WMMA5 vs WMMA3

I have WMMA3 and have played it off and on over the years. I am playing around now with the demo for WMMA5.

Can someone who has played both games compare them? What are the improvements? Why is WMMA5 a better game?

I am more of a boxing fan and not very familiar with the world of MMA, although I watch MMA bouts on TV from time to time. That is why I am asking you guys to evaluate this game.

Is WMMA5 a realistic simulation of the MMA world?

For those who have played WMMA3 and WMMA5, are you happy with version 5? Is it immersive? Are there things that WMMA3 does better?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

WMMA 3 is my favorite game of the series. That being said there are a lot of improvements/QoL stuff that weren't in 3. Biggest being the automatic contract renewals. Take a look at the developer journal for 5- http://greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=539451 which has a list of improvements from 4.

If you enjoy playing 3 you'll likely enjoy 5. Up to you to decide if that's worth the $$$.

Antonin,

I think I am familiar with you through TBCB forums? I spent many, many years over there and love that game very much. I think you would absolutely love WMMA5.

My previous experience was with WMMA 1 & 2 and I can tell you that compared to 5, it's like night and day. I don't have all the features/comparisons in front of me but I can say that WMMA 5 is very smooth. The ease of contracts (which can be handled automatically) is great, I love the matchmaking (which includes an 'assistant' that can show you hometown fighters, main events, etc), the easy of things as simple as seeing how many people you have in a weight class, who can fight in a specific weight class and can change with 1 click, the ability so see which fighters haven't fought within 30,60 or 90+ days, the ability to see who has yet to have their debut fight with your company, CATCHWEIGHT FIGHTS (!), suspensions, scandals, social media challenges leading to great fights....I could go on an on.

WMMA 5 is very immersive....I cannot stop playing it! I realize you are more of a boxing guy but this game completely satisfies your need to really go in depth in scheduling fight cards. And you will also start getting into the phenomenal mods (personally I love the Global-Verse mod) that will allow you to build your own WMMA world from the ground up. Its great.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. This forum is very much like the friendly forum over at TBCB and we'd love your participation. Great to hear from you and I hope you give WMMA 5 some serious consideration.

@zenification - Yes, that's me on the OOTP/TBCB forum. I've been a member there for a really long time, maybe since 2002. Playing WMMA3 and the demo of WMMA5 I can't help but think that if TBCB had some of those features...wow! But I'm 63 years old and I know there is not going to be a boxing sim like that in my lifetime.

I have been playing WMMA3 on our new (February 2020) computer. I am getting much more deeply into it than I did back when I bought it. Discovering features every day. And I am really enjoying the WMMA5 demo. I read the "new features" section of the WMMA5 demo and I'm really, really impressed, although I like the "look" of WMMA3 a little more. The darker colors, the octagon-shapes, etc.

All of the things you mention about WMMA5 are things that really make it attractive. Matchmaking, the option for automatic contracts, seeing who hasn't fought in a certain amount of time... I'm going to buy the game today.

The only thing I don't like about WMMA3 and WMMA5 is the fighter illustrations. They are a little too "cartoony" for me. But of course, many MMA fighters look "cartoony" in real life, haha.

One thing I love about the description of WMMA5 is that there is no real "winning." You play for the fun experience of managing a company, managing your own MMA universe.

And I also love the fact that WMMA3 and WMMA5 use fonts that are easy to read. Fonts for game data, fonts for in-fight commentary. I have a big, big problem with the fonts used in Wolverine's sports management games. Their games give me eye strain and headaches.

I have been watching MMA on TV a bit more lately. Last week or weekend I saw a series of fights by someone called Anderson Silva. Pretty impressive. Last night [October 26] there was a fight by two guys, I forgot the names, that was mostly grappling, with one guy repeatedly stomping on the other's foot. Not interesting at all. The fights with women were good, although I am not a fan of women in boxing or MMA.

I don't know much about MMA. I know a little about Conor McGregor, and I enjoy his very entertaining whiskey commercials. Maybe hanging around this forum will help me learn. I hope nobody will laugh at my dumb questions!

Here's one: at the start of the game, is the universe populated by real fighters?

In both WMMA3 and WMMA5, I have started out by running SIGMA. Is this the default beginner company? What company do most people start with?

@zenification - Yes, that's me on the OOTP/TBCB forum. I've been a member there for a really long time, maybe since 2002. Playing WMMA3 and the demo of WMMA5 I can't help but think that if TBCB had some of those features...wow! But I'm 63 years old and I know there is not going to be a boxing sim like that in my lifetime.

I have been playing WMMA3 on our new (February 2020) computer. I am getting much more deeply into it than I did back when I bought it. Discovering features every day. And I am really enjoying the WMMA5 demo. I read the "new features" section of the WMMA5 demo and I'm really, really impressed, although I like the "look" of WMMA3 a little more. The darker colors, the octagon-shapes, etc.

