PSW: Furnace of Champions

On 8/7/2024 at 12:08 AM, 619 said:

To back up the other comments, the Prologue was great both visually and as a scene-setter. I loved your FCW dynasty (I know I was already late to the party and missed others before I joined) so I'm certain this is going to be similarly compelling.

It's also interesting reading your thoughts on how far ahead to write. With my three DIW Alt22 years, I didn't start each thread until I had 20+ posts written, which worked in motivating me to finish each year and being able to post at a regular rate, but you're right that you can't be as reactive to ideas and feedback, making it a bit less interactive. Similarly, I wrote the first 31 parts of a DAVID dynasty (doomed DAVE revival company in the Alt22 mod) over Christmas but burnt out before posting anything, whereas if I'd posted sooner and anyone was engaging with it, it might've motivated me to get further. Anyway, sorry for the tangent, I just found it fascinating to read a Hall of Fame writer's perspective on this 🏆 Really looking forward to the first show.

Really glad to see you on here. Hopefully we see something from you soon? Granted if you normally get 20+ shows written first perhaps we'll be waiting! Certainly worth the wait though and it obviously works for you. I mean really I'm jealous and wish I had the patience/commitment to do the same but once I get something written I'm eager to post. 

Shame about DAVID as I would like to see that. 31 parts is longer than all but 1 of my diaries! So it's a shame it's not been posted. 

On 8/7/2024 at 8:47 PM, QFresh said:

Really dug this first show and am all for a giant ass chain as a title. Sayeed Ali ALL DAY!!!

Thank you! I thought at first, I want something unconventional, like a chain but not just a chain. Then after a while I realised I had no better ideas. Luckily the simplicity has really grown on me. 

23 hours ago, The Lloyd said:

You just love to see it!! Great layout and format.

Ali has been good for me in the past, so I hope he can for you too!

Already like Austin Smooth a lot here! and there were some great one liners from Smooth, Pinn and Ali.

Excellent work.

I appreciate that. Yeah I think Ali is a favourite for plenty. I've definitely always liked him but never had him in a diary before so I'm looking forward to it. 

23 hours ago, AboardTheArk said:

Great look, good show. Love the gimmick belt. It was needed to balance workrate guys having both titles too.

Thank you! Yes I knew I just wanted something for the weekly shows as I imagine it'll be rare the other belts are defended on it. You could say 3 singles belts is overkill for a small promotion but we'll see. I imagine it will be a true floating title. 

Show Results

Screenshot 2024-08-05 085055.pngScreenshot 2024-08-05 085116.png

Prediction Results

20LEgend: 2/3 (including bonus)

AboardTheArk: 2/3

Jcarmjn: 2/3

Satyr24: 1/3

QFresh: 1/3

KyTeran: 1/3

The Lloyd: 1/3

So I clearly underestimated people's faith in Acid II!   In my defense they are only a few pop points difference between the two at the start of the game. Acid II is in most ways the better worker but I like ZomBoy as a bit of a project, and I wanted to start the first ever weekly show by putting a young prospect over. 

Show rating was disappointing, but I was dinged because of a lack of hot storylines. That's already been fixed although soon when the product change comes into affect I'll need 3 hot storylines which might be tricky. It still gained us pop everywhere though. The 'special events' are still going to be our focus, where the biggest matches are and where I expect our big popularity and money gains will be. So it's important to me I'm able to keep the weekly shows short and sweet both to write and read. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

So after some brutal, cruel and potentially unforgivable feedback from a character (let's just call him/her 'T.Lloyd'. No wait, that's too obvious, call him 'The.L') I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on the font. 

With most decisions, I try to just go with whatever I personally think looks best. Crowd sourcing too many decisions would just stop it feeling like 'my vision' I suppose. But I think the font is perhaps different, some fonts can really ruin something or at least make it harder to read. 

So I'd super appreciate if anyone can take a look at the 3 different ones I've tested?

Let's say... 

