WMMA 5 Rerender Project

I'm not even a WMMA guy (TEW) but I find myself coming here every few weeks and just being amazed at the work being done. :D

Also find myself wishing some crossed over. :p

thank you! if you would ever want any specific tew work done let me know, i did do a good amount of tew renders a bit back.

Templeton Crumb

3bOWZHu.gif4xdbosM.gif

Tobu Sorkin

HEN5J95.gifHzzFGlu.gif

Ken Peters

tNL5ppY.gifCUzLyNH.gif

Norman Pike

VNj3jES.gifAtjQxod.gif

Sharaku Kon

JvgMWqc.gifFbg5cTg.gif

Jonathan Huang

29zLrjk.gif9b0oNOn.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work, cooldude. :)

I'm pretty sure Go Yamamoto and Jonathan Huang were some of my first WMMA renders way back when for the original WMMA! :eek:

I'll let you into a little secret, i'm pretty sure the "flames" on Go Yamamoto were actually an eyeball texture. (don't ask me which one as it was well over a decade ago!! lol)

Thank you cooldude!:) They've all been so great, but from the last few posts, Go Yamamoto and Jonathan Huang in particular are hugely appreciated over here. Absolutely perfect.

Nice work, cooldude. :)

I'm pretty sure Go Yamamoto and Jonathan Huang were some of my first WMMA renders way back when for the original WMMA! :eek:

I'll let you into a little secret, i'm pretty sure the "flames" on Go Yamamoto were actually an eyeball texture. (don't ask me which one as it was well over a decade ago!! lol)

appreciate it guys! replacing 15 year old renders like that is kind of weird because it feels like there's some "legacy" i have to live up to. it's still enjoyable to do though.

Pip Mercurial

FsIMEoU.gifhyN9O1P.gif

Sho Kitabatake

gB1DaXe.gifaxg7Nre.gif

Pavel Radulov

xUTvc4H.gif01H3aSF.gif

appreciate it guys! replacing 15 year old renders like that is kind of weird because it feels like there's some "legacy" i have to live up to. it's still enjoyable to do though.

That feeling is understandable. There are plenty that are outdated and clearly need to be replaced (no disrespect implied, surely none inferred as Undertaker's own re-renders show that the technology and the skill level today, compared to the WMMA1 era, is night and day) but I'm simply so attached to the original that a re-render has to REALLY capture whatever it is about them, be it their appearance or just the personality it gives off to me, before I can see it as that character. That's a difficult task I imagine, but you both do a fantastic job of it. For me, these days re-renders are only potentially competing with other re-renders.:D

That feeling is understandable. There are plenty that are outdated and clearly need to be replaced (no disrespect implied, surely none inferred as Undertaker's own re-renders show that the technology and the skill level today, compared to the WMMA1 era, is night and day) but I'm simply so attached to the original that a re-render has to REALLY capture whatever it is about them, be it their appearance or just the personality it gives off to me, before I can see it as that character. That's a difficult task I imagine, but you both do a fantastic job of it. For me, these days re-renders are only potentially competing with other re-renders.:D

I have no qualms about anyone re-doing a render i've done in the past, especially if it's one from over a decade ago! Some simply aren't that great and i'll freely admit that, which is why i've re-rendered some myself.

I might jokingly say something like, "How dare you!", if it's one of my faves like Ozzy Bintley... i'm still angry at you, cooldude! :p (but obviously i'm not being serious)

There is somewhat of an attachment to a character though, possibly moreso if it's one of the major ones. I created the original Hassan Fezzik and Julio Regueiro, but I wanted to re-do them all these years later so I did. Even though I did the originals and the re-renders posted in this thread, which I believe are far better, there is still a part of me that thinks, "Well that's not Fezzik/Reguerio", because i've been so used to the older renders. lol

I also did the original James Foster, but i'll happily admit that the render he was replaced with (I can't remember which WMMA iteration) was better than my orginal!

As i've said in this thread and others, I love to see what other people come up with in comparison to what I originally did. Looking back on some of my TEW renders from 2006/07 are, putting it politely, rather poop, but they served a purpose at the time and i'd likely be able to count on one hand which ones I think still hold up. (more for WMMA though)

It only makes sense - especially if you've played the game for ages like me - that you make the connections between the original renders and the character. I still use "vintage" Fezzik too. Just can't switch him up. Same thing with Dean.

The renders might look outdated now but it was fine then and by gawd it should be fine now! :cool:

Same thing with TEW. Given I've never played C-verse past 2010 I have no real problems replacing renders as I simply haven't made the connection in my brain. But the iconic renders like Cornell, Mushashibo and J-Ro... I'll on ly replace those when it looked a lot (imo) like the originals.

definitely an interesting topic to think about it. for me i dont have a problem replacing old renders for iconic fighters, but i still have a mental picture of exactly how their old renders used to look, even including the ones i replaced months ago.

Damien Jones

9Aprk1v.gif2xjuaEe.gif

Riley Huxtable

6tHLLHI.gifw0zzcqi.gif

Aleksander Ivanov

R1Nfsqr.gifrFaemcK.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...