Mod Preview, Questions & Resources Thread

17 hours ago, RealHeelBCFlynn said:

Question about changes to a broadcaster.

ive been working on a 97 mod and in the early days TNN is a broadcaster, in early 2000s they change to Spike TV then in 2018 they change to Paramount Network.

ive set it up for TNN to change to spike tv. Is there a way to do the next change from spike tv to paramount network?

im Guessing not. Tnn is goin to turn to spike tv but spike tv isn’t an active broadcaster so I can’t set it up to change to paramount and I’m guessing I can’t set up tnn to change to paramount because it’s set up to change to spike tv so it won’t be active to change to paramount.

Are you using broadcaster changes or narratives? Either will work (although I prefer broadcaster changes); just set the new name to Paramount on the relevant date. 

EDIT: Here's an example of the broadcaster changes for what starts life as Superstation WTBS from my 1986 mod:

image.png

It doesn't matter what the changes are beforehand because the broadcaster record is assigned. By the time the below change fires the broadcaster has changed to SuperStation TBS in 1987 and TBS SuperStation in 1989.

image.png

On 8/18/2024 at 3:14 PM, jhd1 said:

Are you using broadcaster changes or narratives? Either will work (although I prefer broadcaster changes); just set the new name to Paramount on the relevant date. 

EDIT: Here's an example of the broadcaster changes for what starts life as Superstation WTBS from my 1986 mod:

image.png

It doesn't matter what the changes are beforehand because the broadcaster record is assigned. By the time the below change fires the broadcaster has changed to SuperStation TBS in 1987 and TBS SuperStation in 1989.

image.png

awesome thank you very much. This is more than helpful!

21 hours ago, arlovski said:

In real life, who would you guys consider eligible for the attribute 'Talent Spotter' and why? Not necessarily asking for present day, but also people historically where the attribute would fit.

Gerald Brisco, Pat Patterson, William Regal these people are responsible for wrestlers like Bret Hart, Shawn Micheals, Kurt Angle etc.

Just a few to start

Edited by RealHeelBCFlynn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RealHeelBCFlynn said:

Gerald Brisco, Pat Patterson, William Regal these people are responsible for wrestlers like Bret Hart, Shawn Micheals, Kurt Angle etc.

Just a few to start

Admittedly it didn't really take much to spot Angle - It's not like the Olympics are obscure.

21 hours ago, arlovski said:

In real life, who would you guys consider eligible for the attribute 'Talent Spotter' and why? Not necessarily asking for present day, but also people historically where the attribute would fit.

Mark Henry would be a good one for this as I've seen him linked to a few people getting a shot in WWE

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jason Phoenix said:

Isn't the Talent Spotter attribute for people that offer to put people over in matches without encouragement, or has this changed in IX?

This. It's not for people who are good at scouting talent, it's for people who will offer to put over young talent to get them over. Kurt Angle is a possibility, he tried to put people including Amazing Red over in TNA. Terry Funk as well perhaps?

By definition it's only really going to kick in once a worker is past their prime so it's really for anyone who proactively tried to put over new talent rather than keep their spot. Which is, perhaps unsurprisingly, not the deepest pool in the world!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jhd1 said:

This. It's not for people who are good at scouting talent, it's for people who will offer to put over young talent to get them over. Kurt Angle is a possibility, he tried to put people including Amazing Red over in TNA. Terry Funk as well perhaps?

By definition it's only really going to kick in once a worker is past their prime so it's really for anyone who proactively tried to put over new talent rather than keep their spot. Which is, perhaps unsurprisingly, not the deepest pool in the world!

Kurt Angle?  Do we live in the same universe?  In the universe I am from Kurt Angle loved to randomly shoot on young talent for fun.

Actually yeah we do - it's just that for 90% of his career he was the selfish jerk I just described (the night with Nawrocki & Puder is the most obvious example) whilst right near the end the version you described did come into play.  

Honestly the way the industry was from the early 80's till when the really heavy use of drugs went away pretty much coincides with the era of people not really putting people over the way they did prior and seem to be doing again now.  I think we all know the way locker rooms act now is a quantum leap forward from what they were like in Angles era and thats largely down to people not doing so many substances.  I dont think it would be easy to put the Talent Spotter label on anyone from Angles era - it just was a selfish era where people had felt they had to sort of fight and step on people a lot more.

Pretty much the only one that came to my mind right away was Randy Savage. At least I read / heard some stories (especially one with DDP), where he proactively offered to put a younger wrestler over.

5 hours ago, jhd1 said:

Terry Funk as well perhaps?

