[RELEASE] CV97 / Cornellverse 1997 (Updated: 20th Aug 2021)

Yay! Can't wait to try it out. Can you elaborate a bit on how the broadcasting changes are implemented?

Broadly speaking, most broadcasters are a lot smaller. I've changed a LOT of debut dates and added a LOT of new networks so there are a lot more options early on to cover a lot of different types. Pay per view broadcasters in particular are a lot smaller now which means a lot of larger companies are getting far less revenue. Regardless of size, the requirements to get on networks are still fairly high so it'll cost more to do less, which helps to balance out the finances within the game.

Internet broadcasters also start out with very small reach and grow over time, and there are a lot of broadcaster changes in general to give something of a rise and fall over time. Staying on the same broadcaster forever may not be good for you and it's deliberately designed so that you won't see all the changes happen, giving some sharp eyed people more chances to do better (or worse) depending on how things go.

I'm proud of the work I've put in on there, and if anyone wants to take the broadcasters and do a slightly tweaked default Cornellverse with them, you are welcome to, because I'm too lazy. :p

Damn, I have just started a long RTG game a week ago, already into 1999. If I remember correctly there's not option to add these changes to an existing game other than just copying all your broadcaster changes by hand? I might just do that because everyone seems to be hoarding money. A new TEW update really needs to balance the money balloon problem.

Also here's a Hardcore Alliance logo if anyone needs one since I made it for my game.

https://imgur.com/a/JZY3tg0

Broadly speaking, most broadcasters are a lot smaller. I've changed a LOT of debut dates and added a LOT of new networks so there are a lot more options early on to cover a lot of different types. Pay per view broadcasters in particular are a lot smaller now which means a lot of larger companies are getting far less revenue. Regardless of size, the requirements to get on networks are still fairly high so it'll cost more to do less, which helps to balance out the finances within the game.

Internet broadcasters also start out with very small reach and grow over time, and there are a lot of broadcaster changes in general to give something of a rise and fall over time. Staying on the same broadcaster forever may not be good for you and it's deliberately designed so that you won't see all the changes happen, giving some sharp eyed people more chances to do better (or worse) depending on how things go.

I'm proud of the work I've put in on there, and if anyone wants to take the broadcasters and do a slightly tweaked default Cornellverse with them, you are welcome to, because I'm too lazy. :p

That sounds very interesting, more than happy to give it a spin and let you know how it goes

Damn, I have just started a long RTG game a week ago, already into 1999. If I remember correctly there's not option to add these changes to an existing game other than just copying all your broadcaster changes by hand? I might just do that because everyone seems to be hoarding money. A new TEW update really needs to balance the money balloon problem.

Also here's a Hardcore Alliance logo if anyone needs one since I made it for my game.

https://imgur.com/a/JZY3tg0

Yeah, you won't be able to import the changes to various networks, you'd have to start a new game for those or make manual changes which would be a lot of work. But download the data, it'll be ready for you for next time you start a game, isn't like the old data was bad. :)

That sounds very interesting, more than happy to give it a spin and let you know how it goes

Cheers, all feedback appreciated. It's definitely a LOT harder for human players now, but we'll always have the advantage over the AI. :)

• 1 month later...

I don't know how many people are playing this but I am having a ball!:D

My desire was to play the 70's mod, but it felt a little incomplete even after I tried to fix a few problems (like Broadcaster not around yet, but has a show), and get it going :mad:. I can't find a current post by MTJTdjthefunkchris :p so for now I've moved on. :cool:

I've played the default data multiple times, and didn't get into it like 2016. I was about to give up and then I said... I still haven't played Derek's mod yet :o, and I always loved his mod too. ;)

So glad I did! It feels so rounded out, dare I say even more than the default data that it's based on (despite Self's points, :rolleyes:). I don't think I felt quite this way about this mod in earlier iterations, although I've certainly felt it to be complete, and outside of the 75 mod and at times That 70's mod way back when..... 2010 :eek:? This has been my favorite C-verse mod for well over a decade. This time around it seems even better, and since I didn't have that same feeling with the default data (although obviously felt the AI was better-best part of the upgrade IMO), I just wanted to take time to give props to Derek, and say THANK YOU!

