WWF 1992: Going Forward

13 minutes ago, Mattywood said:

Tito Santana & Virgil were put together when after their match against IRS & Repo Man (Repo Tax)  on Monday Night Raw, it was discovered they had Great chemistry teaming together. So I figured I would run with it. Plus, it adds depth to the tag team division. As for the other question... we'll just see what happens as the diary unfolds.

Big Tito fan and I’ve nothing against Virgil. Can see it working as a good underdog team.

• Like 1

Like how you hinted at Kerry's winning the NWA title in May of 1984 against Ric Flair IRL (it was supposed to be David, but he died in Japan in February of 1984--there's a YouTube clip of the WWF acknowledging David's death) and Ric Flair's work with WCW (his long matches with Sting, Lex Luger, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, etc.)...

In hindsight, Ric Flair should have been considered a favorite to win the 1992 Rumble, given his history of long matches in the NWA/associated organizations (he wasn't known as the "60-Minute Man" for nothing--a term Flair likely coined himself, IIRC)...

Edited by Lord Byron
  • Like 3

WWF Monday Night Raw
Wk 3, January 1992
Manhattan Center
New York City

Dark Matches:
-Crush def. Louie Spicolli by submission with the Cranium Crush
-Haku def. Jim Powers by pinfall with the Tongan Spike
-The Berzerker def. Nikolai Volkoff by pinfall 

Main Show: 
-We open with the Monday Night Raw show open, & the sirens go wild as we open inside back live at the Manhattan Center in New York City, the crowd going crazy as they are ready for live action!

Vince McMahon: History was made just 24 hours ago at the Royal Rumble as a new WWF World Heavyweight Champion was crowned, & it was none other than the "Nature Boy" Ric Flair! And as you can see, the celebration was so rambunctious that Bobby Heenan isn't here tonight! So sit back as I'll...

Just then, some familiar sounding music plays over the speakers. Yet the music is different enough so as not to alert the copyright lawyers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hOJkuL_HB0

spacer.png

It's none other than "Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert, & the fans inside the Manhattan Center are more than familiar with him as he gets a big pop upon appearing from behind the curtain & making his way to ringside.

Vince McMahon: Well we always say that Monday Night Raw is uncut, uncooked, & uncensored. It just might be all three within the first three minutes because none other than "Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert is coming out here!

Eddie Gilbert joins Vince McMahon at ringside.

Vince McMahon: Eddie Gilbert, what on earth brings you here to Monday Night Raw tonight?!

Eddie Gilbert: Well, McMahon, my good friend Bobby "The Brain" Heenan needed the night off to celebrate Ric Flair's glorious victory at the Royal Rumble last night, so he called me up & asked if I could fill in for him.

Vince McMahon: But I didn't know...

Eddie Gilbert: That I worked here? Well guess what, Vin-Daddy, I do, & there's nothing you can do about it! Now as for tonight, we will see "El Matador" Tito Santana & Virgil in tag team action!

Vince McMahon: Wait a minute!

Eddie Gilbert: We will also see "The British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith, front & center!

Vince McMahon: Hey!

Eddie Gilbert: And we have a double feature, tonight! After what happened during the Rumble last night, Pres. Jack Tunney made it official, & we will see Sid Justice taking on Skinner! And in from there, We will see "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan team up with Sgt. Slaughter to take on the Nasty Boys, who now will have Sensational Sherri at ringside!

Vince looks shocked that Eddie Gilbert stole all of his announcer shtick.

Vince McMahon: ...

Eddie Gilbert: Without any further adieu, let's go to Howard Finkel!

-"El Matador" Tito Santana & Virgil def. Duane Gill & Barry Hardy when Virgil pinned Hardy after a Russian Leg Sweep.

After the match, Vince McMahon regains control of broadcasting duties from Eddie Gilbert & says that Mean Gene Okerlund filed a report last night after the Royal Rumble concluded. A graphic saying "Taped last night" is shown on the screen as we see Mean Gene backstage in front of the Royal Rumble backdrop, where interviews are conducted. Gene recaps how we have a new WWF Intercontinental Champion in the "Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase, pointing out that DiBiase reached into his trunks & used a foreign object to knock out Bret "Hitman" Hart while the referee was down & trying to pick himself back up. Gene also recaps that the mystery entrant turned out to be none other than Jerry "The King" Lawler, & he drew #30 while the eventual winner, Ric Flair, drew #3! That's right, the new WWF World Heavyweight Champion is Ric Flair, who outlasted the likes of Hulk Hogan, Jake Roberts, "Macho Man" Randy Savage, Sid Justice, among others. Speaking of Hulk Hogan & Sid Justice, Gene says that he tried to get a word from both men after the big argument they had at the end of the Royal Rumble match, as well as the shouting match they had afterward, but neither man wanted to talk about it. Back to Vince McMahon, who says that Sid's frame of mind could very well be bad news for Skinner later tonight, but stay tuned. "The British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith is next!

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-We see a hype video for newcomer, Tatanka. We see him taking part in a sacred Native American ceremony as he dubs in a voice over about the culture of his people, the heritage of his ancestors, & how he looks to be as much of a warrior as his ancestors were when he arrives to the WWF.

-Before we go to our next match, Vince McMahon informs Eddie Gilbert & the fans watching at home that there is a phone call on the line. It's none other than "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, who says he has a huge announcement. Eddie Gilbert says "What, you're retiring again to make another alien B-movie? Haha!" Eddie even mocks Piper's "Chew bubblegum" line from "They Live." "I came to chew bubblegum & kick butt in the Royal Rumble last night, & I ran out of bubblegum at the worst possible time because Shawn Michaels kicked my butt instead!" "Real funny," Piper replies. Piper goes on to announce that next week, we will see the return of Piper's Pit, & his guest next week will be none other than the "Macho Man" Randy Savage. "Vince, Randy & I have to hash this out. We broadcasted alongside you most of last year without incident, then for whatever reason, we've been at each other's throats in recent weeks. So next week, Piper's Pit, I bring on Macho Man & we settle this like men!"

-"The British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith def. Iron Mike Sharpe by pinfall with a Running Powerslam.

-Before we go to commercial break, Vince throws it to Sean Mooney, who is backstage with Jimmy Hart & the Mountie. He notes that they must be furious about last night, but says that maybe they brought this on themselves. Jimmy Hart & the Mountie shake their heads & tell Sean that they are tired of biased tabloid journalists like him, "Scheme Gene" as Jimmy Hart put it, Vince McMahon & others brainwashing the fans into thinking that the Mountie is this mean, evil man who abuses his privileges as a law enforcer. 

The Mountie: Well let me introduce someone who is completely unbiased, & only speaks the truth! Raymond Rougeau!

Raymond Rougeau walks into the shot as Sean Mooney points out to the Mountie "Hey, that's your brother!" 

Raymond Rougeau: See, there you go again, Sean, with your biased yellow journalism. From now on, I conduct interviews with Jimmy Hart, the Mountie, & any other wrestler who wants to be sure that the truth is heard & that the fans can finally hear their side of the story without any biases.

Sean Mooney throws it to break, telling the fans to stay tuned as more Monday Night Raw is on the way!

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-Back from commercial break, & Vince McMahon & Eddie Gilbert are sitting at the broadcast table, discussing & debating what we just saw with the return of Raymond Rougeau, who now fancies himself a reporter. As Vince & Eddie are talking about what happened, the crowd starts buzzing & Vince & Eddie naturally wonder what the commotion is all about. They see someone that looks familiar walking down to ringside...

spacer.png

The crowd has come alive now as they all see that it's none other than former 2-time WWF Women's Champion, Wendi Richter, who hasn't been seen in years! (at least by those who only watch the WWF). Wendi looks rather angry & doesn't ask for a microphone from Howard Finkel. She doesn't even demand it. She just outright takes it! It's set to house mic settings so that the crowd inside the Manhattan Center can hear what is on her mind as well as the fans watching at home. Vince notes that Wendi Richter had recently signed a new contract to return to the WWF, & that's when Wendi Richter proceeds to cut the promo of her life. She talks about how all she ever wanted was an opportunity, & no matter how many matches she won, she wasn't getting that opportunity. She notes how it took an outsider, Cyndi Lauper, banging on the door of the Championship Committee for Wendi to finally get her opportunity. And in front of a record TV audience on MTV, she won the WWF Women's Championship for the first time. After losing it, she regained the title at the first ever WrestleMania, which until now turned out to be her last WrestleMania because of a fateful November night in this very city, not far from here at Madison Square Garden.

Wendi Richter: Just days before Thanksgiving, I'm told that I'm defending my title against a mysterious masked wrestler known only as the Spider Lady. No big deal. I've beat her before. But something was different. She didn't move like the original Spider Lady that I knew. In fact, she was a bit bigger. Before I know it, I'm pinned & the referee counts to three even though I kicked out at one, & the bell rings. I take off the mask, & low & behold it's the Fabulous Moolah. And to top it off, Moolah was allowed to keep the title despite competing as the Spider Lady. Whether it was because Pres. Jack Tunney was not there & couldn't do anything about it after the fact, I'll never know. But I bet you know a thing or two about it, don't you, Vince?!

Eddie Gilbert: Whoa-huh-ho! Something you're not telling us, Vince?

Vince McMahon: Wendi, please... not now.

Wendi Richter: Not now?! Then when, Vince?! How about the fact that I was so upset that I left this city in my ring gear & took the first flight I could out of this dump?!

The fans obviously aren't happy with that comment. 

Wendi Richter: Or how about the fact that I wasn't getting the compensation that I deserved for the hard work I put in? I bet you know something about my compensation too, don't you, Vince?

Eddie Gilbert: C'mon, spill it, Vince! What do you know?!

Vince McMahon: Eddie, Wendi... not now, please.

Vince is visibly shaken as Wendi proceeds to inform us that Pres. Jack Tunney is putting the Women's Division back together & low & behold, who did they call to be a part of the division? Wendi Richter herself. 

Rockin' Robin appears from behind the curtain, making her return. She asks for another microphone that the stage hands have on standby just in case a mic stopped working. She asks Wendi Richter what her problem is, & Wendi responds that Robin of all people should be standing side by side with her.

Wendi Richter: Don't you remember when you talked to me during a tour of Japan about how this company didn't have any room for you to compete & defend your Women's Championship at WrestleMania V? So instead, they had you sing "America the Beautiful," & how you felt embarrassed because you knew you couldn't sing at all?

That's enough to set Rockin' Robin off as she sparks a melee with Wendi Richter! A number of road agents have to run out to get the two ladies separated. Vince McMahon sounds like he's going out of character as he screams "DAMMIT! GO TO COMMERCIAL BREAK!" Eddie Gilbert pleads "Oh no, let's stay with this, Vince! Monday Night Cat Fight!"

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-Back from commercial, & Vince McMahon does his best to calm down & get the show back on track. We proceed to our next match...

Sid Justice def. Skinner by pinfall with the Powerbomb. Skinner had tried to get the jump on Sid & was about to spit tobacco at the big man again, but Sid kicked Skinner right in the gut, causing him to spew the tobacco onto the mat. Skinner had no chance to mount any offense as Sid Justice was taking his anger out on the Alligator Man of the WWF because of what happened last night when Hulk Hogan cost Sid an opportunity to win the Rumble match.

-We see another hype video, this time for another newcomer, Papa Shango. He talks about his mastery of the dark arts as we see pictures of Jake "The Snake" Roberts, "Macho Man" Randy Savage & even "Rowdy" Roddy Piper. Papa Shango claims that he is the reason Jake Roberts has finally embraced who he truly is, & soon, he will join forces with Jake to completely envelop the WWF in darkness. MUWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!! After the video, Vince asks Eddie if Paul Bearer & the Undertaker know anything about what Papa Shango just said, & Eddie says "Surely Jake has let them in on the plan."

