NYCW: Old School Revisited

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, I love this diary, and I think it'd be even better if you cleaned up the layout a little bit. It's okay as is, but if you took a page from... let's say Scap's diaries, I think it would garner more of a fanbase. Oh, and too bad about Flash, you can build around the man... At least untill Davis Wayne Newton shows up!

[QUOTE=Bye1918;256283]Man, I love this diary, and I think it'd be even better if you cleaned up the layout a little bit. It's okay as is, but if you took a page from... let's say Scap's diaries, I think it would garner more of a fanbase. Oh, and too bad about Flash, you can build around the man... At least untill Davis Wayne Newton shows up![/QUOTE] Thanks for the feedback. I will check out some other dynasties and see how they do their layouts. If anyone else has any ideas or suggestions about the layout and what they like , don't like, feel free to respond.

Great stuff DM! I think if you put the matches as bold headings: [B][COLOR="Blue"]Steve Flash [/COLOR]d. [COLOR="Red"]Rick Sanders[/COLOR][/B] These two men blabhalbhalbhalbhalbh Like that it makes it a little easier to read and seperates the sections a little better. So you can see the match...and oh there's an angle. Just breaks it up a little for the reader.

December had brought some roster decisions as both Steve Flash and Lee Wright were departing. With some holes to fill for our January show, I made some calls to some indy and free agent wrestlers and eventually agreed to terms with two wrestlers and one manager. One of the wrestlers had just been recently released from a well known regional fed and the other was related to a famous wrestler. All would be debuting in the next couple of months. On the home front , I had already added Duncan Kendall to handle road agent duties and extended Fern Hathaway as she was cheap, young and already familiar to the audience. In other news around the nation [B]News: [/B] With the announcement that the backyard fed XDW was closing its doors, 5 members of its group Xavier Reckless, Super Sonic, Daredevil Aero, Fearless Blue and Extreme Deluxe all decided to take a shot at making it the American wrestling scene. While they all undoubtedly had the athleticism that Stomper currently was advocating for, none of them would be a good fit for our style of promotion. In addition to Lee Wright , some other world famous tag team wrestlers called it quits when both Robert Oxford and Warlord Pain retired. Also former 2 time NOTPBW Women's champion April Appleseed hung up her wrestling boots this month. Ed Monton was apparently trying to prolong his career by sucking up to the son of the boss, Steve DeColt, on a TV show. I guess he learned from the lesson of Lee Rivera earlier this year to keep the DeColts on your good side. It was the opposite story in 4C where Air Attack Weasel had some unkind words for Persephone during a local TV interview. In some major TV news , GNN dropped TCW's weekly show, leaving USPW as the only American promotion with Television coverage. NOTPBW, with 2 shows in America and cross coverage in Canada, let their Canadian only show expire. At this point NOTPBW had as much if not more popularity and prestige in the USA than any of the big three SWF, TCW or DaVE. [B]Signings and Leavings:[/B] In CWWF reigning Global champion Principessa vacated the belt when she left for a written deal with NOTPBW. CWWF moved quickly to fill the gap by signing the ultra talented Alicia Strong. In CZCW , Infinity's favorite job boy Jeremiah Moose was handed his walking papers. SWF lost another major name when Skull DeBoned decided not to renew his deal with them. USPW filled the spot of the retired Warlord Pain by adding TCW castoff Randall Hopkirk and signing huge rookie Gargantuan. BHOTWG made a surprise move in offering a color commentator position to the retired Warlord. Pain is said to have eagerly accepted the spot. INSPIRE added Insane Machine, Champagne Lover and Rhino Umaga to their latest tour. WLW added a large dose of American talent in Fox Mask, Bulldozer Brandon Smith, Larry Wood , Frankie Perez and American Elemental. [B]Title Changes:[/B] Demonstrating Carl Batch's new direction for CZCW, Puerto Rican Power dethroned Donnie J's yearlong run with the Coastal Zone Championship. In NOTPBW the Natural dropped another belt as RK Hayes and Omar Brown beat him and Owen Love for the NOTPBW Tag Team titles. The Natural wasn't beltless long as he recaptured the NOTPBW Unlimited Action title from Edd Stone to begin his 2nd reign. Melody Cuthill captured her 2nd NOTPBW Women's title by beating the woman who had ended her first run, Stephanie Hazel. In light of their recent troubles, the TCW World Championship changed hands as Liberty defeated Joe Sexy to begin his fourth time with the belt. In USPW, Warlord Pain retired while still the National champion and one half of the tag champions, thus vacating both titles. His partner , Warlord Agony captured the National title in a match over Java at the USPW Made in America show, while the Towers of Power (Mick Muscles & Danny Rushmore) regained the tag team belts by defeating Damage Inc ( American Machine & Happy Elwood ) on TV a week later. And , finally, in another sign of a coming apocalypse, Peter Valentine is the ONLY American wrestling World Champion with national TV coverage. Peter "freaking" Valentine. The industry is truly at an all time low.

As the booking committee did our year end review, we were generally pleased with how things werer going. Although we were still losing money every month, we still over 60k of our intial 100k operating fund and we had been able to move to a larger venue with crowds over twice the size we originally were drawing. If the economy ever got out of this downward spiral we could probably really start packing people in. Roster turnover had been less than expected with no real losses other than the departing Steve Flash. Everyone that had been added in was fitting nicely, with Brains McGhee and his drinking issues the only exception. Our storylines had been fairly successful so far and the staff and I had some ideas to see us through the first half of the next year. As for our year end show, the talent trade for Akima was really working out well as his Samoan Surfer act was really popular. The only downside was his recent exposure with DaVE had put him out of our price range for a full time contract currently. Also, another veteran, Lee Wright, had decided to try and get a backstage staff job at a larger promotion, so he had refused an extension offer. This left us in need of a Road Agent to fill in for Stomper while he was having his last run. I had sent out some feelers when Wright had said he was going to leave after the show and I found a decent replacement in Duncan Kendall. We were also starting to get a little light on roster bodies with Wright and Flash leaving and Akima on his last appearance, so I started looking for a couple of people to add for the new year. Since some of the roster decisions were still waiting when we had to send out the promotional flyers, we pretty much did a rehash of the previous event for our January show Rush Hour. The advertisment read [B][COLOR="Red"]Frankenstomper[/COLOR] vs [COLOR="Blue"]Wiley Coyote[/COLOR][/B] for the [B]NYCW Tag Team [/B]titles [B][COLOR="blue"]David Mack[/COLOR] vs [COLOR="Red"]Fumihiro Ota[/COLOR][/B] and in the Main Event [B][COLOR="red"]Grandmaster Phunk[/COLOR] vs [COLOR="Blue"]Akima Brave[/COLOR][/B] in a cage match for the [B]NYCW Empire[/B] championship where there must be a winner

