CBU General Questions Thread

11 minutes ago, HaikenEdge said:

What exactly is this game? From what I read during development, I thought it was going to be a deeper version of CBH, ie, a role-playing, but trying the demo, it feels more like TEW for superheroes, ie, a fantasy booking sim.

I'm surprised to hear that you came away from the journal thinking this would be a role-playing game; I've just re-read it and I'm not really seeing anything that would give that impression, it seems fairly explicit that it's not a 'career sim' game like CBH.

Either way, I'm not sure I'd say it's in the mold of TEW given that there's no real management or controlled progression elements, but it's certainly closer to being a straight-up game than a RPG so I guess 'fantasy booking' might apply in a very loose sense.

When I don't give an Artifact a Type (like Technological, Futuristic etc.) does that mean, that they can't be uncovered or stolen, since that only seems to work if a Type is specified? That would be helpful for Artifacts I only want to give away through storylines.

And another question, the answer to will be "No" for sure, but I'll ask anyway: would it be possible to give the Custom Powers a bit more relevance by adding more options to Factions and Artifacts? I'm thinking of something like "Cannot have Custom Power X" to define more, who can join a Faction and not or can have an Artifact or not. For example, if I wanted to make an Artifact that works like Kryptonite, I would give all Kryptonians the Custom Power "Kryptonian" and would give the Artifact the "Cannot have Custom Power: Kryptonian"-Command, so Kryptonians can't have it since it would kill them.

Hi, is there a way to "Force" two or more characters (or factions) to fight each other? For example I want to set that Mr.BadGuy (that must be active) will fight Mr.GoodGuy (must be active too) at Issue 2; I tried to do that with the Storylines and Reactive Events editor, but despite I found the correct requirements (Mr.BadGuy and Mr.GoodGuy must be active), I can't find the correct effect for forcing the start of a fight against each other.

26 minutes ago, Havius said:

Hi, is there a way to "Force" two or more characters (or factions) to fight each other? For example I want to set that Mr.BadGuy (that must be active) will fight Mr.GoodGuy (must be active too) at Issue 2; I tried to do that with the Storylines and Reactive Events editor, but despite I found the correct requirements (Mr.BadGuy and Mr.GoodGuy must be active), I can't find the correct effect for forcing the start of a fight against each other.

No, you cannot do that. Storylines and Reactive Events have no connection to what happens in combat encounters (as if a Storyline is taking place then, by definition, combat isn't as only one or the other can be chosen as the issue's content, and Reactive Events happen after an issue has taken place).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Havius said:

For characters, you could try giving each character an Identity Switch with the Titanic Tussle trait then setting the Storyline where they must be Active and that the effect would be that both change to the Titanic Identity AND that the Issue Content has every roll/at least one roll becomes Titanic Tussle. Assuming they are the only characters with the trait, i think they would fight. 

For Factions, maybe turning all other factions to Shadow Groups and the Issue Content to Faction fight? Idk. Of course, you'd have to make another Storyline to undo the changes, but that isnt so hard

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, KingAj said:

Apologies if this has been asked. But if I was to convert a mod from CBH to CBU, what sort of things should I look at adding/changing once converted to have the mod more suitable/playable for CBU?

You'll probably need to start by going into Database Details and altering the dice tables to remove things like Storylines as, naturally, you won't have any to start with so it's pointless having them as an option.

To make the database more playable you'll probably need to start adding in some of the things like Artifacts that don't otherwise exist.

Other than that, it's just a matter of going through and tweaking character's powers and schemes to better utilise the content that CBU has than CBH doesn't.

44 minutes ago, Adam Ryland said:

You'll probably need to start by going into Database Details and altering the dice tables to remove things like Storylines as, naturally, you won't have any to start with so it's pointless having them as an option.

To make the database more playable you'll probably need to start adding in some of the things like Artifacts that don't otherwise exist.

Other than that, it's just a matter of going through and tweaking character's powers and schemes to better utilise the content that CBU has than CBH doesn't.

Right got it, that makes sense, thank you very much Mr Ryland!

I shall start adding/tweaking such things for my personal save!

14 hours ago, KingAj said:

Apologies if this has been asked. But if I was to convert a mod from CBH to CBU, what sort of things should I look at adding/changing once converted to have the mod more suitable/playable for CBU?

I think the biggest thing might be damage, especially for powerful characters. I think the conversion formula is something like: melee non-weapon attacks do 2, melee weapon attacks do 3, and ranged/explosive attacks do 1. This tends to lead to stuff like Superman and Daredevil doing the same amounts of damage (or even Daredevil doing more), and it feels wrong.

• Like 1

Well this may be a weird question. However, is there any way to influence what happens in the game? I've been playing the game for several days, and I don't see a way to influence what happens at all. Yes, you fight the battles, but it's all very random and without clear direction. The feeling I have is that things happen without my having control over anything, which can be fun for a while but in the long run it's a bit boring. That's why I'm surprised that the player doesn't have any way to influence what happens in the world. Or if there is? The logical thing is that there is, but I can't find it.

Does the playful part of the game consist only of that? In fighting battles that the AI generates randomly and without any direction?

In that case I think it would be good to give the player the possibility to affect a little more in the development of the stories that are triggered. Being able to form teams, for example. Or try at least. Being able to decide that a team of heroes tries to thwart the plans of a villain (or team of villains). I don't know, things like that. At least give him the option to do it if he wants to.

I don't think it would cost much to do since the chassis is already done, and it would bring more life to the game. Otherwise the game has few options for the player. Few things to do beyond watching the world evolve on its own (with the added bonus of being able to move characters, which I didn't know, and at least add a bit of control), and fight battles (which are fun, but often sometimes they lack immersion because you have not decided).

If not another option is to give the possibility to choose between several randomly generated events. I don't think it's ideal, but it would at least give you some control over what's going on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm wondering about the Star-Ratings: do they impact the power of characters? For example, when I give a character 5 more stars through a reactive event, does that make him more powerful somehow automatically? Because otherwise he would just take up more stars in team building, but wouldn't add more to the team.