UWF-I: The Wild Frontier [1992]

4PR6TMM.png

After the demise of the Universal Wrestling Federation in 1990, the wrestlers in that group split up and went on their own paths. Some of them followed Akira Maeda to his newly created group RINGS, others like Yoshiaki Fujiwara formed Pro Wrestling Fujiwara-Gumi while the rest were lead by Nobuhiko Takada and Kazuo Yamazaki who formed Union Of Professional Wrestling Force International - The UWF-I was born.

But what is UWF-I? The UWF-I is a shoot-style promotion. Shoot-style is a genre of professional wrestling that involves matches to look as real as possible. The wrestlers use legitimate looking submissions and strikes, similar to what they look like in a real MMA fight. The fights are hard-hitting and are thrilling to watch for fans around the world.

The rules of UWF-I are the key to understand the promotion:

~ Fighters start with 15 points each (tag matches 21). Points would be lost for knockout attempts, being at a disadvantage during a hold, breaking a hold by reaching into the ropes with hand(s) and/or feet.

~ When a fighter throws a suplex with intent to knock his opponent out, a point will be deducted from their opponent. They lose also a point if a fighter commited a foul or using a rope break. Fighters will lose three points when they are knocked down from strikes with a ten count administered.

~ The only way to win a match in UWF-I is by knockout (count of 10), submission or a fighter's points being reduced to 0. The referee and/or a doctor are allowed to end a fight as well due to a stoppage.
  • Like 7

4PR6TMM.png

The UWF-I kicks off the new year with a show at the legendary Korakuen Hall. Under the motto of "Japan Vs. USA" five fights will be a battle between nations: JT Southern, Mark Fleming, Tom Burton, Jim Boss, Gary Albright and former olympian Ken Patera will raise the stars & stripes at Korakuen against the UWF-I roster. Nobuhiko Takada is unable to compete due to a minor injury, however he'll be in attendance to support his countrymates. 

『UWF-I Sekai Gannen』- January 9th, 1992
Korakuen Hall (Tokyo, Japan)

1. Hiromitsu Kanehara vs. Masakazu Maeda
2. Japan vs. USA I: Masahito Kakihara vs. JT Southern
3. Japan vs. USA II: Yuko Miyato vs. Mark Fleming
4. Japan vs. USA III: Yoji Anjo vs. Tom Burton
5. Japan vs. USA IV: Kiyoshi Tamura vs. Jim Boss
6. Japan vs. USA V: Kazuo Yamazaki & Tatsuo Nakano vs. Gary Albright & Ken Patera
  • Like 5

Ken Patera is a really good fit for UWFi when you consider their search for legitimacy brought them various boxers or amateur wrestlers, etc. with little to no pro wrestling experience at least Patera has the wrestling experience and the Olympic background.

Hiromitsu Kanehara vs. Masakazu Maeda
Japan vs. USA I: Masahito Kakihara vs. JT Southern
Japan vs. USA II: Yuko Miyato vs. Mark Fleming
Japan vs. USA III: Yoji Anjo vs. Tom Burton
Japan vs. USA IV: Kiyoshi Tamura vs. Jim Boss
Japan vs. USA V: Kazuo Yamazaki & Tatsuo Nakano vs. Gary Albright & Ken Patera

Edited by siah463
  • Like 1

4PR6TMM.png

The first UWF-I of the year was held in front of a packed Korakuen Hall under the motto of "Japan Vs. USA" - Five bouts between american and japanese combattants were highly anticipated by the fans inside the legendary venue. Althought the show began with yet another outing of two young boys who fought to another time limit draw in the opener.

Since his arrival Gary Albright has been undefeated, has been the most dominant force in the UWF-I and alongside olympian Ken Patera it was no different. Sure Yamazaki knew that targeting Patera, who never worked in the UWF-I before, with strikes could be a big key to victory, but since Albright got into the squared circle and Patera's ring rust was gone, the american team was on the winning street. Albright knocked Nakano out with a german suplex for the win. Afterwards Yamazaki was upset and challenged Albright to a singles match, which the latter accepted. Yamazaki desperately wants to hand Albright his first loss in UWF-I.

