The Alternative [HGC, CV97]

"if Lucha is out of action for a while, this is the right choice" :classic_sad: I hope he recovers soon!

I thought Jack Bruce would be much more important by this time, but he was just a young talented guy by the time it seems.

Unsurprisingly Sam Strong, Rip Chord, Peter Valentine and The Vessey Brothers carried the show.

It's always hilarious how the narrator doesn't sweeten things a bit and criticizes almost every match 😂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2024 at 12:30 PM, newbiezness said:

"if Lucha is out of action for a while, this is the right choice" :classic_sad: I hope he recovers soon!

I thought Jack Bruce would be much more important by this time, but he was just a young talented guy by the time it seems.

Unsurprisingly Sam Strong, Rip Chord, Peter Valentine and The Vessey Brothers carried the show.

It's always hilarious how the narrator doesn't sweeten things a bit and criticizes almost every match 😂

Thanks for the feedback! It's fun finding a balance between critiquing myself and purposely doing bad things in order to progress the narrative. It's up for the reader to decide which is which 😜

Edited by Dalton
  • Like 1

image.png

image.jpeg

BREAKING NEWS - TRIBAL WARRIOR OUT OF HGC

TotalExtremeWrestling has learned that Burning Hammer of the Wrestling Gods has pulled Tribal Warrior from future HGC bookings. This is off the heels of Tribal Warrior's long-time tag team partner Java being hired by HGC and the Savage Fury team reforming. For those unaware, Warrior's contract with HGC was per-date, with BHOTWG having control over his bookings. BHOTWG was unhappy with Java's signing, as he is also signed to Pride Glory Honor Wrestling, the new promotion that is competing with BHOTWG in Japan. From what we have gathered, a deal was brokered where BHOTWG allowed HGC use of Warrior through their last PPV, due to an on-screen storyline with Savage Fury challenging the Vessey Brothers for the HGC World Tag Team titles. It would be a bad look for HGC to debut a new act, reforming a tag team in the process, start a title program and then never mention it again. We don't know the details behind the deal, but it's said that there is no lingering animosity between BHOTWG and HGC. 

Savage Fury lost the title match to the Vesseys at The War To Settle The Score. With Tribal Warrior gone, that leaves Java partner-less. The duo had just linked up with Professor Nero on-screen, but we have no knowledge on if this managerial relationship with continue, or if an audible will be called following this news. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

image.png

image.png

HGC HOLLYWEIRD TV #9
WEDNESDAY WEEK 1, MARCH 1997 - ANAHEIM, CA

After a successful pay-per-view on Sunday, making them two-for-two so far, HGC Hollyweird TV opened with Rip Chord coming to the ring, along with his new faction he dubbed "The Agency" at the PPV. The group consists of Chord, the immobile waste-of-space Peter Valentine, and the Untouchables trio: Joel Bryant, Paul Steadyfast and Robert Oxford. As I stated in my PPV review, giving Chord a crew of bad guys to do his dirty work for him is a great idea. It gives purpose to the Untouchables and more importantly to Peter Valentine. Valentine, as bad as he is, at least looks good being a muscle for a star like Chord. As for the promo itself here, Chord gave his mission statement: to take over HGC and win the World Heavyweight title currently held by Sam Strong. It was a pretty basic promo, but Chord's delivery was excellent and the crowd was hot for it.

1. Golden Fox def. Dark EAGLE - Dark EAGLE remains winless in HGC, which just so happened to be the story here. EAGLE became more and more desperate to pick up the win, but his aggression led to Fox rolling up him for three count. EAGLE was visibly frustrated afterward and stormed to the back. Fox gestured at his waist, likely signaling that he wants a shot at the HGC Cruiserweight title and its new holder, Yosuke Narita. (66)

In a weird backstage segment, Pat Deacon was interviewing HGC tag champs Bryan & Larry Vessey when the Nation of Filth interrupted and challenged them to a tag title match in the main event? Vesseys accepted. Why is this happening?

2. Jack Bruce def. Jason Jackson - Fresh off losing to Dusty Streets for a second PPV in a row, Bruce regained some momentum with a win over resident job guy Jason Jackson. He showed renewed viciousness here, but that's really it. Unexciting. (28)

Emma Chase was backstage with Richie Pangrazzio Jr. She asked him about his actions following his victory over Monty Walker at The War To Settle The Score (he sucker punched Walker after offering a handshake). RPJ, with a flat expression, just walked away. I like this! No BS fake-anger promos, just let the turn sizzle a bit. 