The advertisment read [B]Frankenstomper[/B] vs Wiley Coyote for the NYCW Tag Team titles [I]The boss is the boss[/I] [B]David Mack[/B] vs Fumihiro Ota [I]Player Cahracter to the rescue[/I] and in the Main Event [B]Grandmaster Phunk[/B] vs Akima Brave in a cage match for the NYCW Empire championship where there must be a winner [I]Akima's gone so he can't have the title when he leaves[/I]

[I]Year End Awards:[/I] [B]Wrestler of the Year[/B]: Dan Stone Jr 32 wins 16 losses Avg rating B+ #1 in top 100 [B]Young Wrestler of the Year[/B]: Edd Stone 34 wins 21 losses 1 Draw Avg rating C+ 2 months as Unlimited Action champion. #54 in top 100. [B]Veteran Wrestler of the Year[/B]: Larry Vessey 2 wins 6 losses 2 draws Avg rating C+ #21 in top 100, retired in Aug 2007. [B]Female Wrestler of the Year [/B]: Sensational Ogiwara 56 wins 14 losses 2 draws Avg Rating C+ #14 in top 100. [B]Promotion of the Year :[/B] TCW [B]Most Improved Promotion of the Year:[/B] NOTPBW [B]Match of the Year:[/B] Dan Stone Jr def Jeremy Stone at NOTPBW Pain in August Rated A [B]Show of the Year:[/B] NOTPBW Pain in August Rated B+ [I]Top 10 according to Pro Wrestling Hits Magazine:[/I] 1. Dan Stone Jr 2. Johnny Bloodstone 3. Yoshimi Musashibo 4. Duane Stone 5. Nobuatsu Tatsuko 6. Buddy Garner 7. Jeremy Stone 8. Bryan Vessey 9. Remo Richardson 10. Sean McFLy [I]NYCW Year End Awards:[/I] [B]Wrestler of the Year:[/B] Grandmaster Phunk I[I] may have had better overall matches, but Phunk's star power has carried the federation all year long.[/I] [B]Match of the Year:[/B] David Mack def Fumihiro Ota semi finals of the King of New York Tournament. [I]Easily the best in ring match of the entire year.[/I] [B]Show of the Year:[/B] King of New York Tournament. [I]Biggest Audience, best overall matches, an easy choice.[/I] [B]Tag Team of the Year:[/B] Wiley Coyote [I]really was no one else to contend this year.[/I] [B]Young Wrestler of the Year:[/B] Sammy the Shark [I]Hands down the most improved person on the roster, he gets better and better every show he is on[/I]

