• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote=panix04;428458]Slightly biast, but Mick Foley does qualify in the editor, but only if you grant him iconic status, which i guess is a contentious point. Here is why: 3 WWE titles [B][U][I]4 headlining events one at mania, two at the royal rumble and one at summerslam[/I][/U][/B] 2 showstealing matches (match of the year winner acording to PWI) And the national Icon, which is I said is arguable, but he did transcend the sport with his books, plus he appeared on boy meets world - now thats iconic![/quote] 5 headlining events [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_Havoc#1993[/url] [quote=soundsofsilver;428654]For WCW, I would say the top events were obviously Starrcade and Bash at the Beach (due to Hogan vs. Flair and the nWo matches alone), along with SuperBrawl, Great American Bash, and [U][I][B]Halloween Havoc[/B][/I][/U]. Fall Brawl was a pretty big PPV, but never really featured World Title matches.[/quote]

[QUOTE=paulskln;429401]when asked the question "who is steve austin?" my wife replied was he the six million dollar man...when asked who is hulk hogan...she says he is in the series "hogan knows best".she dont have a clue who andre the giant is...she knows the rock from movies...the only wrestlers she knows because of wrestling are big daddy and giant haystacks lol...so only the fat old brits get in our hall of immortals...[/QUOTE] sounds like sheer ignorance to me. Take my mother for example, who lived in a household of wrestling fans and couldn't stand it. Yet she knowns who all those guys are. Do you watch wrestling in secret?

[QUOTE=sprinklefurball;429546]Quick question... What about Clash of the Champions would that be historic?[/QUOTE] I wouldnt say so. It was a good show although not a pay per view but I dont think it was historic or legendary. I used to love watching that though when they showed them I think on a wednesday.

[QUOTE=sprinklefurball;429546]Quick question... What about Clash of the Champions would that be historic?[/QUOTE] I wouldn't say the event itself is historic or legendary, but Sting and Flair should both get credit for a legendary match for Clash I...

CoTC was basically an answer to Saturday Night's Main Event. I wouldn't consider them historic events. At the same time, I'm not sure I consider headlining Halloween Havoc, Royal Rumble, or Bash at the Beach to be worth a point toward the Hall of Immortals. How many SWF/TCW events are listed as historic or legendary?

[QUOTE=Michael Wayne;429366]wrestling fans would say otherwise. And seriously.. You're following Meltzer on this issue? The guy with a fetish for ladder matches and who gives out 5* ratings like it's going out of style? I'm sorry, but Bret/Shawn is a classic. Bret/Owen is not. And is always rated not only by WWE fans, but by WWE themselves as one of the top 10 greatest matches of all time.[/QUOTE] That would be because WWE don't want to admit that, on their biggest PPV of the year, they booked a one-hour draw almost completely lacking in drama that bored most fans to death. And then, having booked said draw, they insulted everyone by adding an overtime period which completely dumped on the concept of the 'sixty minutes - there must be a winner' concept. I've never yet managed to sit through the whole thing in one showing. I consider that HHH/Rock at Judgment Day 2000 was vastly superior, as was the Angle/Lesnar match on SmackDown in... 2003?. Nonetheless, Bret Hart, for all his various accomplishments (including those in WCW, yes. I never said it was an exhaustive list :p), should probably be in the HOI. The only argument I could make would be this: How far can you count his achievements if the WWF in his era didn't count as a Major promotion? I know that Adam has said that historical figures have to be judged relatively, but the WWF in 93-97 was not at the size and popularity that it's at even now, let alone 98-01. As for the Daddy/Austin comparison... At the risk of repeating myself, Daddy was hugely over in the UK, it's true - but that's not enough to qualify someone for a HOI slot. He was the UK Hogan, but it's telling that the rise of the WWF in the UK (1989 onwards) effectively killed off the WoS style of wrestling in the UK. It was already on its last legs, but it was not long after that it was pulled from TV. Could Daddy make it into the HOI? Sure - [I]anyone[/I] can if the modder wants them in. But if we're talking about the true elite of wrestling... Well, only if we're talking about a national elite. The UK has (in my opinion) never turned out anyone who's had the impact on the business that even someone like Ricky Steamboat or Arn Anderson has had - let alone an Austin or Hogan. Now, if Dynamite Kid had stayed healthy... :p