-Vince McMahon throws it to Gene Okerlund, who is standing by backstage with Pres. Jack Tunney. Tunney proceeds to announce that not only is the WWF Women's Championship returning to the World Wrestling Federation, but a new title has been commissioned by the Championship Committee. Pres. Tunney says that the timing couldn't be better with the recent premiere of Monday Night Raw, Wrestling Challenge being more competitive than ever, & Superstars bringing in new fans as well. Tunney announces that the WWF will soon crown its first ever WWF Television Champion. Pres. Tunney notes that the title will only be defended on TV & PPV, since PPV is on TV, don't you know. This title will not be at stake at non-televised events even though whoever is WWF TV Champion will still compete at non-televised events, & competitors who beat the TV Champion at non-televised events could find themselves in contention for the TV Title. Furthermore, with the Royal Rumble fresh on everyone's minds, there will be two 10-man battle royals: One next week on Monday Night Raw, & the other one in two weeks on Wrestling Challenge. The two winners will then face each other on Saturday Night's Main Event in February. Gene Okerlund says that this indeed is a huge announcement & one that fans no doubt will be happy with.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-The Nasty Boys def. "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan & Sgt. Slaughter when Brian Knobbs pinned Sgt. Slaughter after Col. Mustafa interfered. The ref was distracted by Sensational Sherri's antics as she distracted Jim Duggan, causing him to jump down off the apron & back her off. Jerry Sags ran over to brawl with Duggan, & Slaughter was getting the better of Knobbs in the ring. However, he didn't count on Col. Mustafa running in & nailing him with a clothesline before getting out of the ring just as quickly. Vince is yelling at the ref to turn around, but he turns around to see Brian Knobbs pinning Sgt. Slaughter. Vince is irate & calls this a miscarriage of justice. Eddie Gilbert replies "How so? You demanded the referee to turn around, & he did!"

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-Back from commercial to Vince McMahon & Eddie Gilbert at the broadcast table, & Vince says another phone call has come in. It's none other than Shawn Michaels. Shawn first off compliments Eddie on doing such a wonderful job on commentary tonight, being a fair & objective broadcaster, & how Vince McMahon can learn a thing or two from him. Eddie thanks Shawn, then Shawn proceeds to make his own announcement. He says that this weekend on Wrestling Challenge, he will get the jump on Piper's Pit & premiere his own talk show, the Heartbreak Hotel, & his very first guest will be his new lady that he has met who will lead him to new heights in the WWF.

PROMOTIONAL CONSIDERATION... PAID FOR BY THE FOLLOWING

-Before the show wraps up, Vince McMahon hypes up next week's edition of Monday Night Raw. Eddie Gilbert interrupts & says we're going to see the first of two 10-man battle royals next week to determine the first WWF TV Champion. Vince takes back control of the proceedings & says he's got it from here. He notes how we'll see Hercules in action, as well as the Mountie. Rockin' Robin has also been given interview time, & she will respond to what Wendi Richter had to say earlier tonight. 

Eddie Gilbert: And don't forget, Vince! Piper's Pit with the Macho Man!

Vince acknowledges what Eddie just said about Piper's Pit returning next week, & that's when Jim Duggan storms in. He's upset, almost out of breath, but he has something he has to say.

Jim Duggan: Vince, first off, I apologize that you had to be out here with Eddie Gilbert. Trust me when I say that I know he's bad news...

Eddie Gilbert: Hey!

Jim Duggan: Second of all, Sgt. Slaughter told me he will be alright & will be good to go for his match against Rick Martel this weekend on Wrestling Challenge. Thirdly, this thing with Col. Mustafa... it's been brewing for far too long. And it's obvious that the WWF is not big enough for both me & Col. Mustafa. So I'm going to petition Pres. Jack Tunney to make a match for next Monday night on Raw, me against Mustafa, & the loser leaves the WWF forever!

Eddie Gilbert: FOREVER?!

Jim Duggan: Forever!

Eddie Gilbert: Yes! We won't have to see your snot nose here anymore...

Jim Duggan: Watch it, tough guy!

Vince McMahon: Are you absolutely sure you want to put your WWF career on the line, Hacksaw?!

Jim Duggan: I'm positive, Vince!

Vince McMahon: What a way to cap off a chaotic edition of Monday Night Raw! See you next week, folks!

Edited by Mattywood
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mattywood said:

It's none other than "Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert, & the fans inside the Manhattan Center are more than familiar with him as he gets a big pop upon appearing from behind the curtain & making his way to ringside.

Yep, leave it to ol' "Hot Stuff" to steal the show wherever he goes, whether Memphis, Mid-South/UWF, Continental, the GWF or the WWF.  🙃

15 minutes ago, Mattywood said:

Wendi Richter: Just days before Thanksgiving, I'm told that I'm defending my title against a mysterious masked wrestler known only as the Spider Lady. No big deal. I've beat her before. But something was different. She didn't move like the original Spider Lady that I knew. In fact, she was a bit bigger. Before I know it, I'm pinned & the referee counts to three even though I kicked out at one, & the bell rings. I take off the mask, & low & behold it's the Fabulous Moolah. And to top it off, Moolah was allowed to keep the title despite competing as the Spider Lady. Whether it was because Pres. Jack Tunney was not there & couldn't do anything about it after the fact, I'll never know. But I bet you know a thing or two about it, don't you, Vince?!

12 minutes ago, Mattywood said:

Wendi Richter: Or how about the fact that I wasn't getting the compensation that I deserved for the hard work I put in? I bet you know something about my compensation too, don't you, Vince?

Now, had this promo been cut in a different era (i.e. after what came out about Moolah 😠 following her death, along with Junior's involvement in the original screwjob), it's a given that Wendi would've been cheered instead of booed as she was here.

30 minutes ago, Mattywood said:

Vince is yelling at the ref to turn around, but he turns around to see Brian Knobbs pinning Sgt. Slaughter. Vince is irate & calls this a miscarriage of justice. Eddie Gilbert replies "How so? You demanded the referee to turn around, & he did!"

Yeah, while Eddie conveniently leaves out that the ref didn't turn around in time to see Mustafa/Iron Sheik interfere and cost Hacksaw and Sarge the win.  🫤

37 minutes ago, Mattywood said:

Eddie Gilbert says "What, you're retiring again to make another alien B-movie? Haha!" Eddie even mocks Piper's "Chew bubblegum" line from "They Live." "I came to chew bubblegum & kick butt in the Royal Rumble last night, & I ran out of bubblegum at the worst possible time because Shawn Michaels kicked my butt instead!" "Real funny," Piper replies.

Ah, now if only we could've had something like this IRL to bring about the start of a Hot Rod-Gilbert feud...  🤔

All in all, good show in this post, showing some of what was also on offer for the Fed's syndicated fare of the time (star talent vs. jobbers in squashes) along with what you'd only get if you subscribed to USA.  😎

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Old School Fan said:

Now, had this promo been cut in a different era (i.e. after what came out about Moolah 😠 following her death, along with Junior's involvement in the original screwjob), it's a given that Wendi would've been cheered instead of booed as she was here.

Oh it definitely would've gotten an even more vocal reaction. If I may pull back the curtain, when booking the segments in TEW, I split the Wendi Richter surprise return into two segments: Wendi's promo, then Rockin' Robin's interruption & subsequent ringside fight. As for cheering & booing, I tried my best to convey that she was getting cheers at first because hey, the smart New York fans recognize her. Then didn't start getting booed until she referred to New York City as a dump. I'll address the fallout of this Raw in a Wrestling Observer style post some time this week.

Also, so glad to find another Eddie Gilbert fan on here! 😁  And I'm very happy that folks here are picking up on some of the little details I'm sprinkling in here.

Edited by Mattywood
  • Like 1

I must say that Wendi Richter coming back and calling out Vince for the original screwjob was not what I saw coming when I started reading this diary.  Or Eddie Gilbert showing up in the WWF...

If Richter had done this promo during the Attitude Era anywhere in Canada, the crowd would cheered, especially in Montreal, after what happened to Bret Hart...

Wrestling Observer WWF News & Notes

-Early word is that the WWF Royal Rumble was a financial success. The Knickerbocker Arena reported a sellout attendance of 17,500 fans, with only a few hundred comps, mostly giveaways from local radio stations & businesses. Despite the rough patch the WWF went through in 1991 in the wake of pushing Sgt. Slaughter as an Iraqi sympathizer, along with the steroid allegations, & the state of the wrestling business & US economy in general, the WWF may be shaping up to have a good 1992 if their creative is on track as it has been the past couple of weeks with the debut of Monday Night Raw, as well as the Royal Rumble this past Sunday night.

-It's too early to report as an official number, but the word I'm getting from cable outlets in the United States is that the WWF may have received over 400,000 buys for the Royal Rumble. If that number holds, that would be 40,000 down from last year, but as mentioned earlier, it had been a rough year for not only the WWF, but wrestling in general. I should be receiving an official number in the coming weeks.

-Jerry "The King" Lawler still has some dates left to work for the USWA before going full time with the WWF. According to sources in Memphis, he & Eddie Gilbert were both offered the head booker position, but both turned the position down, citing the stress of being a head booker. It is a bit surprising that not only did Jerry Jarrett allow Lawler & Gilbert to go to the WWF full time, but also helped to facilitate the deal. The WWF recently reached a working agreement with the USWA, & will also send workers there to develop their skills if the WWF feels they need seasoning. Given the nature of the agreement, & given that the old territory system is practically dead, this might be the best thing for Jerry Jarrett to do in order to keep a small promotion based in Memphis alive. I have also been told that Jerry Lawler may be allowed to work multiple dates for the USWA in the future even as a full time WWF performer.

-Vince McMahon was said to have been pleased with the debuts of Jerry Lawler & Eddie Gilbert, as well as Wendi Richter's return. The crowd in Albany, New York certainly recognized Lawler from his past feud with the late Andy Kaufman, as well as his appearance on David Letterman. It helps that Lawler was seen on a national platform in the form of cable sports channel ESPN when the USWA broadcast their defunct Dallas shows on the network. The crowd in the Manhattan Center recognized Eddie Gilbert, & his knock off "Hot Stuff" theme music certainly didn't hurt. Eddie had also been featured on ESPN when the GWF launched last summer. Vince was said to have enjoyed working with Eddie, & the plan currently is for Eddie Gilbert to be the heel commentator on Monday Night Raw going forward. From my understanding, Bobby Heenan is not upset in the least. In fact, he is said to be more comfortable working with Gorilla Monsoon on Wrestling Challenge anyway, & the reason he was used as the heel commentator for the first two editions of Monday Night Raw was because Eddie Gilbert's deal wasn't finalized until recently.

-On the subject of Wendi Richter, many are probably wondering if her promo on Raw was a shoot, given how shaken Vince McMahon sounded when everything was going down. The word I have received is that the promo was planned from the get go by Vince McMahon himself, with Pat Patterson working with Wendi Richter on it. However, from my understanding, Wendi wasn't reciting lines from a script & was allowed the creative freedom to put the promo into her own words. It was a stroke of genius for Wendi to be able to get the crowd at the Manhattan Center to go from cheering her to booing her when she called New York City a dump. The crowd may not have been as into the catfight between Wendi Richter & Rockin' Robin, but to be fair, Robin wasn't featured all that much during her first run in the WWF. However, it is said that Vince was still pleased with how the brawl went & feels that Robin will get over during the course of this storyline.

Edited by Mattywood
  • Like 1

WWF Wrestling Challenge
Airing Saturday, Wk 3, January 1992 (Taped Tuesday, Wk 3, January 1992)
Dane County Coliseum
Madison, WI
Attendance: 9,131 (Sold out!)

Dark Matches:
-Papa Shango def. Nikolai Volkoff by pinfall with the Voodoo Driver.
-Crush def. Barry Horowitz by submission with the Cranium Crush.

