A Love Letter To Professional Wrestling [MWCW, C'Verse]

St. Louis was the crown jewel of professional wrestling. East Coast Bias and the Eisen Empire convinced the world that New York and the North East. When pro wrestling was a territorial business, the way it was always meant to be, St. Louis was the heart and soul. Before territorial wrestling, when wrestling was in carnivals and barnstormed across the US, St. Louis was a hotbed. The King of Wrestling tournaments that Dale Christian promoted? They happened in St. Louis. American Pro Wrestling? It was based in St. Louis when they needed to move from Omaha. It was the place the NAWA was headquartered.

Then Richard Eisen swallowed everything and everyone forgot that there was wrestling before the SWF. They forgot that wrestling wasn’t meant to be seen national. It was supposed to be local. It was supposed to appeal to local crowds and cater to their specific tastes. It was supposed to build regional stars and be something that could help community causes. Pro Wrestling was woven into the fabric of small-town America and the Eisens and then Allen Packer and his billions destroyed that concept. They took what wrestling was supposed to be and bastardized it into a commercial commodity that took the sport out of it, that forgot that personal issues draw money and blood red turns dollar green and that people want heroes and villains they can believe in. They want someone who feels like part of their community.

Rip Chord understood that. The Stomper Understood that. Cliff Anderson understood that. Puerto Rican Power understands that. So does Sam Keith and Gil Thomas. That’s who I admire. The people who don’t want to destroy the Eisens and Packers of the world. The people who don’t want to become the show you go to once a year when it comes to your town, but the wrestling that becomes a part of your community. The wrestling you reach out to when you need a fundraiser for new uniforms or to raise money for a kid’s hospital bills. The wrestling you can sponsor with your small business. Something that is yours and isn’t just the thing you watch on TV and forget about.

I’ve spent my entire life watching wrestling. I’ve spent the past twenty-some-odd years of my life planning for having my own wrestling promotion. I filled notebooks during school with plans – and not just characters or storylines or any of that – but how to build a promotion that my heroes would be proud of. Something Dale Christian or Robbie Gordon or Walter Crowe would be proud of. A place that Danny Harland could have lent his voice to.

I never thought I would get the chance to do so. My career took me to Seattle and I thought that wrestling would be this thing I admired and longed to be apart of but never quite got to do. I settled into my career and met the love of my life. She had been apart of wrestling. She, like me, grew up loving the sport of wrestling and had lent her voice to the broadcasts of Angel Athletic Association until she was replaced by the boss and that’s the way it goes sometimes. She thought her career in wrestling was over and she was okay with that. She was okay with the work she had done, but would come back for the right opportunity. It took years and moving across the country again and finally. Finally we had the opportunity.

This isn’t about me though. It’s not about my journey or my career. It’s not even about Sue. It’s simple. I love pro wrestling. I love it with every fiber of my being. This is a love letter to pro wrestling. Emphasis on wrestling.

𝒫𝒶𝓉𝓇𝒾𝒸𝓀 𝒮𝒶𝓃𝓉𝒾𝓃𝒾
CEO, Midwest Championship Wrestling

• Like 14

Thoughts from Historian

Hello all! With TEW IX here, I figured I would go ahead and get something up for a diary idea I've been thinking about/planning out for awhile. Originally it was going to be for 2020 but with the announcement of IX, I held off and kept letting it marinate.

The main character of this diary is an original character. There are two original character wrestlers that will be in the diary. Sue Danes has been activated so she can serve as color commentator. I have added or made active several promotions to fill out the COTT (because I like a very active COTT and game world.) It also contains, with permission from @Derek B all of the broadcasters from his '97 CVerse expansion from 2020 as well as my own original broadcast group/broadcasters that attempt to simulate the regional sports network chain (I have Bally's here -- they used to be Fox Sports). It also includes, with permission from @The Blonde Bomber, every venue from his community sourced venue expansion from 2020. Every avatar character has been kept in the game world.

