WWE Contradiction

Astil

[QUOTE=Astil;177613]I only just got back into wrestling a month ago and it took WWE that long to dissapoint me. Sad really, but eh, TNA. I'd love to honestly see another HBK run. Or do what they should've done a while ago, give the belt to Kane, let him carry it into retirement. He's done enough for the 'E to deserve that.[/QUOTE] Kane does deserve it for being such a great servant, but I don'tthink he wants it. As far as I've heard, he's been offered it but rejected it as he thinks the younger guys deserve their run. Shockingly, he seems to be content with that joke of a title run he had in 98. This also relates to Takers Wrestlemania run. Taker apparantly offered for Kane to end the streak, but Kane said it would take away from his legacy. Just a top guy to be honest. Personally, I've not watched the E for a while. I've seen little bits, but nothing has interested me. Everything just seems a bit too bland at the moment. And it reminds me a little too much of WCW before it died (in particular, the failure to push or acknowledge the great in ring workers. And I'm not at all surprised WWE contradicted itself, or sold out in terms of merchandise. I'd be more surprised if they didn't contradict themselves or plaster the show with walking adverts. Oh well, whatever makes money, I guess. :(

[QUOTE=keefmoon;177648]Kane does deserve it for being such a great servant, but I don'tthink he wants it. As far as I've heard, he's been offered it but rejected it as he thinks the younger guys deserve their run. Shockingly, he seems to be content with that joke of a title run he had in 98. This also relates to Takers Wrestlemania run. Taker apparantly offered for Kane to end the streak, but Kane said it would take away from his legacy. Just a top guy to be honest.[/QUOTE] If that stuff is true then it's a shame that more of the top guys in the WWE and wrestling in general don't have that mindset. You know, the professional mindset that puts business ahead of your own ego.

Yeah when I heard it (from another wrestling forum) I suddenly gained a hullava lot of respect for the guy. As you said, if only more people were like him. Imagine how good WCW would have been if Hogan & Nash (amongst others) had that mindset. If anyone can prove this to be either true or false I'd love to know. I've searched around and all I can find is more forums saying it's true, but I can't find the source. But his fued with MVP indicated he is happy to put younger guys over. It will be a shame when he retires, which I've heard will be soon. Once agin, just a rumour. Man, why can't I come up with any facts?!

[QUOTE=Astil;177712]I think Kane getting another run wouldn't hurt the youngins too much. I think hes gone after WM anyway. (Would love to see a BoD DX match, which BoD wins and both announce there retirement)[/QUOTE] That would be great, as both Taker & Kane aren't far from retirement. A Kane title run would be great, as I think a legit title run would only serve to add credibility to his career. If I were him, I would be worried people would look back on his career and think he was just another WWF/E hoss. He isn't far from that now, but his character from 97-99 deserves more than that, and so does his attitude. I think the thing with Kane is he just wants to do what's best for WWE, and he believes putting the next generation over before you retire is the way to do it. A true pro.

[QUOTE=keefmoon;177918]I think the thing with Kane is he just wants to do what's best for WWE, and he believes putting the next generation over before you retire is the way to do it. A true pro.[/QUOTE] Reminds me of Terry Funk in (old) ECW. "I can make him" They don't make folks like that anymore. From Swifty Lazar to Sumner Redstone and on down the line in the intertainment industry. Folks who made deals by shaking hands and that handshake was worth more than their name scribbled on a piece of paper. Seems the class acts are filtering out of the business, slowly but surely. :(

[QUOTE=Remianen;177931]Reminds me of Terry Funk in (old) ECW. "I can make him" They don't make folks like that anymore. From Swifty Lazar to Sumner Redstone and on down the line in the intertainment industry. Folks who made deals by shaking hands and that handshake was worth more than their name scribbled on a piece of paper. Seems the class acts are filtering out of the business, slowly but surely. :([/QUOTE] Sadly, I don't think it's just in wrestling. There seems to be more back-stabbing and unloyalty in all sports than I can ever remember seeing. Unfortunately I think people just want to get themselves ahead more than anything else. But the days where a hand shake meant something were good times. And maybe the only solice (sp) in all this is people like Glen Jacobs (I think in this context it seems more appropriate to use his real name and not character name) get the praise they deserve for having what everyone surely agrees is the right attitude.