[B][CENTER][SIZE="5"]NYCW RUSH HOUR[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B] [CENTER][SIZE="3"]Live from the Ministry in Queens Jan 2008 Att: 788[/SIZE][/CENTER] [B][SIZE="2"]PRE SHOW[/SIZE][/B] [B][COLOR="Blue"]Rock Downpour[/COLOR][/B] and [B][COLOR="Red"]Jakki White Trash[/COLOR][/B] inform the crowd of the card tonight, highlighting the deciding match between [B][COLOR="Blue"]David Mack[/COLOR][/B] and [B][COLOR="Red"]Fumihiro Ota[/COLOR][/B], with both men having one victory each, and the main event cage match between King of New York winner [B][COLOR="Blue"]Akima Brave[/COLOR][/B] and Empire Champion [B][COLOR="Red"]Grandmaster Phunk[/COLOR][/B] in which there must be a winner. They are interrupted by a fiery red headed woman who comes out and introduces herself as [B][COLOR="Blue"]Kristin Pearce.[/COLOR][/B] [B]D-[/B] [I]Standard opening segment that also introduces our new manager.[/I] [B][COLOR="blue"]Kristen Pearce[/COLOR][/B] says she has come to NYCW because it is the fastest rising promotion in america and she and her new team want to be part of ushering in that rise. She will now present the two men that will lead NYCW to greater heights. With that cue out come two large, well muscled men. One is [B][COLOR="blue"]American Machine[/COLOR][/B] and the other is a newcomer to NYCW , but recognizable from his time in USPW , young stud [B][COLOR="blue"]Nicky Champion[/COLOR][/B]. Kristen says that these two men are the cream of the crop and that her [B][COLOR="blue"]American Muscle[/COLOR][/B] team will be the wave of the future. [B]D[/B] [I]I am really surprised USPW let Champion go as he shows every sign of being more than just a no talent muscleman. Must be too young for the USPW roster i guess. Their loss, my gain.[/I] [B][COLOR="blue"]American Muscle [/COLOR]def [COLOR="Red"]Bob Casey and The Masked Mauler[/COLOR] in 2:48 E+[/B] Nicky Champion defeated Bob Casey by pinfall with a Hawkeye Hammer. [I]Basic squash match to highlight the new power tag team. Champion really stood out in the match and finished thing off with a vicious clothesline he calls the Hawkeye Hammer[/I]. I am standing around backstage when [B][COLOR="Red"]Ota[/COLOR][/B] appears out of nowhere, spits his mist into my face and then floors me with a vicious side kick. Ota's translator then comes up as I am laying there and says, "Honorable Ninja Warrior Ota has instructed me to inform you that your fate will be sealed when you face him tonight." [B]D+[/B] [I]Adding a little heat to our match.[/I] [B][SIZE="2"]MAIN SHOW[/SIZE][/B] As [COLOR="Red"][B]Jakki[/B][/COLOR] has her team in the ring, [B][COLOR="Blue"]Karen[/COLOR][/B] comes out with her team and she starts to get into a war of words with Jakki. Soon both women are in each other's faces yelling and screaming at each other until their respective teams finally pull them apart. [B]E+[/B] [I]Emphasizing that this is more of a personal feud between the managers than just a tag feud.[/I] [B][COLOR="blue"]Soul Calibur[/COLOR] drew with [COLOR="Red"]The Hustlers[/COLOR] in 2:46 D-[/B] Double disqualification again as both managers got involved in the match and things broke down quickly. Another of the [COLOR="Blue"]Fern Hathaway[/COLOR] entertains the crowd segment. [B]D[/B] [I]Keeps the male fans happy and hopefully perks them up for the title matches coming up.[/I] [B][COLOR="Red"]Honest Frank and Stomper[/COLOR][/B] call out [B][COLOR="Blue"]Wiley Coyote[/COLOR][/B] , with Frank saying that it is time for him to finally get his due. After being overlooked for month after month, he has joined forces with the most influential person in NYCW , the Stomper, and that together they form an unstoppable team, a juggernaut called [B][COLOR="Red"]FrankenStomper[/COLOR][/B]. [B]D-[/B] [B][COLOR="red"]FrankenStomper[/COLOR] defeated [B][COLOR="Blue"]Wiley Coyote [/COLOR][/B]in 8:03 E[/B] Honest Frank defeated Wiley Steinway by submission. FrankenStomper win the NYCW Tag Team titles. [I]A standard ugly brawl that led to Frank and Stomper isolating Steinway and working on his back to set up the Boston Crab finisher used by Frank to get the submission. Shows that both teams need better opponents to put on a good match.[/I] I come out with traces of Ota's mist still on my face as I tell him and the audience that no amount of sneak attacks, underhanded tactics, or dirty tricks will stop me from beating Ota for myself, for the fans, and for the American people. [B]C+[/B] [I]Fairly standard good guy promo that got the crowd cheering.[/I] [B][COLOR="blue"]David Mack[/COLOR] defeated [COLOR="Red"]Fumihiro Ota[/COLOR] in 17:47 C+[/B] David Mack wins by submission with a Dragon Sleeper. [I]In my personal opinion , this was slightly better than our match back in November. As this was our third match together, our timing was even more in sync as we were able to anticipate each other's spots and get a real good flow in the back and forth action. Finish was similiar to last time except that after reversing his Ninja Kick attempt I clobbered the interpreter before he could interfere and then applied the Dragon Sleeper finisher.[/I] [B][COLOR="Blue"]Akima Brave[/COLOR][/B] heads out with a mike in hand. He starts by saying how last month was like riding that killer wave and then a big wipeout at the end , but how this month will be like riding that same wave all the way in as he will corner [COLOR="Red"][B]Phunk[/B][/COLOR] in the cage and claim the NYCW Empire championship. [B]C+[/B] [I]Brave has really made a connection with the fans here in NYCW and will be someone I hope to make a permanent part of the roster in the future.[/I] [B][COLOR="red"]Grandmaster Phunk[/COLOR][/B] makes his entrance and proclaims that no coconut eating island savage was ever going to beat him or take away his championship. He states that he will exit the cage the same way he entered, as NYCW Empire champion because no one takes the Pimp Daddy's bling. He then holds the belt up high and enters the ring. [B]C+[/B] [B][COLOR="red"]Grandmaster Phunk[/COLOR] defeated [COLOR="Blue"]Akima Brave[/COLOR] in 19:49 by pinfall. C-[/B] Grandmaster Phunk makes defence number 10 of his NYCW Empire title. [I]Lot of standard cage spots and some blood pouring down Phunk's face by the end made this look more like a standard DaVE match, but both men pulled it off even though they still looked uncomfortable together in the ring. Ending came after Brave had slammed Phunk off the cage a couple of times and then landed a huge powerslam. With Phunk laying out in the middle of the ring, Brave climbed to the top of the cage and went for the Suicide Heaadbutt. Phunk managed to roll out of the way and then cover a stunned Akima for the win.[/I] [B]Overall Show D+ [/B] [I]The tag title match dragged this down a little but was a necessary first step in trying to do something with that division.[/I]

