The Alternative [HGC, CV97]

7. HGC WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP BATTLE ROYALE: Rip Chord

In my mind, there's only two options. But I'm going for the minor upset, with the big heel winning the first title.

6. HGC INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP: Romeo Heartthrob vs. Liberty

Unless this feud is continuing, I'm going with Liberty clean.

5. HGC WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS: Black Serpent Cult vs. Vessey Brothers

I like the BSC, but the Vesseys are the team to beat and there are some good options for feuds with them.

4. Jack Bruce vs. Dusty Streets

Streets is a solid member of the upper card and is more important at this stage.

3. HGC CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP: Mr. Lucha © vs. Golden Fox (1st defense)

Fox is a legend, but I'm going with the champion.

2. HGC HARDCORE CHAMPIONSHIP: Monty Walker vs. Charlie Homicide

Evenly matched, but Homicide is a good bet for this promotion.

1. Yosuke Narita vs. The Danger Kid

Solid win for the debutant.

• Like 1

7. HGC WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP BATTLE ROYALE: Rip Chord

Anything can happen. Rip Chord is one of the legends here and one of the safest champions you could pick.

6. HGC INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP: Romeo Heartthrob vs. Liberty

I chose by looking at the pictures in this one really.

5. HGC WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS: Black Serpent Cult vs. Vessey Brothers

I will be happy if Vessey Brothers are the first tag team champions.

Jack Bruce 100%

3. HGC CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP: Mr. Lucha © vs. Golden Fox (1st defense)

Mr. Lucha retains.

2. HGC HARDCORE CHAMPIONSHIP: Monty Walker vs. Charlie Homicide

Well Charlie Homicide is a good name for a hardcore champion.

You did a good job selling Narita in the preview.

• Like 1

I know next to nothing about the old CVerse mods other than the characters that made it to 2005 and beyond, but I'll try my best. Glad I got in early.

7. HGC WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP BATTLE ROYALE: Rip Chord

If you are trying to be an "alternative" promotion, Sam Strong feels like the one who's more of an "alternative" to me, compared to Strong.

6. HGC INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP: Romeo Heartthrob vs. Liberty

I know nothing about how the canon actually went, but thinking about it in hindsight, you probably want the inaugural champions of your belts to be guys who are either a big deal now or will be a big deal in the future. IDK much about Heartthrob, but I know he doesn't exist in TEW2005, so he couldn't have been someone important. I damn sure know who Liberty is.

5. HGC WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS: Black Serpent Cult vs. Vessey Brothers

Vesseys have been all over the TV shows lately, and with Richie not really having a chance in the main event, it would make sense for them to win to keep up the faction's momentum.

4. Jack Bruce vs. Dusty Streets

Same logic as Liberty - I don't know enough about where Dusty is at in his career in 97, but you could always continue this with Dusty chasing the win back if Bruce cheats him out of it. Bruce can benefit from this rub immediately while Streets doesn't seem like he needs it.

3. HGC CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP: Mr. Lucha © vs. Golden Fox (1st defense)

Seems like a standard first title defense - good match against a good challenger, but no real danger of ever losing the belt.

2. HGC HARDCORE CHAMPIONSHIP: Monty Walker vs. Charlie Homicide

No logic other than that Homicide apparently paved the way that Walker walks now? Makes more sense for the innovative vet to get the belt and set the bar for the younger generation to reach eventually.

1. Yosuke Narita vs. The Danger Kid

Start of a build for Mr. Lucha's next major title defense, and probably the first one there's a chance he could lose.

Edited by John Lions
  • Like 1

Love it so far mate! The show length is great and it's an easy follow for me here.

7. HGC WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP BATTLE ROYALE: Sam Strong

6. HGC INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP: Romeo Heartthrob vs. Liberty

5. HGC WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS: Black Serpent Cult vs. Vessey Brothers

4. Jack Bruce vs. Dusty Streets

3. HGC CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP: Mr. Lucha © vs. Golden Fox (1st defense)

2. HGC HARDCORE CHAMPIONSHIP: Monty Walker vs. Charlie Homicide

• Like 1

HGC WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP BATTLE ROYALE: Rip Chord

I'm not sure who is a better choice for first champ, Chord or Strong. I guess it depends who you see to have more interesting challengers, I'll go with Chord though

6. HGC INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP: Romeo Heartthrob vs. Liberty

I'll take Liberty, Heartthrob is a good worker though and should be a big part of the roster too

5. HGC WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS: Black Serpent Cult vs. Vessey Brothers

Vessey's. They rule the roost before you can establish other good teams

4. Jack Bruce vs. Dusty Streets

I'll give it to Streets, though if you wanted to give Bruce a huge win early, I could understand

3. HGC CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP: Mr. Lucha © vs. Golden Fox (1st defense)

Lucha is the cruiserweight division

2. HGC HARDCORE CHAMPIONSHIP: Monty Walker vs. Charlie Homicide

I'm a big Charlie Homicide fan so I'll go with him but I'd be putting Homicide in the world title picture

Narita is pretty good in 97

• Like 1

image.png

image.jpeg

YOSUKE NARITA SIGNS HGC CONTRACT, TO DEBUT AT MALICE IN WONDERLAND

Hollyweird Grappling Company has announced the signing of Yosuke Narita. Narita, a two-time PWI Wrestler of the Year, is a world-travelled junior heavyweight wrestler who has worked for the biggest companies in Japan and Mexico, earning the respect of fans everywhere he has been. 