Slide 1 = Like this post

Slide 2 = thanks this post

Slide 3 = sad this post

Edited by christmas_ape
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

Preview

The march to New Years Revolution continues but this week all eyes will be on the main event to crown your first ever holder of the Steel City Chain. Elsewhere on the card the National Champion will be tested by the wily veteran Teddy Powell, the title will not be on the line but 'Constant Motion' has a lot to prove. Following Acid II's defeat to ZomBoy, Stuntman will be keen to shift the momentum going into their tag title match, and a debuting roster member has a huge challenge, literally.

Predictions

Austin Smooth vs Teddy Powell

Stuntman vs Deathwish

??? vs Cerberus

Steel City Chain: Xavi Ferrera vs Cowboy Buck Winchester vs Sayeed Ali

Bonus Point: Show grade HIGHER or LOWER (last week: 45)

Edited by christmas_ape

Predictions

Stuntman vs Deathwish

??? vs Cerberus

Austin Smooth vs Teddy Powell - Smooth's too good for this belt but Powell isn't the guy to drop it to

Stuntman vs Deathwish - I got the last one wrong so I'm going against my instincts this time

??? vs Cerberus - Cerb isn't the guy you'd get to job to a newcomer

Steel City Chain: Xavi Ferrera vs Cowboy Buck Winchester vs Sayeed Ali - I think he needs it the most out of the three

Gosh, that T.Lloyd sounds like a smaaaaaart guy. Good looking too, I bet. Humble. Also.

Predictions

Stuntman vs Deathwish

??? vs Cerberus

Steel City Chain: Xavi Ferrera vs Cowboy Buck Winchester vs Sayeed Ali - I think everyone will want Ali to win... Agree with @jcarmjn that Buck needs it the most... So it'll be Xavi.

Bonus Point: Show grade HIGHER or LOWER (last week: 45) Has to be Higher right? My first episode is usually my weakest

I loved the first show. It felt quite refreshing to start the debut episode of a new weekly show with a match and then use that both to put someone younger over and someone currently holding tag gold to create some intrigue over their potential long-term direction. Like others, I really like the Steel City Chain concept. I remember your FCW dynasty being great at creating an atmosphere around what made the location and promotion unique and you can really feel that coming together again. It felt like you managed to give an introduction to a lot of acts without anyone outstaying their welcome given the short show format, and it was all capped off with a strong main event helping to build NYR. Thanks also for your kind words, really appreciate it.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, 619 said:

I loved the first show. It felt quite refreshing to start the debut episode of a new weekly show with a match and then use that both to put someone younger over and someone currently holding tag gold to create some intrigue over their potential long-term direction. Like others, I really like the Steel City Chain concept. I remember your FCW dynasty being great at creating an atmosphere around what made the location and promotion unique and you can really feel that coming together again. It felt like you managed to give an introduction to a lot of acts without anyone outstaying their welcome given the short show format, and it was all capped off with a strong main event helping to build NYR. Thanks also for your kind words, really appreciate it.

Thank you, I've always been put off by some of the regional promotions and felt I never really 'got' a Pittsburgh based promotion, I'm from the UK and it's less accessible/clear than say a Californian or New Yorker promotion. Whilst I do feel like I've gotten past that in my head, it's good to hear your comments. 

7 hours ago, LaEstrella said:

Stuntman vs Deathwish

??? vs Cerberus

And now LaEstrella! TEW IX really is bringing back many of my favourites. I missed your EMLL diary when it ended. Again, I hope your planning something too! 

Edited by christmas_ape
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, christmas_ape said:

And now LaEstrella! TEW IX really is bringing back many of my favourites. I missed your EMLL diary when it ended. Again, I hope your planning something too! 

I appreciate it :) 

Maybe I will once I have a bit of time to play the game, in a busy period with work at the moment. EI'll have to think about what I might choose to do a diary for.