Main Show: 
-It's a rare cold open as Gorilla Monsoon welcomes us to Wrestling Challenge, putting over the fact that it has been a wild week in the WWF. Bobby Heenan is happier than a kid at Christmas, & Gorilla Monsoon wastes no time in asking him why he shirked his duties on Monday night & left Vince McMahon to have to deal with that motormouth, Eddie Gilbert. Heenan puts over the post-Rumble celebration that Mr. Perfect & Ric Flair put together, & also put over what a great job Eddie Gilbert did filling in on Monday night. Heenan then announces that Eddie did such a fantastic job that the USA Network executives have requested "Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert to be the voice of Monday Night Raw, to which the Brain says it will be an honor to step aside for someone as great as Eddie. Gorilla Monsoon is disgusted & throws it to Lord Alfred Hayes for this week's Special Report. 

Alfred wastes no time putting over what a wild night the Royal Rumble was. He recaps how Ted DiBiase used a foreign object to win the WWF Intercontinental Title from Bret Hart, as well as Sid Justice accidentally eliminating Hulk Hogan, with Hogan losing his temper & giving an unintentional assist to Ric Flair in Sid's elimination. Alfred recaps the shouting match the two had, & states that neither Sid Justice nor Hulk Hogan are commenting on the matter. Alfred then throws it to a pre-recorded promo from Mr. Perfect & the new WWF World Heavyweight Champion, Ric Flair. They talk about what a great night it was, & that finally, the real World Champion has the gold to prove it. And this time... no video distortion of Flair's championship belt.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-"The British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith def. The Brooklyn Brawler by pinfall with the Running Powerslam. During the commentary for the match, Gorilla Monsoon gives Bobby Heean the what-for because of how he sprung Eddie Gilbert on Vince McMahon this past Monday night, & even ponders if the Brain had something to do with Wendi Richter's surprise appearance & how she just about hijacked the show. Heenan pleads the fifth, & oddly enough, it actually seems plausible coming from Heenan this time around.

-We go over to the Event Center with Sean Mooney, who recaps what a night of action it was at the Royal Rumble. We hear from a man who debuted at the Royal Rumble, Jerry "The King" Lawler. He talks about how there have been many pretenders to his throne, but the real king is finally here in the WWF. Lawler says that the Rumble may not have gone his way, but that won't deter him from ruling over the entire WWF. Back to Sean Mooney, who says that if you were feeling warmer than usual on Monday night, it wasn't because you turned up your heater too high. It was because "Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert heated things up by making his surprise debut last Monday night. With that, we go to a promo from Eddie Gilbert, who hypes up what a great job he did, but says his back is feeling a bit sore having to carry Vince McMahon this past Monday night. Because of that fact, it might be a bit before we see him in action in the ring. But don't worry, he says, because you will get to see what he does best in that ring before too long.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-The Nasty Boys def. Buck Quartmain & Wellington Wilkins Jr. when Brian Knobbs pinned Buck Quartmain following the Trip To Nastyville. On commentary, Gorilla Monsoon took great joy in how Jimmy Hart's grand plan backfired on not only the Mountie, but also the Nasty Boys at the Royal Rumble, & wonders if there is any friction now between Jimmy Hart & the Nasty Boys' new manager, Sensational Sherri. Bobby Heenan says if there is, you certainly can't tell right now because they're hitting on all cylinders, especially after that win over Sgt. Slaughter & Jim Duggan this past Monday night on Raw. Gorilla reminds the Brain that they had some help from Col. Mustafa. Heenan makes excuses for Col. Mustafa, then puts over his newest broadcast colleague, Raymond Rougeau, & how it's great that there will finally be some true, unbiased reporting in the World Wrestling Federation. Gorilla Monsoon says Raymond Rougeau couldn't even get hired to report for a tabloid.

-We see the hype video for Tatanka that was aired this past Monday night, where Tatanka puts over the culture of his people, the heritage of his ancestors, & how he hopes to be a great warrior as his ancestors were.

-Jake "The Snake" Roberts def. Chris Walker by pinfall after hitting the DDT. While Jake Roberts dominates his match against the green Chris Walker, Gorilla Monsoon wonders if Bobby Heenan saw the message from another newcomer to the WWF, Papa Shango, claiming to be the one behind Jake's recent foray into the dark side. Heenan says Papa Shango may have just brought out the best in Jake, because he is at his best right now.

THE HEARTBREAK HOTEL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRxEW_SXP0Q

Cr0ZQl.jpg

-It's time for the debut of the Heartbreak Hotel, & we even hear new theme music for Shawn Michaels to introduce the segment. Shawn welcomes fans to the newest talk show that will take over all of television. "More controversial than Donahue. More hard hitting than Geraldo. And sexier than Sally... although that doesn't take much." Shawn talks about how after he kicked Marty Jannetty to the curb, it was time to find someone who could guide him to singles stardom. And while he respects great managers such as Mr. Fuji, Jimmy Hart, Sensational Sherri, Mr. Perfect & of course, the greatest manager of all time, Bobby "The Brain" Heenan... he needed someone who would be more than a manager. He needed someone with both the brains & the looks. He also needed a lady in his life because it was time for him to finally go steady. So why not kill two birds with one stone & find someone who can be both a great manager & the perfect mate all at the same time? And boy did he find the perfect lady. In fact, you just heard her sing his new theme song. "Ladies & gentlemen, I present to you... Miss Genie!"

Cr0Sl3.jpg

Miss Genie makes her way up to the staging platform where the Heartbreak Hotel is. She talks about what a perfect man Shawn Michaels is, & how it was unfair for Marty Jannetty to hold the Heartbreak Kid back like he did. In fact, the Rockers could never win the Tag Team Titles, & it was always Marty that dropped the ball... "Much like how 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper dropped the ball when Shawn Michaels eliminated him with ease at the Royal Rumble!" Shawn & Miss Genie go on to talk about how Roddy Piper couldn't face Shawn like a man after being eliminated. No, he had to attack him from behind & distract him long enough to be unfairly eliminated. Shawn tells Piper that he made a big mistake, & Shawn is finally going to do what nobody else has been able to do... & that's shut the Hot Rod up for good. "Roddy Piper, you don't spit in the wind. You don't tug on Superman's cape. And you do not throw rocks at a man who's got a machine gun! Now I hate to cut this short, but folks... it's check out time!"

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-The Von Erichs def. Bob Bradley & Louie Spicolli by pinfall after Kevin Von Erich hit Bob Bradley with the Diving Crossbody. During the match, Gorilla Monsoon reminds the fans that Pres. Jack Tunney has an announcement concerning the new WWF Television Championship, & we will see that before this week's feature of Rick "The Model" Martel vs. Sgt. Slaughter.

-We see the hype video that we saw this past Monday night on Raw, where Papa Shango talked about bringing the darkness out of Jake "The Snake" Roberts, although it is interesting that he didn't mention the Undertaker for some reason. He talks about how darkness will soon envelop the WWF before laughing maniacally.

-Big Boss Man def. Brian Donahue by pinfall with the Boss Man Slam.

-We go to a pre-recorded video from the office of Pres. Jack Tunney. He reiterates how the WWF Television Championship will be awarded on Saturday Night's Main Event in February, & that there will be two battle royals: one this coming Monday night on Raw, & the other one next week right here on Wrestling Challenge. The winners of the two battle royals will then have a few weeks to prepare & face each other one-on-one on Saturday Night's Main Event. Tunney also puts over the stipulations for this title: it will not be defended at non-televised events, & will strictly be defended on television & PPV.

Tunney also added that the title can be defended on televised events that are seen exclusively in international markets. There is also a new time limit stipulation that the Championship Committee has agreed to. Title defenses on shows such as Monday Night Raw, Wrestling Challenge & Superstars will have a 15 minute time limit. Title defenses on PPV & international events seen on television in international markets will have a 20 minute time limit. However, from time to time & on a case by case basis, he & the Championship Committee may conference about the possibility of occasional title defenses that need the time limit either extended or removed altogether. Obviously, the first TV Title match next month will be such a case as there must be a winner to crown the first ever WWF TV Champion.

We then hear from some of the participants who will be in the battle royals. Repo Man & IRS of Repo Tax talk about how they plan on winning their respective battle royals, then will do what they have to in order to become champion when they face each other, but will shake hands after all is said & done. After all, it's just business! We hear from Mr. Fuji & the Berzerker, who talk about how the Berzerker's time has come, & he will toss out everyone like only he can, then will smash whoever is unfortunate enough to win the other battle royal. We hear from Skinner next, & he says that he's proven that he's the toughest contender in this TV Title field because he's still standing after going toe-to-toe with Sid Justice two nights in a row, & even says that the WWF might as well just put the TV Title belt that they made in a trophy case because he's going to hunt himself some wild game to make himself his own TV Title belt. Finally, we hear from "El Matador" Tito Santana & Virgil. They plan on winning their respective battle royals, then may best man win.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-Rick Martel def. Sgt. Slaughter by pinfall thanks in part to Col. Mustafa marching down to ringside & distracting Slaughter. However, Jim Duggan marches down the aisle & brawls with Col. Mustafa as road agents have to run out & separate them. The distraction is enough for Martel to roll Slaughter up & get the win.

-To the Event Center we go, & Sean Mooney puts over Rick Martel's victory over the former WWF World Heavyweight Champion, Sgt. Slaughter. Mooney then talks about the miscarriage of justice that was Bret "Hitman" Hart losing the WWF Intercontinental Championship to the "Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase. With that, we see a promo from Bret Hart, who is not happy at all about how everything went down last week at the Royal Rumble. He says it's been a rough few weeks, with Owen Hart being injured by the Mountie; the Mountie weaseling his way out of a match with him; & now Ted DiBiase stealing the Intercontinental Title. "Well guess what? I'm going to make everything right. I'm going to get my match with the Mountie & get revenge for what he did to Owen. And I will regain my Intercontinental Title back from the Million Dollar Man." Sean Mooney then recaps the rough patch "Macho Man" Randy Savage has gone through recently before throwing it to the Macho Man's promo. Randy says he has had a lot on his mind, but he hasn't forgotten about Jake Roberts, oh no. "The clock is ticking down on you Jake, & before too long, vengeance will be mine sayeth the Macho Man! OH YEAH!!! DIG IT?!"

Immediately segueing out of the Event Center & promotional consideration plugs, Gorilla Monsoon hypes up what a stacked lineup it will be on Wrestling Challenge next week! We will see the Wrestling Challenge battle royal to determine who will face the winner of this Monday night's battle royal to crown the first ever WWF TV Champion! "Also, Hercules will be in action! And our feature match, the Undertaker will team up with Jake 'The Snake' Roberts to take on Greg 'The Hammer' Valentine & 'Superfly' Jimmy Snuka!" The Brain responds, "Hold on, Gorilla! I have just been informed that Shawn Michaels has landed a monumental guest for the Heartbreak Hotel next week! He will be talking to none other than the unfairly maligned Wendi Richter! I wonder if she has any dirt on you, Monsoon." "I hope Rockin' Robin interrupts her again & shuts her up for good. Anyway, for the Brain, I'm Gorilla Monsoon saying so long, folks!"

Edited by Mattywood
spelling... again
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Mattywood said:

And boy did he find the perfect lady. In fact, you just heard her sing his new theme song. "Ladies & gentlemen, I present to you... Miss Genie!"

Cr0Sl3.jpg

Miss Genie makes her way up to the staging platform where the Heartbreak Hotel is. She talks about what a perfect man Shawn Michaels is, & how it was unfair for Marty Jannetty to hold the Heartbreak Kid back like he did

AKA Hollywood - the Heather Locklear of GLOW back in the day!  😍

• Like 2

WWF Superstars
Airing Sunday, Wk 3, January 1992 (Taped Tuesday, Wk 3, January 1992)
Dane County Coliseum
Madison, WI

Dark Match:
-Wendi Richter def. Sindy Paradise by pinfall with a Death Valley Driver that she calls the Siren's Call.

