[BETA RELEASE] 2001 - Here Comes The Money [Real World Mod]

After a year in this save I thought I would share what's happening and things I've noticed. I shared a few screenshots as well so everyone can see what a year of progression looks like. I originally planned to only play a year and stop there but WWF just released Heyman and I am going to bring him in and play as him as head booker for a while as I am just enjoying this so much. It was difficult to get good ratings at first without putting RVD in the main event so I had to resort to remaking the horsemen and basically signing every available body. I aren't proud of my actions but we're finally a GOOD WRESTLING company and can build some young stars now. I have noticed a few things, I am not sure if they're by design but I would like to share them.

Getting TV/Event deals outside of North America is basically impossible. Obviously, as discussed in the thread ROH is struggling to emulate real life (probably because I have signed all the best talents.) Also, while I haven't provided a screenshot I jobbed out Buff Bagwell and released him and he has become king of the indies which is just amusing for me.

For anyone thinking about playing this mod it is such a blast. A fresh scenario and with custom graphics for WCW gives it a real unique energy. If anyone has any further questions please don't hesitate to ask and I will share my experiences. (AKA I have another month off work and I am BORED)

Screenshot (20).png

Screenshot (21).png

Screenshot (18).png

Screenshot (19).png

• Like 1

NEW BETA!

DATA 0.2

GRAPHICS

Merry Christmas! I think I said I may upload a new BETA by Christmas and I think I did it by an hour.

I don't know whats all changed. A handful of new promotions (IPW Hardcore, NWA Florida & Steel Domain Wrestling for sure) some new workers and tweaks. I did a bunch of Hall of Fame stuff because... I felt like it? It is a decent update as far as size, I just dont record stuff. As well I added a decent amount of "to debut" workers and companies but obviously intend to add more. More tweaking and fleshing out broadcasters properly (I may wait and steal from Idolized upcoming 2004 mod. He's a good dude he does good work, check his stuff out). I also tweaked companies and tries to have it so most had proper roster sized to avoid hiring blitzes which I think improves the realism.

I did a 22-year sim (left the game running while I did Christmas Eve family stuff) and was pretty happy with how it sims. Obviously there's some "WTF?" stuff (Multi-time WWF Champion Chaz!), but that happens in every mod.

That said, whats next? More tweaking. I tend to just update what I feel like as thats what makes modding fun. I do want to / need to tackle Mexico to make it playable at least, though I'm kind of dreading that. So expect the next update to me mostly just big worker adds. To debuts especially.

Edited by MrCanada
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• MrCanada changed the title to [BETA RELEASE] 2001 - Here Comes The Money [Real World Mod]

Surprise Christmas Day Special:

May 2001 Real World Mod: DATA

Use the Graphics above.

This is just the data as it is, but with WCW shut down and workers moved into WWF in a WCW stable (and HWA which is preemptively a developmental company for WWF). Its really only made to work if the player plays in-control of WWF, since all the WCW titles and such are just active in WWF and the AI is simply to dumb to somehow book its own invasion, so if you play as non-WWE it will be fairly annoying.

This is basically as close to a reality/real world May 2001 mod as I know is out there.

Edited by MrCanada
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Merry... Boxing Day?

A third Christmas Miracle means a third data type, The HCTM May 2001 - Fast Forward Edition:

DATA

Whats the fast forward edition? Well its an example of the third major "mod variant" I have been planning on making. The first is the overall mod as described in the first post. The 2nd variant is the "Real World" data in the post above this. This is what I call the "Fast Forward Variant". Basically, all datas from around this time have almost always "Fast forwarded" past Memphis Championship Wrestling's closure, and already has HWA adopted as a WWE developmental territory. Further, many tend to have wrestlers likes Grandmaster Sexay, Essa Rios, and maybe a few others released from WWF a bit early. This is my take on that. Personally, its also my favourite version of the data to play.

Another big jump forward I just prefer is Keiji Muto and his pals are already in AJPW and Muto is the owner/booker. While its fun to see a "what if.." scenario where the mini-NJPW exodus never happens, I actually prefer seeing Muto/Kojima/Kashin/Hayashi in AJPW.