Narita spent his early years in his native Japan, working for Burning Hammer of the Wrestling Gods. It was there he formed a tag team with Yoshinaka Toshusai called Elite Guard, and the duo would win the BHOTWG World Tag Team Championships in October 1991. His most prominent role in BHOTWG was a feud with junior legend Optimus. With Optimus at the top of the food chain in junior wrestling, Narita was always at his heels. The two squared off in singles competition on a number of occasions, but Narita was never able to win the BHOTWG Junior Heavyweight title. Every win scored by Narita in their feud came in non-title or tournament action. Distraught with never being able to win the big one, Narita left Japan in November 1994, heading to Mexico to work for Mexico Premier Wrestling Federation. He saw major success there, becoming a three-time tag champion and a one-time trios champion. He also spent some time in Europe, becoming a one-time EWCW World Class Champion for European World Class Wrestling.

Heading to the United States for his first extended stint, it is without question that Yosuke Narita will wow crowds, and will certainly be aiming for Mr. Lucha and the HGC Cruiserweight Championship sooner rather than later. His first match will be on HGC pay-per-view at Malice In Wonderland against The Danger Kid. Based on this, it is evident that HGC brass sees bright things in Narita's future.

Edited by Dalton
  • Like 3

7. HGC WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP BATTLE ROYALE:
SAM STRONG
6. HGC INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP: Romeo Heartthrob vs. Liberty
5. HGC WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS: Black Serpent Cult vs. Vessey Brothers
3. HGC CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP: Mr. Lucha © vs. Golden Fox (1st defense)
2. HGC HARDCORE CHAMPIONSHIP: Monty Walker vs. Charlie Homicide

• Like 1

image.png

image.png

HGC MALICE IN WONDERLAND
SUNDAY WEEK 1, JANUARY 1997 - LOS ANGELES, CA

HGC's first pay-per-view was a massive success, with a hot crowd adding to a loaded show. 

Yosuke Narita scored a win in his debut over The Danger Kid, and showed the crowd that he is truly one of the best in the world.

Charlie Homicide became the first ever HGC Hardcore Champion by winning a wild no-rules match over Monty Walker, with the finish coming after Homicide smacked Walker with a chair across the forehead, and then hit a piledriver on the same chair.

Mr. Lucha scored his first defense of the HGC Cruiserweight title with a win over Golden Fox that lived up to the dream match billing. The crowd is quickly getting behind the cruiserweight athletes in HGC.

Jack Bruce nearly upset Dusty Streets, but in the end, Dusty was able to hit Jack with a Dust-Off to score the pinfall. Bruce was unhappy after the match, and then claimed he would throw him out of the battle royale in the main event.

The Vessey Brothers became the first HGC World Tag Team Champions with a win over the Black Serpent Cult. Bryan Vessey, the man many view as the future of HGC, pinned Viper after a Vessey Driver.

Romeo Heartthrob, the self-proclaimed sexiest man in HGC, became the HGC International Champion after grabbing the tights of the young Texan Liberty. The crowd was angry at the win and threw trash at Romeo as he celebrated with the title.

In the crazy main event battle royale, Sam Strong came out on top to become the first HGC World Heavyweight Champion. Strong last threw out his rival Rip Chord to win, with the other two final four being Richie Pangrazzio Jr. and Jack Bruce. Dusty Streets and Jack Bruce went at it in the ring, and Dusty nearly had Jack thrown out, but RPJ snuck up from behind and threw both of them out. Dusty was pissed, but while he was jawjacking with RPJ, Jack attacked him and the two brawled around ringside. Elsewhere in the match, BLZ Bubb dominated, earning most of the early eliminations.

1. Yosuke Narita defeated The Danger Kid in 10:04 by pinfall with a Thunder Shock. (56)
2. HGC HARDCORE CHAMPIONSHIP: Charlie Homicide def. Monty Walker (NEW CHAMPION) (67)
3. HGC CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP: Mr. Lucha © def. Golden Fox (70) (1st defense)
4. Dusty Streets defeated Jack Bruce in 11:50 by pinfall with The Dust-Off.
5. HGC WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS: The Vessey Brothers defeated Black Serpent Cult in 16:05 when Bryan Vessey pinned Viper with a Vessey Driver. (68)
6. HGC INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP: Romeo Heartthrob defeated Liberty in 14:57 by submission with a Cupid's Clutch after blatantly cheating. (59)
7. HGC WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP: Sam Strong won in 15:26. The other members of the 'final four' were Rip Chord, Richie Pangrazzio Jr. and Jack Bruce, with Rip Chord being the final elimination. BLZ Bubb got the most eliminations over the course of the match. (68)

• Like 5

image.png

image.png

HGC HOLLYWEIRD TV #5
WEDNESDAY WEEK 1, FEBRUARY 1997 - BAKERSFIELD, CA

After an iffy first month ending with a pretty good debut PPV with Malice in Wonderland, HGC returned to TV with episode five of Hollyweird TV. 