Really enjoyed the first show, "Mr Smooth, your reign seems to have the momentum of a runaway freight train. Why are you so popular?" was a particular highlight, but that undersells the job you did establishing your roster.

Stuntman vs Deathwish

??? vs Cerberus

Bonus Point: Show grade HIGHER or LOWER (last week: 45) LOWER

On 8/6/2024 at 11:17 PM, christmas_ape said:

Good to see you back on the boards. I did think when TEW IX was announced that I bet you weren't aware as I haven't seen you post on here or YT for a while. I only found out because I happened to log in to check but after how long the dev journal was to find out there was a new game AND it the beta was out that week was a real surprise. 

Might we see something from you on here or youtube soon? 

Thank you, I was also surprised to check in and see a new game announced. Then I realised it's been four years since 2020 game out. Yet to even book a show in the beta, so don't know that I'll be starting anything any time soon. I hope to, but think it'll be a while off yet. Looking forward to following along with this and hopefully some of the other dynasties on the forums, try to get me back into the C-Verse. I kind of want to rehash my USPW save from last time, but there are a few promotions that have intruiged me, just choosing one to start with now!

The main event delivered and it worked well having Ali get the victory after Ferrera and Winchester got spotlighted earlier in the show. The undercard matches built Cerberus, Smooth and the upcoming tag match well, while I liked the opener's subplot of Powell's age being weaponised. These episodes have great variety and the Wrestler Spotlight is a nice way to flesh characters out both to new viewers checking out the weekly show and us in the thread. And I still can't get over the fact one of the first CVerse guys I knew, Dumfrey Pinn, is now a fairly big deal in the Tri State.

• Like 1

Excellent show mate. Happy with the Main Event result, and like 619, really liked the Teddy Powell/Austin Smooth match too. In particular, how you made Powell seem like a big deal, despite losing. You did the same well with Pepper too.

"Samoan Machine grunts, Rhino Snarls" popped me.

And then the highlight was probably Buck's promo. The way you have your shows laid out, allows for Buck to appear on screen, and just speak (like Xavi did too) with no descriptive 'Buck Winchester was backstage next' etc... They just talked, and it didn't feel like too much, or not enough. Perfectly laid out!

• Like 1

Episode 2 Results

Screenshot 2024-08-12 202132.png

Screenshot 2024-08-12 202106.png

Prediction Contest Results

LaEstrella: 5/5

Wrestling Machine: 4/5

20LEgend: 4/5

KyTeran: 4/5

QFresh: 4/5

StanMiguel: 3/5

JunkRat: 3/5

The Lloyd: 3/5

Jcarmjn: 2/5

AboardTheArk: 2/5

Appreciate all the predictions, always interesting to see other people's thinking. I'm not surprised most of you predicted the show rating would be higher, so did I! But oh well. Still slowly gaining pop so there's no worries on that front. Plus like I said last time, the weekly shows aren't there to showcase the best of all we have to offer. If anything I want them to be less star studied/reliant on my big names, but I need to build up some more stars for that. 

Show 3 is written up and I'm onto New Years Revolution, this will be the test really as the weekly shows are a real breeze to write, if the special events are similar then I'm feeling really good about this. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, 619 said:

The main event delivered and it worked well having Ali get the victory after Ferrera and Winchester got spotlighted earlier in the show. The undercard matches built Cerberus, Smooth and the upcoming tag match well, while I liked the opener's subplot of Powell's age being weaponised. These episodes have great variety and the Wrestler Spotlight is a nice way to flesh characters out both to new viewers checking out the weekly show and us in the thread. And I still can't get over the fact one of the first CVerse guys I knew, Dumfrey Pinn, is now a fairly big deal in the Tri State.

I was wary not to do Powell dirty. He won't feature too often but there's still time for him in his career to do something other than just put over younger talent.

22 hours ago, The Lloyd said:

Excellent show mate. Happy with the Main Event result, and like 619, really liked the Teddy Powell/Austin Smooth match too. In particular, how you made Powell seem like a big deal, despite losing. You did the same well with Pepper too.