The goal with this project is to write something I like with a style of wrestling I like and maybe try to capture some sort of modern territorial feel. The plan is to have a weekly, regional television shows and then run a tour schedule to simulate a territory running towns. If this doesn't work the way I think it will, I'll pivot from it, but I think it will work. I've also given EILL a women's division and modified the EILL and CILL's schedules to feel more lucha (I left EMLL's schedule alone to feel more comic book-y).

A special thanks to @willr0ck who made the company logo, banner, and belts (and some COTT belts too) that will feature in this project. Hopefully you'll join me on the journey, if not, no harm no foul.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Historian.

• Like 14

iRf5Nef.png

The following is a transcript from PWR Live 12/24/21.

Sluchinski: We’re being joined now by the author of the Pro Wrestling Reporter’s 2021 Book of the Year: North American Wrestling Alliance: The Untold Story of the Alliance That Almost Changed Wrestling, Patrick Santini. Thanks for being on today’s show, Patrick.

Santini: Thanks for having me, Greg. It’s a pleasure to be back on the air.

Sluchinski: You’re one of my favorite guests to have on and talk wrestling history. Congratulations on the award as well. I appreciate you taking time out on Christmas Eve to talk as well.

Santini: I’m happy to do so. Any excuse to talk about wrestling is a good excuse in my book.

Sluchinski: I enjoyed your book on the NAWA. I thought it was a great follow up to your book The Original King of Wrestling: The Dale Christian Story. I’m surprised you found as much as you did on the NAWA, considering it ultimately failed.

Santini: I think sometimes people are more focused on success stories than on good stories. The NAWA is such a fascinating story. It was probably the best chance the territories had to survive Richard Eisen. It was a chance to band together and fight off Eisen buying up TV slots and expanding into all of their areas, but wrestling promoters are a notoriously suspicious group and looking at the NAWA is really looking at what put all the territories out of business.

Sluchinski: It really is a fascinating look at what seemed like a good idea but ultimately failed. Do you think it draws parallels to the Confederation of the Territories of today? It looked so promising in 2011 when Sam Keith announced it, but eleven years later and there are only four promotions left in it. The World Tag Team Titles have been scuttled. 

Santini: That’s an interesting way to look at it. I love the COTT, I’ll admit it. I’m a fan of wrestling companies working together. I’m a big believer that wrestling should be regional. I think the national expansion hurt the sport. Wrestlers need places to go to develop, to get better and also to freshen up. Rosters need to change. People need to move up and move down the card. It’s not rocket science, but it’s far easier when wrestling is regional and guys can go from company to company. 

Sluchinski: That doesn’t really answer the question posed to you.

Santini: I know.

Sluchinski: So I’ll ask again. Do you think it is similar to the COTT being in a tailspin?

Santini: I don’t think the COTT is in a tailspin. 

Sluchinski: 4C is dead. OLLIE is dead. 

Santini: Yeah, they are, and it’s sad, but the COTT is about to get new blood.

Sluchinski: What do you mean?

Santini: Along with my wife, I’m starting a company that’s going to be joining the COTT – and I know I’m not the only one planning on launching a COTT company.

Sluchinski: Wait, wait. What? You’re starting a company?

Santini: I am. Midwestern Championship Wrestling.

Sluchinski: That’s incredible and.. Wait. Did you say you’re not the only one planning on launching a company?

Santini: I did.

Sluchinski: Who else is starting one?

Santini: Well I don’t think it’d be right of me to spill other people’s business.

Sluchinski: Come on. Give us something.

Santini: I just know that several people, including several Hall of Fame level talents, want to get into the promoting game and I know that they’ve been talking with the COTT board to join. Oh, here’s something I can tell you. FCW and PSW are both joining the COTT.

Sluchinski: You’ve got to be kidding me!

Santini: Nope. 2022 is going to be a big, big year.

Sluchinski: Well you heard it here, folks. Patrick Santini and Sue Danes are getting into the promoting business and apparently, 2022 is going to be a big year for independent wrestling and I for one can’t wait to see what that means.