[B][SIZE="3"]Roster as of Jan 2008[/SIZE][/B] [B]Main Event :[/B] [B][COLOR="Red"]Grandmaster Phunk[/COLOR][/B] Pimp Rated B+ Popularity C across USA [I]Our Empire Champion for the entire year and undisputed main star of company.[/I] [B][COLOR="blue"]David Mack[/COLOR][/B] Fan's Own Rated B Pop D+ across USA C- in Tri-state [I]I am currently the top babyface in the promotion, but I do feel I have earned it over the last year.[/I] [B][COLOR="blue"]Nicky Champion[/COLOR][/B] Clean Cut Rated C Pop D+ across USA D in Tri-state [I]Recently added after his release from USPW as I was light on upper level faces. Still young with a lot of potential and had been riding a popularity wave with USPW before his release. Part of the new American Muscle tag team.[/I] [B]Upper Card:[/B] [B][COLOR="Red"]Honest Frank[/COLOR][/B] Old School Heel Rated C Pop D- across USA E+ in Tri-State. [I]Current Tag Team champion as part of FrankenStomper team. Is set to change to a new gimmick as his current persona has grown a little stale.[/I] [B][COLOR="red"]Rick Sanders[/COLOR][/B] Lounge Lizard Rated D+ Pop D- across USA D in Tri-State. [I]Current Tri-State champion. recent gimmick change not blowing the crowd away but is still the # 3 heel on the roster.[/I] [B][COLOR="red"]Fumihiro Ota [/COLOR][/B] Ninja Rated D Pop D+ across USA D in Tri-State. [I]Current # 2 heel and probably the second best in ring performer on the roster currently.[/I] [B]Mid Card:[/B] [B][COLOR="Blue"]American Machine[/COLOR][/B] Clean Cut Rated B- Pop D- across USA [I]The other member of the new American Muscle tag team, he seems a good pairing with Nicky Champion so far.[/I] [B][COLOR="Blue"]Coyote Dynamite[/COLOR][/B] Biker Rated C- Pop E across USA [I]Half of Wiley Coyote, former tag team champions starting to make way for the younger teams and wrestlers.[/I] [B][COLOR="blue"]Wiley Steinway[/COLOR][/B] Man Beast Rated F+ Pop E across USA [I]Other half of Wiley Steinway.Recent change in gimmick not catching on with fans. Also transitioning to putting over other talent[/I]. [B][COLOR="Red"]The Masked Mauler[/COLOR][/B] Old School Heel Rated C- Pop E+ across USA E- in Tri-State. [I]Midcard jobber, switching to a new gimmick to try to breathe some more life into him, but may not be in the future plans of NYCW[/I]. [B][COLOR="Blue"]Elijah Harris[/COLOR][/B] Fun Babyface Rated B Pop E- across USA E in Tri-State. [I]Always a fan favorite, finding some new life with his current Soul Calibur tag team.[/I] [B]Lower Card:[/B] [B][COLOR="Red"]Casey Valentine[/COLOR][/B] ****y Youth Rated B Pop F+ across USA [I]Just making his debut, but his persona is already drawing a lot of heat from the fans. Has a lot of potential.[/I] [B][COLOR="red"]Bob Casey[/COLOR][/B] Lounge Lizard Rated C- Pop F+ across USA E- in Tri-State. [I]Basically a jobber, but his ability to make people ,American Machine especially, look good gets him a little popularity.[/I] [B][COLOR="red"]Sammy the Shark [/COLOR][/B] Conman Rated C Pop F+ across USA E- in Tri-State. [I]Half of the Hustlers tag team, is taking advantage of the opportunity to improve himself and someday work his way up the card.[/I] [B]Openers:[/B] [B][COLOR="red"]The New York Doll[/COLOR][/B] Punk Rated C- Pop F+ across USA E- in Tri-State. [I]Other half of the Hustlers , not progressing as fast as his partner and has issues with lateness that could cost him his roster spot.[/I] [B][COLOR="red"]Kashmir Singh[/COLOR][/B] Old school heel Rated D Pop F- across USA F+ in Tri-State [I]jobber to help others look good while training them in ring skills. Probably will never be a major star, but a valuable roster member nonetheless.[/I] [B][COLOR="Blue"]Cal Sanders[/COLOR][/B] Lumberjack Rated B+ Pop F- across USA F in Tri-State. [I]Other half of the new Soul Calibur tag team. Fits his gimmick almost perfectly, but a total lack of charisma and the star look really hold him back. Excellent ring skills make him valueable on the roster though[/I]. [B]Staff:[/B] [B][COLOR="blue"]Kristen Pearce[/COLOR][/B] Girl Next Door Rated B- Pop E+ across USA [I]Manager of the new American Muscle tag team with a great look and great entertainment skills.[/I] [B][COLOR="Red"]Jakki White Trash[/COLOR][/B] Trash Rated C+ Pop E across USA [I]Manages the Hustlers as well as Rick Sanders. Also handles color commentator duties and her feud with Karen Killer is a staple of the undercard.[/I] [B][COLOR="Blue"]Karen Killer[/COLOR][/B] Goth Rated C Pop F+ across USA [I]Manager of the Soul Calibur tag team and former color commentator. Also member of the booking commitee.[/I] [B][COLOR="Red"]The Stomper[/COLOR][/B] Old School Heel Rated C+ Pop E+ across USA [I]Owner of NYCW and current tag team champion with Honest Frank as he enjoys what may be his last active run.[/I] [B][COLOR="Blue"]Rock Downpour[/COLOR][/B] No gimmick Rated C- Pop E across USA E+ in Tri-State. [I]Lead Announcer of the NYCW events[/I] [B][COLOR="blue"] Marv Earnest[/COLOR][/B] no Gimmick Rated C Pop E- across USA [I]Former lead announcer but wasn't showing the skills announcing the main events that we need. Still used on booking team and backstage, but may not be renewed when contract is up.[/I] [B][COLOR="blue"]Duncan Kendall [/COLOR][/B] no gimmick no rating Pop E+ across USA [I]Not used on camera, handles road agent duties while Stomper enjoys his current in ring run.[/I] [B][COLOR="blue"]Fern Hathaway [/COLOR][/B] Cheerleader Rated C Pop E- across USA E in Tri-States [I]Local favorite of the audience, has great looks but not much else currently. Is stil very young and getting opportunity to improve her camera skills. Long term project but is cheap enough to keep around.[/I] [B][COLOR="blue"]Michael Bull [/COLOR][/B] No gimmick Rated C Pop F+ across USA [I]competent referee and reasonable price level for his skill.[/I]