"Samoan Machine grunts, Rhino Snarls" popped me.

And then the highlight was probably Buck's promo. The way you have your shows laid out, allows for Buck to appear on screen, and just speak (like Xavi did too) with no descriptive 'Buck Winchester was backstage next' etc... They just talked, and it didn't feel like too much, or not enough. Perfectly laid out!

Buck is someone who I wasn't particularly excited for when I first made my plans but I've had to shuffle some things around to give him a bigger part going forward as I enjoy him now. I'm also forcing myself to heavily weigh the hardcore stat in my future planning. I want to 'complete the hardcore revolution' and part of that is making sure a good percentage of my roster have that as one of their strengths. 

In fact it's probably a good time to lay out my vision of the hardcore revolution, partly because it's not set in stone and I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts. So I'm working on a 'Hardcore Manifesto' and I'd love to hear any opinions on what success means to a company like PSW. What would completing the hardcore revolution mean in 2022 C-verse terms?

Edited by christmas_ape
  • Like 1

I'm washed with these predictions man...

I thought this show was better and I will echo the others in general. I do also think you're still finding your feet and the diary can get even better but I'm not saying this in any critical manner. Especially the challenge you mentioned about not knowing what exactly it means to be a Pittsburgh promotion is something I can majorly relate to. 

As for the Hardcore manifesto... I can think of a couple of things but I want to see what is laid out!

31 minutes ago, christmas_ape said:

I was wary not to do Powell dirty. He won't feature too often but there's still time for him in his career to do something other than just put over younger talent.

Buck is someone who I wasn't particularly excited for when I first made my plans but I've had to shuffle some things around to give him a bigger part going forward as I enjoy him now. I'm also forcing myself to heavily weigh the hardcore stat in my future planning. I want to 'complete the hardcore revolution' and part of that is making sure a good percentage of my roster have that as one of their strengths. 

In fact it's probably a good time to lay out my vision of the hardcore revolution, partly because it's not set in stone and I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts. So I'm working on a 'Hardcore Manifesto' and I'd love to hear any opinions on what success means to a company like PSW. What would completing the hardcore revolution mean in 2022 C-verse terms?

Buck's got talent. Charisma, acting, SQ, Brawling, Hardcore. All round he might be top 3 or 4 workers in the company, 33 too, with an easy gimmick to write for. Sky's the limit.

As for the success of a hardcore company, tough question. Be interested to hear you drill down on that a little more. I think for me, there's space for the third biggest company in the US to be completely different to the other two (what ECW was to WWF and WCW)... but for that, one of USPW, SWF and TCW will probably need to go out of business, or you might be looking at a 3-5 year plan, in which time you'll likely lose Ernest Youngman and struggle to replace him (he is gold). So I'd say short term success is to become the 4th biggest in the US... then 3rd in a few years? I don't know though, I could be way off :D 

• Like 1

I love your idea of creating a Hardcore Manifesto and am really interested in what you come up with. With DIW, I always have a lingering doubt that beyond every match having a decisive finish (no DQs/countouts) and most guys having a signature weapon, my booking is never "hardcore enough". But then the game tells you that PSW and DIW aren't ultra-dangerous, and now there's the added detail of fans really caring about the quality of wrestling, so it makes me wonder if 2022 PSW/DIW hardcore is more in the attitude (us against the world, every outsider is an enemy, rowdy crowd calling the shots, roster full of bad-ass antiheroes, sociopaths and monsters) than the in-ring product. But I don't really know, which is why I look forward to the manifesto.

It feels like PSW have a double identity challenge as you have this balancing act between evolving the product but staying true to the hardcore roots, and then a similar challenge with Pittsburgh where, to @The Lloyd's point, you've got the infrastructure to potentially close the gap on the big three, while still being so rooted to your base that it's even in the company name.

Good luck with the NYR write-up: pleased to hear you've got a good feeling so far.