Good call! I guess in ECW he must have fit the attribute quite well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, arlovski said:

Pretty much the only one that came to my mind right away was Randy Savage. At least I read / heard some stories (especially one with DDP), where he proactively offered to put a younger wrestler over.

Good call! I guess in ECW he must have fit the attribute quite well.

Funk is sort of the exception to the rule in regards to my statements about the substance abuse and selfishness of the era - Funk even at his worst in terms of addictions was always a consummate professional in regards to the way he respected the business and other workers.  He was almost totally without selfishness in regards to doing the job.  One of the reasons he strugled to be in the two big companies in the US of that era is by nature he wasn't a guy who wanted to step on people to get to the top of a card - he always seemed to feel that a persons talent should determine where they should be on the card and he knew how talented he was.  

• Like 1

Question regarding the attribute 'Stuntman' in relation to the other stunt-based attributes. In the description it says: "The worker is always willing to take stunt bumps but draws the line at riskier crazy bumps."

What are real world examples of a stunt bump and a riskier crazy bump? Would Jeff Hardy doing a Senton Bomb from a high ladder be the former and Mick Foley falling down the Cell be the latter? 

Also in terms of riskiness and crazyness, is this order of attributes correct (meaning it gets riskier from left to right)? No Stunts < Stuntman < Risk Taker < Fearless < Daredevil

Edited by arlovski

48 minutes ago, arlovski said:

Question regarding the attribute 'Stuntman' in relation to the other stunt-based attributes. In the description it says: "The worker is always willing to take stunt bumps but draws the line at riskier crazy bumps."

What are real world examples of a stunt bump and a riskier crazy bump? Would Jeff Hardy doing a Senton Bomb from a high ladder be the former and Mick Foley falling down the Cell be the latter? 

Also in terms of riskiness and crazyness, is this order of attributes correct (meaning it gets riskier from left to right)? No Stunts < Stuntman < Risk Taker < Fearless < Daredevil

I always think of Shane McMahon as the quintessential Stuntman in TEW terms; typically willing to jump from high places, but there's always a big crash pad or other safety measures. Most of Jeff Hardy's ladder bumps would be crazy bumps to me (only tables and bodies to break his fall, at most), whereas the Swantons off the titantron or the production truck would be stunt bumps due to the relatively safe landings with crash pads and camera tricks.

And yes, I think you're right about the order of attributes.

• Like 2

So I’m working on eras and I’ve come to the Covid/no fans era. I’m tinkering with setting and playing with attendance levels and such. 

im curious if anyone else has been able to mimic the Covid era and maybe give me some ideas how you handled incorporating it into RW mods.

6 hours ago, RealHeelBCFlynn said:

So I’m working on eras and I’ve come to the Covid/no fans era. I’m tinkering with setting and playing with attendance levels and such. 

im curious if anyone else has been able to mimic the Covid era and maybe give me some ideas how you handled incorporating it into RW mods.

This doesn't answer your question, but do people *want* to mimic the COVID era? 

9 hours ago, Dalton said:

This doesn't answer your question, but do people *want* to mimic the COVID era? 

I mean, this is an era that happened. If a historical RW mod was made with out it it wouldnt be a “real” RW mod would it? At least in my opinion. This also gives a chance for those those who were couch quarterbacks to try and do better then the real world did at that time. Part of the Appel of a RW mod to be is not only to succeed but to go through the ups and down of the RW and rewrite history.

Edited by RealHeelBCFlynn
  • Like 3

On 8/25/2024 at 9:53 AM, RealHeelBCFlynn said:

I don't have an answer for you either but for whatever it's worth, I've also been trying to figure out how to do it, or if it's even feasible in TEW. I figured if it can be done through eras, then it should be pretty easy to just delete the era for anyone who doesn't want to go down that road. But maybe I'm underestimating the process...

Either way, please keep us posted if you find any workable solutions.

So i was using ChatGPT to create wrestling bios. 

I use the prompt: Write a profile bio as of 1989 for The UnderTaker in one paragraph:

It generates: As of 1989, The Undertaker, then known as "Mean" Mark Callous, was a rising star in the world of professional wrestling. Competing in World Championship Wrestling (WCW), he was recognized for his imposing 6'10" frame, cold demeanor, and powerful in-ring style. As part of the tag team "The Skyscrapers" alongside Sid Vicious, "Mean" Mark made a strong impression with his dominating presence and devastating moves like the heart punch. Although still early in his career, his eerie persona and undeniable potential hinted at a future that would soon see him become one of the most iconic figures in professional wrestling history.