HGC World Heavyweight Champion Sam Strong opened the show. After doing his crowd work routine, he talked about defying the odds and throwing Rip Chord over the top rope to become the first ever champion. After more self-aggrandizing, he was attacked from behind by a huge man, who turned out to be another former SWF star from the 80s: Flapjack Flanagan. Flapjack hit Strong with a Flapjack, and then held the title high in the air. HGC is supposed to be an alternative to the SWF, with new and underrated stars getting showcased on national television. So why are we running back a feud from eight years ago? Baffling decision here, and with the power that Strong has backstage, we will likely be seeing more of this.

1. Yosuke Narita def. Dark EAGLE - The opener was a good one. The cruiserweight division continues to be the hottest thing in the company while the top of the card is full of yesteryear's names. Narita, the best wrestler in the world in my book, notches his second win. It's only a matter of time before he goes after Mr. Lucha and the HGC Cruiserweight title. Those two had a great tag feud in MPWF with Mr. Lucha & Luis Montero taking the Campeon de Parejas titles from Narita & Domino. Those matches are stuff of legend; the ones that every tape trader is pining to find. As far as I know, they have never met in a singles match, so that is one I am hoping HGC puts together. (72)

Backstage with Emma Chase, Rip Chord, still angry with coming so close to winning the HGC World title at the PPV. He said he was told he'd be facing Ricky Dale Johnson in the main event tonight. Chord tells Emma that he sees a ton of potential in RDJ, and he would love to take him under his wing.

After a commercial break, Professor Nero made his HGC debut to a fairly big reaction. He came to the ring and, after the crowd died down, said he is here to manage the most fearsome tag team on the planet. He then introduced Savage Fury: Java & Tribal Warrior. 

2. Savage Fury def. Jason Jackson & The Danger Kid - Professor Nero's new clients took care of business quickly. Nothing much to note, other than Java and Tribal Warrior did look good here. (39)

There was a pretape promo from Demon Anger. He said that despite his partner being on the shelf, their mission to destroy everyone is not on the shelf. He challenged the "pretty boy" Liberty to a match next week, and promised a reckoning falling upon him.

3. Rip Chord def. Ricky Dale Johnson - Despite all my criticisms with HGC's decisions to put the old guys on top, one thing I will never criticize is Rip Chord's in-ring work. The man is just magic even at forty-seven. Here he is with a man twenty years younger than him, and making him look like a star, not that RDJ needs any help with that. The finish came when Chord pulled the referee towards him while RDJ was on the other side of the ring. Suddenly, Peter Valentine (ugh) slid into the ring and decked RDJ with brass knuckles. Chord then just pinned RDJ for the win, much to the confusion of the referee and the chagrin of the crowd.  (70)

After the match, Chord and Valentine stood tall over a bloodied Ricky Dale Johnson.

1. Yosuke Narita defeated Dark EAGLE in 14:47 by pinfall with a Thunder Shock.
2. Savage Fury defeated Jason Jackson and The Danger Kid in 7:09 when Java pinned Jason Jackson with a Greetings From The Island.
3. Rip Chord defeated Ricky Dale Johnson in 16:14 by pinfall after Peter Valentine interfered, striking RDJ with brass knuckles while Chord distracted the referee.

• Like 4

image.png

image.png

HGC HOLLYWEIRD TV #6
WEDNESDAY WEEK 2, FEBRUARY 1997 - OAKLAND, CA

An episode of Hollyweird TV that shows how shallow the HGC roster is. Not to mention, yet another three matches with predictable finishes. HGC continues to struggle to find its identity, and with no cruiserweight matches this week, it felt like a bad knockoff of Supreme TV. 

1. Ricky Dale Johnson def. Danny Rushmore - RDJ scores a win in a terrible opener. The crowd is very slowly getting behind RDJ but not enough to salvage whatever this was. He has charisma in spades, and is a good wrestler, but Rushmore isn't the right opponent for him right now. After the match, Rip Chord came out onto the ramp and cut a promo on RDJ. Chord said that RDJ is an example of a young punk in HGC who thinks he can hang with the big boys. RDJ was then attacked from behind by Peter Valentine. Great. More of this guy. Chord and Valentine stood tall over RDJ for a second week in a row. (36)

Emma Chase stood in the interview area backstage with Jack Bruce. Emma said that she would interview Jack, but only on the condition that Jack would keep it professional. Jack called Dusty Streets a never-was, again, and called himself not the future, but the now, again. He then looked at Emma and was about to say something, but Emma walked away. More of the same from Bruce, although the dynamic between him and Emma in these promos is fun.

