Anybody else having a hard time getting past the first booking?

I bought the game to help distract me from the global pandemic. Now with all of the social violence, injustice protests and riots, i just cant get past the first booking. I feel like I have writer’s block. I can honestly say that It feels like U have so many hurdles to jump before the first show. Creating storylines which takes forever, signing wrestlers, checking finances which seems like it takes forever too. But when I finally get all those tasks completed, i get to the first show and just have no motivation or energy to book a show. Anybody relate? Any tips?

I book in 4 seasons block , each season lasts 3 months , the storylines last those 3 months . So when I book storylines I know I have 3 months, 3 PPV to achieve my goal. My storyline goal are normal get this worker over ready for the main title picture next season, just to get one person person over or both , or for my main title to get high ratings. In this I book all my tv contracts and event contracts for 3 months .

If you are not sure who to promote to main title storyline I get a list of contenders and for a 3 months period I track their match performance , the one with the best average I promote .

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Cornells Cousin" data-cite="Cornells Cousin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="50507" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I book in 4 seasons block , each season lasts 3 months , the storylines last those 3 months . So when I book storylines I know I have 3 months, 3 PPV to achieve my goal. My storyline goal are normal get this worker over ready for the main title picture next season, just to get one person person over or both , or for my main title to get high ratings. In this I book all my tv contracts and event contracts for 3 months . <p> </p><p> If you are not sure who to promote to main title storyline I get a list of contenders and for a 3 months period I track their match performance , the one with the best average I promote .</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Awesome. Thank you. I need ideas like this because its like I dont know where to start in terms of game organization and time management</p>

<p><a href="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xkOm1zb5XMk4210Wk4rHIL45LtJlhkSu/view?usp=sharing" rel="external nofollow">https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xkOm1zb5XMk4210Wk4rHIL45LtJlhkSu/view?usp=sharing</a></p><p> </p><p>

Download these, might help give you some inspiration</p><p> </p><p>

Edit: they are hundreds of pre written storylines (not my creation)</p>

<p>I look at it like this. I am new on the job, surely <em>someone</em> knew what was going to happen on the next show before I got hired, right?</p><p> </p><p>

So I autobook. I autobook a lot in general, but look at it like this. Autobook the first show, or first few shows if weekly, see who the AI throws together and generate stories on WHY those people are fighting. Look at their profiles, ranks, title histories and personalities and just make up some stupid reason they are fighting.</p>

I bought the game to help distract me from the global pandemic. Now with all of the social violence, injustice protests and riots, i just cant get past the first booking. I feel like I have writer’s block. I can honestly say that It feels like U have so many hurdles to jump before the first show. Creating storylines which takes forever, signing wrestlers, checking finances which seems like it takes forever too. But when I finally get all those tasks completed, i get to the first show and just have no motivation or energy to book a show. Anybody relate? Any tips?
The real-world issues you mention are perfect for inhibiting creative output. Many professional writers are having a hard time. Additionally, the TEW 2020 user interface -- while improving, happily -- does involve a lot of steps to book a show.

It's entirely understandable that you would have writer's block. Don't beat yourself up about it. Don't think you're alone.

My advice is to go one of these two directions:

1.) Care less, book quicker. Play purely for fun, don't agonize about your decisions. Do silly things that amuse you. Book matchups you'd like to see. Don't worry about "winning" or even perfectly cogent storytelling. Play around with the autobooker for the heck of it.

...or...

2.) Care more, book slower. Dial back your expectations for getting a show out quickly. Dive deeper into the "reality" you're trying to lose yourself in. If you're playing a fictional universe, spend some time daydreaming about finishers and theme music. Think about the real-world storylines you enjoyed the most, then distort them in ways you find interesting. Slow down the creative process so you can savor it more -- there's no rush to get shows out quickly.

Others may well have additional suggestions. Find the ones that work best for you.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MrTroy03" data-cite="MrTroy03" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="50507" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I look at it like this. I am new on the job, surely <em>someone</em> knew what was going to happen on the next show before I got hired, right?<p> </p><p> So I autobook. I autobook a lot in general, but look at it like this. Autobook the first show, or first few shows if weekly, see who the AI throws together and generate stories on WHY those people are fighting. Look at their profiles, ranks, title histories and personalities and just make up some stupid reason they are fighting.</p></div></blockquote><p> I Auto Book every TV show as a starting point, and then use that to develop my show. First I adjust every match that doesn’t make sense or I don’t want to happen (often those 3 vs 3 matches are really stupid so I turn them into tags or change up the workers) and then I figure out the storylines for the show (why is x facing y tonight and what are the events that lead up to it?).</p><p> </p><p> Then I add road agent notes to all the matches and angles and finally add any angles that are missing and I have a show!</p><p> </p><p> Whole thing should take less than 10 minutes once I get into my rhythm, usually a bit longer for the first few shows while I’m getting used to the new company, the roster and the new storylines.</p>