Main Show: 
-After the Superstars open, we are taken to the WWF Studios where Vince McMahon presides over this week's roundtable. One one side again are Gorilla Monsoon & Rev. Slick, & on the other side is Bobby Heenan. However, the chair next to him is noticeably empty. Vince McMahon asks just where on earth Mr. Perfect is, then reads Heenan the riot act, saying "It's bad enough you ditched me on Monday Night Raw & made that loud mouth punk, "Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert my new co-host! Now Mr. Perfect is ditching the roundtable?!" Heenan says that Mr. Perfect's schedule is more hectic than it's ever been now that Ric Flair is the WWF World Heavyweight Champion, which garners a "Likely story" from Gorilla Monsoon. Heenan tells Monsoon that everyone has to be fair to Flair, & that allowing Mr. Perfect time to help out the Nature Boy is what is "fair to Flair." "Oh boy!" groans Gorilla. Heenan tells his roundtable mates to all rise & bow before their new co-host, Jerry "The King" Lawler. Lawler's music even plays in the studio as he enters. However, Bobby Heenan is the only one who stands & bows to the King, with Lawler acknowledging the Brain. Heenan & Lawler look rather disgusted that the face roundtable members refused to bow as the heels take their seats. Lawler says that it is an honor to fill the void left by Mr. Perfect as he takes on even more responsibilities as the executive consultant & financial advisor for Ric Flair, with Lawler giving his congratulations & saying that while he (Lawler) gave it his all, it was Flair's night. Discussion switches over to what happened at the Royal Rumble, with Vince McMahon, Gorilla Monsoon & Rev. Slick all wondering what is going on between Hulk Hogan & Sid Justice. Bobby Heean & Jerry Lawler both claim that they know what it is: their egos are so big that they exploded last week, & it's only a matter of time before they take each other out. With that, Vince McMahon throws it to Update with Mean Gene Okerlund.

-In the Update segment, Gene Okerlund puts over what an event the Royal Rumble was. Congratulations are in order for the Legion Of Doom, having retained their WWF World Tag Team Titles over the Natural Disasters, & he noted that the L.O.D. seemed rougher & tougher than they have ever been. Gene also informed us that Typhoon is not medically cleared to compete, but Jimmy Hart & the Natural Disasters are lobbying to get the big man cleared as they feel they were cheated with Animal using the megaphone on Typhoon. "Never mind the fact that Jimmy Hart was the one who introduced the megaphone in the first place!" says Gene Okerlund. He then talks about how Sid Justice inadvertently eliminated Hulk Hogan, but Hogan thought it was on purpose. Gene recaps how the two were arguing back & forth, even getting into a shouting match at one point. While we did see Sid Justice get the better of Skinner on Monday Night Raw this past week, he has refused to comment on the matter, as has Hulk Hogan. Gene then throws us to the promo we saw from Monday Night Raw where Mr. Perfect & Ric Flair hyped up the fact that Flair is the new WWF World Heavyweight Champion.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-The Beverly Bros. def. Chaz Warrington & Glen Ruth by pinfall when Beau pinned Glen Ruth after the Beverly Bros. hit the Shaker Heights Spike.

-The roundtable continues as Heenan & Lawler put over how ruthless the Beverly Bros. have been lately. Speaking of ruthless teams, Vince McMahon welcomes via satellite from WMC-5 in Memphis, which Jerry Lawler puts over as a great TV station, Jimmy Hart & the Natural Disasters. They are furious about the fact that Typhoon can't be medically cleared, with medical personnel citing that he received a pretty serious concussion when Animal blasted him with the megaphone. Rev. Slick points out that Jimmy Hart was the one who brought in the megaphone, so maybe the Natural Disasters should be questioning him as to why they're not receiving a rematch against the Legion Of Doom. Jimmy Hart & the Natural Disasters are not amused & warn the Legion Of Doom that they better have eyes in the back of their heads because the doctors may not clear them to wrestle, but they didn't say anything about simply taking out the L.O.D.!

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-The Barbarian def. Sonny Rogers by pinfall with a Flying Clothesline. During the match, Sean Mooney & Lord Alfred Hayes noted on commentary that Papa Shango appeared in the aisleway for some reason.

-The panel discuss the Barbarian making short work of Sonny Rogers & ponder whether or not Papa Shango may have his eyes on the Barbarian for some reason. Bobby Heenan puts over how mean & aggressive the Barbarian is, saying that Papa Shango would be smart to make an alliance with him. Heenan & Lawler notice that Gorilla Monsoon had left & has now come back with another chair. Vince references the runaway Disney animated hit, Beauty & the Beast, & he says it is time to go from the beast to the beauty as he welcomes newcomer Misty Blue into the studio. Gorilla, the gentleman that he is, holds the chair open for Misty until she sits down, then goes back to sit in his chair. Heenan & Lawler look like they are both looking afar, which prompts Vince to ask them what they're looking for.

Lawler: "You said it was time to go from the beast to the beauty."

Heenan: "Yeah, so where is the beauty."

Gorilla: "WILL YOU STOP?!"

Heenan: "We're just asking."

Rev. Slick, Gorilla Monsoon & Vince McMahon are all appalled by the comments of Bobby "The Brain" Heenan & Jerry "The King" Lawler. Misty Blue says that she appreciates Rev. Slick, Gorilla & Vince sticking up for her, but she's a tough lady & can handle herself against the Weasel & the Burger King. Heenan & Lawler take exception to that as the faces love Misty's comeback. Misty hypes up how excited she is that the World Wrestling Federation called her to be part of the revived Women's Division which Vince says now also includes the likes of Sindy Paradise, Penny Mitchell & Cheryl Rusa, to name a few. Heenan & Lawler warn her that she better look out for a meaner Wendi Richter, as well as some other personal favorites of theirs that they heard recently signed on such as Peggy Lee Leather & Denise Storm. Misty says she looks forward to going out there, kicking butt & becoming the next WWF Women's Champion. Vince throws it to an interview Raymond Rougeau conducted this past week at a live event (really the Wrestling Challenge & Superstars TV tapings) with Jimmy Hart & the Mountie.

-Raymond Rougeau interviews Jimmy Hart & the Mountie about how unfair it was what Pres. Jack Tunney did to them & Sensational Sherri's Nasty Boys. Jimmy Hart says that all they did was conduct fair & honest business, & Pres. Tunney came down on them harder than anyone else, & it isn't right. The Mountie says that he is proud of what he did to Owen Hart, because the Rocket was breaking the law of the WWF by sticking his nose into the Mountie's business. Sean Mooney & Lord Alfred Hayes both agree that it was the Mountie who attacked Owen Hart unprovoked. Raymond Rougeau asks Jimmy Hart & the Mountie about the extent of Owen Hart's injuries. Jimmy Hart heard that Owen may never show his face again, & the Mountie says he is surprised that the Rocket would ever show his face to begin with. If anything, using his shock stick on Owen's face was an improvement! Sean Mooney & Lord Alfred Hayes are disgusted at the comments from Jimmy Hart & the Mountie, & also complain about Raymond Rougeau's clearly biased reporting.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-We see the hype video of Tatanka once more, just in case you didn't see it on Monday Night Raw &/or Wrestling Challenge.

-The Bushwhackers def. Duane Gill & Barry Hardy by pinfall when Luke pinned Duane Gill after the Bushwhackers hit the Battering Ram.

-Back to the studio, & Vince welcomes Sensational Sherri via satellite from Studio B, & Sherri has two new ladies standing along with her.

C8Bmei.jpg C8Bl2F.jpg

Vince says he knows who those two ladies are, & Sensational Sherri says "Yeah, not only do I manage the Nasty Boys, but I now also manage Linda Dallas & Kat LeRoux, the Nasty Girls." Sherri says that they have wrestled all over the globe & are now here in the WWF, ready to take on everybody. Linda & Kat put themselves over as well, & they put over what a great manager Sensational Sherri will be for them. They say they can't wait to tear apart pretty faces such as Cheryl Rusa & Rockin' Robin, but they especially can't wait to get their hands on their old rival, Misty Blue, who seems to follow them everywhere they go. Sensational Sherri also warns that the Nasty Boys were none too pleased about what happened at the Royal Rumble, & that what happens to everyone that faces Brian Knobbs & Jerry Sags is on the shoulders of Pres. Jack Tunney.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-Bret Hart def. Barry Horowitz via submission with the Sharpshooter.

-After noting that Bret Hart seems to have picked himself up after his loss last Sunday, the panel give their final thoughts on the week that was in the World Wrestling Federation. Gorilla Monsoon says he can't believe that "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan & Col. Mustafa are willing to risk their careers tomorrow night on Monday Night Raw. Rev. Slick asks what happens if there is a double disqualification or double count out? Vince says that is a question that Pres. Tunney would have to answer if that happens. Bobby Heenan & Jerry Lawler talk about how they believe Shawn Michaels hit the jackpot with his new manager & girlfriend, Miss Genie. Vince McMahon ponders if maybe she had been influencing Shawn this whole time, going all the way back to when the Rockers started having problems late last year. Vince talks about how he's looking forward to Piper's Pit tomorrow night on Monday Night Raw, with "Macho Man" Randy Savage as his guest, with Gorilla Monsoon & Rev. Slick saying it is great that they will talk out their differences. Bobby Heenan & Jerry Lawler both think that Piper & Macho Man won't be able to help it & will come to blows. They also wonder when Hulk Hogan & Sid Justice will break their silence about what went down at the Royal Rumble. Vince adds "And who can forget?! Tomorrow night is the first of two battle royals, with the two winners of those battle royals facing each other in a few weeks on Saturday Night's Main Event to crown the first ever WWF Television Champion!" The panel give their thoughts on who could very well be the first ever WWF Television Champion, with Jerry "The King" Lawler saying he will win it all. Of course, Bobby Heenan finds it hard to disagree with Lawler. Gorilla thinks Virgil could very well take it as he knows what it was like to have the gold before when he held the Million Dollar Championship & looks more aggressive than he ever has. Rev. Slick says to watch out for someone like Tito Santana, how it's been a long time since he's been a champion & he is due to be champion at any moment. Vince thinks those are all great picks, but he thinks that the Berzerker could be the man to beat. He's got Mr. Fuji as a manager, & he's more dangerous than he ever has been recently. With that, Vince tells everyone to tune in to Monday Night Raw tomorrow night!

• Like 2

Wrestling Observer WWF News & Notes

-For those wondering why the WWF has been referring to their top title as the WWF World Heavyweight Championship rather than the World Wrestling Federation Championship, as well as having talent be allowed to say the WWF initials if they so choose, the World Wrestling Federation reached an agreement with the World Wildlife Fund to be able to use the WWF initials. The World Wildlife Fund have also been looking to change the name of their organization anyway, which will eventually mean new initials for them.

-Typhoon's concussion is a work, & according to my sources, Animal made sure to go out of his way to take care of Typhoon when doing the megaphone shots to the head at the Royal Rumble. If you look closely, you'll see that the megaphone didn't make contact with Typhoon's head, & that Animal had his hand in place just to be on the safe side. The reason for the injury angle is to give an out for the Natural Disasters so that they can still be taken seriously as a monster heel tag team.

-There was a dark match at the Royal Rumble event. In a six-woman tag team match, Misty Blue, Rockin' Robin & Sindy Paradise def. Peggy Lee Leather & the Nasty Girls (Kat LeRoux & Linda Dallas). Sensational Sherri was working the corner as a practice run for her managing the Nasty Girls.

-The WWF has agreed to a new broadcasting deal with the MSG Network that will see the WWF continue to broadcast their Madison Square Garden cards on the New York area cable channel.

