CBU General Questions Thread

A character who is knocked out loses their artifact. There are no exceptions. As a general note, exceptions to anything would be listed in the handbook.

No, they cannot be made to keep their artifact regardless - as per the handbook, if it's something they shouldn't lose, like mjolnir, then it shouldn't be set as an artifact in the first place, it should be a standard part of their powers.

The only way to regain an artifact that is lost is for the character to follow a scheme or quest that allows it. Again, there are no exceptions - just because someone is the only person who could own that artifact doesn't give special rules (and if they did, it would be in the handbook).

Schemes to take artifacts from heroes is possible; you should add it to the suggestions forum.

• Thanks 1

What exactly is the difference between the Assassination, Vendetta and Hunt And Eliminate schemes?

I know that from a mechanics standpoint, Assassination is the most "open" of the 3, while Vendetta always finishes with a combat encounter and HAE is a single combat encounter without puzzles or skirmishes, and also allows you to choose based on character class

I am talking more in a "lore" way, i guess, which is obviously open to interpretation and imagination, but i am wondering what sets them apart

Is Assassination more like a covert plot to eliminate the target? Vendetta is a more direct "Will just go and kill them" way? While HAE is more like a mercenary hit of sorts?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 4:37 AM, fabioman3 said:

What exactly is the difference between the Assassination, Vendetta and Hunt And Eliminate schemes?

I know that from a mechanics standpoint, Assassination is the most "open" of the 3, while Vendetta always finishes with a combat encounter and HAE is a single combat encounter without puzzles or skirmishes, and also allows you to choose based on character class

I am talking more in a "lore" way, i guess, which is obviously open to interpretation and imagination, but i am wondering what sets them apart

Is Assassination more like a covert plot to eliminate the target? Vendetta is a more direct "Will just go and kill them" way? While HAE is more like a mercenary hit of sorts?

They're variations on a theme, they just have the mechanical differences stated.

• 1 month later...

Wow! I remember sending an email about if CBH would ever be updated so its cool to see some kind of successor to it.
I miss having a single "main" character, though. is there any way to ensure a certain character is always available for an encounter?

No, there isn't - as issues happen in different locations it's extremely unlikely a specific character is going to be in the right location each time (and even if you played in a game world with only one location, eventually a character will get fatigued or injured and be unavailable).

Apologies if this isn't where to suggest this, but could we get a power that allows you to grant flight to teammates? Such as gravity control powers, psychic powers, or nanite aided flight are all ways characters do it in comics and shows.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Teravangalo said:

Wait? Maybe I am just an idiot. First my post on TEW2020 now this but how exactly do I update? I download the installer and then it asks me to repair or remove. Am I missing something? Am I just bad at downloading games off of steam and the like haha

For CBU, the process is:

To install, simply unzip the file to your desktop and run the program that was inside it. Make sure to choose the folder where CBU is currently installed! Note that you must have CBU already installed on your machine in order to patch it.

It's different from how tew patches are done.

4 minutes ago, Adam Ryland said:

For CBU, the process is:

To install, simply unzip the file to your desktop and run the program that was inside it. Make sure to choose the folder where CBU is currently installed! Note that you must have CBU already installed on your machine in order to patch it.

ok thanks. So do I click modify or repair that is the option the CBU-Retail_Patch gives me

Edited by Teravangalo

• 1 month later...

Is there any difference between the various types of damage done, such as “electrical” and “physical” etc?  For instance, it seems like 2 points of damage reduces health by 2 points, regardless of type. Where does this difference come into play?

19 minutes ago, BKL1976 said:

Is there any difference between the various types of damage done, such as “electrical” and “physical” etc?  For instance, it seems like 2 points of damage reduces health by 2 points, regardless of type. Where does this difference come into play?

It matters for their interactions with other powers which may specify a type.

• 1 month later...

Would we ever possibly see an implementation for hero points outside of encounters? Or even, anything that gives some form of control over character progression? I think I've seen it mentioned before in this thread, but some form of interactivity outside of encounters would allow for player driven storylines and universe progression. Alongside the already existing ones.

Depends what you mean by 'ever'; if you're talking about patching it into the existing game, then no, such a huge task to effectively bolt on an entire new game mechanic wouldn't be viable as a patch. If you're talking about things that might get added to any sequels that get made, then sure, there's no reason things like that wouldn't be considered.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Anybody know the requirements for having a Faction Fight? I'm trying to test a mod and, even though the mod has a lot of factions that all seem to have a reasonable number of people, every time the game picks Faction Fight, it says that no content could be created. I've seen it work in other mods, so I'm not sure what's wrong with this one.

11 hours ago, Thane of Fife said:

Anybody know the requirements for having a Faction Fight? I'm trying to test a mod and, even though the mod has a lot of factions that all seem to have a reasonable number of people, every time the game picks Faction Fight, it says that no content could be created. I've seen it work in other mods, so I'm not sure what's wrong with this one.

I didn't do much with factions yet, but as far as I know, Popularity und Member Activity are important to find a match. Are enough Members of your Factions active and do you have Factions on the Hero- and Villain-Side with the same Poularity-Level, that have enough active Members?

15 hours ago, LostInWeb said:

I didn't do much with factions yet, but as far as I know, Popularity und Member Activity are important to find a match. Are enough Members of your Factions active and do you have Factions on the Hero- and Villain-Side with the same Poularity-Level, that have enough active Members?

9 hours ago, Cold Cobra said:

Also worth thinking about if they're all active in areas where they can reach each other, as that's also a major factor.

I wouldn't think any of these should be an issue. My database has very few characters who are inactive (almost entirely alts of active characters) and minimal movement restrictions set up. I guess popularity plausibly could be, but I feel like I've got enough factions on both sides of the hero/villain divide that it should be able to find something. Maybe I'll try messing with popularity values and see if that's it.

Thanks.