• Like 14

image.jpeg

For immediate release, January 3, 2022

Griffin Sports Mid West, a subsidiary of Griffin Sports Network and Griffin Broadcasting has signed multiple broadcasting deals with wrestling company Midwest Championship Wrestling.

Midwest Championship Wrestling, a subsidiary of the Santini Athletic Club, is a wrestling venture spearheaded by longtime sports writer and historian Patrick Santini of the St. Louis Chronicle and Griffin Sports Mid West anchor Sue Danes. The company promises a return to regional professional wrestling and plans to invest heavily into the St. Louis and larger Missouri and Midwestern wrestling scene.

The broadcasting deal covers three avenues:

The first is the deputy show from Midwest Championship Wrestling, All Midwest Wrestling, which will be held January 9th and emanate from the historic Ryan Hotel in downtown St. Louis.

The second broadcasting deal is for a weekly televised wrestling show, Wrestling at the Ryan, which will also be held at the Ryan Hotel and will air every Thursday evening at 11:00 PM.

The third deal is for a highlight package of MWCW live events, which will also be called All Midwest Wrestling and will feature excellent content from Midwest Championship Wrestling's shows all around the Midwest.

Griffin Sports Mid West is excited to add professional wrestling to our slate of excellent sports content and look forward to what Mr. Santini and Ms. Dane will bring to professional wrestling fans and hope for a long and fruitful partnership with Midwest Championship Wrestling.

• Like 14

image.png

From the desk of Sam Keith, President of the COTT

Hello wrestling fans,

With the dawn of 2022, the Confederation of the Territories is looking forward to its biggest and most successful year since our inception in 2011. Recent years has some some contraction as we've lost OLLIE and 4C. We have added Los Angeles based IPW, but wrestling pundits and fans have been wondering what will be next for us. Along with Cliff Anderson and Larry Vessey, who, along with me, serve as founding members of the COTT and Gil Thomas who is the fourth member of the COTT Board of Directors, we have been hard at work on adding new members.

I can announce today that the COTT is undergoing a major expansion. The following organizations have joined the COTT:

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

With these fourteen additions to the COTT, we are confident that we can provide the best wrestling, entertainment, and overall experience to our fans. In addition to these companies joining, the COTT will be sanctioning the following World Championships:

• COTT World Heavyweight Championship - A minimum weight of 221 pounds is required to compete for this championship.
  • COTT World Junior Heavyweight Championship - A maximum weight of 220 pounds is required to compete for this championship.
  • COTT World Women's Championship
  • COTT World Tag Team Championship -- Returning after a five month vacancy
  • COTT World Women's Tag Team Championship
  • COTT World Six Man Championship

We can also announce the following matches to determine champions:

1. The first ever COTT World Junior Heavyweight Champion will be crowned in CILL Redencion on January 7 at the Campo del Rey when Amazing Fire Fly goes one on one with El Pavo Real.
  2. The first ever COTT World Six Man Champions will be crowned at MWCW's debut event, All Midwest Wrestling, airing on Griffin Sports Mid West when the trio of Ace Youngblood, Roger Monteiro, and Wild Red Stallion take on the trio of Juggernaut Jones, Jack Pryde, and Phil Anders.
  3. The COTT World Tag Team Championship will see new champions crowned in the mainevent of MWCW's All Midwest Wrestling in a blockbuster four team elimination bout. The four teams competing in this match are The Wild Cats, Evil Intent, Coulrophobia -- these three teams are all former COTT World Tag Team Champions, and The LA Stars, who prior to the titles going inactive were the next in line for a title shot.

We hope all of our fans enjoy this new chapter in the COTT. I'm excited for what 2022 has in store. See you 'round the loop.

𝒮𝒶𝓂 𝒦ℯ𝒾𝓉𝒽

Sam Keith, COTT President

• Like 10

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Midwest Championship Wrestling announced earlier today on social media that they had entered into talent trading partnerships with India's Delhi Superstar Pro Wrestling and Spain's Ultimate European Wrestling. MWCW CEO Patrick Santini was said to be elated to be able to announce an international partnership for the St. Louis based company. With the announcement that MWCW's first event will also feature two COTT World Championship matches, it's clear that Santini and his wife Sue Danes are hard at work on trying to build positive relationships within the wrestling community.