3. BLZ Bubb def. The Danger Kid - A squash, and a bad one at that. Bubb is a highly-touted prospect and we know he can go for a man of his size, but he hasn’t quite put it all together in HGC yet. This is two sloppy matches for him so far. He clearly has all the potential, but needs to click before he can rise. (28)

Jason Azaria & Kyle Rhodes announced a "star-studded six man tag team match" for next week's main event: Sam Strong & The Blazing Flames vs. Flapjack Flanagan & Black Serpent Cult. Despite this match having Flanagan in it, I have a feeling this will be building to the future somehow. It's kind of out of nowhere, so some storyline advancement is likely. But unless Strong is running back a rematch with Flanagan (please no), I'm curious how it leads to Strong's next challenger. As always, I'll reserve judgment. 

4. HGC WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS: The Vessey Brothers © def. The Nation of Filth - I ask again: why? Grunt and Stink stink. They lost in the first round of the tag title tournament, aren't seen in two months then come back and get a title match? I know it goes against wrestling philosophy and how babyfaces act, but the Vesseys should have laughed in their faces when they challenged them. Of course, Vesseys win quickly. BUT, they are then attacked by the returning Demons of Rage. Anger & Spite laid them out and held the titles in the air. The announcers did a good job explaining that the duo had to pull out of the title tournament where they would have faced the Vesseys in the semifinal. With the Vesseys eventually winning it all, the Demons have a valid reason to go after the titles. I like this! Sound booking! (63)

1. Golden Fox def. Dark EAGLE
2. Jack Bruce def. Jason Jackson
3. BLZ Bubb def. The Danger Kid
4. HGC WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS: The Vessey Brothers © def. The Nation of Filth (2nd defense)

• Like 2

image.png

image.png

HGC HOLLYWEIRD TV #10
WEDNESDAY WEEK 1, MARCH 1997 - ANAHEIM, CA

Sam Strong opened the show hyping the main event six-man tag match. Not much to write home about, other than the crowd not quite being as hot on Strong as they were a month ago. This will be an interesting dynamic to track.

1. Monty Walker def. Silver Shark - A good match for what it was. Walker is continuing to get over. (44)

2. Ricky Dale Johnson def Joel Bryant - RDJ takes down a member of The Agency. The rest of the crew was at ringside, and Rip Chord was on commentary. (37)

After RDJ scored the pin, Chord stood up and told the group to rush the ring, but RDJ was able to slip away before any damage could be done to him.

3. BLZ Bubb def. Jason Jackson - Another squash for Bubb. This one was a bit better and put him over as a true monster; something that the previous two were missing. It actually had some heat as well. (42)

Backstage, Emma Chase was with Jack Bruce once again. Bruce was staring at Emma and smiling as she rolled her eyes. She asked him about his win last week over Jason Jackson, but before he could answer, HGC International Champion Liberty came into the picture and walked up into Bruce's face. Bruce looked at the title on Liberty's shoulder, and Liberty simply said "next week." Well, looks like a match was made?

4. Sam Strong & The Blazing Flames def. Flapjack Flanagan & Black Serpent Cult - First off, I just want to point out that the total age in this match is 288, meaning the average age is 48! Old men. Once again, HGC is supposed to be the alternative, yet every man in this main event had a long run in SWF. Anyway, the match was fine. But the crowd isn't nearly as hot on Strong's antics now. He'll need some tweaking if he wishes to continue doing the superhero babyface routine. (75)

The bigger news coming out of the main event was the post-match. Sam Strong stayed in the ring to hot dog to the fans, but as he was looking out to the crowd, BLZ Bubb snuck into the ring and laid him out. He put a foot on Strong's chest and held a fist high to the sky as the show ended. So there's the next title program. I've been complaining about how Bubb hasn’t put it all together yet, but his squash on this show couldn’t have come at a better time. He finally looked like the beast he should be, and now he's being thrown to the fire to feud with the biggest star in the world. Sink or swim.

1. Monty Walker def. Silver Shark
2. Ricky Dale Johnson def. Joel Bryant
3. BLZ Bubb def. Jason Jackson
4 . Sam Strong & The Blazing Flames def. Flapjack Flanagan & Black Serpent Cult

• Like 1