1996: Hostile Takeover BETA Release

Q8K2S0L.jpg

On June 23, 1996 Austin's victory speech after winning the 1996 King of the Ring tournament gave rise to the "Austin 3:16" tag line, which would go on to become one of the most popular catchphrases in the history of professional wrestling and the event has been cited by WWE as the starting point of the Attitude Era.

Two weeks later....

Bash at the Beach; Hulk Hogan made his way down to the ring as Nash and Hall fled to the outside. In a surprise move, the longtime fan favorite Hogan then performed two Atomic Legdrops to Savage, revealing himself to be Hall and Nash's partner as The Outsiders returned to the ring to celebrate their new alliance as the stunned crowd looked on. The audience then began to throw trash into the ring. Gene Okerlund entered the ring and asked Hogan why he had turned his back on the fans and how he could align himself with Hall and Nash. Hogan claimed that the three of them were "the future of wrestling" and dubs the new group as "the new world order of wrestling, brother."

Three weeks later....

The rest is up to you!

BETA Release

BETA Release, thought i would release what i have so far so that you can feedback any finding while i continued to work on the pic pack and get it finished for the full release.

First thing you may notice is the mod name change, decided to do away with the obvious Monday Night War name and go with Hostile Takeover.

BETA Data V1.2 (07/06/20): https://www.mediafire.com/file/8rpbe0dhxgz6kiv/1996_Data_%26_Additional_Pics.rar/file

Pick Pack (02/06/20): http://www.mediafire.com/file/janzml3jkk4xgdk/1996_Pic_Pack.rar/file

Skin (Required for full gif support): https://www.mediafire.com/file/eqvd7p1ohczk95x/Hostile_Takeover_Skin.rar/file

*Massive credit to BurningHamster whose January 1996 mod for TEW 2016 I used as base

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gaz, you've been the breakout star of TEW2020. With everything you've contributed to the community already, I cannot wait to see what else you have in store!

Oh, the Rise of Gaz has definitely been the best storyline of 2020 so far, no question.

Also, this is the first time I've seen the trading card style used in-game and not just pictures on the forum, and WOW it looks amazing. Like, by far the best graphics I've ever seen in TEW.

I really hope the idea continues and eventually becomes the standard. Adding people to the nWo and watching the picture change to the black and white is freaking awesome.

The thing that jumped out most to me is contracts. For example, Bret Hart was in negotiations with both companies at this time, and leaves a year later, yet he has 3 years left on his contract.

IIRC this is around the time that Hart was still under contract with WWF, but Vince told him that he couldn't afford to pay his long term contract so he was allowed to see if WCW was willing to match his current offer.

Not sure the best way to replicate that in the mod.

IIRC this is around the time that Hart was still under contract with WWF, but Vince told him that he couldn't afford to pay his long term contract so he was allowed to see if WCW was willing to match his current offer.

Not sure the best way to replicate that in the mod.

No, that was 1997. He re-signed with WWF in October 1996, but he definitely had discussions with Bischoff in the Fall.

The thing that jumped out most to me is contracts. For example, Bret Hart was in negotiations with both companies at this time, and leaves a year later, yet he has 3 years left on his contract.

Bret returned to TV in August and announced he was staying with WWE, he was given $125,000 a month for 3 years and would then recieve a garenteed 7 more years as a Road Agent on a lower amount. He only left because vince did a u turn on the deal and pulled the screw job. You'd have to screw him or fire him to get him off the books or keep in around on the big wage.

If your playing as WCW i would just alter his contract length in the in game editor

Bret returned to TV in August and announced he was staying with WWE, he was given $125,000 a month for 3 years and would then recieve a garenteed 7 more years as a Road Agent on a lower amount. He only left because vince did a u turn on the deal and pulled the screw job. You'd have to screw him or fire him to get him off the books or keep in around on the big wage.

If your playing as WCW i would just alter his contract length in the in game editor

I believe it was a 20 year contract for a million a year, if I remember correctly. Maybe the 3 years was in ring, then he would get less to be a road agent.

I believe it was a 20 year contract for a million a year, if I remember correctly. Maybe the 3 years was in ring, then he would get less to be a road agent.

That's correct, its was 20 not 10, sorry. 3 years in ring and the rest as a road agent.

Great work Gaz. You are really killing it on these 2020 mods.

I do have one request. I cannot read these white text on green buttons. The text just blends into the button itself. I pulled the blue buttons from the default skin and the difference is night and day. If you would, please, make a dark blue button version of the background. The office is the only place that still has green buttons since they are technically part of the background.