Whats Fast Forwarded:

- Memphis Championship Wrestling is closed.
- All members of the Mean Street Posse have left wrestling.
- American Dragon, Spanky, Joey Matthews & Christian York have been released from WWF. Some have contracts with indy companies.
- WWF no longer uses IWA as a developmental territory.
- Gangrel, Tiger Ali Singh & Chaz have all been released from WWF. Tiger Ali is retired early. Gangrel and Chaz stay in IWA but not as a developmental workers.
- All other IWA/MCW developmental talent is moved to HWA. OG Ekmo & Kimo are renamed Jamal & Rosey.
- Victoria is on the main roster.
- Grandmaster Sexay & Eddie Guerrero are both out of WWF with their 2001 addiction issues arising earlier.
- Eddie Guerrero is in rehab and clean of drugs, on Hiatus until November. A fun little "get" for a player playing as WCW. Guerrero actually has an IWA contract too so when he does come back he gets to work right away.
- The Right to Censor is gone and workers are set to their original gimmicks. All but Ivory have starting abscesses. Buchanan is in OVW and Val Venis is in HWA.
- Keiji Muto, Satoshi Kojima & Kendo Kashin are AJPW loyal and have AJPW contracts but are on loan to NJPW.
- Muto is the AJPW owner & booker.
- Kaz Hayashi is out of WCW, deciding to return home. A AJPW loyalist now.
- WCW has Turnbuckle Champioship Wrestling as a developmental company, because... Why not? TCW will always run into finacial issues and is always a good company to target to purchase as a dev company anyway.

Edited by MrCanada
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/25/2022 at 11:42 PM, MrCanada said:

Surprise Christmas Day Special:

May 2001 Real World Mod: DATA

Use the Graphics above.

This is just the data as it is, but with WCW shut down and workers moved into WWF in a WCW stable (and HWA which is preemptively a developmental company for WWF). Its really only made to work if the player plays in-control of WWF, since all the WCW titles and such are just active in WWF and the AI is simply to dumb to somehow book its own invasion, so if you play as non-WWE it will be fairly annoying.

This is basically as close to a reality/real world May 2001 mod as I know is out there.

This is fantastic, thanks for all your hard work! A true Christmas miracle!

17 hours ago, bro4dway said:

Loving the data so far! Noticed something small-ish in the original version of the 0.2 data: Blue Demon Jr. has no stats, attributes, or popularity.

I added Blue Demon Jr. for some reason (I'm guessing title lineage) but didn't do anything with him as I haven't touched Mexico yet. I've made most Mexico guys, Mexico-base only too so they are not in the game right now, but are in the data... if that makes sense.

My focus right now is adding a handful of new, active, workers to America/Canada. I'm constantly blown away just how... shallow... the talent pool is around this time and really for he next decade. Most of the "indy darlings" are already active but waiting to develop and their big break. Most are too early (or small) to be used by WWF or WCW at this time. And most guys WWF brought in were either ex-WCW guys, already in developmental, or the few bigger workers in like UPW and stuff. I just find it baffling how important Jon Heidenrich, Luther Reigns, The Bashams and people like that were to WWE for the next 5-years.

Edited by MrCanada
  • Like 2

I found myself thinking about the powerplant and who could reasonably have come through there. I noticed Joe Hennig and Charlotte Flair aren't in the data and could be considered potential Powerplantees? Is that a phrase...

Also, with the talk of a shallow talent pool I found myself looking for Mark Copani or Mohammad Hassan as I always felt he had potential if it wasn't for his terrible gimmick as maybe someone you could add?

I love the work. My last thought was I thought of doing a could TNA be successful save but they aren't really fleshed out enough and aren't very TNA when starting up as them.

MrCanada, this is some truly great work! I do have to suggest though that you make duplicate WWF events in the Datas, because when you have all the WWF-Branded events go dormant when they get the F out, the AI WWF doesn't ever bring back PPVs or monthly events. You can just copy each event and have them dormant to start and they all activate May 2002 when the F Branded ones go dormant.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kinqconnor said:

I found myself thinking about the powerplant and who could reasonably have come through there. I noticed Joe Hennig and Charlotte Flair aren't in the data and could be considered potential Powerplantees? Is that a phrase...

Also, with the talk of a shallow talent pool I found myself looking for Mark Copani or Mohammad Hassan as I always felt he had potential if it wasn't for his terrible gimmick as maybe someone you could add?

