Championship Wrestling from Boston (C-Verse '07 Diary)

There aren't many things I remember from my childhood. Sure, there are the stories that my mom brings up over the holidays to embarass me in front of my wife. For some reason, they usually involve me being naked. Overall, though I don't have many memories of my younger days. I don't remember who my best friend in first grade was or remember why I ever bought that Quiet Riot album... ...but I do remember wrestling. I was 8 years old in 1975 when I first got turned onto Championship Wrestling from Boston. I cheered on the Boston Bomber and Iron Mike Milligan as they battled to gain the Boston Championship from the uncontrollable Wild Man Sullivan. My dad even took me to the matches a few times at The Den, which was certainly not a place for little kids now that I look back at it. I lived and breathed with my heroes from Championship Wrestling from Boston until one day in 1978, much like the Brooklyn Dodgers of the past, it just vanished. The Supreme Wrestling Federation moved in and pretty much killed the smaller territories of the area. I watched for awhile but fell out with their emphasis on entertainment over sports. I longed for the smashmouth wrestling, the technical battles and the wild brawls of my days spent glued to the set watching the CWB. What if there was a way to get it back? What if there was a way to present wrestling how I enjoyed it? What if that meant I could get other people back into it as well and create a small promotion for the Boston fans to rally around once again? What if...? I came into some money recently on a few stock trades. Nothing much. $10,000 at most but it was something. I sat down with my wife and after a long talk she gave me her blessing. I wasn't going to quit my day job just yet but it was something she could tell I really wanted to do. I had to give it a shot. It turned out that Gene Plumelli, the promotion's founder, had transferred the rights to Charles "The Boston Bomber" Davison. It took a month or so but I finally tracked down Mr. Davison (he was working security at a college in Cambridge). I offered to buy the rights to the name outright but he refused...instead he wanted to GIVE me the name! I took him up on his offer on one condition...he would be honorary Commissioner for the shows. He was thriled to be associated with the sport once again and I knew we were onto something cool. My name is Andy Hartigan. I'm the new owner of Championship Wrestling from Boston...this is where my story begins....

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So Now What? Bomber (as he told me to call him) and I met at the Sullivans for burgers and to discuss how the hell we were going to get this revival up and running. I ordered a Sam Adams with my Bacon Double Cheesburger and then remembered the reason The Bomber's career came to an abrupt end. He sensed my uneasiness and simply said, "don't worry about it, Andy. Drink what you want. No beer for the Bomber though, I'll stick with a Coke." "Make that two Cokes," I told her in a show of support with my new business partner. "I still have some connections, some guys I was friends with in the business," Bomber said. "I know Shane Sneer from when he was just breaking in. We talk here and there. I know he had a bunch of guys that worked for him in that old Southern promotion he used to own that are looking for gigs. I'll give him a call and see who he can put me in touch with." "That sounds great! I definitely have a concept in mind...I think we could fashion the roster kind of like the old one. The same archtypes for the roles. A Wild Man Sullivan-type, someone like Milligan and of course, with your blessing, someone you could help pass the torch to in the role of the new Boston Bomber." He thought for a minute and I thought he might think I was being disrespectful but then a smile came over his face. "I like that. We're not going to call someone the Boston Bomber though, are we?" I laughed, "No, no...that would be silly. We already have a Bomber right here. We just need someone to fill that role and I have the perfect person in mind..."

The Roster Takes Shape Bomber and I first started the brainstorming sessions in December of 2006 and January was moving behind us quickly. I made some calls, Bomber called in some favors and as January came to a close we had a roster of 13 wrestlers all interested in helping bring Championship Wrestling from Boston back to it's former glory. As I stated earlier, I wanted to build three top guys in the promotion from the mold of the roster that got me hooked. I figure that would be a nice nod to the history and also be a great link and springboard to the future. I found the guys: Primal Rage - A great heavyweight, psychotic brawler cut from the same cloth as Wild Man Sullivan Jesse Christian - Shane put us in touch with the On Hiatus Christian but he was still undecided. I think he would be the perfect one to fill the Iron Mike Milligan role as the big brawling, bad ass babyface (how's that for alliteration!). I haven't given up hope on him yet and he said he'll get back to me next month. And finally, the Bomber's own pick to follow in his footsteps...and a Boston College standout football player himself...Des Davids. Our starting roster looks like this: [U][B]Main Event[/B][/U] [COLOR="Blue"]Des Davids[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]Thomas Morgan (Sneer suggested him and said he was the hidden secret in wrestling) Primal Rage[/COLOR] [B][U] Upper Midcard[/U][/B] [COLOR="Blue"]Buck Graham Brady Prince (these two formed the Maryland Alliance...although that name won't fly in Boston)[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]Dazzling Dave Diamond Blackjack Robbins Whiskey Jack (he and Robbins comprise the Tennessee Outlaws and I'll probably have Diamond be their hard drinkin' mouthpiece)[/COLOR] [B][U] Midcard[/U][/B] [COLOR="Red"]"White Angel" Frankie Dee Romeo Romero (w/Vita)[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Mark Smart Tempest Appleby[/COLOR] [B][U] Lower Card[/U][/B] [COLOR="Blue"]Ben Williams[/COLOR] I contacted Biker's Paradise to see if they were interested in a show there. They were and at $200 for the hall rental, how could I refuse. I set the show for the last Sunday in February.... [SIZE="5"]Championship Wrestling from Boston presents.... Banned in Boston[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Dragonmack;276766]Amazingly enough, that is about 90% similiar to the roster I drafted for my last start from the bottom game using a product distribution that Remianen recommended. Great minds think alike, huh! :D[/QUOTE] Nice. I used a similar product to the one that Remi described although mine has a little less realism and more Cult. So we'll see. [QUOTE=ShadowedFlames]As a Maryland resident, all I can say is if that the Maryland Alliance comes out in Boston decked in full Orioles and/or Ravens gear, I will totally mark out for them! [/QUOTE] Haha! I need them as babyfaces right now but when that heel turn comes, that may just have to be a part of their act. :) [QUOTE=arwink]scurries off to put together his I smark for Mark and William's 4 teh Win signs so they're ready for the first show. Reply With Quote[/QUOTE] Just goes to show...every wrestler is someone's favorite! They won't be on the very first show though. Don't rush the signs :)