• Like 11

image.jpeg
Sunday, January 9, 2022
The Ryan Hotel, St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Broadcast on: Griffin Sports Mid West
Prediction Card

Midwestern Championship Wrestling is proud to announce our debut show, in partnership with Griffin Sports Mid West and fully sanctioned by the COTT. The show features five big matches -- three of which kick off two of the three tournaments MWCW is going to be holding to crown our champions. You will see two matches in the opening round of the 8-woman tournament to crown the first ever National Women's Champion, and one match from the 8-team battle to crown our first ever National Tag Team Champions.

The two main events will see the crowning of the COTT World Six Man and COTT World Tag Team Champions. This is a can't miss show for wrestling fans!

Main Event
Four Team Elimination 
No Time Limit
COTT World Tag Team Championship
The Wild Cats vs. Evil Intent vs. The LA Stars vs. Coulrophobia
Preview: Three of these teams have held the COTT World Tag Team Championships before and the four team, The LA Stars, is widely regarded as one of the best unsigned duos in the United States. This is a great opportunity for wrestling fans to see four of the best tag teams in North America vying for the right to be recognized as the World Tag Team Champions. Since the titles are vacant and this is an elimination bout, the normal sixty minute time limit has been waved by all four teams.

Semi Main Event
Trios Match
Sixty Minute Time Limit
COTT World Six Man Championship
First Nation [Ace Youngblood, Roger Monteiro, Wild Red Stallion] vs. The Academy [Juggernaut Jones, Jack Pryde, Phil Anders] w/ Professor Jim King
Preview: MWCW was granted the right to crown the first Six Man Champions in COTT History. The First Nation's Ace Youngblood, Roger Monteiro, and Wild Red Stallion signed the contract immediately (the other two members of the First Nation, twin brothers Malachi and Micah Thunderbird are also on this show). Across the ring from them are three members of Professor Jim King's collective -- The Academy. Juggernaut Jones is regarded as one of the best up and coming wrestlers -- the TITAN Factory product has been making waves in Puerto Rico and hopes to do the same state side. He's joined by Pryde and Anders -- who have been seen working as a tag team around the Midwest region (billed as The Prime Studs). All three men were signed by The Professor as clients [along with big bruising tag team The Brute Squad] and if Jim King's past is to be believed, the Academy could be very successful.

Singles Match
Thirty Minute Time Limit
MWCW National Women's Title Tournament
Opening Round
Skye Hermosa vs. Steffi Chee
Preview: Skye Hermosa is most known for her work in San Diego's Coastal Zone Championship Wrestling where she's a former holder of the CZCW Tag Team Championships (with her partner Kira Lee). The talented young lady is known both for her submission work and her ability to take it to the sky. She let it be known on social media that she's very excited to come to St. Louis and fully plans on winning the tournament to crown the first National Women's Champion. Across the ring from her; however, is veteran Steffi Chee. Chee has spent over a quarter of a century in the wrestling ring -- in fact, she's been wrestling longer than Skye Hermosa has been alive -- and the crafty veteran has let it be known that she is on her Last Ride as a wrestling and fully plans on leaving the sport on top.

Tag Team Match
Thirty Minute Time Limit
MWCW National Tag Team Title Tournament
The Thunderbirds [Malachi & Micah] vs. The Attack Dogs [UEW's Kohl & Balowicz]
Preview: Recent graduates of the Piledriver School of Wrestling, Malachi and Micah Thunderbird, collectively known as The Thunderbirds, may be new names to wrestling fans, but proud Cheyenne Nation brothers were standout athletes, both in high school and then collegiately at the University of Montana. The faternal twins were recommended by Ace Youngblood, who has been serving as a mentor to the two as they begin their wrestling careers. Across the ring from them will be one of Europe's most feared teams -- the Attack Dogs. The former two-time UEW Tag Team Champions are making their North American debut here and you can rest assured they they plan on making their debut on the continent a successful one.

