Tournament Title

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE=Rams;150494]The problem is really a communication one. I don't know if it's a problem with Adam not being clear enough or us just misunderstanding him.[/QUOTE] Problem is people just don't read, or if they do they as was demonstrated in this thread put words into Adam's mouth. Any small thing adam doesn't 100% in depthly explain (weather because it would take away from actually playing and learning how to play like any other game, or because he's gonna explain more with another diary entry on another feature that partly covers it) people jump all over and demand instant satisfaction on how it works. Then everyone starts speculating on how it works then every starts talking about how that way wont work when no one even knows if thats how it's gonna work and then everything snowballs especially since people start taking everything everyones saying to be truth when sometimes it's far from it. Plus no one ever looks at features compare to others adn how they could be made to work together.....it's the number one problem on this board.

[QUOTE=Rams;150494]The problem is really a communication one. I don't know if it's a problem with Adam not being clear enough or us just misunderstanding him.[/QUOTE] Problem is people just don't read, or if they do they as was demonstrated in this thread put words into Adam's mouth. Any small thing adam doesn't 100% in depthly explain (weather because it would take away from actually playing and learning how to play like any other game, or because he's gonna explain more with another diary entry on another feature that partly covers it) people jump all over and demand instant satisfaction on how it works. Then everyone starts speculating on how it works then every starts talking about how that way wont work when no one even knows if thats how it's gonna work and then everything snowballs especially since people start taking everything everyones saying to be truth when sometimes it's far from it. Plus no one ever looks at features compare to others adn how they could be made to work together.....it's the number one problem on this board.

I understand what people are saying, and I was probably a little harsh towards Adam, and for that I apologize. On the flip-side however, even though he didn't have to, when he decided to do the developer diary, he had to have known there would be questions, confusion, and maybe even some dislike of the features being announced, like there would be with any new game that comes out, and if he didn't have the patience to deal with that, perhaps he shouldn't have done the developmental diary. Don't get me wrong, I'm really glad he did, but we're all just human too, and a little miscommunication is going to happen.

I understand what people are saying, and I was probably a little harsh towards Adam, and for that I apologize. On the flip-side however, even though he didn't have to, when he decided to do the developer diary, he had to have known there would be questions, confusion, and maybe even some dislike of the features being announced, like there would be with any new game that comes out, and if he didn't have the patience to deal with that, perhaps he shouldn't have done the developmental diary. Don't get me wrong, I'm really glad he did, but we're all just human too, and a little miscommunication is going to happen.

[QUOTE=Anubis;150454]I would just use tournament software and a bunch of singles matches, but for some reason, all the bracket software makers out there all charge a ludicrous amount of money (like $100, freaking insane BS there) for what should be a very freaking simple program.[/QUOTE] No offense to you Anubis, but if it's a "very freaking simple program", why don't you make it? You want it, don't you? So if you're not happy with the currently available software and it's "very freaking simple", what's really stopping you from making it for yourself? Just a question that comes to mind whenever I hear or see someone complaining about the price of a product. Personally, if I wanted it, $100 would be nothing to me when I consider the cost in man-hours/time spent required for me to make that "very freaking simple program". If I invested those man-hours at work, it would make me a heckuva lot more than $100, after all. Your mileage may vary though.

[QUOTE=Anubis;150454]I would just use tournament software and a bunch of singles matches, but for some reason, all the bracket software makers out there all charge a ludicrous amount of money (like $100, freaking insane BS there) for what should be a very freaking simple program.[/QUOTE] No offense to you Anubis, but if it's a "very freaking simple program", why don't you make it? You want it, don't you? So if you're not happy with the currently available software and it's "very freaking simple", what's really stopping you from making it for yourself? Just a question that comes to mind whenever I hear or see someone complaining about the price of a product. Personally, if I wanted it, $100 would be nothing to me when I consider the cost in man-hours/time spent required for me to make that "very freaking simple program". If I invested those man-hours at work, it would make me a heckuva lot more than $100, after all. Your mileage may vary though.