No backstage or contract issues to deal with this month. Around the rest of the wrestling scene the news was [B]News:[/B] With their dominance in both the Canadian and American market places, NOTPBW was declared a Global sized promotion. 5SSW was dissatisfied with booker Kuniyoshi Chishu's performance and replaced him with Yosuke Narita better known as WLW's Awesome Thunder. A new promotion MHW , claiming to bring hardcore wrestling to the Mexican lucha world, opened its doors this month. Also in Mexico, soap star El Fuerza decided to become a real wrestler instead of just acting as one on TV, while in Japan another promising rookie Bussho Makiguchi graduated from the PGHW training dojo. Tsuki Kawamata, perhaps angling for a job in SWF, put over Farrah Hesketh during an AAA radio interview segment. TCW , in an attempt to rally from their recent misfortunes, inked a PPV deal with USA Free Choice this month. [B]Signings and Leavings:[/B] NOTPBW, to support their expansion, conducted some heavy talent raiding from CGC, 4C, and SWF and nabbed Angry Gilmore, Jack Bruce, Wolf Hawkins, Zimmy Bumfhole, Pat Deacon and referee Darren Smith to stack and already loaded roster. They should more than make up for the departure of Alysian Scotsfield. 4C signed Akima Brave to offset the departure of Wolf Hawkins BSC saw the departure of Annie Hitch**** and Sara Silver and brought in our own Jakki White Trash to take over commentary. Perhaps seeing a musclebound future in CZCW, Mainstream Hernandez decided not to renew his contract there. MAW saw the end of "The Future" as former champion Steven Parker didn't re-sign ( Surprisingly, Stomper thinks he isn't athletic enough to fit with his current hiring criteria, which is a huge opportunity missed in my opinion. Maybe he will relax his restrictions in the future as Parker could be a major player.) To replace him MAW signed SWF castoff Grease Hogg. With all the talent that left them for NOTPBW, SWF made the major acquisition of referee Ray Johnson to replace Darren Smith. And no one else. No wonder they are still in a tailspin. Remo is the only thing keeping them watchable nowadays. Robert Oxford decided to go free agent after his retirement and has left TCW. USPW let go long time comedy performer Al the Hillbilly and , possibly in a sign of change, signed high flyer Mainstream Hernandez. So, CZCW signs untalented musclebound guys and USPW sign high flyers. The wrestling world really is stranger than fiction. [B]Title changes:[/B] In CGC, John Maverick captured his 4th Canadian championship by beating Shane Nelson Joanne Rodriguez captured the CWWF Global title left vacant by Principessa's departure the month before ( [I]this should make Apupunchau happy[/I]) Grease Hogg made a major impact in his MAW debut by winning the Rip Chord Invitational tournament In RIPW , Nevada Nuclear dethroned Valiant's year long reign with the RIPW Championship in SWF, Angry Gilmore's departure vacated the SWF Tag Team titles for the 3rd time in the last 4 months. and yes, USPW still has Peter Valentine as their World Champion. The rug in Sam Strong's office must be worn through from Valentine kneeling to kiss Strong's ass to keep the belt.

It was a less than jubilant mood at the booking review the next morning. While the show itself had gone well, Stomper wasn't thrilled by the dead reaction his title win garnered and to top it off, we had lost over $5000 from using almost all the roster on the longer show. We made the decision to go back to the 60 min main show format until either we started selling out or the economy began to recover as that kind of loss rate would put us out of business by the end of the year. With Akima Braves appearances over and the new additions to the roster, we needed to set up some new storylines to propel us through the next few months. With nothing really established we went with what we thought would be the best individual matchups with the current roster that we hadn't done to death in the last few months. So for Rumble in the Bronx the card read [B][COLOR="Red"]Rick Sanders[/COLOR][/B] vs [B][COLOR="Blue"]Wiley Steinway[/COLOR][/B] for the [B]NYCW Tri-State Championship[/B] [B][COLOR="Red"]Fumihiro Ota[/COLOR][/B] vs [B][COLOR="Blue"]American Machine[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="blue"]David Mack[/COLOR][/B] vs [B][COLOR="Red"]Grandmaster Phunk [/COLOR][/B]for the [B]NYCW Empire championship.[/B]

[B]Rick Sanders[/B] vs Wiley Steinway for the NYCW Tri-State Championship [I]Sanders will make a better champion than Steinway by far.[/I] [B]Fumihiro Ota[/B] vs American Machine [I]Machine has a bit more growth to do before beating some one like Ota.[/I] David Mack vs [B]Grandmaster Phunk[/B] for the NYCW Empire championship. [I]Unless Phunks contract is up soon he won't drop the title for a bit more.[/I]

[B]Rick Sanders[/B] vs Wiley Steinway for the NYCW Tri-State Championship [B]Fumihiro Ota[/B] vs American Machine [B]David Mack [/B]vs Grandmaster Phunk for the NYCW Empire championship. [I]It looks like it might be time for an Ota-Mack feud for the Empire strap[/I] D-Mack, I also like the new format