<p>Here's my advice. </p><p> </p><p>

1) Go watch some wrasslin'. Preferably stuff you've never seen before, and is completely out of your normal preferences. Go watch some DDT, go watch early 2000s PRIDE FC, go watch NOAH, Watch some Game Changer, Black Label Pro, w/e grabs you on Youtube. </p><p> </p><p>

2) If you're that blocked, book a 100/0 fed. Take the focus off of the stuff you can't do right now, and focus on developing talent discovering awesome regens, and finding favorites. </p><p> </p><p>

3) Read comics. Comics have a lot of synergy with wrestling storytelling. There is a lot from the golden, silver, and the modern era that you can draw inspiration from.</p>

2.) Care more, book slower. Dial back your expectations for getting a show out quickly. Dive deeper into the "reality" you're trying to lose yourself in. If you're playing a fictional universe, spend some time daydreaming about finishers and theme music. Think about the real-world storylines you enjoyed the most, then distort them in ways you find interesting. Slow down the creative process so you can savor it more -- there's no rush to get shows out quickly.

This is what usually gets me going whenever I'm having a blockade.

Imagine how the arena turns dark and suddenly Scythe stands in the middle of the ring to interrupt the contract signing for the upcoming Rocky Golden vs Remo SWF Championship match. Imagine him double chokeslam both guys through a table and have Duane Fry not know what to say, as he has to find words to close the show.

I remember how I got myself invested in the CV97 mod back in TEW16 days. After reading through bios and history etc, I decided that in my mind Sam Strong was the big draw at the start of HGC (or TCW, I changed the name right away). The first live TV show was all about Strong and how he brings credibility to the new promotion. But at the very end of the first show, just when Strong had pinned Romeo Heartthrob in a throwaway match to give the people a feel-good-moment with the megastar going over, Accept's song Balls To The Wall (yeah sorry, that's my taste of music :D) hits the speakers and Rip Chord makes his shocking debut. This set the tone pretty much for the next nine months for me. And whenever I didn't know exactly how to continue with the main event scene, in my mind I went back to that Rip Chord debut.

This game can be really frustrating creatively, but on the other also very rewarding. I think taking your time and not rushing through things is good advice.

Here's my advice.

1) Go watch some wrasslin'. Preferably stuff you've never seen before, and is completely out of your normal preferences. Go watch some DDT, go watch early 2000s PRIDE FC, go watch NOAH, Watch some Game Changer, Black Label Pro, w/e grabs you on Youtube.

2) If you're that blocked, book a 100/0 fed. Take the focus off of the stuff you can't do right now, and focus on developing talent discovering awesome regens, and finding favorites.

3) Read comics. Comics have a lot of synergy with wrestling storytelling. There is a lot from the golden, silver, and the modern era that you can draw inspiration from.

This. Wrestling Bios on YouTube has awesome 20-25 minute mini documentaries and he covers how the story unfolded in many angles. I listen to one every night and a lot of the time I find myself thinking how I would have changed the booking. How it could have been done better.

Also reading the comments on videos like these give you lots of what if scenarios and other ideas you had never heard or thought of from other people really passionate about wrestling like we are.

Your not the only one who has this problem. In TEW 2016 I was running my longest save ever at 4.5 years. Now that I’m starting over with 2020, I can’t get started. Plus it hasn’t helped that the game doesn’t feel finished with needing so many patches. (That’s another story I don’t want to go down.) I’m hoping this weekend to just dive in and start something. (I got the first few storylines in my head already)

Like a lot of people I'm working from home. I dip in and out of TEW, along with Animal Crossing (and actually working) throughout the day. If an idea comes to me I'll type it up in my saved game spreadsheet. I don't think I ever play the game more than one hour at a time and I think, for me at least, it helps keep everything fresh and keeps me motivated to write and play.

Like a lot of people I'm working from home. I dip in and out of TEW, along with Animal Crossing (and actually working) throughout the day. If an idea comes to me I'll type it up in my saved game spreadsheet. I don't think I ever play the game more than one hour at a time and I think, for me at least, it helps keep everything fresh and keeps me motivated to write and play.

Are you me? :)

To answer the original question; I think it's easy to book the first show if you know where you want the story to end up. I'll usually go through this process:

1. What big match would I like to present in four/five shows time?

2. What would make this match really interesting?

3. What angles would make sense (taking into account the gimmicks, wrestling styles etc)?

4. Who else could get involved in the angles?

Once I have that outline everything else falls into place. Then I start thinking about the gamey side of things; how to get momentum up, who needs to be in the storyline, how can I best use the guys/girls who are going to be involved.

Usually by doing things this way I also get loads of ideas about what could happen after. It ends up that I'm rarely at the end of the story not knowing where to go next, i'll have a few ideas of the consequences of the last story.

The first month is a drag for sure, doing all the things you mentioned. If you have a child promotion and also run 2 or even 3 shows a week, it is really tough.

I get around this by keeping the roster more compact with characters i actually care about, 1 TV show, 1 Event. I remove faces/heels/stables and keep it simple with just storylines and managers. I usually auto-book the TV shows and focus on the big events. Usually the TV shows i edit the title matches and i also add a 3 v 3 on the lower card to book all the younger workers who are not being booked. I also reduce the total companies to 20, to speed up loading times (i just keep the bigger companies and lesser companies in the territory i work in, i kept all of Japan because i have PGHW).