[QUOTE=Remianen;150633]No offense to you Anubis, but if it's a "very freaking simple program", why don't you make it? You want it, don't you? So if you're not happy with the currently available software and it's "very freaking simple", what's really stopping you from making it for yourself? Just a question that comes to mind whenever I hear or see someone complaining about the price of a product. Personally, if I wanted it, $100 would be nothing to me when I consider the cost in man-hours/time spent required for me to make that "very freaking simple program". If I invested those man-hours at work, it would make me a heckuva lot more than $100, after all. Your mileage may vary though.[/QUOTE] Simple. [i]I don't know how.[/i] I do, however, know enough about the general field itself to know that it can't possibly be too difficult, for a programmer of Mr. Ryland's calibur, to create a program in which you assign numbers and those numbered people are placed in a bracket. I know the general idea behind programming, I just don't know the specifics nor do I have the software with which to program. I can do HTML really well, but not programming language. Similar, but not identical. As for storylines, in my promotion, trounaments don't always revolve around storylines. In fact, it's the other way around. In my IWF, the tournament is purely competitive, bringing in short-term contracts to fill out the 128 spots. Then, based on the winner, storylines develop. I can do all this on y own as it stands, but it would be much cleaner and simpler if I could just say "these people go here, click" and have it done. That and then you can actually see the brackets, something I [i]can't[/i] do manually without software. The problem with all the bracket-making software available is that it all does other things as well, including league management and such. I haven't found a single program out there that does [i]just[/i] bracket making for simple tournaments. Befuddling. This is not a criticism of Adam, just a real strong desire for just a tad bit more, something I've wanted in the game more than [i]anything[/i], since the days of TEW2004.

[QUOTE=Remianen;150633]No offense to you Anubis, but if it's a "very freaking simple program", why don't you make it? You want it, don't you? So if you're not happy with the currently available software and it's "very freaking simple", what's really stopping you from making it for yourself? Just a question that comes to mind whenever I hear or see someone complaining about the price of a product. Personally, if I wanted it, $100 would be nothing to me when I consider the cost in man-hours/time spent required for me to make that "very freaking simple program". If I invested those man-hours at work, it would make me a heckuva lot more than $100, after all. Your mileage may vary though.[/QUOTE] Simple. [i]I don't know how.[/i] I do, however, know enough about the general field itself to know that it can't possibly be too difficult, for a programmer of Mr. Ryland's calibur, to create a program in which you assign numbers and those numbered people are placed in a bracket. I know the general idea behind programming, I just don't know the specifics nor do I have the software with which to program. I can do HTML really well, but not programming language. Similar, but not identical. As for storylines, in my promotion, trounaments don't always revolve around storylines. In fact, it's the other way around. In my IWF, the tournament is purely competitive, bringing in short-term contracts to fill out the 128 spots. Then, based on the winner, storylines develop. I can do all this on y own as it stands, but it would be much cleaner and simpler if I could just say "these people go here, click" and have it done. That and then you can actually see the brackets, something I [i]can't[/i] do manually without software. The problem with all the bracket-making software available is that it all does other things as well, including league management and such. I haven't found a single program out there that does [i]just[/i] bracket making for simple tournaments. Befuddling. This is not a criticism of Adam, just a real strong desire for just a tad bit more, something I've wanted in the game more than [i]anything[/i], since the days of TEW2004.

Some of us can't afford Microsoft Office, which costs even more than the tournament management software . . . Not to mention I don't know how to use Spreadsheet/Excel for bracket arrangement (and didn't even know it could be done) . . . Now if you have a template, and can port it to Microsoft Works Spreadsheet and send it to me, that'd be cool, but somehow I doubt that's possible, is it?

Some of us can't afford Microsoft Office, which costs even more than the tournament management software . . . Not to mention I don't know how to use Spreadsheet/Excel for bracket arrangement (and didn't even know it could be done) . . . Now if you have a template, and can port it to Microsoft Works Spreadsheet and send it to me, that'd be cool, but somehow I doubt that's possible, is it?

Even if it was a feature for us to use as a player, and even if it only used up to 8 player's, or Teams, or whatever..... What is to stop you from setting it up in conjunction? Example, you want to have a 128 (using as an example) man feature. So, use 8 - 8 man tourney's, each month, or day, or whatever, then take the winner's of those 8 and put them in a tournament. However, as it was said, this is an AI feature, which will help with realism with certain title's like "King Booker!" lol. I like it, and look forward to it as much as any other feature so far.

Even if it was a feature for us to use as a player, and even if it only used up to 8 player's, or Teams, or whatever..... What is to stop you from setting it up in conjunction? Example, you want to have a 128 (using as an example) man feature. So, use 8 - 8 man tourney's, each month, or day, or whatever, then take the winner's of those 8 and put them in a tournament. However, as it was said, this is an AI feature, which will help with realism with certain title's like "King Booker!" lol. I like it, and look forward to it as much as any other feature so far.

Archived