[B][CENTER][SIZE="5"]NYCW RUMBLE IN THE BRONX[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B] [CENTER][SIZE="3"]Live from the Ministry in Queens Feb 2008 Att: 751[/SIZE][/CENTER] [B][SIZE="3"]PRE SHOW[/SIZE][/B] [B][COLOR="Blue"]Rock Downpour[/COLOR][/B] and [B][COLOR="Red"]Jakki White Trash[/COLOR][/B] set up tonights show for the audience, surprisingly without any interruption this month. [SIZE="3"][B]D-[/B][/SIZE] [B][COLOR="red"]Casey Valentine [/COLOR]defeated [COLOR="red"]Kashmir Singh[/COLOR][/B] in 2:54 by pinfall. [B][SIZE="3"]D-[/SIZE][/B] [I]Quick squash to introduce Casey to the crowd. While not a lot of opportunity to play it yet, his ****y youth character got a lot of heat from the crowd.[/I] [B][COLOR="Blue"]Kristen Pearce[/COLOR][/B] comes out with her team of [B][COLOR="blue"]American Muscle[/COLOR][/B] and proclaims them , both individually and as a team, the face of wrestling to come. [B][SIZE="3"]D[/SIZE][/B] [I]Machine and Champion are a good pair at least cosmetically since they both pull off a decent clean cut gimmick and have similiar looks.[/I] [B][COLOR="Blue"]Fern Hathaway[/COLOR][/B] and I are backstage chatting when [B][COLOR="Red"]Grandmaster Phunk[/COLOR][/B] comes up. He reminds me that I wasn't good enough to beat him for the title last time and I won't be good enough tonight either. He then tells Fern that when she is tired of boy scouts and poverty come look him up and she can make some real money as one of his ho's. [B][SIZE="3"]D+[/SIZE][/B] [I]Refreshing my "on screen" relationship with Fern and giving her some rub.[/I] [B][SIZE="3"]MAIN SHOW[/SIZE][/B] [B][COLOR="red"]Rick Sanders[/COLOR][/B] comes out wearing a silk shirt and a fake tan and gold chains and announces that he is now to be called Rick "The Slick" Sanders. He claims that now that he has the gold, all the women won't leave him alone, so it's a good thing he is loaded with machismo. He then says that [B][COLOR="Blue"]Wiley Steinway [/COLOR][/B]only wishes he could be half the man that "The Slick One" is and that Steinway is barely a warmup compared to the workout Sanders will get from the ladies after the match. [B][SIZE="3"]D-[/SIZE][/B] [I]Sanders debuting his new lounge lizard look and act to go with his new championship. He is adequate on the mike, but probably could benefit from a manager who could help his charisma.[/I] [B][COLOR="Red"]Rick Sanders[/COLOR] defeated [COLOR="Blue"]Wiley Steinway[/COLOR] in 7:39[/B] [B][SIZE="3"]D[/SIZE][/B] Submission victory with a Figure Four Leglock. Rick Sanders makes defence number 1 of his NYCW Tri-State Regional title. [I]Sanders shows why he is champion as he is probably the best current in ring performer of my midcard. Like Flash before him , only a lack of charisma keeps him from breaking out. Steinway does some brawling and power moves early, but Sanders uses his experience and technical wrestling to get Steinway off his feet and work over a knee setting up the Figure Four for the submission.[/I] [B][COLOR="blue"]Kristen Pearce[/COLOR][/B] is backstage psyching up [B][COLOR="blue"]American Machine[/COLOR][/B], letting him know that a victory over a tough opponent like Ota will set him up for a shot at either the Tri-State or Empire championship , and that together with her and his partner, they will usher in a new future in NYCW. [B][SIZE="3"]D[/SIZE][/B] [I]Giving an opportunity for Pearce to use some of her great charisma and entertainment skills to help Machine tap into his potential.[/I] [B][COLOR="Red"]Fumihiro Ota[/COLOR] defeated [COLOR="Blue"]American Machine[/COLOR] in 8:02[/B] [B][SIZE="3"]D+[/SIZE][/B] Ota gets a pinfall after a low blow following a mist spray to the face. [I]Decent match but I think could have been somewhat better as Machine seemed a little off tonight. Pretty much Machine power moves early , then Ota using thumbs to the eye and knees to the stomach to stifle Machine's rally attempts. Finish happened when Ota's interpreter climbed to the ring and Kristen Pearce grabbed him to pull him down. This distracted the ref long enough for Ota to spew his mist into Machine's face and the give him a low blow to keep him down for the rollup pin.[/I] While Machine is still blinded by the mist, Ota takes advantage after the match to deliver some more punishment with a Ninja kick to Machine's head as he staggers up. He then does some more stomping until Machine's partner, [B][COLOR="blue"]Nicky Champion[/COLOR][/B], runs out to make the save. [B][SIZE="3"]D-[/SIZE][/B] [I]Sowing some seeds for a possible future storyline.[/I] Now it's my turn to respond to [B][COLOR="Red"]Phunk[/COLOR][/B]'s earlier comments as I let him know that he has usually needed help to keep his title against me, either a DQ or interference from someone else. I let him know I am relentless, that no matter how hard he tries to run, or cheat, I will beat him and I will live the American Dream and be the [B]NYCW Empire Champion[/B]. [B][SIZE="3"]C+[/SIZE][/B] [I]Not to blow my own horn, but my promo ability is probably only second to Phunk's in the promotion right now[/I]. [B][COLOR="red"]Phunk[/COLOR][/B] comes out and calls me a weed that you pull and keeps growing back, an itch that bugging you no matter how much you scratch. But that no matter how much of a minor annoyance I may be to him, there is no way that a wet behind the ears boy scout like me could ever beat the Pimp Daddy and that he would once again teach me the rules of Pimpdom. You don't mess with the ho's, the money, or the BLING! And then he holds the belt up high. [B][SIZE="3"]C+[/SIZE][/B] [I]Practically a trademark promo for Phunk now.[/I] [B][COLOR="Blue"]David Mack[/COLOR] drew with [COLOR="Red"]Grandmaster Phunk[/COLOR] in 12:50 [/B] [B][SIZE="3"]C[/SIZE][/B] Double count out. Grandmaster Phunk makes defence number 11 of his NYCW Empire title. [I]Probably my best overall match with Phunk yet. I was able to match up with his brawling style and we traded punches, slams, and clotheslines until the action spilled outside of the ring. We started taking the fight back up the entrance ramp, both of us trading haymaker shots, and the referee counted both of us out.[/I] Overall Show [B][SIZE="3"]D-[/SIZE][/B] [I]Seems that, even though the in ring action was good, the crowd got a little restless because there wasn't enough total wrestling and they didn't kow what any storylines were since we didn't have any continuity from the previous events. Guess this is what I get for hot shotting a card.[/I]