I love the work. My last thought was I thought of doing a could TNA be successful save but they aren't really fleshed out enough and aren't very TNA when starting up as them.

I have a list of people to-add. For "to-debuts" as I call them, I'm focusing on people who debut before 2004 or 2006 at the latest. There are some exceptions, but thats just what I've done. Most people are not going to play a game for 10-years I find, so spending hours and hours adding people who will never actually show up in 99% of games is a waste of time.

For fun, here's my current notepad called "ToAdd": The ones with birthdays are because I've tracked down the birthdays already (its really important to me to have as accurate as possibly birthdays) and I just throw them into the list as I update it for future use. Also note, this in no way means all these people will be added, but just they've come across my radar as people worth possibly adding. I'm actually going through the process of expanding/changing this list.

COMPANIES:
AAW: Professional Wrestling Redefined
Absolute Intense Wrestling
-Chandler Biggins (April 6, 1973)
CyberSpace Wrestling Federation
Full Impact Pro
Wrestle-1
Smash

ALREADY DEBUT:
Van Hammer
Danny Daniels
Damian Dragon (Aug 1st 1976)
Tim Arson (Dec 27th 1976)
Mike Tobin (Mar 15th 1977)
Danny Drake (Apr 11th 1977)
Tommy Cairo (Deb 19th 1958)
Sean Casey
Chris Michaels
Trailer Park Trash
Elvis Elliot
Malia Hosaka
ODB
Krissy Vaine
Rain (payton banks)
Lizzy Valentine

TO DEBUT:
Melina Perez
Victoria Crawford (Alicia Fox)
Barbie Blank (Kelly Kelly)
Roderick Strong
Paul Burchill
Mark Magnus 
Johnny Jeter 
Chris Cage 
Derrick Neikirk
Jack Bull 
Todd Grisham
Scott Stanford

DIVA SARCH:
Joy Giovanni
Ashley Massaro
Kristal Marshall
Trenesha Biggers
Layla El
Milena Roucka
Maryse Ouellet
The Bella Twins
Brooke Adams
Eve Torres
Taryn Terrell
Angela Fong

CANADA:
Arda Ocal
Ashley Sixx
Shawn Spears
Flesh Gordon
Jake O'Reilly
Xtremo (July 31, 1984)
Michael Elgin
Dan Paysan
Phil Atlas
Kris Chambers
-Tiana Ringer
Shantelle Taylor
Danyah Rays (Feb 24, 1982)
Vanessa Kraven

Speaking of Power Plant graduates, Kelly Kelly & Alicia Fox will be power plant graduates. Some PP graduate reasons: Generational talent I could have seen going to the Power Plant had it existed (Cody Rhodes, Cody Hall, Jesse White, Rex Steiner,). People recruited into wrestling by members of the WCW roster at the onset of the data (Kelly & Fox via Johnny Ace). People who trained in Georiga, notably WWA4, who I think would have gone to the PP instead and WWA4 will not exist in this data by default for that reason (Heath Miller, Moose, Uhaa Nation). Like WWA4, Team 3D graduates I feel likely migrate to the PP since there is no guarantee Bubba or D-Von open a school (Jesse Neal). And The Boogeyman, because I wanted too.

4 minutes ago, Midnightnick said:

MrCanada, this is some truly great work! I do have to suggest though that you make duplicate WWF events in the Datas, because when you have all the WWF-Branded events go dormant when they get the F out, the AI WWF doesn't ever bring back PPVs or monthly events. You can just copy each event and have them dormant to start and they all activate May 2002 when the F Branded ones go dormant.

I literally just did this yesterday and even updated graphics for it. But thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

Great work and having a ton of fun with the mod! One small thing I noticed, and tbh idk if it was just a one time thing or not, is that some wrestlers may have their alter egos listed as their real names. So John Cena, for example, is listed as "The Prototype," and if you want to name him "John Cena," it makes his real name the alter ego. Pretty easy fix though, really just making "The Prototype" an alter ego for John Cena rather than John Cena's real, default name.

