Televions and movies... What you guys watching?

Thriller

[QUOTE=Rocland;164447]This was the only part I didn't like! I know if I saw my friend kissing my girl, odds are good I'd do more about it then just sit there like a pathetic loser. I'm sure it will all be resolved in the third one. As for Orlando Bloom's acting ability. Well I cannot comment on this really, as the only movies I've ever seen him in were the Pirates ones. I don't even know what else he's been in. Davy Jones was awesome. I thought he was such a good antagonist in the movie. And is the Kraken that big octopus thing that kept crushing the boats? I didn't catch it's name.[/QUOTE] Yup Kraken is big tentacle monster. Orlando Bloom has been in: Lord of the Rings (Good performance, but he was playing an unemotional elf... perfect casting) Calcium Kid (Snooze-worthy boxing flick) Ned Kelly (zzzzzzzzz) Troy (Whiney with no presence on-screen) Kingdom of Heaven (What could have been a great film (a la Gladiator) turned into a turkey as Bloom just wasn't believable as a broken man!)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE=TCP1;164457]Yup Kraken is big tentacle monster. Orlando Bloom has been in: Lord of the Rings (Good performance, but he was playing an unemotional elf... perfect casting) Calcium Kid (Snooze-worthy boxing flick) Ned Kelly (zzzzzzzzz) Troy (Whiney with no presence on-screen) Kingdom of Heaven (What could have been a great film (a la Gladiator) turned into a turkey as Bloom just wasn't believable as a broken man!)[/QUOTE] Thanks for clearing up the Kraken thing for me. Is it odd that I have never seen the Lord Of The Rings movies? I mean, I know they are extremely popular, I have just never had any interest in them. They are too 'out there' for me to get into. Same with Star Wars. I have never seen even one Star Wars movie. I need realism. I just cannot get into anything do to with Fantasy or Sci-Fi. (Yes I know Pirates of the Caribbean is a fantasy I guess it's the exception). That might explain why I never got into the Cornellverse.

a lot of my friends are like that, they are sporty types though and are worried about there 'rep' i didn't think i would like LOTR and after watching the 1st hour of the 1st film my mind hadn't changed at all, but by the end of the 1st film i was hooked and i can honestly say i love those films now!

Oh no. Please don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to be 'cool' or worried about my 'rep' or something like that. In fact the only sport I watch is wrestling. I couldn't tell you the first thing about Baseball or Football (American or English). I'm Canadian so I should at least have basic knowledge of hockey...which I don't, and am ridiculed for it all the damn time. I'm saying for me personally, I cannot get into some make believe fantasy story. But that's me. I am by no means saying that people that do watch those movies are 'uncool'. More power to them. Sorry if my previous post came off with me looking like a prick

Movies Old Boy - Shocking in an amazing way. Happy Gilmore - "Are you too good for your home!?!" "You're gonna die clown!" Television Family Guy - C'mmmmooooonnnn Sportcenter - Yep TNA/WWE shows - because there awesomely awesomeness to the awesome power Knicks games - Go ny go ny go!

[QUOTE=Rocland;164476]Oh no. Please don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to be 'cool' or worried about my 'rep' or something like that. In fact the only sport I watch is wrestling. I couldn't tell you the first thing about Baseball or Football (American or English). I'm Canadian so I should at least have basic knowledge of hockey...which I don't, and am ridiculed for it all the damn time. I'm saying for me personally, I cannot get into some make believe fantasy story. But that's me. I am by no means saying that people that do watch those movies are 'uncool'. More power to them. Sorry if my previous post came off with me looking like a prick[/QUOTE] I'm almost like that, not quite though. Ok, nothing like that, lol. You didn't look like what Panix was talking about, he was just saying most people he knows that are like that, do that because of those reasons. Might be an age or maturity thing there "My Dad can beat up your Dad!!" kind of thing. Your's didn't come off that way, and I don't think Panix meant to compare you in that way. I have to have some sort of realism as well. I read alot of stuff (mostly on the web now), and some things I find unique or more realistic might boggle the mind of other's, however I'm coming from a "Hypothetical" viewpoint, "theory" based, hypothesis, etc. instead of rules of science, "proofs" and things of that sort. Movies I've been able to connect with, or enjoy based on the theory's they used for them (Time travel is a bit much for me, but even some of them I have enjoyed), Star Treck. Star Treck is almost entirely based on modern theories reguarding space travel, "Beaming up", the tractor beams, even that room on the TV show (Generations), where it turns into bassically anything they program it to be, is based loosely on modern Virtualreality type theory's, (we do have some of this technology already). Speaking of Virtual Reality, Matrix takes it to the next limit. I am quite a Sci-Fi fan actually. SO bassically willing to give anything a shot. Stuff like star wars though, didn't do it for me as much, however I did LOVE it when I was younger, so that might be something there. I have no concern about logic whatsoever though, when it comes to fantasy. Stuff like Tolkien's books, the Lord of the Rings movie's, etc.. I like stuff like that if it's exciting. I fell asleep on everyone of those movies I tried to watch though, couldn't get passed the crying of the hobbits (Halfling's). However, a good Conan, Hercules (or Heracles, whatever), or any mythologically based movie, I like checking out. Given, only a couple of them I have ever liked.. What was the one with the "Good" Dragon in it? I believe Sean Connery played the voice of it. To me, Sci-Fi, Mythological, or Fantasy films are often just as believable as "Rocky" making a comeback (I am a Rocky fan, nothing against it), or any of the Action movies. How many people are going to fall three hundred feet and land "Just" Right? Indiana Jones anyone? I enjoy the movie if there is action, comedy, or suspence (not the boring, hurry it up kind) in it.