I don't know how many people are playing this but I am having a ball!:D

My desire was to play the 70's mod, but it felt a little incomplete even after I tried to fix a few problems (like Broadcaster not around yet, but has a show), and get it going :mad:. I can't find a current post by MTJTdjthefunkchris :p so for now I've moved on. :cool:

I've played the default data multiple times, and didn't get into it like 2016. I was about to give up and then I said... I still haven't played Derek's mod yet :o, and I always loved his mod too. ;)

So glad I did! It feels so rounded out, dare I say even more than the default data that it's based on (despite Self's points, :rolleyes:). I don't think I felt quite this way about this mod in earlier iterations, although I've certainly felt it to be complete, and outside of the 75 mod and at times That 70's mod way back when..... 2010 :eek:? This has been my favorite C-verse mod for well over a decade. This time around it seems even better, and since I didn't have that same feeling with the default data (although obviously felt the AI was better-best part of the upgrade IMO), I just wanted to take time to give props to Derek, and say THANK YOU!

Nice addition of the record tracker there too.

I think I've asked for the singles filter in match history for 2 times now, but unfortunately Adam's not keen on adding it. Maybe it's more complex an addition than I thought. :p

But I guess this solves part of that problem, because I do in fact use a lot of multi-man matches and the necessary info is just too fragmented.

Still haven't gotten around a new playthrough but I most definitely will soon. After screwing up my last HGC through financial mismanagement and some key errors in worker management I was humbled as a player. :p

I'm so happy I came back to check the forums. Haven't been here in what feels like a year. Stopped playing TEW20 because of how easy it was compared to prior versions. This was always my favorite mod, due to all the guys (and gals) I loved being on the back end or gone in 20. Happy to see you've upped the difficulty for the human player and prevent the CPU from hoarding mountains of cash. Can't wait to get another save going!

• 1 month later...

Having played CV97 for the past couple of weeks, I noticed that, while the broadcaster revamp helps a lot with finances, it severly hampers popularity gains of workers as not enough people are watching.

With my go to company, NOTBPW, it was impossible for upper carders and main eventers to gain popularity while losing pop every time they lost a match, resulting in my company having no stars or major stars at all.

Not sure how to fix this, as the intended consquences are indeed working as advertised, making it a very nice change in theory.

Otherwise I have to say that CV97 is still by far the best mod out there. Reliving the glory days of the CV is a complete blast!

Thanks for the feedback... the companies with very small broadcasters will definitely have upper limits on how popular people can be. I could have done some work to change some popularity levels of companies and workers to balance differently with the changes but in sims the AI generally moved companies to better deals down the line and I didn't want to change too much of the data with the broadcaster changes too.

GCG and NOTBPW would be the main companies affected here, CGC perhaps too. The two main things players can do is protect their top stars to make sure they don't lose popularity and look to get better broadcasting deals, which should be possible more or less immediately or with a little time booking some shows to raise company popularity in the right areas. :)

• 5 weeks later...

In preparation of my eventual game, I've run a watcher to see what impact any changes have.

HGC lost their PPV deal after the first year. NOTBPW and CGC are down to running monthly shows. Afaik, neither have ever had their weekly show scrapped. Even worse, HGC has resorted to taping 4 shows on a single day, even though they have everyone on written contracts. Even if this is some freak occurence, this should never happen. It didn't happen in v1.02 (and not in 1.0 for that matter).

I think it's limited to the N-America area. Somehow NOTBPW doesn't "get" that it can sign 5 smaller deals instead of waiting for what will theoretically be an eternity to get their show back on air. Maybe the AI gets blocked because of foreign PPV deals still being in place? I don't know.

Obviously this database is phenomenal, but for watchers like this one it's painful to see big companies struggle when they shouldn't.

EDIT: Looks like NOTB was involved in a scandal 3 months before their run ended. Maybe that's why it happened? Either way they're without a weekly show for years now...

And CGC probably just provided a crappy product with a turd of a show (Soldiers of Fortune vs Condor & Dog... Yikes) right before the network pulled the plug. Makes sense. :p

As for HGW: it's still the same problem as before. The AI is set up to fail as they can impossibly prolong their PPV deal. I can somehow make sense of that, but why aren't they going for American Option?

In another watcher game they did end up switching back to their core product, which unlocks the PPV deal again.

So not saying anything really has to change, but I'd advise to just scrap the TV deal for the Canadian companies so they can at least keep doing their shows.

Is Hotstuff Marie in this mod? I've just hit June 2003 when she's supposed to debut, and was going to start her epic love story with Jack DeColt... but I can't find her anywhere. I'm using v0.99. Just need to know if I should use editor shenanigans to make her.

I hadn't considered that they met outside of wrestling... but of course they did. It's right there in the bio.