Edited by Paxlux

21 hours ago, Paxlux said:

Great work and having a ton of fun with the mod! One small thing I noticed, and tbh idk if it was just a one time thing or not, is that some wrestlers may have their alter egos listed as their real names. So John Cena, for example, is listed as "The Prototype," and if you want to name him "John Cena," it makes his real name the alter ego. Pretty easy fix though, really just making "The Prototype" an alter ego for John Cena rather than John Cena's real, default name.

That is intended. A major aspect of this data (though there are exceptions) is to make the data like its May 2001 without a lot of future knowledge. What you are suggesting would be like making a January 2023 data and naming Evil Uno to Nicolas Dansereau because in 3-years he unmasks ans uses his real name. Or when I do Mexico, having Dos Caras Jr. as Alberto el Patron with Dos Caras Jr. as an alter ego. "John Cena" never wrestled before May 2002, only The Prototype did.

All "default" names are meant to simulate what someone was known as in May 2001, or what they MAY be known as if they left a current company and its copywrited gimmick behind. The game world is not meant to evolve in a way to simulate what we know happened, because every single change made in my fantasy scenario, not to mention what happens in a game, would change the future. There is no guarantee The Prototype becomes John Cena, there is no guarantee AJ Styles becomes the amazing wrestler he is today (though there is a good chance of that).

I'm a strong advocate of people modifying the data to their own likes however, and further, I'm a an advocate of people using the in-game editor to help the world evolve a little better since there is only so much the AI can do. I for one think the in-game editor should be as advances as the basic editor, but I digress.

Edited by MrCanada
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

A few names to give back to WCW which make sense and weren't under Warner Contracts 

Konnan immediately went back to working Indies, infact by August he's in XPW wrestling for their TV Title, so if WCW existed in some form I can see him in the company 

Jeff Jarrett should definitely be with WCW to start, he was out of the WWF because of his relationship with Vince and the 100k to job but if Shane was trying to keep WCW around and somewhat in the green, he would keep Jarrett. In fact late in the year he jumps to WWA in Australia for a tour

Juventud Guerrera is another name that makes sense since he immediately jumped to working places like XPW. If XPW was able to sign guys I assume WCW staying would of A kept their contracts and B been able to afford them. 

Lance Storm and Hugh Morris/E. Rection (he was still General Rection) should be Well Known in WCW, Storm held the US, Cruiserweight and Hardcore belts at the same time for a long period of time just last year. He main evented a number of Thunders and a few Nitros. Rection/Morris was just a major part of a key storyline with Storm and was recently the US Champion. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have a few really small details I noticed that I thought I would point out.

Paul London is "Other American" rather than "White American"

TNA when they open are absolutely nowhere near where they should be. I did get a laugh out of Ricky Morton as inaugural X-Division champion though...

A real lack of broadcasters results in have to make your own broadcaster (and breaking the game)

The PWI World title is for females only?

I wanted to make a list of potential debutants as well as I understand this save is supposed to be a long play: Drew Mcintyre, Jay Lethal, MVP/ Antonio Banks, Melina, Shawn Spears, Darren Young, Eli Drake, John Hennigan, Bobby Lashley, Nick Aldis, Ricochet, Santino Marella, Asuka, Dolph Ziggler and Brian Cage.

The WWF NEVER keep Heyman. It could be worth starting him as WCW booker if that's a direction you're interested in? I only add these comments because this is the only mod I have been able to immerse myself in on TEW 2020. Thank you so much for all the work you've put in!

On 3/28/2023 at 9:54 PM, KidCoheed said:

Juventud Guerrera is another name that makes sense since he immediately jumped to working places like XPW. If XPW was able to sign guys I assume WCW staying would of A kept their contracts and B been able to afford them. 

Highly doubt WCW would re-hire him after his cocaine binge streaking incident lol

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2023 at 9:23 PM, Jaysin said:

Highly doubt WCW would re-hire him after his cocaine binge streaking incident lol

When did that halt Vince/Shane/Steph from really getting rid of actual issues? I'm sure Shane looking for names he can keep and push would be like "what you do AFTER the show is none of my business but you show up clean"

5 hours ago, KidCoheed said:

When did that halt Vince/Shane/Steph from really getting rid of actual issues? I'm sure Shane looking for names he can keep and push would be like "what you do AFTER the show is none of my business but you show up clean"

Ya know, very good point. Juvi did get his crap together mostly anyway later on. 