-Expect Crush to return to WWF TV soon. While retaining the Crush name, he has been repackaged as a babyface, with new ring gear & without the face paint. 

-The WWF was able to sign Bam Bam Bigelow to an exclusive deal, & he is already working house shows. Vince McMahon is also allowing Bam Bam to finish up his commitments with New Japan.

-The reason the Nasty Boys are now managed by Sensational Sherri? Believe it or not, despite his quirks, it wasn't because Vince McMahon didn't feel like making Linda Dallas & Kat LeRoux come up with a new team name. It was to make the creative a bit easier with Jimmy Hart only managing one tag team in the Natural Disasters instead of two with both the Natural Disasters & the Nasty Boys.

-Expect Greg "The Hammer" Valentine to finish up his WWF commitments soon as he has signed an exclusive written deal with WCW. Maybe new scenery is what he needs because he hasn't been the same since his face turn last year.

• Like 3

I apologize in advance for posting a downer tonight (or whenever you read this). My grandmother recently passed away this week, living into her 90's. We knew it was coming eventually as her health had declined, and she got to go in her sleep. Again, sorry for the downer update, but I thought I owed it to you all as I hadn't posted in this diary for awhile.

• Sad 6

14 hours ago, Mattywood said:

I apologize in advance for posting a downer tonight (or whenever you read this). My grandmother recently passed away this week, living into her 90's. We knew it was coming eventually as her health had declined, and she got to go in her sleep. Again, sorry for the downer update, but I thought I owed it to you all as I hadn't posted in this diary for awhile.

Aww man, so sorry to hear.  90 something is a great run though, so be grateful you had her for that long at least.

I got a little catching up to do here as well (and will this weekend), but really hope you keep this going man, it's brilliant!

• Thanks 1

Very sorry to hear about your Gram, My condolences to you and your family.

Now as I just read everything tonight I have to say I really enjoyed the new creative direction for the WWF post Rumble.  The Wendi Richter promo was great.  The WWF is not easy to do with all the shows and talent on the roster, so good luck your off to an amazing start!  And teaming Hollywood with HBK is something new, I like it.  Will be very interested in following where you go.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the kind support over the past week. I would be remiss if I didn't share a pretty funny memory of my grandmother that I think most people on here will enjoy. 

Back when Smackdown was on UPN (remember that network?!), I was riding with my grandparents on our way to have breakfast, & my late grandfather was talking to me about what happened on Smackdown the night before when Kurt Angle beat up Josh Mathews. Now my grandmother wasn't easily fooled by any wrestling angles, so imagine our surprise when she goes "Kurt Angle should be in jail! He should've been arrested for beating up that announcer." My grandfather & I tried to convince her that it was part of the show, but she wasn't having it. In her mind, Kurt Angle decided to go into business for himself & shoot on poor Josh Mathews!

As for the diary, look for another entry coming soon.

• Like 6

WWF Monday Night Raw
Airing Monday, Wk 4, January 1992 (Taped Monday, Wk 3, January 1992)
Manhattan Center, New York City
Attendance: 1,200 (Sold out!)

Dark Match:
-Bam Bam Bigelow def. Sonny Blaze by pinfall with a Diving Headbutt.

Main Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flTOhPDuC1k

- ::Battle Royal::
Greg "The Hammer" Valentine, Jerry "The King" Lawler, "Superfly" Jimmy Snuka, Kato, Nikolai Volkoff, Pat Tanaka, Repo Man, The Barbarian, The Berzerker & Virgil

As the entrants were making their way to the ring, Vince McMahon put over how the USA Network granted the WWF extra time if necessary because of the significance of tonight's edition of Monday Night Raw! And what better way to kick off the show than with the first of two battle royals scheduled to help determine the first ever WWF Television Champion?! Vince McMahon & Eddie Gilbert talked about how on Saturday Night's Main Event in just a few weeks, the winner of tonight's battle royal will face the winner of this weekend's battle royal airing on Wrestling Challenge. The competition starts off fast & fierce, with Jerry Lawler scoring the first elimination by dumping out Greg Valentine. Not to be outdone, the Berzerker manages to to overpower & dump out Nikolai Volkoff out of the ring. Already down to eight, & Jimmy Snuka seems to have Jerry Lawler going out, but the Repo Man sneaks up & helps Lawler toss Snuka out & over the top rope. The Orient Express are trying to overcome the Barbarian, but he clotheslines both men out of the ring. Barbarian, however, takes a bit too much time to showboat & gets dropkicked over the top rope & to the floor by Virgil! Virgil realizes that he is surrounded Jerry Lawler, the Berzerker & Repo Man. Berzerker ruins everything & goes into business for himself by nailing not only Virgil, but Jerry Lawler & Repo Man with running big boots, then marches around, stomps around & shouts "HUSS!" over & over. Berzerker is about to toss out Repo Man, but Jerry Lawler tosses them both out. Lawler seems to have forgotten that Virgil is still in this match as he is already celebrating while the referees outside the ring are telling him Virgil is still in it. He seems flabbergasted, & that's when Virgil starts making his comeback. But Lawler stops Virgil in his tracks with a right hand punch. Vince McMahon is shouting at the TV truck to go to a camera operator who has a closer look, & Lawler indeed has a foreign object in his hands. Eddie Gilbert points out that this is a battle royal, so there is nothing the refs can do. Lawler uses his foreign object again, & he is laughing, thinking he has Virgil finished off. Lawler puts the foreign object up & declares he is going to win this battle royal, but as he goes to pick up Virgil, the former Million Dollar Champion picks Lawler up & nails him with an inverted atomic drop. Virgil fights back with right hand punches of his own, complete with fancy footwork, then delivers a knockout clothesline that sends Lawler up & over the top rope & to the floor!

Winner of Battle Royal #1: Virgil

-Next we see a hype video featuring Afa, who 1980s fans may remember as one-half of the Wild Samoans. He's doing some crazy Samoan training of two new proteges & family members of his Samoan family tree, Samu & Fatu. They're enjoying hitting each other with wild forearm shots at Afa's insistence. Afa then grabs their heads & knocks them together with a double noggin knocker that doesn't phase them, but instead makes them feel even stronger. Afa warns the other tag teams in the WWF that the Headshrinkers are on their way. Neither Vince McMahon nor Eddie Gilbert know what to make of what they just saw, one of the rare times they actually agree on something. Vince then tells the fans to stay tuned because up next, we are going to see an interview that Sean Mooney conducted with Rockin' Robin last week after both she & Wendi Richter returned to the WWF.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-This Past Thursday

We see a sit down interview that Sean Mooney conducted with Rockin' Robin Thursday of last week. Sean asks Robin if what Wendi said about her & how she felt at WrestleMania V was true. Robin said it was true, & that being younger than she is now, she felt emotional about not getting to defend the WWF Women's Championship at WrestleMania V. However, looking back, she understands that as champion, she got complacent & didn't give Pres. Jack Tunney any incentive to give her a match at the biggest card of the year. Maybe not singing very well in front of a big crowd of WWF fans is exactly the kick in the butt she needed to get back in gear, but she didn't realize it at the time. Instead, she wallowed in self pity & thought she had a friend in Wendi Richter. She had turned to drinking, & one day she realized she had a problem. She fought to kick her drinking habit, & she fights every day to stay sober. When she heard that the WWF was bringing back the Women's Title, she knew that this might be her only chance to redeem herself & immediately called to sign a new deal. She called Wendi Richter as well & informed her of the good news, & she thought that they were on the same page when Wendi said that this was a chance for them to make everything right. "I had no idea that Wendi meant going out & grabbing a live microphone & airing her grievances. Yes, I had my grievances, but I shared them in private, thinking I was confiding in someone who I could trust because I saw her bounce back from her obstacles. So that's why I went out there, to try to bring Wendi back to her senses. Then she tried to embarrass me on national television, & next thing you know, I snapped & we're in a huge catfight." Robin says that she doesn't want to have to fight Wendi Richter. Wrestle her? Sure, but not a fight. "I still consider Wendi Richter a friend. And sometimes friends have disagreements, but they patch up their differences, apologize & go on. I would like to think that Wendi will be willing to apologize for her part, because I apologize for mine." Sean Mooney wishes Rockin' Robin the best of luck & maybe she will regain the WWF Women's Championship that she never truly lost.

-Hercules w/Harvey Wippleman def. Buck Quartermain by pinfall after hitting the Double Sledge. During the match, Vince McMahon said that he found out that the WrestleMania VIII press conference would be taking place next Sunday afternoon in Indianapolis, Indiana, & that highlights would be shown next week right here on Monday Night Raw!

-After the match, Eddie Gilbert grabs a house mic & interviews Harvey Wippleman about his association with Hercules, seeing as that Harvey also manages the Warlord, who is still out with an injury to his jaw. Harvey puts over what a powerful client the Warlord is, but why only have one powerhouse when you can have two? Eddie thinks they might make a great team, & Harvey agrees. "However, I have bigger fish to fry. One man will bring me the WWF World Heavyweight Championship, & the other will bring me the Intercontinental Championship. They don't care which one wins which title, because winning championship gold brings home even more money than just the winner's share of the purse from winning a match. And like that old saying goes... not only will the right one get ya, but the left one will as well!" Harvey laughs as both Hercules & Warlord grin at the prospect of decimating the WWF roster.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-Gene Okerlund is in the ring, & he welcomes the new WWF Intercontinental Champion, "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase into the ring. DiBiase says that his ultimate plan paid dividends as now he is the WWF Intercontinental Champion. He says that fans may have noticed that he didn't wear his Million Dollar Championship to the ring at the Rumble, & that was because he knew he would be winning the Intercontinental Championship, so he has now retired the Million Dollar Championship. He puts over that he sold it to a museum for an exorbitant amount of money, more money than all of the fans combined will see in their lifetimes. DiBiase says that Bret Hart had a great run, but he is not the caliber of athlete that Ted DiBiase is, as evidenced by how easily he got knocked out by a vicious right hand punch. Gene questions DiBiase's statement, pointing out that he was wearing a pair of brass knuckles, but DiBiase refutes the claim while saying that he expected such a statement from a yellow journalist. DiBiase wishes Bret luck in his upcoming match against the Mountie on Saturday Night's Main Event in a few weeks, because he will need it if he wants to get back into title contention.

-We see a new hype video of Tatanka, where he is going through one last sacred ceremony. He says that the time has come for him to arrive to the World Wrestling Federation, & next Monday night on Raw, he will march his way to the first of many victories for him. Eddie Gilbert comments on the video & says that Tatanka is overconfident, counting his chickens before they hatch because he very well could lose in his debut match. Vince McMahon says that he believes Tatanka has the right amount of confidence one needs to be a strong Native American warrior & looks forward to seeing his debut next week on Monday Night Raw. Vince throws it to break: "Stay tuned because still to come: The return of Piper's Pit, where the Hot Rod will welcome the Macho Man as his guest! 'Hacksaw' Jim Duggan takes on Col. Mustafa where the loser will leave the WWF for good! And up next, it's the Mountie in action!"

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-The Mountie w/Jimmy Hart def. Brian Costello by submission with the Quebec Crab. During the match, Eddie Gilbert noted on commentary that he's hearing a rumor that the Genius & the Beverly Bros. have been lobbying Pres. Jack Tunney for a Tag Title match given their recent hot streak. Vince McMahon says they better watch what they wish for because they might just get it.

-After the match, the Mountie got his shock stick & started making threats against Costello. "What is my name?! What is my name?!" shouted the Mountie on the mic as Costello tried rolling out of the way. Before the Mountie had a chance to shock him, there was a commotion in the audience...

