Issue with exclusive written contracts...

Apologies if this has been asked/answered already - spent ages trying to search the forums for it and came up blank...

I have workers who were in a written contract with other companies that I signed to an exclusive written deal (with iron clad clause), however, they're still working for other companies.

Sometimes, it said they left the other company after a certain period of time, so I assumed it was a notice period or something, but I have a couple where it's been months, and they're still working for both companies.

Figured it was some kind of glitch, as I'm playing with a real world mod database that I customised myself, but thought I would check to see if it was a known issue and if there was a fix.

TIA

Written contracts are written contracts, no matter what. They will always last the entire length of the contract. (Except for non-iron clad ones, I think)

That's what I mean... if a worker has a written contract somewhere, then I sign him to an exclusive written contract with an iron clad clause, shouldn't that mean he has to end his old deal? Not very "exclusive" otherwise...

And if it doesn't, why would it let me sign them to an exclusive deal in the first place?

If you sign someone on a written deal for 120 days, the worker is contractly obliged to work for that company for 120 days.

Signing a contract elsewhere doesn't change that. If you sign someone on a Exclusive Contract, they will become exclusive to you once all their other contractly obliged days have run out

If you sign someone on a written deal for 120 days, the worker is contractly obliged to work for that company for 120 days.

Signing a contract elsewhere doesn't change that. If you sign someone on a Exclusive Contract, they will become exclusive to you once all their other contractly obliged days have run out

Ah, okay. So regardless of the exclusive deal with me, they have to work the remainder of their non-exclusive written deal elsewhere?

Good to know, thanks.

I still think that doesn't make sense. If they aren't able to be exclusive to me when signing the contract, I shouldn't be allowed to sign them.

Ah, okay. So regardless of the exclusive deal with me, they have to work the remainder of their non-exclusive written deal elsewhere?

Good to know, thanks.

I still think that doesn't make sense. If they aren't able to be exclusive to me when signing the contract, I shouldn't be allowed to sign them.

Why not? Unless they're already exclusive elsewhere nothing prevents a promoter to sign someone - who works elsewhere already - to a contract. Usually you would sign them to exclusive deals when their other deals run out, but that isn't a requirement.

A warning would be nice. We used to get one for signing PPA guys to Written deals, just letting us know it'll take a week. "Wrestler X won't become exclusive until his existing Written deals are completed. Are you sure you want to continue?".

It would clarify things.

Why not? Unless they're already exclusive elsewhere nothing prevents a promoter to sign someone - who works elsewhere already - to a contract. Usually you would sign them to exclusive deals when their other deals run out, but that isn't a requirement.

Yes, if they're not exclusive somewhere, I should be allowed to sign them... but not exclusively. Signing an exclusive deal means you don't work for anyone other than the company you just signed for. If the worker can't be exclusive when they sign the dotted line, it shouldn't allow us to sign them to an exclusive deal at all. As things stand, my worker signed an exclusive, iron clad contract with me, but isn't exclusive because he still has to work for other people. It's a contradiction in terms.

I would argue that it works absolutely fine.

If for instance, Kenny Omega is signed to a written contract with New Japan in your game... and then you create AEW and sign him to an exclusive written contract... what happens is that the value you get in the interim for having the exclusive written deal is that not only will Omega not be able to re-sign with New Japan when his deal with them expires, but he will not sign with any other companies beyond the moment you sign him exclusively.

If for instance, Kenny Omega is signed to a written contract with New Japan in your game... and then you create AEW and sign him to an exclusive written contract... what happens is that the value you get in the interim for having the exclusive written deal is that not only will Omega not be able to re-sign with New Japan when his deal with them expires, but he will not sign with any other companies beyond the moment you sign him exclusively.

There may be benefits, but I still argue that it defeats the point of an exclusive contract if it doesn't actually make them exclusive to you. How it works in the real world is the worker would give 30 days' notice wherever they are, then join you exclusively. It's not really exclusive if they still get to work for someone else for another 6 months... defeats the point of acquiring them.

This contract system isn't remotely realistic. In no world can WWE sign a talent to an exclusive deal and wait TWO YEARS for them to become exclusive. This new contract system is flawed and awful.

There may be benefits, but I still argue that it defeats the point of an exclusive contract if it doesn't actually make them exclusive to you. How it works in the real world is the worker would give 30 days' notice wherever they are, then join you exclusively. It's not really exclusive if they still get to work for someone else for another 6 months... defeats the point of acquiring them.

This contract system isn't remotely realistic. In no world can WWE sign a talent to an exclusive deal and wait TWO YEARS for them to become exclusive. This new contract system is flawed and awful.

