Announcing my new game, Comic Book Universe

Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to announce that I'll be releasing a new game, Comic Book Universe, later this year.

The new game will have a similar flavour to Comic Book Hero but is not going to be a direct sequel. CBH was built around the idea of being a 'career sim' where you took control of a single character, but I felt that that concept was a little too limiting. The new game, CBU, will instead widen the scope and have the player taking control of all the heroic characters. I think this expansion makes for more varied gameplay, better replayability, and allows me to focus more on building a more interesting game world....or in this case, game universe.

I'm not going to go into very much detail now as my intention is to do my usual Developer's Journal a little later in the year; that will be where I'll be going through the various features and concepts and explaining what you can expect.

The game development is already at quite an advanced stage, with it being fully playable and about to go into the beta stage in the next couple of weeks. I'm not going to give an exact release date yet as I want to see how testing progresses, but I can say that I'm working towards having it come out in the late summer of this year.

You can expect regular updates over the coming weeks as we build toward release, and a dedicated CBU forum will be opening in the near future. If you have any questions or comments in the meantime, feel free to use this thread.

Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to announce that I'll be releasing a new game, Comic Book Universe, later this year.

The new game will have a similar flavour to Comic Book Hero but is not going to be a direct sequel. CBH was built around the idea of being a 'career sim' where you took control of a single character, but I felt that that concept was a little too limiting. The new game, CBU, will instead widen the scope and have the player taking control of all the heroic characters. I think this expansion makes for more varied gameplay, better replayability, and allows me to focus more on building a more interesting game world....or in this case, game universe.

I'm not going to go into very much detail now as my intention is to do my usual Developer's Journal a little later in the year; that will be where I'll be going through the various features and concepts and explaining what you can expect.

The game development is already at quite an advanced stage, with it being fully playable and about to go into the beta stage in the next couple of weeks. I'm not going to give an exact release date yet as I want to see how testing progresses, but I can say that I'm working towards having it come out in the late summer of this year.

You can expect regular updates over the coming weeks as we build toward release, and a dedicated CBU forum will be opening in the near future. If you have any questions or comments in the meantime, feel free to use this thread.

Very welcome news. CBH was a terrific game even with its limits and I may look into re-acquiring it when the busy season I'm in at the moment. Will be interesting to see how you build on an already strong universe and what new wrinkles await in the upcoming game.

Hi everyone,

Whew! Amazing news! I like the concept, can't wait!

I never really played CBH much (too much WMMA) but though i'm far from a comic book nut I will always have interest in this, especially if it can match the complexity of TEW20.

Good that you're taking your time with the universe building. I think that's crucial for this game.

Hi everyone,

You asked for questions. I have one.

What do we do in this upcoming game?

I liked the characters from Comic Book Hero but the fights were repetitive and the world never changed. The goal was just to increase arbitrary numbers by doing the same thing over and over. The best thing about TEW and WMMA is how the rich game world changes over time - very dynamically, either influenced by the player or by itself. Often I'll sim games without even playing, or tinker with the editor and see how it unfolds. Manually pressing "punch" and "kick" to battle in a text based game wasn't interesting for me, so I hope it's more of a managerial sim.

This is a very welcome and exciting announcement.

I always felt that CBH was a great foundation. It's a game that I still revisit and have fun with from time to time. I've always hoped that Adam would return to the comic book genre to build upon the potential possibilities that CBH opened the doors for. I look forward to hearing further details!

It would be great like was mentioned in another post if this game had a evolving universe like in tew. Heros turning into villains and vice a versa would be fun or maybe switching teams or maybe forming there own would make the game so much fun. Even maybe choices that we make that effect how the world views us would make the game so much more fun i believe.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved my time with CBH, though I'll admit the actual gameplay loop got repetitive eventually so I more really enjoyed taking comic, game, anime and other franchises and putting them in one massive universe and watching everything crossover. Still I always said it was a strong base and much like the TEW series could really be something special with a sequel or two, so I'm glad we're sort of getting that here.

I will be watching with great interest!

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome news!

My biggest wish for a follow-up to CBH is for steam workshop support for player-created content. I think CBH's modding scene seriously suffers from dead links - people put a lot of work into making big sets of characters only for their file hosts to go down, making it very difficult to get ahold of older mods. Steam Workshop would solve this pretty handily.

• 4 months later...