CkZ4tl.jpg

Dressed in street clothes, Owen Hart ran in from the crowd, slid into the ring & jumped the Mountie from behind! Owen punched away at the Mountie's head as the referee unsuccessfully tried to get Owen off of the Mountie. Owen jumped up & shoved the ref down, which prompted Eddie Gilbert to talk about how he would get a heavy fine for that, & Vince McMahon again agreed with Eddie. "That's twice in one night, Vin-Daddy. Are you sure you're actually Vince McMahon since we're in agreement tonight?" As Owen Hart grabbed the shock stick, Jimmy Hart pleaded for Sensational Sherri to bring out the Nasty Boys. Owen threatened the Mountie with the shock stick, then turned to see Sherri & the Nasty Boys. He threatened them with the shock stick if they dared to enter the ring. Finally, other officials ran down to the ring & pleaded with Owen to calm down. He looked like he was cooling off, but nope! He blasted one official in the head with the shock stick, using it as a weapon to strike with rather than shock with. Owen then shocked an official in the rib cage, sending him down to the mat nearly in the fetal position. Owen went wild & threw other officials down as now the new team of High Power, Jim Neidhart & Koko B. Ware, ran down to the ring to plead with Owen to calm down. The sight of Jim Neidhart & Koko B. Ware helped to calm Owen down as Eddie Gilbert was completely indignant on the call of the action. "If the Mountie had shocked that scrub he beat tonight, you'd go ballistic! But Owen Hart comes out here & beats the tar out of the Mountie from behind, then attacks officials, even shocking one of them, & you're okay with that?!" "I do not condone what Owen Hart did to the officials. That part was uncalled for. But what he did to the Mountie? Forgive my language, but you're damn right I'm okay with that! The Mountie nearly ended Owen Hart's career!" Vince & Eddie eventually end their argument as Vince hypes up the Loser Leaves WWF match coming up next.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-It's another hype video for Papa Shango, & he talks about how the Barbarian has that dark violence that he's (Papa Shango) is looking to inflict on the WWF. "Sure, he came up short tonight, but I, Papa Shango, look at the big picture." Papa Shango then directed his attention to Jake "The Snake" Roberts, saying that he needs to remind the Undertaker & Paul Bearer of their goal to envelop the WWF in total darkness, or else.

-Loser Leaves The WWF: "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan w/Sgt. Slaughter vs. Col. Mustafa w/Gen. Adnan

Sgt. Slaughter was at ringside to ensure there wasn't any funny business. Your typical American Hero vs. Foreign Heel that seems a bit more approriate for 1987 instead of 1992, but the fans seemed to like it enough. Gen. Adnan attempted to intefere, but Sgt. Slaughter locked him in a Cobra Clutch before he could even get onto the apron, while a distracted Col. Mustafa turned around & right into a Three Point Stance Clothesline from Jim Duggan. ONE... TWO... THREE!

Winner: "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan

Col. Mustafa & Gen. Adnan cannot believe it! Col. Mustafa is gone from the WWF! The Manhattan Center crowd start singing "NANA-NA-NA! NANA-NA-NA! HEY-EY-EY! GOOD BYE!!!" Col. Mustafa & Gen. Adnan are losing their minds as they leave the ringside area while Sgt. Slaughter & "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan lead the crowd on in their impromptu singing. Eddie Gilbert can't believe it either. "Why is it that everywhere I go, there's that snot-nosed Jim Duggan?!" "While Eddie Gilbert complains more than a kid who got the wrong toy at Christmas, our capable ring crew will prepare us for Piper's Pit, because it's coming up next! On Monday Night Raw!"

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-It's time for the return of Piper's Pit, & the sound of bagpipes over the loud speakers can only mean one thing: "Rowdy" Roddy Piper making his way down to the ring! Piper first brings up Shawn Michaels' debut of the Heartbreak Hotel this past weekend on Wrestling Challenge, & congratulated Shawn on finding a long term girlfriend. "And to think, he's dating the granddaughter of a famous TV star. Too bad that TV star is Yosemite Sam." Vince McMahon laughs like only he can while Eddie Gilbert says "Roddy Piper better watch it, or Shawn Michaels will do worse to him than he did Marty Jannetty!" Now on to serious business. Piper says that this isn't a long term return of Piper's Pit. In fact, this may be the last time we see Piper's Pit. Piper says that he asked for this time because he needed to clear the air with his guest tonight, Randy "The Macho Man" Savage. You know it's serious business when Macho Man comes to the ring without his entrance music. He's not even wearing his signature sunglasses. Macho Man says he accepted this invitation because he wanted to clear the air too.

"I still can't get rid of Jake Roberts... I still need to avenge what he did to Elizabeth in Texas... & now here I am fighting you, & some painted face freak is claiming he's the mastermind of the whole thing. Now I'm not one to want to get into a debate about the supernatural, but I can say with 100%, uh huh, that I am not under any spell what-so-eeeverrrr. Yeah!" 

"Hey, I'm not going to spend tonight debating about all that weird junk that someone who doesn't even have the guts to face either you or me is into, but I will say that I am 100% confident that I'm under no spell, either. I've always been a hothead, & you've always been a hothead. I've always preferred settling my differences like a man & fighting if I have to, & you have as well. So finally, I think we can agree that neither one of us are under the spell of some con artist." Macho Man agrees with Piper, & that's why he wants Pres. Jack Tunney to make a match between the two of them so that they can settle their beef once & for all. Piper agrees, & the crowd is cheering on the prospect of a match between Roddy Piper & Macho Man. Elizabeth runs out & tries to plead for both men to not come to blows.

"Guys... guys... You two have been friends for too long just to throw it all away with a match where someone could get seriously hurt. Please, you two need to reconsider. Roddy, think of your family in Oregon. And Randy, think about our future together. Please." Macho Man hesitates for a minute while Piper asks him who wears the pants in the family, & quickly adds in "And don't you say anything about my kilt being a skirt!" "Oh believe me, Roddy, I know that is a kilt, 100%, uh-huh." Randy then responds that while he loves Elizabeth, at the end of the day, he has to do what a Macho Man has to do. "And this Macho Man has to go one-on-one with the Hot Rod, OH YEAH! DIG IT?!" Piper tells Randy that he accepts the challenge, then turns to the camera & says "President Tunney, for once make a good decision without the fans having to put pressure on you & make this match between myself & the Macho Man official! Anytime, anywhere!" Piper sticks out his hand, & Randy looks down at it. He shakes it, but it's a firm handshake as he brings Piper in, face to face, nose to nose. Randy lets go, & the two go their separate ways as Elizabeth looks heartbroken that Randy will fight the Hot Rod. Eddie Gilbert says he is getting some news in his headset, so Vince McMahon says that it's a good time to go to a quick break so that Eddie can confirm that news.

-Vince McMahon notes that Macho Man is signing autographs at ringside along with Elizabeth, then Eddie Gilbert interrupts & proceeds to inform us that he can't believe it! Next week on Monday Night Raw, the Legion Of Doom are indeed putting the WWF World Tag Team Championship on the line against the Beverly Brothers! And he also received word that the Legion Of Doom gladly accepted the challenge. Eddie says he can't believe that Hawk & Animal are putting the belts up so soon after fighting the Natural Disasters, while Vince McMahon says that Beau & Blake may have bitten off more than they can chew. Vince also reminds us that we will see highlights from the WrestleMania VIII press conference that takes place this Sunday, & says that he understands both Hulk Hogan & Sid Justice will be there. Eddie says he hopes they tear each other's heads off while Vince says this could be their own chance to talk things out like Macho Man & Roddy Piper did tonight, albeit maybe without challenging each other to a match. "Oh come on, Vin-Daddy. We all know you really want to see Hulk Hogan take on Sid Justice. This is a dream match for you!" Vince McMahon reminds us that Tatanka makes his Raw debut next week, & we will also see Wendi Richter in action next week right here on Monday Night Raw! "For 'Ice Cold' Eddie Gilbert," "HEY!" "I'm Vince McMahon saying so long, folks!"

Post-Show Dark Match:
-Sid Justice & "Macho Man" Randy Savage w/Elizabeth vs. The Undertaker & Ric Flair w/Paul Bearer & Mr. Perfect ended in a Double DQ when both Sid Justice & the Undertaker both took turns knocking the referee down. During the match, we also had Randy Savage chase Ric Flair & Mr. Perfect to the back with a steel chair after they made eye contact with Elizabeth. Randy then ran into the ring & blasted the Undertaker in the back with a chair, sending him out of the ring to send the Manhattan Center crowd happy.

Edited by Mattywood
formatting
  • Like 6

WWF Wrestling Challenge
Airing Saturday, Wk 4, January 1992 (Taped Tuesday, Wk 3, January 1992)
Dane County Coliseum
Madison, WI

Dark Matches:
-Penny Mitchell & Cheryl Rusa def. Denise Storm & Peggy Lee Leather when Mitchell pinned Leather.
-Rockin' Robin def. Allison Royal by pinfall with the Running Bulldog.

Main Show:
- ::Battle Royal::
Brian Knobbs, Bushwhacker Butch, Davey Boy Smith, Irwin R. Schyster, Jerry Sags, Jim Neidhart, Koko B. Ware, Bushwhacker Luke, Skinner & Tito Santana

It's a cold open for Wrestling Challenge this week as we see the Nasty Boys, Bushwhackers, High Power, Tito Santana & Skinner already in the ring. IRS makes his way down to the ring, chastising the Dane County Coliseum fans for cheating on their taxes, but not to worry: he'll gladly send the Repo Man over to confiscate their dairy products, bratwurst & beer hops, which of course draws heat from the fans. The familiar strains of the British Bulldog's entrance music plays over the speakers, much to the relief of the fans & Gorilla Monsoon so that they don't have to hear IRS' ranting anymore. Bobby Heenan counters that IRS should replace Andy Rooney when the latter retires. The match starts, & it's a fast start to this battle royal as well since everyone is looking to be the first ever WWF Television Champion, even if they are in a tag team. High Power & the Nasty Boys immediately go after each other, brawling like there's no tomorrow. While everyone else is trying to eliminate each other, Davey Boy Smith clotheslines IRS down to the canvas, then runs over & clotheslines the Nasty Boys over the top rope & to the floor... but in doing so, he also inadvertently eliminates High Power. Davey looks disappointed as he wants High Power to know that he wasn't going to attack them from behind, being a stand up guy & all, & IRS dumps Davey Boy out from behind. Meanwhile, Bushwhacker Luke has already been eliminated by Skinner, & the Alligator Man of the WWF forms a loose alliance with IRS to fight off Bushwhacker Butch & Tito Santana. Skinner is able to dispatch of Butch, but Tito eliminates Skinner. Down to IRS & Tito Santana, & they put on a bit of a clinic as they're both fighting to make it to the TV Title match on Saturday Night's Main Event, now just two weeks away. Tito eventually has IRS reeling, & he goes for the flying forearm... but IRS ducks out of the way & Tito winds up landing on the top rope stomach first. That's the opening IRS needs to dump Tito out & eliminate him.

Winner of Battle Royal #2: Irwin R. Schyster

-Special Report

Lord Alfred Hayes is standing by in the WWF Control Room, & he talks about how the Mountie threatened to shock another beaten opponent this past Monday night on Raw. However, Owen Hart made his return & attacked the Mountie. We see video highlights of the attack, & how Owen went ballistic by attacking officials. Lord Alfred Hayes informs us that President Jack Tunney had a very important message concerning this matter. Alfred reminds us that these comments were recorded earlier this week.

Pres. Tunney: "This past Monday night on Raw, Owen Hart went over the line after he attacked the Mountie following a contest that the Mountie had won. While attacking the Mountie was one thing given what had transpired weeks prior, Owen Hart crossed the line when he started attacking WWF officials. It was one thing to shove down a referee, which would have simply resulted in Owen paying a fine. However, after he hit one official with the Mountie's shock stick, shocked another official with that same shock stick, then attacked more officials, I have been given no choice but to suspend Owen Hart for 120 days, retroactive as of this past Tuesday. Furthermore, to make things fair, I have levied a hefty $10,000 fine on the Mountie for his prior attack on Owen Hart when he shocked him in the face. I will also assign officials to inspect the Mountie's shock stick at all WWF sanctioned events to ensure that it is no more than the allowed voltage that would render no serious harm to anyone. The Mountie's lawyers have insisted that he must have it with him at all times for self-defense, & for the time being, I will grant that request."