[B]Des Davids[/B] vs. Primal Rage [I]Davids probably has the most upside that you can build around, although I do see Primal Rage as the new 'Wild Man' Sullivan :D [/I] [B]Thomas Morgan[/B] vs. Tempest Appleby [I]Morgan is a solid long term guy to build around also.[/I] Finals: ??? vs. ??? [B]Davids[/B] vs Morgan [I]I see Davids taking it here, but Rage may be a fun first champion if he goes over Davids in the first round.[/I]

Des Davids vs. [B]Primal Rage[/B] [I]I think you'll go for an experienced brawler as the guy to build the shows around. Davids is a guy for the future though.[/I] [B]Thomas Morgan[/B] vs. Tempest Appleby [I]I like Appleby more, but he's nog in Morgan's league.[/I] Finals: [B]Primal Rage[/B] vs. Thomas Morgan [I]See first match.[/I]

I'm a massive lurker here, just even registered an account. But I love the C-Verse, and I followed your MAW diary from the start. (Or at least... close to the start.) But I figured I'd give some feedback, now that we're back to the start. [B] Des Davids[/B] vs. Primal Rage [I]Your face/heel seems to be strong, and with the next match being as it is, I think the face'll win here.[/I] [B]Thomas Morgan[/B] vs. Tempest Appleby [I]See above.[/I] Finals: Davids vs. [B]Morgan[/B] [I]Des isn't quite ready, plus it'll be a little odd to give the reincarnation of The Boston Bomber the title on the first show! Wouldn't a slow build fit better? Aw, what do I know, but that's what I think.[/I]

[U][B]QUICK PICKS[/B][/U] [B]Des Davids[/B] vs. Primal Rage I wasn't too sure at first, but looking at my second prediction, I'm guessing a face vs heel main event. [B]Thomas Morgan[/B] vs. Tempest Appleby I can't see a midcarder going over one of the two heel main eventers of the company (not without some buildup, anyway). Finals: [B]Des Davids[/B] vs. Thomas Morgan Tough call, since I know you're big on MAW, however, I'll go for the MAW wrestler to become the first champion.