• 3 weeks later...

On 3/28/2023 at 9:54 PM, KidCoheed said:

A few names to give back to WCW which make sense and weren't under Warner Contracts 

Konnan immediately went back to working Indies, infact by August he's in XPW wrestling for their TV Title, so if WCW existed in some form I can see him in the company 

Jeff Jarrett should definitely be with WCW to start, he was out of the WWF because of his relationship with Vince and the 100k to job but if Shane was trying to keep WCW around and somewhat in the green, he would keep Jarrett. In fact late in the year he jumps to WWA in Australia for a tour

Lance Storm and Hugh Morris/E. Rection (he was still General Rection) should be Well Known in WCW, Storm held the US, Cruiserweight and Hardcore belts at the same time for a long period of time just last year. He main evented a number of Thunders and a few Nitros. Rection/Morris was just a major part of a key storyline with Storm and was recently the US Champion. 

Feel free to make your own mod. You can use mine as a base.

Konnan not being there is because he wasnt. He did work Puerto Rico shortly after WCW's sale, but I feel this is more a no one cares about PR situation and that he was under a TW contract. He didnt make any mainland appearances until August. And he wasnt part of the Invasion.

Jarrett wasnt picked up by WWF because a) he never accepted a Turner contract buyout b) he had heat with Vince. In this mod, Shane is still Vince's loving son, so I doubt he'd bring in Jarrett either. I do think had WWF shown interest, Jarrett would have probably taken a buyout. But again, thats not what this mod is about.

Juvi was A) Not in WCW at its closure B) On drugs C) On drugs for a long time. He is signable at this time, but likely will have drug / personal issues. Juvi, Scott Hall, Crowbar, Disqo, Jim Duggan, Konnan, Daffney, Vampiro, Major Gunns, Lenny Lane & Lodi are just a small list off the top of my head of people that its very realistic that WCW may have signed back at this time, who are able to signed back in-game using in-game mechanics.

Hugh Morrus was not General Rection anymore. MIA had broken up in January and everyone had gone back to their initial gimmicks. Hugh had been moving up the ranks in 2000, but had basically stalled out around this time. A month or two of him going over and his popularity will start going up. Again, realistic.

Lance Storm is a hard egg to crack and I struggled with him. On one hand, he was very over, but WCW had botched him so badly at this point that he never did really "breakthrough" to me. Christian in WWF, for example, I feel was "more known" and getting better reactions by more people at this time. Right? Think team RECK at this time. Christian is a 60. Lance Storm is a 55... That about tracks. If you think Lance should be 60, then Christian has to be 65. Okay. But Edge was more "over" then Christian at this time and is 65 since Christian is only 60. So if Christian is 65, then Edge should be 70. But Kurt Angle... See what happens? I basically just have to bump everyone 5-points of overness in the entire game for people with "national" name recognition. Lance is still plenty capable of being Booker T's first main heel rival (if you dont use Buff or turn DDP right away). His in-ring ability is enough to get 70+ matches and even his promos can get there too. Lance DOES need some image rehabilitation at this point IRL, so it actually makes sense where he is. A strong feud to give Booker something to do, then maybe moving him down the card into a feud with a new hire like RVD will easily see his popularity shoot up very quickly.

Fun Fact, Rey Mysterio Jr. was actually going to take a Turner contract buyout and join the WCW Invasion (possibly). Jim Ross actually talked Rey out of it, advising him that he would get lost in the shuffle and that WWF wasnt ready for him yet. So he advised Rey to get healthy and take his free Time Warner money, which he did. WWF obviously did eventually come calling and re-masked Rey and thanks to the brand split and Paul Heyman, Rey DID take off in WWF. Had he not taken this break, he likely would have never re-masked. LINK

On 4/21/2023 at 5:56 PM, kinqconnor said:

I have a few really small details I noticed that I thought I would point out.

Paul London is "Other American" rather than "White American"

TNA when they open are absolutely nowhere near where they should be. I did get a laugh out of Ricky Morton as inaugural X-Division champion though...

A real lack of broadcasters results in have to make your own broadcaster (and breaking the game)

The PWI World title is for females only?