Lord Alfred Hayes then informs us that the Mountie & Jimmy Hart had pre-recorded comments upon hearing about Pres. Tunney's stunning decisions. The Mountie & Jimmy Hart say that it's about time that Pres. Tunney made the right decision, however there were still a few problems. For one, they felt that Owen Hart should've been barred for life! Second, they felt that the Mountie submitting the shock stick to WWF officials for inspection was draconian, but for now they will comply until his lawyers can get an injunction on Pres. Tunney's ruling. Also, the $10,000 fine was too steep, & they will be appealing that. The Mountie then hypes up that now that Owen Hart is done, he will finish off Bret Hart on Saturday Night's Main Event in two weeks.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-Virgil def. Mike Sharpe by pinfall with the Russian Leg Sweep. During the match, Gorilla Monsoon stated that he understood that action had to be taken against Owen Hart for how he attacked numerous officials this past Monday night, but felt that the 120 day suspension was too steep. Bobby Heenan felt that wasn't long enough, & he said that the Mountie being fined $10,000 & having to submit the cattle prod shock stick for inspection was way too much. Gorilla & Bobby also put over that now in two weeks on Saturday Night's Main Event, it would be Virgil facing IRS for the WWF Television Championship.

-The Event Center

We go to Sean Mooney in the Event Center, & for those watching the Omaha, Nebraska feed as part of the syndicated network of TV affiliates that air WWF Wrestling Challenge on Saturdays, he's hyping up tonight's big live event that will feature "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase putting the Intercontinental Championship on the line against "Rowdy" Roddy Piper in the main event. We hear comments from both men. Ted DiBiase reminds us how he "easily" beat Bret Hart with one simple right hand punch to the jaw that knocked Bret out cold, & says that he'll do the same to Roddy Piper. Roddy Piper goes ballistic, talking about how he's got a press conference to attend tomorrow afternoon; he's got to settle his beef with Macho Man, who in turn still has a score to settle with Jake Roberts; he's got Shawn Michaels tormenting him, & somehow during all of this, he has to figure out how to focus on winning the IC Title tonight against the Million Dollar Man. "Well you know what, DiBiase?! You better be scared because I've known how to fight my whole life, & I know how to fight multiple people all at the same time. So tomorrow, I'll be going to that WrestleMania press conference as the new Intercontinental Champion. And who knows... maybe both the Macho Man & Shawn Michaels will receive title shots. Maybe Jake Roberts himself will get a title shot. I know Bret Hart is still owed a rematch, so maybe I'll give him a title shot too. Tonight, Nebraska, it's time to get ROWDY!!!"

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-We see another Tatanka hype video from a sacred ceremony, & he talks about how he'll be debuting next week right here on Wrestling Challenge.

-Hercules w/Harvey Wippleman def. Brian Costello by pinfall with the Double Sledge. During the match, Bobby Heenan put over what a force that Harvey Wippleman has put together with Hercules & the Warlord, & also pointed out that Harvey seems to have rejuvenated Hercules since becoming his manager. Gorilla said that Herc & the Warlord seem to have shown improvement since coming under the tutelage of Harvey Wippleman, though he is curious how much of their salary he is taking from them. Heenan says "Only his fair share, 80%." "Oh, 80% from Hercules & 80% from Warlrord. Not even you took that much, Brain." "No, what I meant was that combined, it's 80%. So you have 40% from Hercules... and... um..." "I think I get the message, Brain."

-The Heartbreak Hotel

Miss Genie welcomes us to another edition of the Heartbreak Hotel, hosted by none other than Shawn Michaels. She puts over how reservations for the Heartbreak Hotel have been booked solid ever since last week, & why? "Because who wouldn't want to a chance to talk to the hottest man in the World Wrestling Federation today?" With that, Miss Genie hands the mic over to Shawn, who talks about how after what happened a couple of weeks ago on Monday Night Raw, he immediately called this lady up to see what her schedule was like. "Not for a date of course, because I already have one." Miss Genie follows up with a peck on Shawn's cheek, which gets a good reaction from Shawn as evidenced by the look on his face. "No, I wanted to give this lady a free reservation for a speaking engagement right here on the Heartbreak Hotel because I feel she wasn't finished with what she had to say as evidenced by how she was rudely interrupted. Please welcome my guest this week... Wendi Richter!" Wendi makes her way to the stage where the Heartbreak Hotel is located, & she puts over how Shawn & Miss Genie have much better accommodations than the rat motels the higher ups in the WWF would book her to stay in when she traveled on the road. "Oh my, Monsoon! Can you imagine that gorgeous lady having to stay in some cheap, deadbeat motel?" "Brain, I booked some of her reservations. Believe me, cheap, they were not." "You didn't say they weren't rat motels!" "Well they weren't. I guess I have to clarify everything to you."

Shawn asked Wendi what other thoughts she had on her mind since returning recently. Wendi said that after her return recently, her phone has been ringing off the hook. From the editors of Sports Illustrated, to Geraldo, to Arsenio Hall, to even Howard Stern & Hugh Hefner... They all want to know what is on her mind these days. She then said that she wanted to clear the air & let everyone know that Rockin' Robin was never a friend of hers. "In fact, she rode my coattails because she knew that if she didn't, she couldn't stay relevant in this business after leaving the World Wrestling Federation. Sure, I teamed up with her on occasion, but I knew what she was up to. Even knowing that, I still gave her a chance because I know the untapped talent she has, & that she can one day become the second best women's wrestler in the WWF. But she ruined all of that by picking a fight with me." Wendi Richter warned Rockin' Robin that this wasn't the same Wendi that got to be immortalized in cartoon form years ago. She said that this Wendi Richter was going to break her in half & make her wish that she kept consuming the joy juice. "And as if she wasn't ugly enough already, when I get done with Rockin' Robin, she's going to look more hideous than Jack Nicholson when he became the Joker." Wendi thanked Shawn & Miss Genie for being such wonderful hosts, & they thanked her for being such a great guest. With that, Shawn told the fans that it was checkout time, folks.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-Gorilla Monsoon informs us that Gene Okerlund has an update about the WrestleMania VIII press conference taking place tomorrow afternoon. We then go to Gene, who is in the WWF Control Room. Mean Gene informs us that Pres. Tunney would be presiding over the proceedings at the press conference, & would make an announcement regarding who would challenge "Nature Boy" Ric Flair, or whoever the WWF World Heavyweight Champion may be, at WrestleMania VIII. Gene said that scheduled to attend the press conference would be Hulk Hogan, "Macho Man" Randy Savage, Sid Justice & the Undertaker. Gene said others have been mentioned but have yet to be confirmed as appearing at the press conference tomorrow. "Remember, folks, we will show highlights from the press conference this coming Monday night on Monday Night Raw!"

-We see another hype video for Papa Shango, & he has a message for Jake "The Snake" Roberts & the Undertaker. He said that if they cannot defeat Greg "The Hammer" Valentine & "Superfly" Jimmy Snuka this week, then maybe they are not the warriors he needs to take over the World Wrestling Federation. And next week, he will be in action to show that he can back up what he says. He laughs maniacally as the hype video ends.

-Jake "The Snake" Roberts & The Undertaker w/Paul Bearer vs. Greg "The Hammer" Valentine & "Superfly" Jimmy Snuka

Gorilla Monsoon said he couldn't believe that Jake Roberts & the Undertaker would be the types that would take orders from Papa Shango, but Bobby Heenan said there is no telling what anyone would do if they were under the power of someone like Papa Shango. While not a regular team by any means, Greg Valentine & Jimmy Snuka looked like they had something to prove as they put up a good fight against Jake Roberts & the Undertaker. Gorilla wondered aloud if Greg Valentine & Jimmy Snuka could make a good team, & Bobby Heenan said if they pulled off an upset here, they could challenge whoever wins the WWF Tag Title match this Monday night between the L.O.D. & Beverly Bros. Alas, the Undertaker was able to knock out Snuka with a running big boot, sending the Superfly off the apron & to the floor. Undertaker then hit Greg Valentine with a Tombstone, but Jake Roberts yelled at him to tag in. The Undertaker didn't look pleased in the least, & neither did Paul Bearer. But Undertaker relented & tagged in Jake Roberts, who picked a lifeless Valentine up, hitting him with the DDT & getting the pinfall victory.

Winners: Jake "The Snake" Roberts & The Undertaker

-The Event Center

Sean Mooney joins us one more time from the Event Center, & we'll touch on the one sent out to other markets not hyping up a local house show. Mooney talks about how the relaunch of the Women's Division is quickly heating up, & we hear comments first from Denise Storm. She says that she's no frills, no nonsense, & that she lets what she does in the ring do all the talking for her. Denise said that unlike the other weaklings, she wasn't going to fuss because she had a bad hair day, or cry because she broke a fingernail. She said that she would rule the Women's Division, & she was going to look great doing it. Sean Mooney then throws it to  a pre-recorded promo from Misty Blue, who says that for years, everybody has been asking her when she was going to finally to go to the WWF. She said now is the best time: the best competition is here now, & great competition brings out the best in her. She said not to let her looks deceive you, because she will kick butt like Stallone & Van Damme when necessary.

Wrapping up the show, Gorilla Monsoon hypes up the lineup for next week! We will see Repo Tax in action! And not one but two Wrestling Challenge debuts next week as both Tatanka & Papa Shango will both make their Challenge debuts! Bobby Heenan interrupted to inform us that Jerry "The King" Lawler would be in action next week, & Gorilla takes back control to say that next week's feature match would pit Bret "Hitman" Hart against "The Model" Rick Martel! "For the Weasel, this is Gorilla Monsoon saying so long, folks!"

• Like 2

WWF Superstars
Airing Sunday, Wk 4, January 1992 (Taped Tuesday, Wk 3, January 1992)
Dane County Coliseum
Madison, WI

Main Show:
-We start with the opening roundtable discussion. Vince McMahon is moderating in the center, with Gorilla Monsoon & Rev. Slick on the viewer's left, while Bobby Heenan & Jerry Lawler are on the viewer's right. They talk about the plans they have tonight for the big football game (that's American football) later tonight. Bobby Heenan says that like Hank Williams Jr., all of his friends are coming over tonight. Gorilla Monsoon asks if his "rowdy" friends are coming over as well, & Heenan is rather indignant. "I would never, ever invite 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper over, Monsoon." Jerry Lawler says he's having a royal feast fitting for a king such as himself, & will invite Eddie Gilbert & his family over. Rev. Slick asks "Didn't you used to have problems with Eddie & his family?" Vince McMahon interjects, "I believe he did, & I hear Eddie at one point ran you over with his car!" Jerry Lawler accuses the babyfaces of the roundtable of trying to stir up trouble by digging up the past. Bobby Heenan calls Gorilla Monsoon & Vince McMahon hypocrites for pretending to be Rev. Slick's friend with all of the things they used to say about him, to which Rev. Slick says he knows how they felt about him, & quite frankly, he couldn't blame them. Gorilla says "He also didn't try to run over anybody with a car." Jerry Lawler throws up his hands & goes "What's all of this about running over people with cars?!" With that, Vince throws it over to our first match of the afternoon, with Sean Mooney & Lord Alfred Hayes on the call.