Contract issues were light this month. Only Honest Frank and Sammy the Shark were up for renewal. As both were in active storylines and both were still reasonably priced for their positions, I re-upped them both for another nine months. Around the wrestling world for Feb 2008 news was [B]News:[/B] El Critico announced that he was backing the newly formed Mexican Hardcore wrestling promotion and named Luchador Originalic as his head booker. The reputed "next big thing" in luche libre , Gino Montero debuted this month and immediately found work with the new MHW promotion. A protoge of Pricipessa, Amber Allen joined women's wrestling this month and showed good enough potential that 5SSW added her to their next tour despite a roster purge this month to combat rising tour costs. Seeing her career in decline, Joshi wrestler Seiko Nanami retired this month. SWF, following TCW's example from the month before, also inked a PPV deal with USA Free choice. Not wanting to forget their homebase, NOTPBW announced a new TV show in Canada called NOTPBW Throwdown!. Former SCCW Champion Jesse Christian returned to active competition after a 4 year hiatus. [B]Signings and Leavings:[/B] 5SSW purged some well known talent from their roster including the likes of Yuma Maruya, Connie Morris and Saori Nakadan. They announced that this was purely a cost cutting move and had nothing to do with the individual wrestlers released. BHOTWG added, Pistol Pete Hall, Julian Watson and Jimmy Cox to their spring tour. The Foooorrrceeee has invaded Canada as CGC added Jim Force to the roster ( Buy his merchandise, eh!) And the big man revolution in CZCW continues with the controversial addition of Big Smack Scott. NOTPBW continued to stack an already supremely talented roster by adding SWF's Marc Dubois. Following Marc DuBois out the door, Brett Biggz also left, unfortunately, not to a nice written deal like DuBois. To counter the recent roster losses, SWF signed Brendan Idol, Puerto Rican Power and Mick Muscles. [B]Title Changes:[/B] The SWF declared the SWF Shooting Star title inactive this month. They announced that a new SWF Television title would debut next month with a tournament to determine a winner. Darryl Devine will now go down as a footnote for being the last person to hold the inactive title. ( Since they haven't had any television coverage for almost 9 months, it's pretty optomistic to have a Television title. Or just Richard Eisen in his fantasy world again.) The Warriors of the Deep ( Lobster Warrior and Jumbo Shrimp ) def former champions Hit and Run ( Enforcer Roberts and Kurt Laramee ) for the oft vacated SWF Tag team titles. The Peter Valentine USPW World title watch has reached it's 9th month. In an interesting note, his World title actually has slightly more prestige than the TCW World title after the twin hatchet jobs of a Joe Sexy reign and the current Liberty -Bruce the Giant feud .

The booking review mainly consisted of us going over fan comments that they didn't see enough wrestling and couldn't follow what the storylines were since there was a drastic change up from the previous months of who was feuding with who. Since my job was dependant on putting butts in seats and keeping them there, it behooved me to listen to those fans somewhat. Financially , the shorter format helped on costs and we only lost less than a grand this month. That helped wipe the scowl off of Stomper's face, for a short time anyway. Trying to continue with existing storylines as well as some continuity from last month we set the following matchups advertised for NYCW March into Manhatten [B][COLOR="Red"]The Hustlers[/COLOR][/B] vs [B][COLOR="Blue"]Soul Calibur[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR="blue"][B]American Muscle[/B][/COLOR] vs [B][COLOR="red"]FrankenStomper[/COLOR][/B] for the [B]NYCW Tag Team[/B] titles [B][COLOR="red"]Fumihiro Ota[/COLOR][/B] vs [B][COLOR="blue"]Coyote Dynamite[/COLOR][/B] and in the Main Event [B][COLOR="Blue"]David Mack[/COLOR][/B] vs [B][COLOR="red"]Grandmaster Phunk[/COLOR][/B] for the [B]NYCW Empire [/B]championship.

The Hustlers vs [B]Soul Calibur[/B] [I]Calibur is going places and The Hustlers, until they get more experience, are just jobbers.[/I] [B]American Muscle[/B] vs FrankenStomper for the NYCW Tag Team titles [I]This is just heart talking FrankenStomper will probably iwn but I'd like to see American Muscle go somewhere.[/I] [B]Fumihiro Ota[/B] vs Coyote Dynamite [I]Ota has solidified himself now he just needs a good opponent which Dynamite is not.[/I] and in the Main Event David Mack vs [B]Grandmaster Phunk[/B] for the NYCW Empire championship. [I]At least three shots before Mack takes the title.[/I]

