Match Engine  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Match Engine

• Play By Play
    • Magazine Summary

There'll probably be quite a few polls over the next few weeks, as I gauge people's tastes on certain areas. The first one I want to bring up is the match engine, or more specifically how people would prefer to see fights unfold. Very simply, there's two ways that I think would work, both with advantages and disadvantages. [B]Play By Play[/B] - The fight unfolds with messages appearing on screen as the fight unfolds, giving information on key moments. So it may run something like: "Garner shoots in on Hughes, and takes him down, but only into the guard" "Garner tries to move through to the mount, but Hughes blocks it" "After an extended period of inactivity, the referee stands them back up" The user would be able to go through them by pressing the space bar, so it would unfold at your pace. Advantages: More dramatic, especially for big fights. [B]Magazine Summary[/B] - The fight is presented in one go, in the format of a magazine article. So it would look something like (dramatically shortened to save me typing out a lot): "Buddy Garner and Raul Hughes met at TFC 61 last night, but the highly anticipated match proved to be a disappointingly one-sided affair. Hughes rushed Garner right from the start, looking to land some big strikes, but Garner weathered the early storm easily, using his footwork to always stay out of range. Garner eventually used a clinch to control Raul, before tripping him down to the mat. From there, Raul's poor ground defence was brutally exposed, and the submission expert Buddy Garner had no problem applying a textbook kimura for the submission victory at 3:22 of the first round, taking his pro record to 14-2 overall and ending Raul's four match unbeaten streak." Advantages: Allows space for opinions, facts and analysis to be added in; easier to cut and paste for diaries; more professional looking.

Time to be awkward ... I'd like the option of either of those, selectable for each individual bout. Possibly with the summary option taking stats from a pbp engine that sims in the background should user not wish to watch the fight. :)

I'd definedly go with the "Magazine Summary", especially when the Play-by-Play is just like how Wrestling Spirit II was. You had always click and click with the "C"-button to advance in menus, which sounds boring. So yeah, Magazine Summary for me please. Hmm, couldn't it be an option for user to select? Or is it too much coding? On other comments: Fantastic news!! This is something that I will be truly looking forward on, considering that I've played both WreSpi and TEW huge amount of hours, days and weeks, this should be something of a hybrid of those two games. Can't wait for more details.. sounds interesting. Hmm, how does Promotion Prestige and Overness & Size affect on the gameplay? The same with TEW07?

Play-by-Play is great the first few times you read it, then it becomes Play-by-Play is great the first few times you read it, then it becomes Play-by-Play is great the first few times you read it, then it becomes Play-by-Play is great the first few times you read it, then it becomes Play-by-Play is great the first few times you read it, then it becomes Play-by-Play is great the first few times you read it, then it becomes Play-by-Play is great the first few times you read it, then it becomes You get my point. Loved the Magazine Summary you provided. Seemed about the right length for a fight that lasted less than 1 round.

I think it would depend on a few things......if it was a randome move generator then i would say mag style............but if thier was a inteligent system doing the matches and not just putting randome moves together then i say play by play......basicly you would have to have a entire match report engine which could be very very hard..........i guess i would have to vote mag style but would love to see play by play if it was done right.

Another good thing about ply by play is it would be easier for people who write dynasties to work out the matches. I like the idea of play by play as long as there is a speed button where you don't have to wait 10 minutes for a match to unfold if you dont want to, you can simply fast forward.

I would prefer Magazine Summary, as GDE71 pointed out play-by-play tends to get repetitive (oftentimes after the first one or two cards). For example, TNM was absolutely awesome when I first discovered it since I was about 13 years old at the time; but after a while, I ALWAYS used the option that took me straight to the finish because I didn't want to sit through it. Although Adam offers a great alternative, moving the match at your own pace via the space bar. The problem remains that things will still be repetitive, and with a lot of sims that use play-by-play, one line seems to have no influence on the next a lot of the time. Example: "Buddy Garner rushes in, taking Raul Hughes down with a double-leg" "Buddy Garner takes a few shots at Raul Hughes midsection" "Raul Hughes nails Buddy Garner with a series of knees" "Raul Hughes mounts Buddy Garner" Perhaps I'm being too picky, but in the provided example, the play-by-play never explains how Raul got the momentum to land even a single knee, let alone a series, and it also never mentions a reversal that would allow Raul to mount Garner. Now, perhaps I'm completely underestimating Adam's ability and this might not even be a problem, I'm simply stating evidence from what I know of play-by-play in other games. I would love to see the option of both, but I don't know enough about programming these days to know (a) how time consuming it might be to program both, or (b) how it would impact the size/memory required for the game. Magazine Summary allows for better flow, and could also allow for more dramatic summaries in higher quality fights. It would also be better for dynasty writers who don't want to type out bouts, and still provides a good guidline of each match for those who prefer to write them out.

The difference with PBP in the case of MMA, it would still follow the match. You say it'll get repetitive, but all it is doing is going through the match. Fighter A shoots, etc.... I'm not too fussed by either, but I don't agree with the repetitive statement in the same vein with MMA.

Thanks for the input so far. To answer the earlier questions, doing both isn't really something that I'm looking to do; my goal is to make the match engine absolutely world-class, so I'd rather pick one or the other and put 100% into it than spread my concentration between two (very big) sections. I'm actually glad the magazine one is winning, because that looks far more interesting from a development point of view.

Archived