Once you get the rythmn going, you mostly only stop at events or if a worker is up for renew. Not sure for certain, but i think i can probably get through a year in game within 2 1/2 - 3 hours, but i need to check that, maybe i am wrong with the total time. I usually have the game running in the background while i am doing some work, i work from home.

<p>I usually start the save with a singular primary goal and several secondary goals, all focused on worker and character development. Then, depending on the game's mechanics (i.e. product and the pros and cons that go with it), I set out a basic plan on how to accomplish all of the goals.</p><p> </p><p>

In my current main save, the primary goal is to get Emma May over as a Ric Flair-level heel. I then got the bright idea to flip the typical script and essentially make her a babyface in that she has to find whatever way possible to overcome the odds of my hydra of babyfaces (Alicia Strong, Danielle Sweetheart, Alina America, Missy Masterson, and Juana Hurricane). Emma's stable isn't that great (Honey and Marie are not 'ready for primetime' as it is) so she has to overcome that as well. And after winning the title from Alina (in nefarious fashion), she's even more under the gun. It's kind of a twist on the 'Man Under Pressure' type of storyline from C-Verse lore. (Rehashing the actual storyline would be Alexa Bliss 'This Is Your Life' levels of awful IMO). Secondary goals are developing my young talent like Black Diamond, Felicia Luck, Sonnaz Shah, Spider Isako, Coco Malloy, DupliKate, and so on.</p><p> </p><p>

I have to have a focus or else I'm just not motivated to play. I don't autobook ever so every segment is carefully thought through and has a purpose. The match and angle foci allow me to get a lot of people exposure and in-ring work who may not necessarily have gotten that in TEW16's system.</p><p> </p><p>

My suggestion is, start each save with a goal, something to focus your attention on. Once you start, I think you'll find that focus will drive you forward.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Remianen" data-cite="Remianen" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="50507" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I usually start the save with a singular primary goal and several secondary goals, all focused on worker and character development. Then, depending on the game's mechanics (i.e. product and the pros and cons that go with it), I set out a basic plan on how to accomplish all of the goals.<p> </p><p> In my current main save, the primary goal is to get Emma May over as a Ric Flair-level heel. I then got the bright idea to flip the typical script and essentially make her a babyface in that she has to find whatever way possible to overcome the odds of my hydra of babyfaces (Alicia Strong, Danielle Sweetheart, Alina America, Missy Masterson, and Juana Hurricane). Emma's stable isn't that great (Honey and Marie are not 'ready for primetime' as it is) so she has to overcome that as well. And after winning the title from Alina (in nefarious fashion), she's even more under the gun. It's kind of a twist on the 'Man Under Pressure' type of storyline from C-Verse lore. (Rehashing the actual storyline would be Alexa Bliss 'This Is Your Life' levels of awful IMO). Secondary goals are developing my young talent like Black Diamond, Felicia Luck, Sonnaz Shah, Spider Isako, Coco Malloy, DupliKate, and so on.</p><p> </p><p> I have to have a focus or else I'm just not motivated to play. I don't autobook ever so every segment is carefully thought through and has a purpose. The match and angle foci allow me to get a lot of people exposure and in-ring work who may not necessarily have gotten that in TEW16's system.</p><p> </p><p> My suggestion is, start each save with a goal, something to focus your attention on. Once you start, I think you'll find that focus will drive you forward.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Very well put!</p><p> </p><p> I agree about having a goal. I do that too and it really does help drive you forward. I also like creating my own lore for each save that I play. The beauty of the Cverse is that there is a lot of opportunity to fill in blanks and come up with your own history.</p><p> </p><p> For example. In my current SWF save, Rocky Golden is THE GUY and hasn't eaten a clean loss in his two years with the company. Remo is perhaps the most dominant heel in the history of the company. He's the final boss and only a few have beaten him cleanly (Jack Bruce, Steve Frehley and Valiat in my mind). He is the top heel and a victory over him means an awful lot. My main event for the Supreme Challenge is Rocky vs Remo for the SWF World Title and Remo will go over cleanly. He will become the one guy Rocky cannot beat but this will set up another storyline down the road where Rocky finally gets his win and I'm hoping this will get some awesome payoff.</p><p> </p><p> I have about 2 years of a Rocky/Remo feud written out (obviously they will have other feuds in between) and every day I try to add something to it. It's very fun and I can't wait to book my first Supreme Challenge.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="mitsukaikira" data-cite="mitsukaikira" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="50507" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Nope. Not at all.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> This.</p>

With 21CW I normally seem to do OK because they've been my start promotion since TEW 2005 so I have some idea who I want to build around and what I need to do to get them there due to familiarity.

I took advantage of the book on the fly feature for another game I ran though. Set up a developmental company for them and the first show was a title tournament. I left all the results up to the AI, booked placeholder matches with who I thought would win each round and kept going back to change them. The AI picked my first champion and due to the runner up, my first title feud.