2. Flapjack Flanagan def. The Danger Kid - A necessary showcase for Flanagan here, assuming he will be facing Sam Strong at the next pay-per-view. I've written about my dislike for this direction for the world title, but what can you expect from Sam Strong? Speaking of, no Strong on this show. Those huge bonuses he gets for each appearance will likely mean we may not see him weekly going forward, either. It was important to establish him as the face of HGC for the first few weeks, but now it's money-saving time. Even billionaires have limits. (43)

Coach P and Richie Pangrazzio Jr. were backstage with Pat Deacon. The duo talked about HGC being the big break for Richie that he was never quite afforded before, so he will be making the most of it and won't let it slip by. RPJ says he has world title aspirations (not with Sam Strong holding it, you don't).

We cut right to a pre-tape of Romeo Hearttrob (lot of promos today), in which he celebrates becoming the first-ever HGC International Champion at Malice in Wonderland. Sexiest man in Hollywood, sexiest champion in wrestling, etc.

3. Liberty def. Demon Anger - This match was set up last week with Anger challenges Liberty. Liberty came out on top in just over fifteen minutes in a decent little match. I like the usage of Demon Anger here, with his partner Demon Spite out for a bit with that eye injury, keeping Anger on TV in spots like this is smart. After the bell, Liberty called out Romeo Heartthrob, calling him a coward for resorting to cheating to become an inaugural champion. If you remember, Romeo grabbed the tights after a low-blow to score the win and the title. Where's the honor in that, Liberty asked. He wants a rematch against Romeo at the next PPV, The War to Settle the Score. (60)

All in all, a bad episode. It lacked everything that makes HGC different. I'll give credit to the continuing Jack Bruce/Emma Chase stuff, although I hope they don't drive that into the ground, and the push of Liberty. I was worried that Liberty was being left out to dry after he lost in the International title match at Malice, but a main event win and a likely rematch for the title will keep him on TV and in front of fans. Let's hope he takes the title from Romeo, who I have no desire to see in HGC.

1. Ricky Dale Johnson defeated Danny Rushmore in 7:56 by pinfall with a Southern Justice.
2. Flapjack Flanagan defeated The Danger Kid in 5:15 by pinfall with a Flapjack.
3. Liberty defeated Demon Anger in 15:09 by pinfall with a Liberation Slam.

Edited by Dalton
  • Like 4

image.png

image.png

HGC HOLLYWEIRD TV #7
WEDNESDAY WEEK 3, FEBRUARY 1997 - TUCSON, AZ

A solid main event marred by an injury capped off another middling episode of Hollyweird TV. 

1. HGC HARDCORE CHAMPIONSHIP: Charlie Homicide © def. Shawn Gonzalez - Hey, remember the Hardcore title? A strange booking decision to have this unannounced title match with an unsigned talent kick off the show. That being said, Shawn Gonzalez (a DAVE regular over in New York) put up a good effort and was actually able to get the crowd behind him, despite most of them having no clue who he was. He did appear to injure his wrist towards the finish after a botched bodyslam by Homicide (go figure). They went home shortly after, with Homicide putting him through a table and pinning him. (55)

A pre-tape promo from Dusty Streets aired, with the veteran talking about Jack Bruce. He said he already beat Jack once, and if needs to do it again, he will. Streets did make sure to put over Jack's talent, so luckily this wasn't another old guy burying the next generation.

Emma Chase interviewed Ricky Dale Johnson, who said that two weeks in a row, he was left lying by Rip Chord and Peter Valentine. RDJ claimed that he is not afraid of Chord and definitely not afraid of Valentine. He's carving his own path, and if it goes right through a legend like Chord and an oaf like Valentine, then so be it. Good stuff from the Modern Day Cowboy here.

2. Flapjack Flanagan def. Jason Jackson - Another squash here to put over Flanagan as a real threat towards Sam Strong and the HGC World title. It appeared to be a repeat of last week but with a new jobber, but then Sam Strong made his return by hitting the ring and running after his foe. After a short brawl, Flanagan fled the ring, allowing Strong to showboat to the fans and hold up his title. (51)

Pat Deacon was with HGC International Champion Romeo Heartthrob. After expressing his dismay for having Deacon as an interviewer and not Emma Chase, Romeo accepted the challenge from Liberty, with the added stipulation that Liberty will not be able to challenge for the title ever again if he loses. Well, I do prefer this over just running back a rematch, although it does kind of give away the winner (unless Liberty is already a world title contender).

From Pat Deacon to Emma Chase, as she was joined by the All Star Team (Vesseys, RPJ & Coach P). Before Emma could even ask a question, Professor Nero appeared and challenged the Vesseys to a tag title match at The War to Settle the Score against his clients: Savage Fury. Coach P accepted on their behalf, and reiterated that his boys are the best tag team in the world.