All of the things you mention about WMMA5 are things that really make it attractive. Matchmaking, the option for automatic contracts, seeing who hasn't fought in a certain amount of time... I'm going to buy the game today.

The only thing I don't like about WMMA3 and WMMA5 is the fighter illustrations. They are a little too "cartoony" for me. But of course, many MMA fighters look "cartoony" in real life, haha.

One thing I love about the description of WMMA5 is that there is no real "winning." You play for the fun experience of managing a company, managing your own MMA universe.

And I also love the fact that WMMA3 and WMMA5 use fonts that are easy to read. Fonts for game data, fonts for in-fight commentary. I have a big, big problem with the fonts used in Wolverine's sports management games. Their games give me eye strain and headaches.

I have been watching MMA on TV a bit more lately. Last week or weekend I saw a series of fights by someone called Anderson Silva. Pretty impressive. Last night [October 26] there was a fight by two guys, I forgot the names, that was mostly grappling, with one guy repeatedly stomping on the other's foot. Not interesting at all. The fights with women were good, although I am not a fan of women in boxing or MMA.

I don't know much about MMA. I know a little about Conor McGregor, and I enjoy his very entertaining whiskey commercials. Maybe hanging around this forum will help me learn. I hope nobody will laugh at my dumb questions!

Here's one: at the start of the game, is the universe populated by real fighters?

In both WMMA3 and WMMA5, I have started out by running SIGMA. Is this the default beginner company? What company do most people start with?

I think SIGMA or BCF are perfect starting companies, don't know what most people think. There are also monthly mods with real world fighters, that you can find here. Hope you have a great time playing WMMA 5, it's surely one of the best sports simulators available!

Thanks. I will stick to the default game for now. For one thing, I don't know many MMA fighters anyway, so having a real-world mod won't mean much to me. Another thing, I see that many if not most of the mods are on mediafire and not hosted here by Grey Dog. I am very reluctant to click on a link and download something from a site I know very little about.

It's ok, though. This is an amazing game as-is. Every time I play I am discovering new features.

I have no idea why I started with SIGMA when I first began playing WMMA3. Oh well. Right now I have a WMMA3 save as GAMMA and a WMMA5 save as SIGMA. I just discovered that my SIGMA can have shows in London, which is more lucrative than Germany! And I just signed a PPV deal with some company or other. Very interesting.

WMMA 3 is my favorite game of the series. That being said there are a lot of improvements/QoL stuff that weren't in 3. Biggest being the automatic contract renewals.

This.

And though 3 is my favorite, I can never go back. :p

Actually, if you don't know many real fighters, real world might actually be better. The offputting thing is that stats are often inaccurrate for non-top5'ers. If you don't know or care, what's not to like.

My SIGMA game from back in 3 was probably one of my favorite runs ever. You're somewhat protected from poaching and it has some stacked divisions which are a lot of fun to follow.

<p>I personally always start with GAMMA as a starter company. I just find it easier to play as. You start with loads of talent and money. </p><p> </p><p>

I am not sure if I ever played as SIGMA in WMMA5 or not. I don't think I have or if I did, I stopped after all of my talent got raided (I can't recall if that was my WMMA4 or 5 save that happened in.).</p>

This.

And though 3 is my favorite, I can never go back. :p

Actually, if you don't know many real fighters, real world might actually be better. The offputting thing is that stats are often inaccurrate for non-top5'ers. If you don't know or care, what's not to like.

My SIGMA game from back in 3 was probably one of my favorite runs ever. You're somewhat protected from poaching and it has some stacked divisions which are a lot of fun to follow.

In my current SIGMA game in WMMA5, my big problem is that other companies keep signing away my fighters. I can't get to know them because they are never around long enough. My belt holders don't stick around for more than 1 defense. I have been signing a lot of guys recommended by the advisor, even the not-so-good ones, just so I can have enough fighters to continue to run regular shows.

Any suggestions on how to keep fighters around? Right now they won't sign exclusive contracts. Will they sign exclusive contracts if SIGMA gets more popular?

I have a save in WMMA3 where I play GAMMA.

In my current SIGMA game in WMMA5, my big problem is that other companies keep signing away my fighters. I can't get to know them because they are never around long enough. My belt holders don't stick around for more than 1 defense. I have been signing a lot of guys recommended by the advisor, even the not-so-good ones, just so I can have enough fighters to continue to run regular shows.

Any suggestions on how to keep fighters around? Right now they won't sign exclusive contracts. Will they sign exclusive contracts if SIGMA gets more popular?

I usually give them a huge pay bonus, more guaranteed fights over more years, and sometimes bump the regular pay up a thousand or few thousand. That was my problem with SIGMA but I found out they usually dont say no to a 20k bonus once you make profit.

Simply outbid them. You won't go bankrupt, because the fighters are worth every penny, even if you sometimes might have to pay twice more than the competition. I only found out that this can work in WMMA 5, but since you've got a lot of money and I'm guessing all or most shows turn a good profit, running out of cash with SIGMA is unlikely.