JASON X, I loved that movie because of the little "nino" ants... I read about that stuff like 12 years ago, or more! Something Science has been working on making for quite some time... if they don't have something like it now. I thought putting that in THAT particular movie was just purely masterfull... And I hate most all Jason movies... For some reason I loved that one though.

[B][U]TV[/U][/B] I always have the TV on for some reason or another, but I can honestly say that I pay absolutely no attention to what is actually playing in front of me. There is always something else going on that seems a better place to focus my attention. With that said, Heroes is the only show that I actually make a point to watch every week. Beside that I’ll catch episodes of Scrubs, The Office, and My Name is Earl when I get the chance, and/or remember that it’s on. (good thing they are all on the same night now) [B][U]Movies[/U][/B] With a 1 ½ year old and another on the way, my opportunities to get to a movie theater are slim (which sucks because I’m kind of a movie buff); so rather than list new movies I liked; I’ll just list some of my favorites. Fight Club Amelie The Lady Eve Casablanca Dawn of the Dead (the original) One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest The Big Lebowski Citizen Kane [B][U]Books[/U][/B] Temeraire (His Majesty’s Dragon) Catcher in the Rye I Am Legend Lord of the Rings We Were Soldiers Once, And Young [QUOTE=TCP1;164444]Kingdom of Heaven (What could have been a great film (a la Gladiator) turned into a turkey as Bloom just wasn't believable as a broken man!)[/QUOTE] I totally agree with you if we are talking about the theatrical release, but I urge everyone to give the film a second chance with Ridley Scott’s directors cut. It is a much more complete film and events and choices that characters make in the theatrical version become much clearer when you see what was intended. As well, the performances of the actors and actresses are much more even, and we don’t get a sense of them acting irrational like we do in the theatrical version. The studios completely screwed this film by enforcing their strict running time and then they went ahead and screwed Ridley Scott by not backing the release of the directors cut in its very limited run in the theatres.

[QUOTE]I'm almost like that, not quite though. Ok, nothing like that, lol. You didn't look like what Panix was talking about, he was just saying most people he knows that are like that, do that because of those reasons. Might be an age or maturity thing there "My Dad can beat up your Dad!!" kind of thing. Your's didn't come off that way, and I don't think Panix meant to compare you in that way.[/QUOTE] Astute observation by the Funkmeister as usual! Yeah, you didnt come across as an numpty! Hell the guys i know that don't like sci-fi are still my mate's so its clear that i don't mind there atitude towards fantasy/sci-fi! :D

Cool. I'm glad there were no misunderstandings (except on my part :)) Anyway, keeping ontopic, I just watched World Trade Center with Nicholas Cage. It was alright. A good story for sure. But I just didn't really 'feel' it I guess. Maybe because I'm not american? I also feel it's too soon to put out a movie on this. It was done tastefully however. I'd like to know what other people thought of it. I have one friend who thought it was the greatest movie ever, but he works for Paramount so he might have to say that.

[QUOTE=Rocland;164508]Cool. I'm glad there were no misunderstandings (except on my part :)) Anyway, keeping ontopic, I just watched World Trade Center with Nicholas Cage. It was alright. A good story for sure. But I just didn't really 'feel' it I guess. Maybe because I'm not american? I also feel it's too soon to put out a movie on this. It was done tastefully however. I'd like to know what other people thought of it. I have one friend who thought it was the greatest movie ever, but he works for Paramount so he might have to say that.[/QUOTE] I'm not a fan of movies made about real life tragedies, and I also heard that it was really not that good, so I might have checked it out if the reviews were better..

Archived