the ability to develope chemisty:

I like the idea of some system that gives the player some influence over chemistry. The only drawback I see is that unless it is still hit and miss in some fashion, it would be extremely easy to exploit........ex. I really want that Big Smack Scott v Mikel Alonso feud to get great ratings so I'll put them into dark matches every day for 2 months and then bam they get A* on TV. Remember, Adam generally sides against a suggestion that is not well fleshed out and only has a positive effect. If we can come up with some ideas for pros and cons to being able to have an effect on worker chemistry we may well get to do so.

I think this is already reflected pretty well in 07 with the workers improving. Even if they have poor chemistry, they will gradually put on better and better matches with one another just by sheer practice. For example, Hell Monkey and Troy Tornado have poor chemistry in my TCW game, but they've been wrestling together now for several months and while they started with having B and B- matches, now they are having B+ matches together.

[QUOTE=brat99;368310]I like the idea of some system that gives the player some influence over chemistry. The only drawback I see is that unless it is still hit and miss in some fashion, it would be extremely easy to exploit........ex. I really want that Big Smack Scott v Mikel Alonso feud to get great ratings so I'll put them into dark matches every day for 2 months and then bam they get A* on TV. Remember, Adam generally sides against a suggestion that is not well fleshed out and only has a positive effect. If we can come up with some ideas for pros and cons to being able to have an effect on worker chemistry we may well get to do so.[/QUOTE] I'll give you some downsides. Frustration. Impatience. The worker not understanding what you're trying to achieve. Maybe a worker who's Bitter starts griping about the attempt to build the chemistry because they feel its another typical waste of their talent. Or an Egomaniac may feel like he doesn't need the work because he's so darn good already. So his frustration affects his relationship with either you, the other worker, or both. Where maybe a Professional is more likely to go with the flow and trying to build that chemistry that doesn't come naturally.

[QUOTE=shamelessposer;368333]Chemistry with another worker is something you either have or you don't. The entire concept of developing chemistry goes against the idea of having the feature in the game at all.[/QUOTE] I won't disagree with you at all, but there is no other description in the game of how workers may or may not work with each other. You would have to agree that there is going to be some improvement in the results if workers continue to work together frequently. You are right, it may not be the chemistry that is actually improving, but something definately would. Unless two workers had just horrible chemistry with each other (assume neutral chemistry), wouldn't they eventually begin to work better with each other if paired up often?

[QUOTE=Sigilistic;368313]I think this is already reflected pretty well in 07 with the workers improving. Even if they have poor chemistry, they will gradually put on better and better matches with one another just by sheer practice. For example, Hell Monkey and Troy Tornado have poor chemistry in my TCW game, but they've been wrestling together now for several months and while they started with having B and B- matches, now they are having B+ matches together.[/QUOTE] I think Sigilstic is correct, I think simply because workers improve over time and by working with superior opponents that their styles sort of start to click a bit better over time but you cannot really predict how it will work. I don't like the idea of just some basic, sure-fire way to improve chemistry between two workers however. Where would the fun be in that? It would just be a matter of doing the same thing over and over again until you get a better rating for it ... no drawbacks and it doesn't encourage interesting gameplay. It'd be just like every boring RPG where you repeat a task to level up so you get slightly better at doing the exact same task.

"Chemistry with another worker is something you either have or you don't. The entire concept of developing chemistry goes against the idea of having the feature in the game at all." I am currently reading the Bret Hart book recently released. In it, he talks about how he and Mr. Perfect needed to work on their matches and get used to their timing. Its rare for 2 guys to have a match together for the first time and really be able to go at it since their timing will be all over the place. Maybe this idea needs to be flushed out more, but simply dismissing it i think is rather unrealistic. So lets flush it out then shall we? So say Bret Hart and Mr. Perfect are both about to wrestle for the first time(i am using this pairing as its fresh in my mind). Bret knows he can get a wonderful match out of a guy like Curt, he's got the same basic style as Bret. Curt tends to chain wrestle more and flow more in the ring. Their time is off for some of the spots/chain wrestling, simply because they are new opponents. The first match comes back decent(Bret gave it an average rating in his book). The next night they are working in New York at a house show. During the day, they plan out their match more, doing the same basic spots. This match comes off slightly better because they have better timing now. So, maybe chemisty should be left alone, and a new stat should be added called "gelling" or something like that. The "gelling" stat would increase as they had more matches together, or if they where friends/family. The downside to having a lot of matches with the same opponent is that your stats wont increase by the same amount doing the same thing every night. So now you have two choices: have 2 workers work on their timing and allow them to have really good matches with eachother OR work them with more people and have them turn out slightly better matches each week. EDIT: Also, this could also be use for trainers/road agents/booking team more in 08. The booking team could keep track of this for you, telling when 2 opponents are really getting the hang of eachother. House show matches would also mean a little more besides the normal "do they make good opponents/team?". Would allow the player to book house show match ups to help boost their pay off match or train some more by facing other opponents at house shows.