Back to the point of the ads on the wrestlers gear, i belive they are probly only doing this due to the fact that when they signed onto USA they gave away all commicals to USA. So this is about the only way they can make money on RAW in terms of something like commericals. I could be completly wrong though... who knows.

machinesxe the point is you are right, if they did sell ALL commercials to USA. Product Placement really gives you great money, especially on a show where "as WWE.com says" over 2.5 million new viewers were watching WWE Raw. Now back onto the better topic. Glen Jacobs does deserve a run, but I would love to see a Lendrick vs. BoD program. Give the titles to the BoD and then have it so that Lendrick beats BoD like David beating Goliath.

You know, I have this rep for being as old-school a workrate warrior as you'll ever meet among my peeps. If it bleeds, it leads and if it doesn't lead to the ring then it's crap. But I'll tell you something that will totally belie that. I'm wondering what kept them as far as this product placement they've been doing is concerned. One of the first gimmicks I would have introduced had they gave me the book would have been Billy Boardman. A young superstar who was a walking billboard BY CHOICE!! Much of his early backstage promo work would have been him on the cell trying to rent out space of his clothes to advertisers. Maybe have one of the veterans mock him for it and Billy feud with them because (in character) he's been taking the ads his whole career and it supplemented his indy income. Then JBL comes knocking offering Billy contacts for better sponsors and mentoring him on how to run his business affairs. Which leads Billy to start wanting to do the same for the other rookies and leading to a gradual phasing out of the gimmick.

cappyboy, there's only one problem with all that. Product placement hasn't been fully embraced by the public at large. Most people don't even notice it in 90% of cases it crops up in. Shoving advertising in people's faces leads to things like TiVo and pop-up blockers and channel surfing and the like. You shove it in your audience's face and you run the risk of creating a backlash against your company. I'm sure many people here can cite examples of seeing a company's logo or name prominently displayed in a movie or TV show they've seen. But seeing a character working on a Dell computer is very different from having that character look into the camera and say, "It's a DELL!". The former fits the scene (Dell is big enough that people don't think twice about seeing someone working on one of their PCs or laptops, so it doesn't FEEL like advertising) the latter shatters any suspension of disbelief that might have been present up to that point. Nah, I don't think people are ready for that just yet.

[QUOTE=StefanGrey;179892]I think one of my biggest problems with product placement came in Blade Trinity. Who fights vampires listening to an iPod? Wouldn't it be tough to hear something coming up behind you like that?[/QUOTE] It's a plot device in that instance. It's used to give a feeling of preoccupation and to disarm a foe. If you see someone listening to an iPod (or CD player or PSP) and you hear it's turned up loud, it can give the idea that stealth isn't really necessary (or a focus on stealth). So you don't mask your approach as well as you might if that plot device were not used. You're right though, blatant placement makes people think "WTF?" and kills suspension of disbelief. Like, you just noted a person killing vampires while listening to an iPod. The iPod placement killed your suspension of disbelief of VAMPIRES existing and needing to be killed. :p Mind you, the WWE has been using product placement for their own products for well over a decade (workers wearing their own t-shirts....available at WWEShop.com!) but bringing in outside products is fairly new for them. It's something that I think that damn company in Orlando (based in Nashville) should pick up on (mo' money is NEVER a bad thing, after all).

I would do it, especially if they don't get revenue for the commercials ran during their show (which they should, so should TNA if they don't). Kane is nothing more then an Enhanced talent to me. I never believed him, and I think his punch's must be really weak at all times, or people would get knocked out left and right. So he deserves to be nothing but Enhanced Talent!! Just kidding, I love Kane and would like to see him get some kind of gold one last time before he retire's, if that's so close. Undertaker too. I know both of them are willing to lose to anyone these days, but the WWE wants to keep them strong and their loss's mean something, so... hard to tell what might end up happening. MVP impressed me a couple of times, he really looks like he's getting hurt all the time (not talking about the third degree burns on his back and butt though). I can't wait to see how he does on the offensive... however, he hasn't fought anyone but Brother's of Destruction that I can think of.. outside of the outside help they brought in for his first appearance.

Archived