Now i do it for 2010. It generates: As of 2010, The Undertaker was firmly established as one of the most legendary and enduring figures in professional wrestling. Debuting in the WWE in 1990, The Undertaker had built an unparalleled legacy with his dark, supernatural persona, characterized by his ominous entrance, the iconic "Tombstone Piledriver," and his streak of consecutive victories at WrestleMania, which by 2010 stood at an astonishing 18-0. Known as "The Phenom," he was revered not only for his in-ring ability but also for his ability to evolve his character while maintaining an aura of mystery and fear. In 2010, The Undertaker continued to be a dominant force, captivating audiences and solidifying his place as one of the greatest and most respected performers in WWE history.

This sounds like an awesome tool to use for historic mods for bios. Now the question, does it do it for unknown wrestlers. Let's see.

Reckless Youth:

As of 2000, Reckless Youth, widely regarded as one of the pioneers of the independent wrestling scene, was known for his innovative in-ring style and technical prowess. Having made a name for himself throughout the 1990s, Reckless Youth, whose real name is Tom Carter, became a standout performer in various independent promotions across the United States, including ECWA, CZW, and Chikara. His blend of high-flying maneuvers, technical skill, and charisma earned him the moniker "The King of the Indies." By 2000, he had become a trailblazer for the independent circuit, influencing a new generation of wrestlers and laying the groundwork for the vibrant indie wrestling scene that would follow.

Nick Mondo:

As of 2005, Nick Mondo, born Matthew Burns, was celebrated as one of the most iconic and daring figures in the world of hardcore wrestling. Known for his fearless approach and extreme risk-taking, Mondo made his name in Combat Zone Wrestling (CZW), where he became a fan favorite for his willingness to push the limits of physical endurance and pain. His career was marked by brutal matches that featured barbed wire, light tubes, and other dangerous weapons, with his 2003 "Tournament of Death" victory standing as a defining moment. Despite retiring in 2003 due to the toll on his body, by 2005, Mondo's legacy as a hardcore legend was firmly established, and he remained a respected figure in the underground wrestling community, influencing many who followed in his footsteps.

Edited by ZonaCidal

Just in case anyone else finds this helpful, I put together a cheat sheet for workers' Skills and Popularity values, based on descriptions from the in-game Creative tab. Basically, I looked through the Creative in companies of every size, to get a sense of how the 0-100 scale is calibrated internally and described to the player. I find it to be a helpful framework, so that I'm not just winging it with numbers.

This is what I found:

Skills:
90s = exceptional
80s = extremely impressive
70s = impressive
60s = very good
50s = good
40s = pretty good
30s = decent

Popularity: 
95+ = insanely popular
90s = enormously popular
85-9 = massively over
80s = wildly popular
70s = extremely popular
60s = very popular
50s = popular
40s = relatively popular
30s = barely known
20s = not very well known
10s = not exactly a household name
<10 = almost completely unknown

Specifically, I found it interesting that the thresholds for "good" and "popular" are both so low. Made me completely rethink how I see these stats.

• Like 3

On 8/27/2024 at 7:43 AM, Almaida said:

I don't have an answer for you either but for whatever it's worth, I've also been trying to figure out how to do it, or if it's even feasible in TEW. I figured if it can be done through eras, then it should be pretty easy to just delete the era for anyone who doesn't want to go down that road. But maybe I'm underestimating the process...

Either way, please keep us posted if you find any workable solutions.

For sure will do. It’ll totally be under eras, im sure it’ll be playing with attendance levels, etc. probably won’t be able to mimic the “thunder dome” type situations for WWE, I’ve only started looking at geo tags and know nothing about them yet, but if you were playing as AEW, I’m guessing you’ll just have to manually pick Jacksonville (or any other “residency” location) at the beginning of every show.

ive been mainly concerned with the US when it comes to eras, so I’ll have to go back through, do an overhaul to try and get the rest of the world in order.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Big Roguey said:

I'd be interested in seeing how a world with the attendance setting all the way down given that the crowd rating plays into the overall match rating.

I’ll definitely be testing this out. Funny how art imitates life. Crowd reaction adding to the overall match quality is a real thing for sure. Can make a good match great, and a great match legendary. It also adds to the home viewers experience as it makes ge matches/event feel alive. We can watch any Covid era match and see/feel the difference than any match with a crowd.

Since there has been so many amazing female wrestler mods made I am starting to run into a problem.

What is the best way to import them? Should I import every mod I wanna use into its very own database and import it to my main DB later or Should I import one-by-one?

Also, since the game was just released(crazy that it has been 1 month already), they are still making changes to the wrestlers, some minor some major, what should I do if they release an update?

I only got into TEW at the tail end of 2023 so most mods were "done" by that point.

• Like 1