[QUOTE=James Casey;429680]That would be because WWE don't want to admit that, on their biggest PPV of the year, they booked a one-hour draw almost completely lacking in drama that bored most fans to death. And then, having booked said draw, they insulted everyone by adding an overtime period which completely dumped on the concept of the 'sixty minutes - there must be a winner' concept. I've never yet managed to sit through the whole thing in one showing. I consider that HHH/Rock at Judgment Day 2000 was vastly superior, as was the Angle/Lesnar match on SmackDown in... 2003?.[/QUOTE] Fair points, I was surprised my Girlfriend sat through and enjoyed it all, when she was watching the Shawn Micahels - From the Vault DVD when I was introducing her to wrestling. Personally, I don't mind the match, though I can understand why people might not like it - especially with the slight 'swerve'.

While the quality of the Michaels/Hart is subjective (though I loved it), there can be no doubt that it's an iconic match. Whenever you think to that period of wrestling, that match, for better or worse), will stick in everyone's minds. Therefore it should count.

As someone who only got into wrestling in this decade, I've got to say that as far as everyone in Australia was concerned, there were 3 wrestlers. Steve Austin, The Rock and Hulk Hogan. And possibly the Undertaker. Mankind and Triple H were a stretch. Everyone knows who Stone Cold is. I've never heard of those two British guys, even though I'm a wrestling fan now. Actually, I think I saw Haystacks in the 'Other Workers' screen once.

Holy crap this thread is going to go on forever.. Folks, the HOI.. due to the ability to add people circumventing the "requirements" for entry under normal circumstances, says to me the Hall Of Immortals is like 55% opinion based. So this unceasing discussion of "who deserves to be in" in terms of competitors from the real world is a moot point.. ANYONE could be in if the user feels they should. I could download a real world mod in a few months and put Funaki in the damn thing if I really wanted to. There's no point going over every possible circumstances and performer.. it's each users opinion and a couple clicks of their finger in the end.

[QUOTE=sprinklefurball;429715]Imagine if the hardcore title were a world title lol :eek: quick question: TNA World Title WWECW Title ECW Title Would any of these count?[/QUOTE] From el Wikipedia [QUOTE]World Heavyweight titles Pro Wrestling Illustrated has granted world title status to the following promotions: National Wrestling Alliance, World Wrestling Entertainment (and its previous names), Total Nonstop Action Wrestling, American Wrestling Association (now defunct, and not to be confused with post-1991 versions of the AWA, though PWI considers their championships to be a single title), Extreme Championship Wrestling (now defunct, and not to be confused with the WWE version of ECW, though their championships are the same title) and World Championship Wrestling (now defunct). PWI currently recognizes two world championships in the WWE and differentiates them as the WWE RAW World Championship (currently the WWE Championship) and the WWE SmackDown! World Championship (currently the World Heavyweight Championship). Also the ECW Championship is currently only given world title status from 1999 to 2001 and the NWA Championship from 1948 to 1991 and again from 2002 to 2007.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=sprinklefurball;429715] quick question: TNA World Title WWECW Title ECW Title Would any of these count?[/QUOTE] As Ping just pointed out, you can include just whoever you want in the HoI. If you want Barry Horowitz and Duane Gill to be in it, it's fine, you can have them in. There's no need to try and find justifications for it, by listing how many times Joe McWhatsisname won the TNA X-Division title or how many times Random Midcarder was in the main event match of [I]ECW on Sci-Fi[/I], and trying to get other people to agree with you on what counts as a major achievement that makes a wrestler "Immortal".

[QUOTE=Grimmas;429788]Here's a question for Adam. So in the editor for the HOI you give the guys all the past dues and only the new achievements he gets during gametime add to it? Title histories don't play a part do they?[/QUOTE] As I understood the title histories won't count as there is no proof that what "level" the title had when it was held by the wrestler. There is no way to know if the title could be considered a major championship.

Archived