Top 20 matches of 2007

jbergey_2005

A lot of love for Cena. I agree with the #1 choice. Not a lot of people commented on that match in this forum but I thought that match was great. I wish the Soman bulldozer hadnt lost some silly matches so he could still be thought of as the same way he was prior to this match. [url]http://www.wrestleview.com/news2006/1203389993.shtml[/url]

Hmmm . . . I dunno, I kinda dismiss that list since there are so many WWE matches on there. WWE just is not [i]that[/i] great in the matches department. I think most midcard ROH matches even are superior to most WWE main events. A few exceptions, but I doubt WWE has had even all that many "top ten" matches in the last decade, and definitely not "the" best match of any given year. All the love there for Cena makes me wanna puke. :(

I think lists "voted" on by people are always going to be slanted towards wwe. I will have to admit that the matches voted best were good match *i am sureprised dragon vs nigil was so high*. The cena vs umaga match i will admit was a very well done and entertaining match *match of the year no, but still good*

[QUOTE=DreamGoddessLindsey;374849]Hmmm . . . I dunno, I kinda dismiss that list since there are so many WWE matches on there. WWE just is not [i]that[/i] great in the matches department. I think most midcard ROH matches even are superior to most WWE main events. A few exceptions, but I doubt WWE has had even all that many "top ten" matches in the last decade, and definitely not "the" best match of any given year. All the love there for Cena makes me wanna puke. :([/QUOTE] Allot of people don't really like the spot monkey fest type match's. Myself, I don't mind some gymnastics if it doesn't look obviously like "Ok, I done my spot, now it's your turn to do yours" type of thing. I'm more of a fan of believability and technical type match's. Not everyone's cup of tea, especially people that love to see someone like Rey Mysterio beat Big Show, or someone similar. Myself, I love Mysterio and love it when he wins, but believable to me, NOPE. I haven't looked at the list, so I might aggree with you on that point. Just wanted to point out that ROH might seem exciting to quite a few people, and sometimes they do put on the type of match's I think are great, but spotfests generally don't interest me... ALthough I love them in tag match's for some reason, lol.

[QUOTE=AfRoMaN36;374973]I hate to sound like a Cena-Hater, but why does Cena get like all 20 spots but Morrison vs CM Punk for the ECW title on Sci Fi get snubbed? I KNEW the ending and it was still the best match I had seen this year.[/QUOTE] Totally, insanely agree. I love that match.

I found it a bit strange that 3 ROH matches were voted in a long with 3 New Japan matches. Its obvious the voters has some knowledge of wrestling other than WWE. John Cena had a great year its hard to deny it. His improvement from 06 to 07 was remarkable IMO. I could easily see the Hardy/HBK match from Raw a couple weeks ago making the 08 top 20.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;374892]Allot of people don't really like the spot monkey fest type match's. Myself, I don't mind some gymnastics if it doesn't look obviously like "Ok, I done my spot, now it's your turn to do yours" type of thing. I'm more of a fan of believability and technical type match's. Not everyone's cup of tea, especially people that love to see someone like Rey Mysterio beat Big Show, or someone similar. Myself, I love Mysterio and love it when he wins, but believable to me, NOPE. I haven't looked at the list, so I might aggree with you on that point. Just wanted to point out that ROH might seem exciting to quite a few people, and sometimes they do put on the type of match's I think are great, but spotfests generally don't interest me... ALthough I love them in tag match's for some reason, lol.[/QUOTE] I would say ROH has more technical matches than WWE will ever think of having. I like many types of matches, the style isn't really the biggest problem with WWE. My biggest problem is that the matches are just too dull usually. Gimme Bryan Danielson over John Cena any day. Best wrestlers in WWE right now are Paul Birchill and CM Punk, and they've both been gimped by the WWE method of running a match.

For me, a truly great match will be dramatic and skilful. To that end, the LMS match at Royal Rumble was an outstanding match. I watched an awful lot of wrestling last year, and it was right up there with the best. I was delighted to see the Cena/Lashley match on there, as I though it was a tremendous tussle. In saying that, however, I'm amazed that it made it in ahead of Hardy/Umaga from the same show - it may have been a bit formulaic, but for me it was one of the top five WWE matches of the year. The Orton/Cena match from Summerslam has me baffled, though - I just don't get what people see in it. Maybe I'll dig it up this week and have a rewatch. I didn't see as much TNA as I would have liked, but Harris/Storm was very good indeed. Better than anything Joe/Christian/Angle put out there, though? Hmm... Still, all lists are subjective, and there are some brilliant matches on there. I don't remember the Rumble match as being especially good, although the last ten minutes were pure quality I guess. The Orton/Michaels match at Survivor Series is well worth its high finish as well.

You know it'd be nice if a system could be set up so that... 1) a ton of matches are selected to be choices.... and 2) You have to sign up and WATCH a match before you rank it.... Some of these "top 20" aren't even as good as what I saw on Impact last week... marks scare me sometimes.

[QUOTE=Ransik;375605]You know it'd be nice if a system could be set up so that... 1) a ton of matches are selected to be choices.... and 2) You have to sign up and WATCH a match before you rank it.... Some of these "top 20" aren't even as good as what I saw on Impact last week... marks scare me sometimes.[/QUOTE] And what match was so good on Impact last week? Them matches would be on the 08 list, this was a 07 list. IMO opinion TNA matches lately have been of poor quality(spotfest, run-ins, lack of psychology ) plus with that silly ring I have a hard time taking them seriously.

tbh i thought 2007 was a terrible year especiially when you need to lit a top twenty is matches as far as U.S mainstream i am hard pressed to really pick from WWE or TNA. I think i have mostly enjoyed British, Japanese and Smaller indy fed events which i have dloaded to me there as been better quality matches been put out here in the UK in Kent in front of like 80 people then was the WWE has put out in front of ten upon ten's of thousands of people. Cena/ HBK on Raw was pretty good i suppose i am not a Cena hater by any means just kinda hate the way WWE force feed Wrestling fans to enjoy him its way to much overkill. Jeff Hardy has been the main man this year imo he as had a string of impressive matches and to me is the WWE's MVP of the year. As far as HHH goes i like him and everything but he has yet imo to deliver a top qualiity match maybe the Hardy match at Armagedon was cool but still that's just one match since Summerslam which has been impressive.

Archived