-Haku def. Sonny Blaze by pinfall with the Tongan Spike.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-Vince McMahon welcomes Irwin R. Schyster & Virgil to the show via satellite. They are being interviewed by the panel to discuss the upcoming TV Title match on Saturday Night's Main Event in two weeks, now on FOX for two hours! IRS says that Virgil has been a very lucky man over the last year, but eventually, luck runs out. He says we're already seeing signs of that with Virgil having lost the Million Dollar Title to Ted DiBiase. Virgil says that kind of talk is why he fights as hard as he does, & that it wasn't luck that's carried him this far. Bobby Heenan says it has to be something, because he remembers how he got the stuffing beat out of him when he was Ted DiBiase's bodyguard. Rev. Slick points out that maybe Virgil has always been that good, & that's why Ted DiBiase hired him to be a bodyguard: to watch his back, & keep him from having success of his own & overshadowing him. Gorilla Monsoon asks the question all of us are asking: "What exactly are you doing here, Irwin, if you're supposed to be working as a tax accountant?" IRS responds that there are so many tax cheats in the WWF that he has no choice but to get his hands dirty & collect. Virgil says he already paid early, so if Repo Man does any funny business, Tito Santana will stop him. After more debating with the panel, Vince McMahon throws it to our next match.

-Shawn Michaels w/Miss Genie def. Wellington Wilkins Jr. by pinfall with a Tear Drop Suplex.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-We see one more hype video for Tatanka, about how he's arriving in the WWF & debuts tomorrow night on Monday Night Raw!

-The Beverly Bros. w/The Genius def. "Superfly" Jimmy Snuka & Greg "The Hammer" Valentine by pinfall when Beau pinned Valentine.

-The panel welcomes High Power, consisting of Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart & Koko B. Ware. They say that Pres. Tunney's 120 day suspension of Owen Hart is unjust considering that the Mountie almost ended his career, while Owen only roughed up a few officials. Jerry Lawler points out that most of those officials were retired former wrestlers & their frail bodies couldn't take the damage Owen inflicted when he snapped. Koko tells Jerry that he just contradicted himself. Those officials being former wrestlers & all, they should be tough enough to withstand what Owen dished out while he was angry at the Mountie. Bobby Heenan asks "So if Owen Hart hurt them even worse, that would be a-okay with you guys?!" Jim Neidhart says that they did worry that Owen was about to go too far, which is why they ran out to stop him. High Power comment that they can't wait for Bret Hart to finally be able to get his hands on the Mountie in less than two weeks on Saturday Night's Main Event.

-Raymond Rougeau conducts a platform interview with Harvey Wippleman, who brings out his clients, Hercules & the Warlord. Harvey puts over that with both Hercules & the Warlord in his stable, he cannot go wrong. He again puts over that he has plans for one man to win the WWF World Heavyweight Title, & the other to win the Intercontinental Title. "Who knows, maybe they will also win the Tag Team Titles. More gold means more money for all of us."

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-The Von Erichs def. The Orient Express w/Mr. Fuji by pinfall when Kevin Von Erich pinned Pat Tanaka after a flying cross body.

-Time for the last panel discussion, & they give their thoughts on the tag team match we just witnessed. Gorilla Monsoon & Rev. Slick both point out that Kerry Von Erich seems to have found his groove again since teaming with Kevin Von Erich. Bobby Heenan & Jerry Lawler though think that the Orient Express may be on their way back, pointing out how they were more aggressive this week. Vince McMahon hyped up next week's Superstars program, how it would be a special Ladies Day edition of Superstars. "We will see the women who have arrived recently in action, & we will even talk with some of them throughout the show." Vince also puts over that we'll see highlights from this afternoon's WrestleMania VIII press conference tomorrow night on Monday Night Raw. Bobby Heenan asks how can the press conference be going on right now if they are here at the studio. Gorilla Monsoon: "Because we tape this before it's broadcast, remember?!" Vince McMahon points out that indeed, by the time the audience at home are watching this, he is in Indianapolis for the press conference. Bobby Heenan says "Wait, if you're here, how are you in... Oh I'm confused!" Gorilla Monsoon & Rev. Slick are hardly surprised at Heenan being thrown off, while Jerry Lawler tells the Brain they're doing this to him on purpose to try & make him look bad. Vince reminds us that we'll also see the Legion Of Doom defend the WWF World Tag Team Titles against the Beverly Bros. tomorrow night, then closes out the show as the credits roll.

Post-Show Dark Match:
"Macho Man" Randy Savage & Sid Justice w/Elizabeth def. Jake "The Snake" Roberts & The Undertaker w/Paul Bearer via pinfall after Savage rolled up Jake while Sid & Undertaker fought all the way to the back.

Courtesy of various local newspapers:

Some recent WWF house show results

The Spectrum in Philadelphia, PA
Attendance: 19,304 (Sold out!)
Friday, Wk 1, January 1992

-The Nasty Girls def. Allison Royal & Candice Pardue

-Eddie Gilbert def. Jimmy Snuka

-Jim Powers & Greg Valentine def. Brooklyn Brawler & Barry Horowitz

-Kerry Von Erich def. Irwin R. Schyster

-Ric Flair def. Jim Duggan

-Big Boss Man def. The Berzerker

-The Bushwhackers def. Duane Gill & Barry Hardy

-The Undertaker vs. Roddy Piper ended in a Double Count Out

Boston Garden in Boston, MA
Attendance: 15,000 (Sold out!)
Thursday, Wk 2, January 1992

-Denise Storm def. Sindy Paradise

-Papa Shango def. Jim Powers

-Bam Bam Bigelow def. Brooklyn Brawler

-The Von Erichs vs. The Beverly Bros. ended in a Double Count Out

-The Legion Of Doom def. The Nasty Boys to retain the WWF World Tag Team Titles

-Repo Man def. Chris Walker
Before the match, IRS, who accompanied Repo Man to the ring, cut a rather funny promo where he denounced the fans for the infamous Boston Tea Party, & he said they should pay their fair share of taxes.

-Sid Justice def. Col. Mustafa

-Shawn Michaels, Rick Martel & Ted DiBiase def. Greg Valentine, Jimmy Snuka & Nikolai Volkoff

-The Bushwhackers def. Duane Gill & Barry Hardy

-Ric Flair def. Roddy Piper

Madison Square Garden in New York City, NY
Broadcast on MSG Network
Attendance: 21,000 (Sold out!)
Friday, Wk 2, January 1992

Dark Matches not shown on MSG:
-The Nasty Girls def. Allison Royal & Candice Pardue

-Papa Shango def. Glen Ruth

Main Show:
-Davey Boy Smith def. Irwin R. Schyster
Before the match, IRS cut a promo on New York for not paying their fair share of taxes despite being the biggest city in the USA. The irony is that the babyface of the match was "The British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith. Those of you who know your history know the irony of this.

-Tito Santana & Virgil def. The Orient Express

-The Undertaker def. Nikolai Volkoff

Backstage, Lord Alfred Hayes interviewed Cheryl Rusa, Misty Blue & Rockin' Robin, hyping up how they're ready to compete in the WWF's relaunched women's division.

Sean Mooney interviewed the Legion Of Doom backstage, who hyped up their upcoming WWF World Tag Team Title defense against the Natural Disasters at the Royal Rumble.

Back to Lord Alfred Hayes, who interviewed Mr. Fuji & the Berzerker. They hyped up how the Berzerker would toss out 29 other men to become the new WWF World Heavyweight Champion this Sunday at the Royal Rumble.

-Koko B. Ware def. The Mountie

-Jake Roberts def. Jimmy Snuka

-Roddy Piper def. Skinner

-Sid Justice def. The Berzerker

-Randy Savage & Bret Hart def. Ric Flair & Ted DiBiase

Out of Character: Keep in mind that these "house shows" (ran as Lesser events) took place prior to the WWF Royal Rumble. I wanted to wait until after the Rumble, & after a few TV shows were posted, so as not to spoil certain things. I thought it might be fun to run the WWF a bit like how it was back in '92, even with this being an alternate universe, complete with the WWF testing out some things on house shows & in dark matches.

Edited by Mattywood
  • Like 3

WWF House Show Results from a recent weekend tour of the Great Lakes region in the US

Courtesy of various local newspapers

La Crosse Center in La Crosse, WI
Attendance: 7,500 (Sold out!)
Friday, Wk 3, January 1992

-Peggy Lee Leather def. Debbie Combs

-Rockin' Robin def. Susan Sexton

-Davey Boy Smith, Tito Santana & Virgil def. The Berzerker & Repo Tax
Before the match, IRS cut a promo about the fans in La Crosse, WI needing to pay their fair share of taxes, or else the Repo Man would repossess their fishing & kayaking equipment. Apparently fishing & kayaking are huge in La Crosse.

-Bam Bam Bigelow def. Jimmy Snuka

-Ted DiBiase def. Sgt. Slaughter to retain the WWF Intercontinental Championship

-The Headshrinkers def. The Bushwhackers

-Crush def. Skinner

-Jerry Lawler def. Nikolai Volkoff

-Ric Flair def. Randy Savage to retain the WWF World Heavyweight Championship
After the match, Randy Savage attacked Ric Flair. Mr. Perfect intervened, but the Macho Man was able to overcome the 2-on-1 odds & hit Perfect & Flair's heads together with a double noggin knocker, sending them running away as the crowd & Elizabeth cheered Randy on.

Rosemont Horizon in Rosemont, IL (near Chicago)
Attendance: 18,197 (Sold out!)
Saturday, Wk 3, January 1992

-Shawn Michaels def. Jimmy Snuka

-Sgt. Slaughter & Jim Duggan def. Bob Bradley & Mike Sharpe

-Papa Shango def. Greg Valentine

-The Legion Of Doom def.  The Berzerker & Barbarian to retain the WWF World Tag Team Titles
The Berzerker & Barbarian jumped the L.O.D. before the match started, drawing boos from the fans seeing as that Hawk & Animal have been long time fan favorites for fans in the Chicago area.

-Misty Blue def. Susan Sexton

-"Mean" Gene Okerlund made a rare house show appearance to interview the Von Erichs. They were talking about how great it was to be teaming together again when Mr. Fuji came out to interrupt them. He told them that his Orient Express were superior, & just when the Von Erichs were ready to get their hands on Mr. Fuji, the Orient Express came running in from the crowd & attacked Kerry & Kevin! Mean Gene took a powder to get out of harm's way as Pat Tanaka & Kato beat Kerry & Kevin down. Officials ran out to stop the attack as Mr. Fuji led the Orient Express to the back afterwards.

-The Beverly Bros. def. Chaz Warrington & Glen Ruth
Before the Beverly Bros. came down to the ring, the Genius read a poem that talked up the recent success of the Beverly Bros., & how Hawk & Animal should be renamed the "Legion Of Sissies" because they've been ducking "The Brothers Beverly."

-Wendi Richter def. Allison Royal

-Sid Justice def. Jake Roberts

Peoria Civic Center in Peoria, IL
Attendance: 12,248 (Sold out!)
Sunday, Wk 3, January 1992

-The Von Erichs vs. The Orient Express ended in a Double DQ

-Papa Shango def. Jimmy Snuka

-Rick Martel def. Wellington Wilkins Jr.

-Sensational Sherri & the Nasty Girls def. Debbie Combs, Allison Royal & Sindy Paradise

-Tatanka def. Col. Mustafa

-The Mountie & Natural Disasters def. Nikolai Volkoff, Jim Powers & Chris Walker

-Haku def. Greg Valentine

-Ric Flair & The Undertaker def. Randy Savage & Roddy Piper
Miscommunication led to Randy Savage & Roddy Piper losing the match. They argued with each other after the match, but Elizabeth somehow played peacemaker to keep the two from coming to blows.

Edited by Mattywood
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Theheel said:

Good to see Sherri back in the ring!

I figured it was a good idea to get her back in the ring to help bring up the popularity of some of the women I have signed, at least the ones I want to have plans for creatively. Her main focus will still be managing, but if I want to use her in a match to help generate some extra reaction, why not go for it?

• Like 2