3. Yosuke Narita & Ramon Paez def. Mucha Lucha (Mr. Lucha/Electrico) - Having the cruiserweights main event Hollyweird TV tells me that the higher ups are well aware of what appeals to the HGC audience. Unfortunately, in their biggest spot yet, an injury caused the match to fall apart. Ramon Paez dropped Mr. Lucha right on the top of his damn head on a Fisherman's Buster, and Lucha came up favoring his upper back. After a moment of indecision, Electrico tagged himself in by tapping Mr. Lucha on the shoulder (despite not really being near the right corner, but a necessary rule break here), and they went right into a finishing sequence. Paez tagged out to Narita, who pinned Electrico with a Thunder Shock moments later. I'm not sure if this was the planned result, but putting over Narita here is good for me, since he is far and away the best wrestler in the division and maybe the whole company. (59)

Well, if the main event went more as planned, I probably would have liked this episode a lot more. Some decent build to the next PPV. 

1. HGC HARDCORE CHAMPIONSHIP: Charlie Homicide defeated Shawn Gonzalez in 10:09 by pinfall with a Murder One. (1st defense)
2. Flapjack Flanagan defeated Jason Jackson in 7:44 by pinfall with a Flapjack.
3. Yosuke Narita and Ramon Paez defeated Mucha Lucha (Mr. Lucha & Electrico) in 14:47 when Yosuke Narita pinned Eléctrico with a Thunder Shock.

• Like 3

Mucha Lucha is a great name for Mr. Lucha & Eléctrico. Please tell me there will be a rematch, it was such a turn off to see them losing. I know Narita is going to be a big name but Lucha and Eléctrico together are fire. I'd love if Narita challenges Mr. Lucha, the champions retains and then, before a rematch, there is another 2vs2 where Mucha Lucha beat the shit of them haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newbiezness said:

Mucha Lucha is a great name for Mr. Lucha & Eléctrico. Please tell me there will be a rematch, it was such a turn off to see them losing. I know Narita is going to be a big name but Lucha and Eléctrico together are fire. I'd love if Narita challenges Mr. Lucha, the champions retains and then, before a rematch, there is another 2vs2 where Mucha Lucha beat the shit of them haha

It's also the name of a cartoon from the early 2000s that aired on kids wb and cartoon network.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

image.png

image.png

HGC HOLLYWEIRD TV #8
WEDNESDAY WEEK 4, FEBRUARY 1997 - LONG BEACH, CA

A better show than previous weeks. One that made me slightly more hyped for the pay-per-view on Sunday.

1. Yosuke Narita def. Electrico - Narita is now 3-0 in HGC and clearly has backing from the office. During the match, Kyle Rhodes and Jason Azaria mentioned that we will see Narita vs. Mr. Lucha for the HGC Cruiserweight title at the PPV. So, I guess Lucha's injury last week isn't as bad as first thought? I guess we will see, I'm assuming if Narita wins the title, Lucha may be taking some time off. His reign just started at Malice in Wonderland, and the Narita match should be a much bigger deal, so this match announcement is putting those thoughts in my head.

Emma Chase was with Richie Pangrazzio Jr. (sans the rest of the All Star Team). RPJ talked about coming back to wrestling after leaving the industry to be a father, and that he wants his children to see their daddy win the world title. However he was interrupted by Monty Walker, who we haven't seen since his loss to Charlie Homicide at Malice. Walker challenges RPJ to a match at the PPV, claiming that he is looking to prove himself on a national stage and he has immense respect for RPJ, so that is why he is challenging him. RPJ then accepted and shook his hand. A disjointed promo by Walker, but this is good for HGC. Putting guys like Walker, Ricky Dale Johnson, Liberty and others in these sink-or-swim spots with seasoned guys like RPJ is only going to help. They may be awkward or forced at first, but over time they will become more comfortable and become the stars that Stallings and the team sees in them. If they don’t, they’ll cut 'em loose.

2. Whistler def. Peter Valentine by disqualification - I cannot express how little I cared. Valentine is the dirt worst, and Whistler is a boring wrestler with a gimmick from yesteryear. And surprise, not only was there a schmoz finish, but it was also a bad match before that. Valentine was DQ'd for kicking too much ass, as he refused to stop raining down blows on Whistler in the corner. This appeared to be more of an angle than a match, because Rip Chord came out and directed the oaf to attack Whistler after the DQ as well. Before Valentine could do much damage, Ricky Dale Johnson sprinted to the ring with a chair for the save. RDJ helped Whistler to his feet as Chord and Valentine ran back up the ramp. Score one for the good guys.

After a commercial break, Rip Chord and Peter Valentine were backstage with Pat Deacon. He cut a promo on Ricky Dale Johnson, and then challenged him to a tag team match at the PPV: Chord & Valentine vs. RDJ & Whistler. Oof. I'll hold judgment until I see it, but that isn't exactly an inspiring tag team match.

3. Bryan Vessey def. Jimmy Power - Bryan Vessey is a future megastar. I see it, HGC sees it, the fans see it. The tag champ worked from underneath most of this match, which is a bold move considering he is a champion, but it did get the crowd rooting for him and when he scored the pinfall, the crowd erupted. Professor Nero and Savage Fury watched from the ramp, and Nero made sure they stayed back after the bell rang. This match doesn’t appear to be leading to anything with Power, which begs the question of why it main evented, but alas.