Again the point of "chemistry" is that it is either there or it isn't. Either the match flows naturally with both workers clicking like clockwork, or their neutral, or maybe they just can't get on the same page and are constantly stepping on each others toes. Chemistry doesn't need to be there to put on a good match, I've seen A matches out of wrestlers with poor chemistry, and F+ matches out of wrestlers who have excellent chemistry. Chemistry is just one of those intangible factors that plays a role in overall matches, but it's not the ONLY thing coming into play. As for your "gelling" trait they already have that with Tag Team experience, which is much more valid then against an opponent. Selling is also your "gelling" trait, the ability to make the other guy look good. Finally, tracking experience between two workers would severely clog the database. There are over 1,000 workers, and to track their "experience" with every single other character they come into contact with would cause the database to flip the user the finger and refuse to come into work for the rest of the week.

[QUOTE=shamelessposer;368333]Chemistry with another worker is something you either have or you don't. The entire concept of developing chemistry goes against the idea of having the feature in the game at all.[/QUOTE] exactly. You can't train guys to "click". They just do. It's not something you can control.

[QUOTE=takertitan;368350] So, maybe chemisty should be left alone, and a new stat should be added called "gelling" or something like that. The "gelling" stat would increase as they had more matches together, or if they where friends/family. The downside to having a lot of matches with the same opponent is that your stats wont increase by the same amount doing the same thing every night. So now you have two choices: have 2 workers work on their timing and allow them to have really good matches with eachother OR work them with more people and have them turn out slightly better matches each week. EDIT: Also, this could also be use for trainers/road agents/booking team more in 08. The booking team could keep track of this for you, telling when 2 opponents are really getting the hang of eachother. House show matches would also mean a little more besides the normal "do they make good opponents/team?". Would allow the player to book house show match ups to help boost their pay off match or train some more by facing other opponents at house shows.[/QUOTE] I don't think that downside is anywhere near sufficient for something like this. The only way that I could see this be feasible (in the game) is if there was some kind of random dice roll before every match that the workers had, to decide if the crowd had had enough of seeing the two guys fight. eg During Cena's first title reign, he feuded with Kurt Angle for pretty much an entire year. After about 4-5 months, I got totally sick and tired of seeing them fighting - so in my eyes, their matches sucked from then on - so would have a much reduced rating. What this would also do, is stop the player just repeating the same old show, over and over, cos they know it gives good ratings. I'm sure the response to this would be "what if you happen to get that "wrong" dice roll after the first match?" Well, maybe the "burnt out-ness factor" between two wrestlers would slowly go away over time - in my above example, I wouldn't have a problem seeing Cena-Angle v75 NOW, because they haven't fought for 2+ years etc.

I think chemistry is being slightly misunderstood here - if you have poor chemistry, it doesn't mean that you can't run a good match, it isn't something that's going to be noticeable all the time. The only reason I knew that Mathew Gauge and Hugh de Aske had poor chemistry was because my Road Agent told me so - the "B" rating that they garnered showed that they managed to get past this, and put on a decent match. Wrestlers who work together constantly often will already see their match ratings increase, as their skills increase. It doesn't mean that they lost their bad chemistry, it's now that they are better equipped to get over it.

[QUOTE=Michael Wayne;368381]exactly. You can't train guys to "click". They just do. It's not something you can control.[/QUOTE] Yeah, I tend to agree with this. Given time a lot of guys can learn to work well with another guy, but chemistry is still something you have or you don't. It's like Flair/Steamboat. Those two had amazing chemistry that made their matches so much better. It wasn't something they sad down and consciously worked on, they just had it.

[QUOTE=hulkamaniac;368547]Yeah, I tend to agree with this. Given time a lot of guys can learn to work well with another guy, but chemistry is still something you have or you don't. It's like Flair/Steamboat. Those two had amazing chemistry that made their matches so much better. It wasn't something they sad down and consciously worked on, they just had it.[/QUOTE] Just look at The Rock and Stone Cold. Rock had plenty of great matches with guys like Hunter and Taker etc, but he stated numerous times that he had such great chemistry with Austin, and it showed, and the matches were far more memorable because of it.

Archived