Is there any downside to using the "Open Match" instruction in 2020?

I use open match a lot...like a lot a lot...and I've been asking myself the same question, and from what I can gather, there really is no drawback other than it might restrict how fast your guys develop their stats. In my view, having competitive matches is part of my brand (I run ACPW) and by using open match a lot, my whole roster has slowly grown together...and guys taking a loss are maybe still developing because they got a good amount of offense in.

I'm sure there's some drawback...and if you're running a more entertainment style fed with more heavyweights or star wrestlers, you might want to keep them happy by keeping them dominant...but for me, I can't see it.

In 2016 it seemed like it always gave the match rating a boost (and the dirt sheet generally looked like it was trying to confirm this with "well booked" note). The dirt sheet note is gone in 2020, and it at least seems like it might not be broken in that way anymore.

I think if a less popular worker is going over someone more popular cleanly, the open match note might actually make the loser's pop drop more since they would have been expected to get more than half of the offense in probably. I haven't tried it enough to really know, but a couple times it looked like that might have happened so I have stopped putting Open Match in that situation.

I'm don't notice a real difference between when I have an open match and when I don't and I would say I'm 50/50 on using them or not. There are alot of instances where I wouldn't use open match, for instance say I'm having Jeff Jarrett going over Al Snow, they are definitely on different levels on the card but at the same time it's not going to be a short squash match, Jarrett is going to have to work a little bit for the win but not too much. No need to have that match be open.

I really only use open matches if they are on the same level or if I'm having someone lose and don't want to blow their momentum, it will be an open match and the loser will be protected.

Because not all wrestlers are equally good. A "High Spots" "Open Match" between Jack Evans and Jake Hager is not going to be as good as a normal "High Spots" match between the two. Because in such a match Jake Hager's High Flying skills aren't portrayed to be equal to Jack Evans' High Flying skills.

Not sure how directly it translates to 2020, but two great wrestlers, with similar popularity, momentum and being Major Stars are already on equal footing, so a "Open Match" wouldn't change that.

As someone above said...it's more about making less "over" workers seem on the same level as more "over" workers. Irl all of Cody's AEW TNT Championship matches are this way.

I THINK open match effects the level of success for the individual workers involved.

I think in a regular match between a Major Star and a Recognizable worker, running it normally with the Major Star winning will see a bigger pop or momentum gain for that star than it would if you used "open match", which makes it a more neutral segment for both talents as the Recognizable will lose very little momentum or pop if any. Rather than a major or minor victory for one over the other.

I dont know if this makes sense or if its even right. Its something I think I've noticed. So it could be seen as a negative if used improperly.

I've generally found it most successful in matches with workers at the same level of perception. It might be redundant or even a bad thing depending on what youre trying to do if youre using it in a match with workers at different levels of perception.

<p>I use Open Match when:</p><p> </p><p>

1. In a match where the less good member of a tag team should look as good as their partner. Some of this could involve the RL strategy of toning down the better partner to the slower one's speed. Or in other moments where teams like Owen and Yoko would keep both members looking great, despite that Yoko was perceived as a deadly force and former world champion while Owen floated between the Midcard and Upper Midcard, generally through association or feuds with more over stars than himself. Owen wasn't made to be the weak guy with Yoko the strong guy - they were both strong in different areas.</p><p> </p><p>

2. In a multi-man match where one or more person needs to look as good as the people above them. This helps justify the presence of 1-2 people who are one perception category beneath the main ones there. Two Major Stars and one Star, for example.</p><p> </p><p>

3. In a DQ, Draw, or Sports Entertainment, Dusty Finish, Flash Pinfall. In these situations I usually want the match to look even until the end.</p><p> </p><p>

4. When I have a very disproportionate skill difference between two people, such as Undertaker vs Giant Gonzalas. You can't make Gonzalas perform better, but Undertaker can control the situation and tone down his own work rate to match his opponent.</p><p> </p><p>

I will reflect on the Boxing Match with Mr. T vs Roddy Piper. What was supposed to happen, is Mr. T comes out looking as good as Wladimir Klitschko. What actually happened is, Piper (without meaning to), made Mr. T look really bad. T got chumped and looked defenseless, and Piper would fall down and open himself up for good shots but T didn't recognize them. Piper had boxing experience and T didn't. </p><p> </p><p>

This could have worked if they booked "Open Match", and they rehearsed it a few times so that Piper could really shine up Mr. T and keep his own "game" paced on T's performance. To me, this is what Open Match should be for.</p><p> </p><p>

About the Hager vs Jack Evans, High Spots, Open Match - you're not going to make Hager's high flying look equal but you can make Jack pace his spots on Hager's movements. If I remember correctly, Open Match is more about overness/perception than skill? I wonder if Psychology should have something to say about Open Match if Skill is involved. Evans and Hager's psychology would have to make up the difference in an Open High Spots match. If the Open Match only cares about Perception/Overness, it would represent Evans hitting (or missing) all of his spots, while Hager over sells, lands an occasional impact or power move, and works "with" the skill gap by making that the match story, rather than trying to pretend they're equal. Hager might not be great at moonsaults, but he can still use the Hager Bomb, Gutwrench Powerbomb, Ankle Lock, and a military press - do something through a table.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="thadian" data-cite="thadian" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="51367" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> 4. When I have a very disproportionate skill difference between two people, such as Undertaker vs Giant Gonzalas. You can't make Gonzalas perform better, but Undertaker can control the situation and tone down his own work rate to match his opponent.</p><p> </p><p> I will reflect on the Boxing Match with Mr. T vs Roddy Piper. What was supposed to happen, is Mr. T comes out looking as good as Wladimir Klitschko. What actually happened is, Piper (without meaning to), made Mr. T look really bad. T got chumped and looked defenseless, and Piper would fall down and open himself up for good shots but T didn't recognize them. Piper had boxing experience and T didn't. </p><p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think for this one you've conflated Open Match with notes like Protect, Keep it Simple, and Script Match that are designed to hide flaws. Which is a bit weird since in describing the last example with Hager/Evans you kind of switched back to Open match being about the kayfabe portrayal.</p>