Turns out that the real main event was Sam Strong (go figure). The HGC World Champion came to the ring and cut a promo on Flapjack Flanagan. He called out the big guy and said that although their match is this Sunday, he wants a piece of him right now. Flanagan obliged, and the two brawled everywhere. In the end, Flanagan gained the upper hand after absorbing the Strong Arm Tactic with his chest, and then laid out Strong with his own Lariat. He posed above Strong with the HGC World title as the show ended.

I may not like everything on HGC television, and some of the characters are bad, but this was a well-executed episode that built directly to the PPV on Sunday.

1. Yosuke Narita defeated Eléctrico in 14:33 by pinfall with a Thunder Shock. (66)
2. Whistler defeated Peter Valentine in 5:40 by disqualification when Rip Chord ran in and attacked Whistler. (41)
3. Bryan Vessey defeated Jimmy Power in 10:29 by pinfall with a Vessey Driver. (64)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

image.png

HGC THE WAR TO SETTLE THE SCORE PREVIEW - FEBRUARY 1997

Heading into the second ever pay-per-view for HGC, things are looking up. While the week-to-week television has been spotty, mainly due to a very clear distinction between the top few "stars" and the rest of the roster. Sam Strong and Rip Chord are just on a different level of popularity than the likes of Liberty, Ricky Dale Johnson and Jack Bruce, no matter how much I enjoy the latter three's work so far. It seems that the company realizes this as well, and that is why they brought in a washed-up SWF castoff in Flapjack Flanagan to be Strong's PPV challenger. Running back an angle from eight years ago is one of those things that a pro wrestling fan will hate, but the lapsed fan will likely check out because of how successful. However, this argument is the antithesis of what HGC should be. HGC should be focusing on future stars, with guys like Strong and Chord working with the young talent to set them up for success in the next millennium. Sure, that means there will be some short-term sacrifice, but let's be honest, it's not like JK Stallings Jr. is hurting for money and needs to turn a profit in year one. Chord, to his credit, is doing just that; working with guys lower down on the roster. Peter Valentine is really, really bad, but as a meathead muscle seconding Rip Chord? That works for me. Whistler also isn't my cup of tea, but he is clearly the second in his team as well. The star of that duo is Ricky Dale Johnson, and I'll talk more about that matchup in the match preview.

The match card lists the opener as Golden Fox vs. Ramon Paez. This is just a high-flying opener to get the crowd going, which is another thing HGC has been taking advantage of. No other major American company can pull this off. HGC's connections to junior-focused promotions and their own production values lends to matches like this. It may not have a storyline behind it, but who cares? This isn't a match that requires one.

The Monty Walker vs. Richie Pangrazzio Jr. match is interesting for a couple reasons. I've been talking about how the top names in HGC should be building the future, and I do believe RPJ is doing that here, but I also believe he should win. Walker is a great young wrestler at just twenty-five years old, but I think he may get more out of losing here to RPJ than scoring a big upset. If handled with care, Walker could be a top name in five years or so. He lost to Charlie Homicide at the first PPV but was put into a feud with a respected vet right after, so he is clearly someone Stallings and co. have high hopes for. At the same time, RPJ, despite being forty-one years old, feels like someone who never reached his full potential in SWF. In his limited appearances so far, RPJ feels like one of the veterans who has benefited the most from HGC existing. I am very interested to see where he goes, because the clock is ticking.

Rip Chord working with the younger HGC talent is good. Rip Chord working with Peter Valentine is bad. I can't for the life of me watch Peter Valentine and think that it's not a waste of my time. On the other hand, Ricky Dale Johnson is another future star at HGC's disposal, and throwing him into the deep end working with a legend like Chord and a hunk of garbage like Valentine is a great way to see what he can do. Whistler is clearly the tacked on tag partner of RDJ so as to not burn another singles match between Chord and Johnson, but he isn't terrible. He's just not what HGC really should be about, if that makes sense. I expect some good work here mixed with some of the worst in HGC so far. This Chord/RDJ feud has legs, so seeing where it goes from here will be fun to analyze. I expect this feud to be something we look back on in fifteen years as a great launching pad for RDJ.

The fourth is for the HGC Cruiserweight Championship between Mr. Lucha and Yosuke Narita. I've written about this match on the TV reviews heading into this show. We know Mr. Lucha was injured his shoulder a couple weeks ago but it is working through it. This is the biggest match HGC has in the cruiserweight division, so booking it with almost no build makes it seem to me that the title will be coming off of Lucha and onto the uber-talented Narita. Due to the injury, this match has the potential to be anywhere from being an angle more than a match, to being a match of the year contender. 

Next we have a rematch from Malice In Wonderland: Romeo Heartthrob vs. Liberty for the HGC International Championship. Romeo beat Liberty by grabbing the tights to win in the first encounter. A rematch a month later between an aging vet and a young hotshot makes me believe that Liberty will get his win back and even up their record at 1-1, potentially building to a rubber match, but if Liberty wins here, what was the point of putting the title on Romeo in the first place. This is his first match overall since the last PPV, let alone his first title defense. Either way, the last match was pretty good, so I expect them to build on it here and continue the rise of Liberty.