Thank you for making this, been playing the mod and I enjoy it. There are a few minor things I noticed while playing as WWF (will do another post when i get around to trying out WCW)

Yokozuna and Owen Hart shouldn't be an active tag team at this point in time. Yokozuna (properly) listed as face was feuding with Camp Cornette during this period.

It makes sense for Bret to be not having matches during this period, but he still did have a few tv appearances before Survivor Series against SCSA. Maybe instead of a hiatus give him a faux injury that still allows him to be in angles?

This is more opinion but I think Arn Anderson should be listed as "deputy" for The Four Horsemen instead of just muscle. During this time period in WCW he was on the mic more often and stood in as leader when Flair wasn't around, instead of just standing menacingly in the background

McMahon and Jesse Ventura should have experience as a commentary team

More of an aesthetic thing but I think Triple H and Vince McMahon could have simmering tension, this isn't too long after the curtain call incident and still during the time he was in the dog house (it wasn't until October of that year he started appearing on tv more often and winning championships)

This final note, maybe it's my style of play that leads to this but I wanted to voice it anyways. I think WWF's popularity should be a bit lower. Instead of 75/76 I think it should be closer to 70. Still medium sized but on the lower end of that. This was during the "dark years" of WWF when Nitro was crushing them in ratings, when many of RAW's matches were still squash/jobber matches and a so-so main event. Again, maybe it's my style of play but I don't think it's "accurate" to have to book all of my main eventers and shoot for top level matches each week just to keep my popularity from dropping.

Great work Gaz. You are really killing it on these 2020 mods.

I do have one request. I cannot read these white text on green buttons. The text just blends into the button itself. I pulled the blue buttons from the default skin and the difference is night and day. If you would, please, make a dark blue button version of the background. The office is the only place that still has green buttons since they are technically part of the background.

Hey bud, ill take a look and see what i can do, ill probably end up giving this mod its own skin in the next week or two any way

Thank you for making this, been playing the mod and I enjoy it. There are a few minor things I noticed while playing as WWF (will do another post when i get around to trying out WCW)

Yokozuna and Owen Hart shouldn't be an active tag team at this point in time. Yokozuna (properly) listed as face was feuding with Camp Cornette during this period.

It makes sense for Bret to be not having matches during this period, but he still did have a few tv appearances before Survivor Series against SCSA. Maybe instead of a hiatus give him a faux injury that still allows him to be in angles?

This is more opinion but I think Arn Anderson should be listed as "deputy" for The Four Horsemen instead of just muscle. During this time period in WCW he was on the mic more often and stood in as leader when Flair wasn't around, instead of just standing menacingly in the background

McMahon and Jesse Ventura should have experience as a commentary team

More of an aesthetic thing but I think Triple H and Vince McMahon could have simmering tension, this isn't too long after the curtain call incident and still during the time he was in the dog house (it wasn't until October of that year he started appearing on tv more often and winning championships)

This final note, maybe it's my style of play that leads to this but I wanted to voice it anyways. I think WWF's popularity should be a bit lower. Instead of 75/76 I think it should be closer to 70. Still medium sized but on the lower end of that. This was during the "dark years" of WWF when Nitro was crushing them in ratings, when many of RAW's matches were still squash/jobber matches and a so-so main event. Again, maybe it's my style of play but I don't think it's "accurate" to have to book all of my main eventers and shoot for top level matches each week just to keep my popularity from dropping.

Thanks for the feedback bud, ill implement everything you have mentioned :D

Quick thing, you have a picture of Satoru Sayama (The first Tiger Mask) as Gran Hamada and the newer Black panther in the CMLL's Black Panther. Btw, if i'm not mistaken this Black Panther should be called Black Warrior by the time the game starts and is a blood relative of Blue Panther.

Still on the Mexican front, CMLL should be the owner of, maybe, Arena Puebla (it's owned by the Lutteroth), maybe, Arena Coliseo Acapulco (can't find confirmation on this one other than Luchawiki saying they sold it) and Arena Coliseo Guadalajara.

The male Awesome Kong using the female Awesome Kong pic.

Hmm... maybe, just maybe, The first Tiger Mask should have a Prickly or Selfish personality? Don't know if it fully fits him but, still, worth a look.

I'm also going to recommend luchawiki.com as a incredible source of info for lucha stuff, including some pictures, family relationships and name history.

Anyway, great job Gaz, can't wait to really start playing this!