That's a gut punch. I'm trying to play a 'canon' game, keeping to title histories and roster changes... but I guess I'm willing to roll with punches. Injuries happen. Turns flop. And as of June 2003 Jack DeColt isn't dating anyone, outside or inside the business.

Is this the change to history that saves CGC, I wonder? No Marie means no cheating scandal. Maybe Eddie Chandler and Nate Johnson stay. Maybe that doesn't even matter. Exciting.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this is a bug/mistake or not but it seems incredibly odd to me, I know you did some changes to broadcasters in 1.03 but I said I'd put it in here anyway and I don't think anybody has mentioned this previously.

Australia Options and EuroNet PPV services have extremely low entry requirements allowing companies from other regions (US, Canada and Japan) to expand into those regions early in the game. I understand SWF have TV deal in Britain and Ireland as well (which opens them up for a TV deal for Uprising on UK Broadcasting Auz/NZ) which is fine but it's weird they are able to get PPV in Australia and Europe. Australia Options ask for 8 pop in 1 area and Euronet PPV Services ask for 0 pop in 0 areas as long as you are Medium they'll allow you to get a deal with them, which seems weird.

If this is working as intended that's fine but it seems odd to me.

Australia Options are set up that way so that big companies in the generally most important parts of the world can get on PPV there. The US spills over at a rate of 20% so just requires a Medium level company with 40+ popularity across the US to get a deal. Japanese companies get 10% spillover so need 80% pop across Japan to get a deal and meet the requirements. And of course, Aussie companies need to be Medium sized which has varying possible requirements but is generally 59 or 65 pop in selected areas of Oceania. So yeah, that's working perfectly as intended and simulates some of the ways major companies can expand to other regions of the world. :)

EURONET require decent productions levels and the media group are actively trying to get decent quality content from wherever they can, so that's a relatively low entry level but again, totally expected for some significant deals to get on there. They only have 3 broadcast slots so no issue there.

Hotstuff Maria can easily be imported... so could someone like Lucy Stone-McFly or the real Elemental III.... all people who have to have specific things happen in order to exist. See also Jennifer Cornell, who I didn't put in the data in order to keep someone like Tommy Cornell Jr in by making it much harder for Tommy and Jennifer to seperate and put an end to that family line. ;)

What about the Canada situation? Have you thought about that? I still haven't committed to a long-term game but I'm fearful of the situation turning into crap like in pretty much half of my sims.

It's a huge deal actually and shouldn't be ignored, and it baffles me that only a few people mention this problem. But... yeah... it's Canada so I guess not everybody cares. :p

Maybe I can tweak the performance expectations, if it's a lack of quality product as the AI of CGC and NOTB can produce some real turds of cards. I'll try it.

What about the Canada situation? Have you thought about that? I still haven't committed to a long-term game but I'm fearful of the situation turning into crap like in pretty much half of my sims.

It's a huge deal actually and shouldn't be ignored, and it baffles me that only a few people mention this problem. But... yeah... it's Canada so I guess not everybody cares. :p

Maybe I can tweak the performance expectations, if it's a lack of quality product as the AI of CGC and NOTB can produce some real turds of cards. I'll try it.

Based on what you said in your previous post about Canada, CGC lost their deal because they put on poor shows, which can happen when the mod is set up to be tougher than the default and the AI makes some significant mistakes. And NOTBPW lost their deals when broadcasters wouldn't touch them because of a scandal, there's nothing I can set up to change how scandals work and very limited options I would have to control where they run shows in order to try to make sure they visit different areas IF the lose all their broadcasters..... it can be done by fixing events to certain locations just in case, but putting them outside their main base for those could really hurt them financially in a mod balanced to be tough for that already, which I'm hesitant to do.

You could try tweaking the deals yourself to something you think is better, like putting them on poor timeslots for nationally broadcast deals (which might require tweaking the broadcasters to allow for companies with popularity in fewer regions), but that will change how those companies grow and make money so I can't accurately predict how that'll play out.

But like I said at the start here, you covered what happened to both companies in the one save you mentioned there and that's just stuff that can happen. A harsher balanced save is going to lead to harsher things happening in the world in general, just sucks for Canadian wrestling fans there. :p

• 2 weeks later...

One more thing Derek, I'm sure you've explained this before in previous TEW versions of this mod but I said I'd ask anyway.

Why is RPW based in the Mid Atlantic? They were supposed to be in the East Coast Wars but because they don't hold shows in Tri-State they aren't involved in the regional battles. Also, I looked at the 2020 default database and RPW is set to be based in the Tri-State and in it's bio states that it is based in Pittsburgh which is in Tri-State.