Another rematch is next, this one between Dusty Streets and Jack Bruce. The feud has been pretty good, but having two rematches in a row just two PPVs into HGC's existence is a decision I don't agree with. My logic to Romeo vs. Liberty also applies here, just sans title. Jack Bruce is another future megastar (and the one I believe has the most potential out of the RDJ/Liberty/Bruce trio that I speak of often) but Dusty Streets is still over and trying to embark on a strong singles run in America for the first time. Sam Strong needs a championship program after tonight, with Chord preoccupied with RDJ, and since I strongly believe he will beat Flanagan and I refuse to believe that feud will extend past this show. Unless they risk splitting the audience in a face vs. face match between Strong and Streets, I can see Jack Bruce being thrust into the main event immediately as Strong's first feud against an HGC "homegrown."

The Vessey Brothers have been a highlight of HGC so far. I love everything they've been doing, and I see major success in Bryan's future specifically. They are making their first defense of their tag titles against Savage Fury, Java and Tribal Warrior. The duo was brought by Professor Nero in Nero's debut a couple weeks ago, and won a squash match over Jason Jackson and The Danger Kid. This is a weird booking decision in my opinion, since I don't believe Savage Fury will be losing, but having the monster duo lose their first feud potentially ruins their future. I guess they could win their next feud over a babyface team, but that would lead them right back into another title match. Maybe this discussion is all for naught and they score the win here in a big upset. The Vessey Brothers can handle a loss, and Savage Fury would instantly be a made team if they win here.

And that brings us to the main event. I sincerely hope HGC recognizes what they are doing here and pivot immediately. Throwing Sam Strong against monster-of-the-month heels, especially ones from last decade, is exactly HGC should be avoiding. Leave that philosophy for SWF. Be something different. Be the alternative! This company is a chance for Sam Strong to prove he is more than just the cartoon superhero who defies the odds to beat the hulking behemoths in his path. I'm hoping that this is a one-time "test run" of sorts to see if they bring in any lapsed fans. If this becomes the norm, just like it was for SWF in the 80s, then I am already disappointed in HGC and will again be looking to Japan for good wrestling. 

8. HGC WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP: Sam Strong © vs. Flapjack Flanagan (1st defense)
7. HGC WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS: The Vessey Brothers © vs. Savage Fury (1st defense)
6. Jack Bruce vs. Dusty Streets
5. HGC INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP: Romeo Heartthrob © vs. Liberty
4. HGC CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP: Mr. Lucha © vs. Yosuke Narita (2nd defense)
3. Rip Chord & Peter Valentine vs. Ricky Dale Johnson & Whistler
2. Monty Walker vs. Richie Pangrazzio Jr.
1. Golden Fox vs. Ramon Paez

Edited by Dalton
  • Like 3

8. HGC WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP: Sam Strong © vs. Flapjack Flanagan (1st defense)
7. HGC WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS: The Vessey Brothers © vs. Savage Fury (1st defense)
5. HGC INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP: Romeo Heartthrob © vs. Liberty
4. HGC CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP: Mr. Lucha © vs. Yosuke Narita (2nd defense)

Narita has been hyped since day one but I hope Lucha retains.

• Like 1

8. HGC WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP: Sam Strong © vs. Flapjack Flanagan (1st defense)

Surely there's only one way for this to go. Surely.

7. HGC WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS: The Vessey Brothers © vs. Savage Fury (1st defense)

Maybe a little early for a title change. Savage Fury are a great pair of challengers, and it'll be a strong defence for the champions.

I'm backing the veteran here, but not cleanly.

5. HGC INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP: Romeo Heartthrob © vs. Liberty

Now I'm just guessing.

4. HGC CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP: Mr. Lucha © vs. Yosuke Narita (2nd defense)

Narita is another strong challenger, but I doubt he's here for the long-term. I'm backing Mr Lucha.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

image.png

TCW_WarToSettleTheScore.jpg

HGC THE WAR TO SETTLE THE SCORE
SUNDAY WEEK 4, FEBRUARY 1997 - SAN FRANCISCO, CA

Two HGC pay-per-views in, I think it's safe to say that they deliver. A solid show from top to bottom with no true weak points (outside of, surprisingly, the cruiserweight title match that was designed to just get the title off the injured Mr. Lucha). I've received reports that XFW regular Frankie Future worked a dark match, scoring a win over Jason Jackson. I've yet to confirm if Frankie is signed or not, but getting a win over a signed talent points in that direction. Frankie is extremely talented and has been earmarked for future success by many.

