TEW IX Developer's Journal Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Jaysin said:

You don't have to count...it literally tells you their win loss record in the game already 

I didn’t realise this, where do you see it? 

Two things I was thinking about. Not knowing the upgrades to the editor, I think back to my time with the 2020 editor and I think it would be nice that if you are tabbing theough entries on the skills page, it would automatically highlight the numbers so I can just tab and type, as opposed to using the mouse to highlight, or having to shift and arrow to highlight, or having to backspace or delete. It would just save time in the long run. Though if I can edit data as a spreadsheet, I will be in heaven.

The other thing... what was it... darn this memory of mine... I guess I was wondering if we could edit the game areas. Say I wanted to just do a game world set in the Great Lakes. I could edit the countries to be the different states in the region, and then have the regions be smaller areas. When you actually think about the real indy scene, I know Michigan alone, right now, has 20+ promotions that run regularly and 250+ active or semi-active workers.

Extrapolate to include Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin and that number becomes good enough for an entire database. Something that a fool like me would try. I was contemplating if the Geo Tag would be enough to do what I want, but I'm thinking being able to break down overness to the different small regions would be cool.

I dunno, don't mind my ramblings. I get real excited around new TEW releases. Hahahaha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nightshadeex said:

Two things I was thinking about. Not knowing the upgrades to the editor, I think back to my time with the 2020 editor and I think it would be nice that if you are tabbing theough entries on the skills page, it would automatically highlight the numbers so I can just tab and type, as opposed to using the mouse to highlight, or having to shift and arrow to highlight, or having to backspace or delete. It would just save time in the long run. Though if I can edit data as a spreadsheet, I will be in heaven.

The other thing... what was it... darn this memory of mine... I guess I was wondering if we could edit the game areas. Say I wanted to just do a game world set in the Great Lakes. I could edit the countries to be the different states in the region, and then have the regions be smaller areas. When you actually think about the real indy scene, I know Michigan alone, right now, has 20+ promotions that run regularly and 250+ active or semi-active workers.

Extrapolate to include Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin and that number becomes good enough for an entire database. Something that a fool like me would try. I was contemplating if the Geo Tag would be enough to do what I want, but I'm thinking being able to break down overness to the different small regions would be cool.

I dunno, don't mind my ramblings. I get real excited around new TEW releases. Hahahaha

Editing game areas would be really good, especially if there was an option to add as many areas as you'd like. At the very least, I hope the next TEW game adds a few areas as it was nice to get the Indian expansion back in 2020.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDeep5ix said:

Editing game areas would be really good, especially if there was an option to add as many areas as you'd like. At the very least, I hope the next TEW game adds a few areas as it was nice to get the Indian expansion back in 2020.

India overall has brought quite a bit to TEW, there have been a couple great India dynasties in the C-Verse -- particularly Historian's Tiger Rising -- and between Kashmir Singh and The Guru, there's some excitement about the in-game region in the CVerse.

With both WWE and AEW pushing stars for the Hindi language market and a definite fan base in the area, I think India will continue to be a significant wrestling market in the future.  

TNA -- back when they were a major American company in 2011 -- even sent stars over there to market to India directly with the Ring Ka King promotion. So there's some notable recent historical significance for Indian pro Wrestling, more than say you would see in regions traditionally in the game Croatia or Russia. 

I think a lot of the criticism directed towards including India could be diffused by creating a region with both India and the Persian Gulf states. The WWE continues to run a lot of shows in the Persian Gulf and has a lot of history in the region dating back to the Tribute to the Troops shows -- many great stars such as "General Adnan" Adnan-Al Kaisse had ties to this area.

For example, there's a pretty famous story about Andre The Giant having a close call when wrestling General Adnan in Iraq. 

Whatever ends up happening with India, I think there's a good historical and fictional case for including both India and the Gulf States in TEW. 

I'd like India to really expand in TEW IX as well. Honestly I hope the game world has evolved a fair amount. I doubt it'll be anything too crazy considering it is only jumping 2 years but you never know, y'know? Overall if the new features (which are awesome) continue to be must have, it won't matter much in the end.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheDeep5ix said:

That's my biggest hope right now is that the rest of the world is opened up. OWE was running in China as well as Cambodia and there's still MKW in China, PUZZLE in Taiwan, there's SGW and other companies active in Africa, Singapore has a pretty active wrestling scene now as well as other lucha companies in the South American countries. 

• Like 1

Well, Saudi Arabia at the very least is now a mandatory place to have due to their deal with WWE, so who knows if more areas will be added. I'd like that

the choosing order of elimination is nice. would also like to choose order of entry for battle royales. Plus would be nice to not be required to choose all the competitors in a battle royale, especially when doing the Rumble

How do we see the modding scene doing in the new game? Mods were varied and of a high quality in 13 and 16. Unfortunately in 20, there were far fewer modders due to some strange debate, modders rushing out mods in the early days and then never completing them, others releasing mods slower but still not of a high quality, and then the scant few mods that were actually made well (Mammoth's mods, Fleisch's, Idol's for example, though I apologise if I didn't name you). Anyone think the modding scene will be improved in IX or are we likely to see even less quality/activity? I'm not ashamed to say the RW mods are what sell the game for me so it would be a great shame if we were to see a further downturn in the modding for this franchise.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jean-vic said:

How do we see the modding scene doing in the new game? Mods were varied and of a high quality in 13 and 16. Unfortunately in 20, there were far fewer modders due to some strange debate, modders rushing out mods in the early days and then never completing them, others releasing mods slower but still not of a high quality, and then the scant few mods that were actually made well (Mammoth's mods, Fleisch's, Idol's for example, though I apologise if I didn't name you). Anyone think the modding scene will be improved in IX or are we likely to see even less quality/activity? I'm not ashamed to say the RW mods are what sell the game for me so it would be a great shame if we were to see a further downturn in the modding for this franchise.

