you know your a mark when......

alden

• 2 years later...
[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;230410]Ok, this is the weirdest thing.... A Mark is supposedly someone that gets into the character's, and cannot get over the idea they are really like that... My wife always says Orton is in love with himself, I say that is the Adonis gimmick, he's supposed to act that way. She thinks Edge really is a prick, or he wouldn't be able to be one so easily... She used to like HBK, but because of his treatment to Cena, she can't stand to here his voice anymore.. That's what is traditionally known as a mark.. Then there is the Smarks... The one's that think they know what is going on, and yet, they keep screwing up storylines with real life... My first and foremost example will always be Vince McMahan. Most "Smarks" believe that Vince is "writing himself" in as the new ECW champion, just to insult the ECW name.... Ok, that's what I've read anyways, from people that are supposed to be in the "know". Am I happy with him holding the title, NO! I'm not supposed to be, nor is anyone else. The bottum line is, Vince doesn't want the ECW brand to fail, he wants it to shine just as much as Smackdown or Raw... Pluss, It's more then likely that he is doing this becuase someone else wrote it, and someone else believes this will "Help" in the long run, whatever it is they have planned out. Now... Here is my whole point.... Is it better to be a Smark or a Mark? I actually doubt I could watch wrestling with someone that is going to be pointing out flaws in everyone that I like... For example, that Italian guy (yeah, I can't remember his name either). I like the hell out of him though, he might not have any Mic skills, but in TEW terms, He has plenty of Charisma... The same is true about Lashley. My son watch's, he's 16... My wife "can handle it" (the way she puts it), and alot of times we have friends over... Especially for Smackdown. In order.. these are the most liked people: Cena, Lashley, Boogieman (my wife hates him though), Undertaker, Batista... This is in order. Now, if someone were to come here and say that is who they like, they would be so criticized. However, I can't find anyone OUTSIDE of here, in what I think of as the "Real world" (that which I can see and talk to in person), that would think it sane of me to say "Lashley sucks".. Yet, here...... I don't know if I'm making a point or not... But to top off my post... HERE is where I say critical things of the MOST BELOVED characters on WWE..... HOME is where I just root for them with everyone else.[/QUOTE] Actually a mark ,by the old carny standard, is one who spends money on the product.They deem a person a mark to try and get money from them, not because they are a fan of the guy who runs the ring toss stand.

[QUOTE=Boomer Iles;634119]Actually a mark ,by the old carny standard, is one who spends money on the product.They deem a person a mark to try and get money from them, not because they are a fan of the guy who runs the ring toss stand.[/QUOTE] Guess I am still a mark then. I've given ROH quite a bit of money in recent months. :D

I consider myself a smark because I know a lot of what goes on behind the scenes and I don't watch wrestling with the same mind set I did when I was 8. However , I still have my mark moments. I.E. I'm a HUGE Batista mark. Why? I don't know. He's a hoss, doesn't really have mic skills and his moveset is pretty much about 8 moves, but whenever he shows up I'm flipping out yelling for the Batista Bomb.

Love marks, tbh. My American cousin is a 10-year old mark who is very deeply into the WWE and I love to tick her off when I run down who I hate and who I like. She's like "OMG how can you like Chris Jericho/Kennedy(back when he was heel)/Edge!?" and it always makes for great convos between us, one of the few ways we can connect together. On the other hand, she waves it in my face when Cena wins some match, and I always end up chasing her down the stairs :p Part of me wishes I were a mark though. That I knew nothing of this backstage crap dealings going on. I've stopped reading Internet reports on news sites(except when a wrestler's injured/released and whatnot) but that doesn't do anything. It does minimal effect since I participate in wrestling-related forums anyway, with people spouting off backstage rumors to begin with. But eh, I'll live with it. It's fun though when my cousin and I share similar views on certain superstars, despite our separate POVs on the business. We both hate Morrison, Masters and Lashley, and we both like.. well, whichever talented faces there are(e.g Rey, Punk, HBK, Taker, etc). Her most favorite though is Jeff Hardy while I'm very 50/50 on him.

I love marking out. Recent example... Orton/Batista at Judgement Day. I can tell from the lack of thread on this site that bugger all people watched it, but I seem to be on a weird run of watching the last 4-5 WWE PPV's on the trot. Orton/Batista was like the first match on the card I barely paid attention to, I went to make a cup of tea, checked my emails... but when Orton rammed Big Dave into the ring post, then dropped onto his face, raging out, getting ready for the RKO, I marked. Big time. In small, RKO-themed doses, I'm a HUGE Orton fan. I don't want to watch him do an entire match, but put him in a Rumble, or have him psyche himself up for his move, or punt someone, and he's the biggest superstar on the planet to me. Also his music... really dig his music.

[QUOTE]Part of me wishes I were a mark though.[/QUOTE] Honestly...I feel the same way sometimes. I love watching great wrestling still; recently, both of the Bryan Danielson/Tyler Black matches from ROH's TV show entertained me a great deal. But it's simply not the same as it used to be, back when I flipped the F out when Bret Hart won the WWF title from Yokozuna at Wrestlemania X, or when I got so angry at HBK eliminating my favorite, the British Bulldog, to win the 92 Royal Rumble that I chucked my HBK action figure off of my deck, shattering it. Ah, the good ol' days. :)

Archived