1. Golden Fox def. Ramon Paez - A crowd-pleasing opener, nothing more. Golden Fox is really good, by the way.

2. Richie Pangrazzio Jr. def. Monty Walker - RPJ gets the victory on PPV over a young hotshot in Walker. A good decision; Walker isn’t ready and RPJ's story is that he is aiming for the world title so his kids can see their father on top of the world. But after the match, RPJ offered his hand to Walker, but just punched him in the mouth. A swerve out of nowhere. I will reserve judgment until I see where it goes, since this wasn't quite a heel turn, but booking a storyline about a father trying to make his children proud only to do this is a debatable move.

3. Rip Chord & Peter Valentine def. Ricky Dale Johnson & Whistler - A lot going on here. Whenever Chord and RDJ locked up, the match was great. Whenever Valentine or Whistler tagged in, the quality (and the reactions) immediately dipped. The Untouchables (Joel Bryant/Paul Steadyfast/Robert Oxford) came to the ring, leading to Bryant grabbing Whistler's foot on an Irish Whip (while the other two distracted the referee) and Chord hitting a Rip Chord DDT for the victory. After the match, Chord directed traffic and led a beatdown on Whistler and RDJ. He then grabbed a microphone and announced the formation of The Agency: Chord, Valentine, Bryant, Steadyfast, Oxford. I like this a lot; giving Chord a crew of guys to do his dirty work while getting them over is good stuff.

4. HGC CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP: Yosuke Narita def. Mr. Lucha © - I noted on my recap of last week's Hollyweird TV that the structure and result of this match would tell us a lot about Mr. Lucha's injury. Narita had the offense for almost the entire match, and Mr. Lucha did not really take any major bumps. He didn't even take Narita's finisher in the Thunder Shock, but instead his secondary finisher: Lighting Splash (frog splash). Narita is the new champion, and if Lucha is out of action for a while, this is the right choice. Narita can easily carry the division. It's too bad that this match didn’t have a true build, since this was a dream match for a lot of fans, but their inevitable rematch will surely be a big one.

5. HGC INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP: Liberty def. Romeo Heartthrob © - Two title changes in two matches. Due to Romeo being Liberty last month, this match had the stipulation that if Liberty lost, he would never be able to challenge for the International title ever again, so the winner was a bit telegraphed. That being said, a good match with the right winner. A course correction of sorts as well, since Liberty has quickly gotten over to the HGC audiences, and I'm willing to bet that if HGC could run back the last PPV, Liberty would have defeated Romeo there. Nevertheless, a solid match here. Liberty now is a titleholder, and is the clear leader of the next generation of wrestlers honing their craft in HGC.

6. Dusty Streets def. Jack Bruce - For the second pay-per-view in a row, Dusty Streets beats Jack Bruce. I thought Jack would win here, to either set up a rubber match or at least get over the young guy, but nope. Streets wins clean again. The match was also a clear step down from their last's; something just wasn't clicking.

7. HGC WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS: The Vessey Brothers © def. Savage Fury - A really good match that played to the strengths of all parties. Bryan Vessey was the hero in peril here, with Larry getting the hot tag and running roughshod over the big heels. Professor Nero and Coach P also bickered at ringside throughout in some entertaining moments. Bryan got the pin after a Vessey Driver to Java.

8. HGC WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP: Sam Strong © def. Flapjack Flanagan - A match ripped straight from 1989. If I need to find a positive, at least these two are both good at the style. Flanagan beat down Strong for nearly thirteen minutes before Strong staged a comeback and pinned the big man after three Strong Arm Tactics. I understand that Sam Strong is Sam Strong, but this is the same stuff we saw a decade ago in SWF; there is no need to have this stuff here. I'm hoping that it's a temporary thing to get lapsed fans (and SWF fans, for that matter) to tune in to see familiar faces doing familiar things. The roster is talented enough to do something new, so let's get going.

A pretty damn good show. I may have my own reservations with the tired stuff on top, but I understand I may be in the minority. New champions, solid matches, and clear direction for both the vets and the young guns.

0. Frankie Future defeated Jason Jackson in 5:56 by pinfall with a Futureshock.
1. Golden Fox defeated Ramon Paez in 8:17 by pinfall with a Flying Fox. (58)
2. Richie Pangrazzio Jr. defeated Monty Walker in 11:26 by pinfall with a Grand Slam. (60)
3. Rip Chord and Peter Valentine defeated Ricky Dale Johnson and Whistler in 12:14 when Rip Chord pinned Whistler with a Rip Chord DDT following interference from Joel Bryant. (61)
4. HGC CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP: Yosuke Narita defeated Mr. Lucha in 9:33 by pinfall with a Lightning Splash. (57) (NEW CHAMPION!)
5. HGC INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP: Liberty defeated Romeo Heartthrob in 14:35 by pinfall with a Liberation Slam. (59) (NEW CHAMPION!)
6. Dusty Streets defeated Jack Bruce in 18:23 by pinfall with The Dust-Off. (53)
7. HGC WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS: The Vessey Brothers defeated Savage Fury in 14:31 when Bryan Vessey pinned Java with a Vessey Driver. (64) (1st defense)
8. HGC WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP: Sam Strong defeated Flapjack Flanagan in 15:07 by pinfall with a Strong Arm Tactic. (73) (1st defense)

• Like 1