Yes, but you are fully aware of the fact that the worker in question has a legally iron-clad contract with another company, yet you sign them anyway. If it's so important that they are exclusive to you, then you have to wait until their other contract expires. Or, if you sign them early, it comes with the condition that the exclusivity doesn't begin until their other commitments are over. The system isn't perfect and could do with a shake-up, but when a worker has a written contract with another company, you should not able to undo that by offering an exclusive deal.

I mean... WWE absolutely COULD do that, but they wouldn't. And, as far as I've seen in the game, large AI companies won't hire workers that they can't get exclusivity on. Playing as an indie company, it almost felt like a cheat to put my guys on non-exclusive written contracts to keep them from getting poached. If you're playing as the big company trying to sign committed guys to exclusive deals, that's your bad.

I like the new (is it really "new" anymore?) contract system generally but I do think the AI around it could use some work. One thing that could be improved is not having every non-exclusive written contract include an ironclad clause. This would allow wrestlers to turn in their notice if a big exclusive deal comes along. I'd also love to see more realistic contract lengths (non-exclusive written contracts should probably be capped at like a year or two tops). Those two tweaks would solve a lot of user unhappiness/confusion around exclusive deals not going through.

I mean... WWE absolutely COULD do that, but they wouldn't. And, as far as I've seen in the game, large AI companies won't hire workers that they can't get exclusivity on. Playing as an indie company, it almost felt like a cheat to put my guys on non-exclusive written contracts to keep them from getting poached. If you're playing as the big company trying to sign committed guys to exclusive deals, that's your bad.

I like the new (is it really "new" anymore?) contract system generally but I do think the AI around it could use some work. One thing that could be improved is not having every non-exclusive written contract include an ironclad clause. This would allow wrestlers to turn in their notice if a big exclusive deal comes along. I'd also love to see more realistic contract lengths (non-exclusive written contracts should probably be capped at like a year or two tops). Those two tweaks would solve a lot of user unhappiness/confusion around exclusive deals not going through.

I agree with most of this comment (and that includes liking the 2020 system). And the system is quite realistic. If you're big enough to sign long-term deals as a promotion, you're going to do it. If you're big enough to want workers exclusively, you're going to do it. If you're a small indie company, you don't want the financial burden of paying people you're not using, so you're not going to sign those deals, and workers who come to work for you aren't going to want to be exclusive to you if they can use you to build their pop to get to a bigger company that can pay them more money.

I think the big thing that doesn't work is that most companies in the real world don't do non-exclusive written deals. They're either working on an "as-needed" basis (a "handshake" deal, non-exclusive) or an exclusive contract basis with provisos to allow workers to work for other companies in other countries (usually through agreements with those companies). The issue with the game is that database realities limit the creativity that Adam and the other designers would (I'm sure) love to implement. I've complained that I shouldn't need to wait until the last month of a contract to negotiate with a worker who already works for me while waiting until the last month of a contract to negotiate with someone who doesn't.

But, these are things we understand because it's a game.

St.T

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, but you are fully aware of the fact that the worker in question has a legally iron-clad contract with another company, yet you sign them anyway. If it's so important that they are exclusive to you, then you have to wait until their other contract expires. Or, if you sign them early, it comes with the condition that the exclusivity doesn't begin until their other commitments are over. The system isn't perfect and could do with a shake-up, but when a worker has a written contract with another company, you should not able to undo that by offering an exclusive deal.

If you had read my next post you'd see that I also said it's not realistic. This isn't how the real world works in wrestling. There is no real world equivalent to what the game's current system is.

If you had read my next post you'd see that I also said it's not realistic. This isn't how the real world works in wrestling. There is no real world equivalent to what the game's current system is.

You're just dunking on the contract system for no reason here tbh. There is 'no real world equivalent' because this stuff just doesn't happen IRL, even though it 100% could. If someone signs a binding written iron-clad contract to work a time period and WWE decides to sign them to a deal - no matter how exclusive - that doesn't change the fact that the dude already has a contract. The reason it doesn't happen is because very few promotions irl are able to hand out long term concrete contracts, and WWE would never entertain the prospect of signing someone who will still be working for another company long-term.

It absolutley makes sense and is within the realms of possibility, and it's a perfectly fine part of the gameplay in terms of its pros and cons. Do you sign someone to an exclusive to make sure they don't renew their other deal or make new deals? What if they get injured working for their other company? Etc.

I mean -- AEW did this to a degree with MJF and Brian Pillman Jr. Both of them had deals with MLW that prevented them from leaving and AEW still brought them in under deals and used them and then when their MLW deals were up, they were exclusive to AEW. Same basic premise with Thunder Rosa.

The language is slightly different and we could probably get into silly arguments about the details -- but that is the jist of it.