This is how the world ends (begins), not with a bang but with a whimper [CENTER][IMG]http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r219/jkeats/CWB.jpg[/IMG] presents [FONT="Impact"][SIZE="6"]BANNED IN BOSTON[/SIZE][/FONT] Sunday, Week 4, February 2007 13 fans at Biker's Paradise in New England [I] Broadcast via internet stream at [url=http://www.johnkeating.biz]www.CWB.com[/url][/I][/CENTER] The show opens with lead announcer and Championship Wrestling from Boston owner Andy Hartigan in the middle of the ring. Hartigan: [COLOR="Green"]"Fans here in Boston and from anywhere else viewing this show on CWB.com, I welcome you to the rebirth of Championship Wrestling from Boston. You're here on the ground floor and for that, I truly thank you. We can create something special right here in The Hub and I'm really looking forward to the ride. So without further ado, let me introduce the honorary Commissioner...he is the legendary Boston Bomber!!![/COLOR] [B]D-[/B] The Bomber comes out to about as much of an applause as 13 people can give. Bomber: [COLOR="Purple"]"Thanks, Andy. When he came to me with this idea of reviving Championship Wrestling from Boston and doing it right, I wanted to be a part of it. I'll tell you right now, this guy Des Davids reminds me of myself when I was younger and in my prime. I'm honored to be a part of this."[/COLOR] [B]E- Thomas Morgan d. Tempest Appleby in 9:21[/B] The match of the night as these two came out of the gates with a classic battle of aerial vs. technician. Morgan has a great heelish way about him in his mannerisms and Tempest looked great. The match was finished off with Morgan's Eminent Domain (pedigree). [B]D-[/B] Des Davids comes to the ring: [COLOR="Blue"]"Having Championship Wrestling from Boston back and running is like a dream come true for me. I'm too young to have gotten a chance to see it in it's heyday but I've read all about it and watched the tapes. Bomber, for you to say such a thing about me inspires me like nothing else. I'm going to take the Boston Championship and I'm dedicating this win to you!"[/COLOR] [B]D[/B] Primal Rage comes to the ring, throwing chairs and scattering the very tough looking crowd at Biker's Paradise. Hartigan: [COLOR="Green"]"This man is insane...a wild man. I think Davids has got his work cut out for him to try to get by this psychopath."[/COLOR] [B]Des Davids d. Primal Rage by DQ in 8:34[/B] Just what it promised to be as Sullivan vs. Bomber 2007 begins. A wild brawl that spilled out of the ring. Rage grabbed a chair and as referee Chad Brent warned him, crashed it down across Davids' head, opening up a huge, nasty gash. Brent signals for the bell and calls for the DQ. Rage goes into a rage and starts punching Davids, opening up the cut even more. [B]E+[/B] As the officer on duty at the bar helps Davids out of the ring, Rage turns his attention to Chad Brent. He backs Brent into a corner and starts beating on the referee!! He slaps on the Silent Scream as people fight to pull him off. [B]F[/B] Thomas Morgan comes to the ring Hartigan jumps up to interview him: Hartigan: [COLOR="Green"]"We're not sure what's going to happen. Des is looking in pretty bad shape---"[/COLOR] Morgan: [COLOR="Red"]"I'll stop you right there, Hartigan. If he can't continue, too bad for him. Raise my hand right now and give me that Boston Championship! I demand it!"[/COLOR] [B]E[/B] On cue, Davids comes from the back with his head wrapped in a bloody bandage. He wants the bell to be rung and wants to fight for the title! Morgan: [COLOR="Red"]"This is ridiculous, we don't even have a referee!!"[/COLOR] The Boston Bomber rises from his seat at ringside and climbs into the ring: Bomber: [COLOR="Purple"]"Now you do...ring the bell!"[/COLOR] [B]Thomas Morgan d. Des Davids in 16:40 to win the CWB Boston Championship[/B] Morgan jumped Davids right at the bell and didn't let up, drawing some nice heat from the bar patrons. Davids fought from underneath valiantly until he couldn't take it any longer and succumbed to the Eminent Domain. Morgan wins the match and is the new Boston Champion! [B]E+[/B] Morgan celebrates with his newly won title [B]E[/B] Overall Show: [B]E+[/B] Notes: I think that was about as good as could be expected. I got the three main eventers characters over some. Luckily, my background is in computers and I was able to set up a rudimentary site for the promotion and can upload video of the hour long shows. It'll have to do until we can get some audience members and some popularity. DVD production is a long ways off.

As per usual with shipshirt diaries, I shall follow this. You're off to as good a start, as you could hope for and I absolutely love the roster. It reminds me alot of the roster I used when I revived the TWL in a game. I probably won't be replying much, since I usually don't post much on this (or any) board, but I will definately be reading. On a side note: Keep pushing that Morgan fellow. I love him. I usually like to use him as an Eddie Gilbert type, who both a weasly little prick of a manager as well as a wrestler (Morgan's in-ring stats are pretty radically different from Eddie's, though. :p ), especially while I'm a tiny promotion, which is where I always start out. It's a great way to get good matches and if you find a couple of good pairings for his clients he'll help you get better interview segment ratings as well. You get a lot of bang for your buck, which might be useful in a small promotion like CWB.

[QUOTE=ShadowedFlames;277113]Nice first show--as someone mentioned in the predictions, the Davids title win seemed apparent, given your MAW work. Nice way to make it seem dramatic, though.[/QUOTE] But...he didn't win the title! lol :) [QUOTE=ShadowedFlames;277113]ALso, kudos on bringing back the fight posters! I think that adds a touch to your threads that screams "exclusive to shipshirt."[/QUOTE] Thank you so much. And thanks to Showtime and Dragon as well for the great comments. I already feel rejuvinated and excited about this diary. I like being so small and really have to think about who I'm putting on the shows and how much I can spend (that's the reason Tempest was in the tournament and not Whiskeyjack or Dazzlin' Dave...he works cheap...PLUS he puts on a hell of a show and had the match of the night). It really challenges my creativity and that's when I fall in love with this game. Plus, having it set in Boston helps :)

Archived