Petition to end criticism of Ric Flair

HughBatey4

Ric Flair is not the man he used to be. He gets criticism now for staying in the ring way past his prime. The thing is he can still wrestle circles around 98% of us on this forum. I'm sick and tired of everybody badmouthing the GREATEST wrestling legend in the world. Yes, I said greatest. Nobody won as many titles as Ric Flair did, plus Flair did back when titles didn't change hands four or five times a year. So anybody who respects this industry and Ric Flair will sign to end this injustice!

Hehe, I think he should be great as a manager someday. But yeah, he can still go in the ring, but how much long? People should really understand that his glory days are gone a long time ago. Sad, but true. And he really should stop wrestling before something bad happens. He should make the wise decision to quit, while he still can.

He's stuck wrestling at least for a few more years. With his recent divorce and the s Foon to come testicles ripped out through his wallet, he's gonna need the money. Flair's had some amazing matches, even with not-so-amazing people. Watch any Flair vs Steamboat encounter, ANY! Flair even pulled a decent match of Rhodes, that fat piece of trash. Plus, he's had LEGENDARY (not great quality-wise) matches with Hogan, Triple H, Bret Hart, Sting, Harley Race, Shawn Michaels, Mick Foley, Randy Savage, and many more. Hell, it reads like a whos-whos of wrestling.

[QUOTE=Thriller;164250]Are we talking "world" championships in general, I.E. WCW and WWF, or any championship?[/QUOTE] Flair has the most World Title championships! Wooooooooo! Get him as a manager (look what he did for Batista - Instant credibility)

I'll sign! IMO Ric Flair is the greatest of all time. Period. The man is a legend no matter what anyone says. His feuds with Dusty Rhodes, Roddy Piper, Terry Funk & Harley Race were legendary. Vince McMahon saw how great he is as the "Limousine ridin-Jet plane flying-Kiss Stealing-Wheelin Dealin son of a gun" and brought him in as that exact character, instead of slapping some horrible gimmick on him. Which is rare for Vince to do. In the old WWF the guy had great matches with Mr.Perfect, Bret Hart and Razor Ramon. Then he goes back to WCW wherer he pulls out good matches with Hogan nonetheless. Now back in WWE, people say he's past his prime and all this other crap. But have you noticed the reaction he gets? The respect he gets? He stole the MITB match at WM22. Granted his body looks like he's a 60 year old man (which he is), but regardless the guy can still put on a good match when need be.

I'll sign and not just because even with his inability to pull of some of his moves do to age he can still wrestle rings around a lot of buys but because even though he's a well respected veteran and could get away with not losing to anyone if he really wanted to he consistently takes losses to put over younger guys so they can make a name for themselves in the business. Falir gets my signatur efor ebing not only one of the greatest of all time but for (well as far as I cna piece together) being an upstanding guy.

What exactly is the petition supposed to be about? You started by saying people shouldn't be critical that he has stayed on past his prime (even though your own post seemed to suggest that you think that's true!) but then started talking about whether he's the greatest of all time - are you asking people to sign if they think he's the greatest, if they think he should still be wrestling, if they think he shouldn't be criticized for being a shadow of his former self because he's a legend.....which? [QUOTE]The thing is he can still wrestle circles around 98% of us on this forum.[/QUOTE] Incidentally, I think that's a really odd thing to post! He's a professional wrestler, if he couldn't wrestle rings around a bunch of untrained teenagers, he'd really be in trouble. Most wrestlers could beat "98% of people on this forum", it's hardly something that needs bragging about.

I'd kick his butt, no problem. "WOOO!!!" Heck, I'll kick half the roster's butt. "WOOOO!!!" 'Course, not everyone on these forums is a teenager (wow, what a wonderfull thought though), and not all of us are untrained (Although, probably 2% would be a good number, lol). I think Weidoman could kick his butt too! "WOOOO!!!" I'm signing the petition! I think Flair should keep wrestling till Flair wants to stop! If I thought his match's made him look bad, out of his league, or unbelievable, then maybe I wouldn't sign. However, I aggree with everyone (mostly), He still has the potential to put on great match's, and still can be technical, entertaining, and quite skillfull, reguardless of his age. There's alot of folks around that I think put on good match's, reguardless of age. Of course someone like Flair won't be able to pull off things they done in their youth, but even 1/4th a Flair is better then half these so called "Superstars", "WOOO!!!"

[QUOTE=HughBatey4;164246]He's stuck wrestling at least for a few more years. With his recent divorce and the s Foon to come testicles ripped out through his wallet, he's gonna need the money. Flair's had some amazing matches, even with not-so-amazing people. Watch any Flair vs Steamboat encounter, ANY! Flair even pulled a decent match of Rhodes, that fat piece of trash. Plus, he's had LEGENDARY (not great quality-wise) matches with Hogan, Triple H, Bret Hart, Sting, Harley Race, Shawn Michaels, Mick Foley, Randy Savage, and many more. Hell, it reads like a whos-whos of wrestling.[/QUOTE] Not great quality wise? :eek: Well maybe not the ones with Foley because both men were over the hill when they started the feud [I don't recall if they fought before then] but I saw his match against Randy Savage at Wrestlemania and it was indeed great and his matches against Harley Race and Sting were classics.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;164489]I think he might be refering to the technical aspects there... As compared with the Steamboat match's. Forgive me if I'm wrong Hugh:-)[/QUOTE] I dunno, I've seen Flair's cage match against Race on the Flair DVD collection and it was an awesome match and I've never heard anybody claim Flair's various matches with Sting were anything less then good. Maybe not QUITE as good as Flair's matches with Steamboat but really, it's Ricky Steamboat.

The one knock on Flair that I have to agree with is the fact that a lot of his matches were very similar...or in many cases the same. He had a long series of matches with Sting, and I swear to God they did the EXACT same match every time they went out. But, to be fair, it was a pretty good match. But hey, you can only watch your favorite movie so many times before it starts wearing a little thin. The same could be said for a lot of top guys (Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels specifically), and I guess the reason behind it would be that they were so used to wrestling a certain style of match that they could have really good matches with a variety of opponents. You really can't crticise him too heavily for that...I mean, he's a legend. He broke his back thirty years ago and is still wrestling. As far as Flair beating people up...well, today it wouldn't be much of a fight since he's twice my age and I hold a 2nd dan in judo, but in his prime? Come on, the man could wrestle two one hour matches in one day! No way I could even touch that.

Archived