With three victories in singles competition, Japan won the "mini tournament" when Kiyoshi Tamura stopped World Championship Wrestling's Jim Boss after nine and a half minutes. The 22-year-old homegrown fighter demanded another american fighter for next month show to go one on one with him.

『UWF-I Sekai Gannen』- January 9th, 1992

1. Hiromitsu Kanehara vs. Masakazu Maeda - Time Limit Draw (15:00)
2. Japan vs. USA I: Masahito Kakihara def. JT Southern (6:39)
3. Japan vs. USA II: Mark Fleming def. Yuko Miyato (7:11)
4. Japan vs. USA III: Yoji Anjo def. Tom Burton (10:24)
5. Japan vs. USA IV: Kiyoshi Tamura def. Jim Boss (9:23)
6. Japan vs. USA V: Gary Albright & Ken Patera def. Kazuo Yamazaki & Tatsuo Nakano (17:41)
  • Like 5

Albright vs Takada (for a title?) is the clear main event program, so building to that through Kazuo Yamazaki makes sense. Good card, good show. Fascinated by Ken Patera because this is WAY past his prime, but I could see him mixing it up in UWFi around this time, if he could get into Japan 😆

• Like 1

4PR6TMM.png

The UWF-I Japan team was successful against Team USA in last months mini tournament, althought Nobuhiko Takada missed the show due to an injury. Also this months Takada will be unable to compete due to the very same injury he received last month in training, the good news is that Takada announced his return for march. 

In January Kiyoshi Tamura as well as Kazuo Yamazaki demanded matches with another american and on Yamazaki's side a singles match against Gary Albright. However the singles match wasn't approved yet but Yamazaki will have his chance to get his hands on Albright in a tag team bout. 

『UWF-I Sekai Gannen II』- February 15th, 1992

1. Hiromitsu Kanehara vs. Masakazu Maeda
2. Tatsuo Nakano vs. JT Southern
3. Yuko Miyato vs. Tom Burton
4. Kiyoshi Tamura & Masahito Kakihara vs. Jim Boss & Ray Lloyd
5. Kazuo Yamazaki & Yoji Anjo vs. Gary Albright & Mark Fleming
  • Like 5

I like how you're holding off a singles match by just saying it hasn't been signed yet. A simple but effective stalling tactic to make fans want the match more. The tag match will be good hype for their impending singles encounter. Seemingly on the same show Takada will return on. March will be a big show!

• Like 1

4PR6TMM.png

The tensions between Kazuo Yamazaki and Gary Albright are as high as ever. Althought Albright tossed his opponents around in the ring, he wasn't able to knock them out on tonight's show. Other than Yamazaki who shook Albright's partner Mark Fleming, who couldn't get on his legs again. The referee called for the bell and declared Yoji Anjo and Kazuo Yamazaki as the winners. A feel good moment for Yamazaki just before the potential singles match with Gary Albright.

Kiyoshi Tamura is on a roll recently. After last months win against Jim Boss, he then moved on to knock out the debuting Ray Lloyd in icecold fashion. Althought Lloyd is much heavier than Tamura, the latter were very fast on his legs and with his takedowns to not give Lloyd any chance to breathe.

『UWF-I Sekai Gannen II』- February 15th, 1992

1. Hiromitsu Kanehara vs. Masakazu Maeda - Time Limit Draw (15:00)
2. Tatsuo Nakano def. JT Southern (5:51)
3. Yuko Miyato def. Tom Burton (7:34)
4. Kiyoshi Tamura & Masahito Kakihara def. Jim Boss & Ray Lloyd via KO (16:41)
5. Kazuo Yamazaki & Yoji Anjo def. Gary Albright & Mark Fleming via TKO (16:57)
  • Like 6