[B][CENTER][SIZE="5"]NYCW MARCH INTO MANHATTEN[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B] [CENTER][SIZE="2"]Live from the Ministry in Queens Mar 2008 Att: 794[/SIZE][/CENTER] [B][SIZE="3"]PRE SHOW[/SIZE][/B] Show begins as usual with [B][COLOR="Blue"]Rock Downpour[/COLOR][/B] and [B][COLOR="Red"]Jakki White Trash[/COLOR][/B] doing some commentary on tonights matchup when, surprise!, they are interrupted by [B][COLOR="Blue"]Karen Killer[/COLOR][/B]. She lets Jakki know that her boys [B][COLOR="blue"]Soul Calibur[/COLOR][/B] are going to stomp allover Jakki's team of the [B][COLOR="Red"]Hustlers[/COLOR][/B]. Jakki responds that her boys will take care of business in the ring and she will show up the hag Karen once and for all. [B][SIZE="3"]E+[/SIZE][/B] Backstage, the camera catches [B][COLOR="red"]Grandmaster Phunk[/COLOR][/B] with [B][COLOR="red"]Ota[/COLOR][/B] and his interpreter talking quietly and then shows Phunk hand over a wad of paper to the interpreter. Both the interpreter and Ota nod their heads to Phunk and they all walk off. The camera zooms in to look at a piece that fell to the floor and it looks like a yen note. [B][SIZE="3"]C-[/SIZE][/B] [I]Kind of unofficially confirming a partnership between Ota and Phunk that had only been hinted at before[/I]. As [B][COLOR="red"]Honest Frank and Stomper[/COLOR][/B] are at the catering table backstage, [B][COLOR="Blue"]Kristen Pearce[/COLOR][/B] walks up to them and challenges them to put the belts on the line tonight against her team of [B][COLOR="blue"]American Muscle[/COLOR][/B]. Stomper replies that he has more ring experience than both her guys put together and that they accept. After Kristen leaves Frank looks at Stomper and asks "Are you crazy?" Stomper replies that they have nothing to worry about. [B][SIZE="3"]D[/SIZE][/B] [B][COLOR="Red"]Casey Valentine[/COLOR] defeated [COLOR="Blue"]Wiley Steinway[/COLOR][/B] in 4:44 [B][SIZE="3"]D[/SIZE][/B] [I]Pretty much a win to put Casey over, but Steinway stepped it up a little and made it look like these two had faced each other a hundred times rather than just this once. Valentine puts the match away with a boston crab to get the submission victory.[/I] [B][SIZE="3"]MAIN SHOW[/SIZE][/B] [B][COLOR="Red"]The Hustlers[/COLOR] defeated [COLOR="Blue"]Soul Calibur[/COLOR][/B] in 7:32 [B][SIZE="3"]E+[/SIZE][/B] The New York Doll defeated Cal Sanders by pinfall after using a foreign object. [I]Not quite as good as their previous bouts as the longer match showed some of the weaknesses the individuals still have in the ring. Still pretty even bout with the finish coming when Harris and Sammy were fighting on the outside, Sanders had climbed to the top rope to deliver a flying double axhandle to Doll in the middle of the ring and then Jakki jumped on the apron to distract the ref. Karen came to pull her down, but not before she had tossed some brass knucks to Doll behind the ref's back. Doll then nailed Sanders with the knucks in mid -air, KO'ing him and then covered Sanders for the pin.[/I] Tradtional [B][COLOR="blue"]Fern Hathaway [/COLOR][/B]crowd entertainment segment. [B][SIZE="3"]D-[/SIZE][/B] [B][COLOR="Red"]Fumihiro Ota[/COLOR] defeated [COLOR="Blue"]Coyote Dynamite[/COLOR][/B] in 3:43 [B][SIZE="3"]D[/SIZE][/B] pinfall after a Ninja Strike. [I]Giving Ota a win to regain some momentum. Ota did most of the heavy lifting in the ring , but Coyote surprised me a little by actually looking fairly smooth with Ota. Looks like they have a bit of the same chemistry that Ota and I have.[/I] [B][COLOR="blue"]American Muscle[/COLOR] defeated [COLOR="Red"]FrankenStomper[/COLOR][/B] in 3:33 [B][SIZE="3"]D-[/SIZE][/B] Honest Frank was counted out while fighting American Machine, FrankenStomper retain the NYCW Tag Team titles. [I]Kept short as neither Frank or Stomper are good for more than a quick bout before gassing. Muscle gets the win but not the titles after they throw the legal man out of the ring by mistake while all four men were fighting in the ring and get a countout victory.[/I] I come out for my pre match promo and say that [B][COLOR="red"]Grandmaster Phunk[/COLOR][/B] got lucky last month, but I will take the belt tonight, and that , with the support of all the fans, I will finally live the dream and become [B]NYCW Empire[/B] champion. [B][SIZE="3"]C+[/SIZE][/B] [I]By now a pretty standard promo reaction from the crowd for me.[/I] [B][COLOR="red"]Grandmaster Phunk[/COLOR][/B] then comes out and replies that there is no way that I will ever defeat him for the title as he has taken out an "insurance policy". He claims that once and for all, I will learn that it doesn't pay to mess with the Pimp Daddy's Bling! [B][SIZE="3"]C+[/SIZE][/B] [I]And Phunk gets his usual crowd response as well.[/I] [B][COLOR="Blue"]David Mack[/COLOR] defeated [COLOR="Red"]Grandmaster Phunk[/COLOR] [/B]in 17:42 [B][SIZE="3"]C-[/SIZE][/B] DQ victory after Fumihiro Ota runs in and attack Dragonmack. [I]Not as fast paced as last month's match overall as Phunk needed to use some rest holds to go the extra time. We drag the chase out a little more and reveal that Ota was Phunk's insurance policy to save the belt[/I]. [B][COLOR="red"]Phunk and Ota[/COLOR][/B] proceed to lay an old school beatdown on me as Phunk holds me up so Ota can nail me with a Ninja Strike (Flying forearm) and a Ninja Kick. As I am laying in the middle of the ring, barely concious, he stands over me with the belt and proceeds to taunt me with the crowd booing loudly in the background. [B][SIZE="3"]C-[/SIZE][/B] [I]And thus our main storyline is set.[/I] [B][SIZE="2"]Overall Show C-[/SIZE][/B] [I]Good Main Event and a couple of better than expected undercard matches along with better storyline continuity from the week before help get the show back to where it should be.[/I]

No backstage or contract issues for March. In the rest of the world, the wrestling news for March 2008 was [B]News:[/B] In Europe, ELPF lasted just over a year before mounting debt forced them to close their doors. A huge former college football player, Primus Allen, debuted. At 6' 4" and 315 lbs of muscle he seems to be a perfect fit for either USPW or Carl Batch's new look CZCW. And in Mexico yet another in what seems to be an endless wave of 2nd generation luchadors, La Sombra Jr , made his professional debut. Eva Berlin, former 2 time UCR Women's champion, called it quits this month. In AAA Tracy Brendon and Raven Nightfall were said to be forming a backstage alliance. CGC jumped on the PPV bandwagon after signing a deal with Canada 1 Choice. [B]Signings and Leavings:[/B] Jesse Christian made a quick jump back into action after his return by signing with SWF. GCG added some foreign talent with American Elemental and Frankie Perez for their current tour. WLW countered by adding Scout, Skull DeBones and Black Eagle for their tour. 5SSW reloaded their talent base with the big catch being Alicia Strong. AAA let go Tsuki Kawamata. [B]Title Changes:[/B] 4C saw Joey Poison 18 month reign as champion end at the hands of Barry Kingman , who has now won the 4C Championship 3 times. In what has to be viewed as an upset, Sammy Bach became the new DaVE Unified Champion by dethroning 6 time holder Eric Tyler. Jeremy and Dan Stone Jr won the Ed Henson Memorial Cup for the 2nd year running and 4th time overall. In a somewhat underwhelming match Bart Biggz defeated Lead Belly to become the inaugural SWF Television champion, despite SWF still having no television show. And in USPW , The Peter Valentine World Champion watch has ended at 10 months and 19 defenses. The new champion? The equally talented Hell's Bouncer. sigh :confused:

Archived