I wanted to make a list of potential debutants as well as I understand this save is supposed to be a long play: Drew Mcintyre, Jay Lethal, MVP/ Antonio Banks, Melina, Shawn Spears, Darren Young, Eli Drake, John Hennigan, Bobby Lashley, Nick Aldis, Ricochet, Santino Marella, Asuka, Dolph Ziggler and Brian Cage.

The WWF NEVER keep Heyman. It could be worth starting him as WCW booker if that's a direction you're interested in? I only add these comments because this is the only mod I have been able to immerse myself in on TEW 2020. Thank you so much for all the work you've put in!

Paul London is "other american" because he's 1/4 Mexican (and speaks spanish) and even looks kind of spanish so I did it for fun because I wanted it.

There should be a lack of broadcasters as a) they are not done. b) their were not a ton of networks willing to put wrestling on TV at this point (or until about 5-years ago). No point adding 100 broadcasters with "strongly against" Pro-Wrestling.

I have my own list of people I may add to the data.

Heyman - I'm not intersted in that direction. The base idea of the base data here is, in short, instead of doing an invasion, Shane operates WCW as its own entity using only what WWF really had/used for WCW as thats the closest "real" what if scenariothat can be made as a mod without peoples own biases. But as always I encourage people to make their own mods for their own biases.

Edited by MrCanada
  • Like 2

0.3 Data Update:

Whats new: I dont know. I took a longer-ish break from the data and had changed some things, then came back and over the last week or so added some more workers. Likely just a handful of new workers are notable.

Latest Graphics

Latest Data

Main post also updated with the new links.

Whats next: I never know. In my head now I just really want to add workers. Mainly because I wanted to play game and found I struggled to use "local workers" as jobbers as most regions its the same handful of guys besides the bigger Tri-State and South East. I still think TEW needs to be updated to allow workers on handshake deals with smaller companies still be available as local workers (as long as they dont have a better booking on a real show). Like, David Young would come and job out on WCW even though he works for NWA Wildside. But I digress.

Edited by MrCanada
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Just a small update/note. I somehow managed to get AAA in Mexico to a playable state. Playable meaning as a promotion in the game, not actually playable... If that makes sense.

No guarantee and dont expect anything immediately, but its given me a bit of drive to try and power through CMLL and get it done to make Mexico useful.

I will admit I'm far far far from a Lucha expert, I have no foundation of knowledge unless a specific worker has made waves in North America or Japan, so it is and will be by far the least researched/accurate region. AAA is also a decent amount smaller as far as roster then CMLL, so I expect CMLL to take me at least a few weeks if not more to plow through.

I think once Mexico is done, I'll officially move the data/mod out of "beta" and into a full release. As a functioning USA, Japan & Mexico are really the only important regions. Not slighting UK or Europe, but they've really only become Canada-level regions (lots of companies, workers, and notable workers making it on the world stage) in the last 10-years or so. They really are not relevant until ICW really took off.

Post-proper release roadmap as I see it now. Continuing to flesh out the active data with workers (I'm always trying to do that). Maybe making the UK more useful. Adding some "to-debut" people. And then hopefully a focus on locations & broadcasters. Do note, I think I'm likely not going to add a crazy number of "to-debut" people past 2006. Most people, myself included, who play games I feel dont make it past 10-years, so adding MJF and Darby Allin is useless.

AAA As Of This Second:

I've tried to give workers non-copywrited gimmicks. For example La Parka Jr. is Maligno. This simulates that La Parka Jr. is a trademark owned by AAA. In some places I used future knowledge to pick a name. Like Psicosis being Psyco Ripper. I love how they have 12-titles and 1-tournament so it feels like everyone gets a title. I'm missing the Dark Family, who will be added eventually. I included their women's division which is awkward since there are so few matches on record for 2001 for women. I kind of broke my own rules for deciding who gets to be on the roster for the women as some were not appearing with the company until later in the year.

• Abismo Negro
  • Alan
  • Antonio Pena Owner, Booker, Road Agent
  • Armando Quintero Announcer
  • Arturo Rivera Colour Commentator
  • Billy Boy
  • Blue Demon Jr.
  • Cibernetico AAA Campeon de Campeones & IWC World Heavyweight Champion
  • Copetes Salazar Referee
  • Cynthia Moreno
  • Decnis
  • El Alebrije