Many modders didn't make the jump from TEW 2016 to TEW 2020. Some TEW fans didn't like TEW 2020 -- I think many will return when TEW IX is released. 

There were some necessary and understandable arguments involving mod permission and mod credit in the modding community. Those issues were largely resolved a couple years ago without members leaving the site.

With a series that's been going for two decades, some fans are going to lose interest. I'm confident that TEW IX will bring many new people back into the community.

Edited by ColdBloodedSausageMaker
  • Like 4

I've just got a couple of questions. 1 I think might be answered soon in the developers journal but I'll ask anyway.

Has running a child company been improved in terms of customization? I really tried to start an NXT save multiple times but the AI was too frustrating or too stupid to deal with. Can I have a say in the signing of a worker? I'd find WWE would sign someone to NXT who I'd never want to use. Also can a child company ask for a worker to be brought down like how NXT has been with guys like Apollo, Corbin and Dijak recently? That's just a few ideas I've had. I understand you can do this by editing the database or making a new player as WWE booker but it's such a pain when the AI will just veto it after a month of booking.

Also have crowd reactions improved? Can what's happened with the Yes Movement and #WeWantCody actually occur where the crowd wants us to give a specific worker a push up the card or win a title?

I'm anxious about the Broadcasting system. I hope there has been an update on how having your own broadcaster can work. Seeing that WWE has all they archives on peacock and AEW might have all they archives on Max. But TNA, NJPW ROH still doing things the traditional way

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Swaggyp0 said:

I've just got a couple of questions. 1 I think might be answered soon in the developers journal but I'll ask anyway.

Has running a child company been improved in terms of customization? I really tried to start an NXT save multiple times but the AI was too frustrating or too stupid to deal with. Can I have a say in the signing of a worker? I'd find WWE would sign someone to NXT who I'd never want to use. Also can a child company ask for a worker to be brought down like how NXT has been with guys like Apollo, Corbin and Dijak recently? That's just a few ideas I've had. I understand you can do this by editing the database or making a new player as WWE booker but it's such a pain when the AI will just veto it after a month of booking.

Also have crowd reactions improved? Can what's happened with the Yes Movement and #WeWantCody actually occur where the crowd wants us to give a specific worker a push up the card or win a title?

I think that would be pretty realistic for a developmental company. No signings really get approved without WWE main management. I'm sure HBK and Matt Bloom have potential opinions on workers but it's usually WWE's main call I believe. In editor i would just remove NXT off developmental and just keep them as a child company so you can do your own signings 

Edited by harrypotterhead

11 hours ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

So there's some notable recent historical significance for Indian pro Wrestling, more than say you would see in regions traditionally in the game Croatia or Russia. 

Don't know about Croatia, but Russia isn't exactly a wrestling wasteland. Look at these numbers: https://www.youtube.com/@NFRwrestling Those are far better averages than the local promotions in many other European countries get. If anything, I'd argue that Russia should be it's own region, much like Canada is separate from United States. Split it in 3 - 5 regions, give it minor spillover to where Russian is the lingua franca instead of direct borders (so Eastern and Southern more than Central Europe). It kind of is Europe's Canada, just with more language barrier and much less spillover.

I hope Adam puts in the option to defend titles from other promotions in the game. Using AEW for example. They have NJPW Titles defended on their shows. For my old school fans the NWA Champ would defend the belt in different territories. 

9 hours ago, jean-vic said:

I know as it stands I won't be modding on TEW IX (I won't get into the reason). I love the new features in the developer journal and will spend my time playing the game.

Hopefully TEW IX will bring in some new modders and we can see some different real world data/fantasy mods.

Whether I change my mind 6 months down the line like I've done in the past probably depends on how many new mods there are.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

I think the modding scene will be pretty significantly affected by any changes to the editor.

If it made significantly easier, for example, I could see more people being willing to give it a go.

If it actually becomes harder and more complicated, I could see some existing modders decide the time sink isn't worth it to them.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, jean-vic said:

It will all probably depend on how attractive the game is to mod. Are there new tools for modders to make better, more in depth mods in a way that isn't comically time consuming? Is the game actually fun to play at the end of it? Nobody will be able to answer that until the dev journal is over and the game is out really.

Step 1 at the very least is going to be some kind of robust external editing because if people have to convert their mods, sort out all the balancing issues and have stuff like a real calendar plus heights/weights to deal with by manually going through every profile, peace out, it's not happening lol

Edited by Questlove
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sounds positive and exciting!

When TEW2020 came out, a lot of rushed and incomplete mods were released, many by the same person. This had a massive negative impact on the game as a whole as it limited the amount of 'fresh' eras to make mods and put mod makers off. We can only hope we don't have the mad dash this time round.

31 minutes ago, Booker2021 said:

Sounds positive and exciting!

When TEW2020 came out, a lot of rushed and incomplete mods were released, many by the same person. This had a massive negative impact on the game as a whole as it limited the amount of 'fresh' eras to make mods and put mod makers off. We can only hope we don't have the mad dash this time round.

There’s no claim on eras though. If a person made a rushed 2000 mod for example, that played poorly and wasn’t well received - nothing is stopping someone from making a batter mod. I never understood this reasoning. 

• Like 11