Opening Match
Singles Match
Thirty Minute Time Limit
MWCW National Women's Title Tournament
Opening Round
"The Queen of Hearts" Danielle Sweetheart vs. Joy Ryder
Preview: The first match in MWCW history promises to be a good one. Joy Ryder has been making a name for herself in the Mid Atlantic region where she has been cutting her teeth wrestling in West Virginia, Virginia, the Carolinas, and Maryland. She's earned rave reviews for her skills. She has a tall task ahead of her though in Danielle Sweetheart. Sweetheart, the reigning QAW Champion, has become one of the stand out wrestlers of any gender. She is a big match competitor with thirteen years of experience under her belt and could be the odds-on-favorite to win the entire tournament.

Quick Predictions:
COTT World Six Man Championship: First Nation [Ace Youngblood, Roger Monteiro, Wild Red Stallion] vs. The Academy [Juggernaut Jones, Jack Pryde, Phil Anders] w/ Professor Jim King
COTT World Tag Team Championship: The Wild Cats vs. Evil Intent vs. The LA Stars vs. Coulrophobia

• Like 7

This one is probably going to go to Ryder, but I like to pick who I want to win.  And I think Sweetheart is a near future USPW Women's wrestler, so she is the one I select.

This is a tough one as I can see both sides winning the match.  I go with The Attack Dogs in this one, simply because I am going with the First Nation later on.

Chee puts over Hermosa as she is on her last ride and needs to be putting over younger stars.

COTT World Six Man Championship: First Nation [Ace Youngblood, Roger Monteiro, Wild Red Stallion] vs. The Academy [Juggernaut Jones, Jack Pryde, Phil Anders] w/ Professor Jim King
As I said earlier, I am rooting for the First Nation in this one.  Could almost be a Bloodline type stable if one wanted to make it that way. ;)

COTT World Tag Team Championship: The Wild Cats vs. Evil Intent vs. The LA Stars vs. Coulrophobia
This is a tough one as all four of these teams could potentially walk away with the belts.  I am going to go with the LA Stars for now.  Though, their title reign might be a short one.

Another great looking diary opening, Historian.  Looking forward to seeing how this one plays out.

• Like 1

Quick Predictions:

Quick Predictions:

Edited by Doctor Crunch
forgot to pick one.

"The Queen of Hearts" Danielle Sweetheart vs Joy Ryder

The Thunderbirds [Malachi & Micah] vs The Attack Dogs [UEW's Kohl & Balowicz]

Skye Hermosa vs Steffi Chee

COTT World Six Man Championship: First Nation [Ace Youngblood, Roger Monteiro, Wild Red Stallion] vs The Academy [Juggernaut Jones, Jack Pryde, Phil Anders] w/ Professor Jim King

COTT World Tag Team Championship: The Wild Cats vs Evil Intent vs The LA Stars vs Coulrophobia

Edited by falling_star

All Midwestern Wrestling Predictions

"The Queen of Hearts" def. Joy Ryder

The Attack Dogs def. The Thunderbirds

Steffi Chee def. Skye Hermosa

COTT World Six Man Championship: First Nation def. The Academy

COTT World Tag Team Championship: The LA Stars def. The Wild Cats, Evil Intent & Coulrophobia

The Queen of Hearts" Danielle Sweetheart vs. Joy Ryder
First Nation [Ace Youngblood, Roger Monteiro, Wild Red Stallion] vs. The Academy [Juggernaut Jones, Jack Pryde, Phil Anders] w/ Professor Jim King
The Wild Cats vs. Evil Intent vs. The LA Stars vs. Coulrophobia

Quick Predictions:
"The Queen of Hearts" Danielle Sweetheart 
The Thunderbirds [Malachi & Micah]
Skye Hermosa 
COTT World Six Man Championship: First Nation [Ace Youngblood, Roger Monteiro, Wild Red Stallion]
COTT World Tag Team Championship: The Wild Cats