gimmicks not race related

i was going through the editor and noticed that every gimmick was available to every reace type. This does not make sense for gimmicks such as cowboy (WWE Jimmy WAng Yang with standing), Indian, latino heat and other gimmicks. Is this an error in the database? Also how from the roster screen can you see race off the wrestler?

It's the wrestling world. Race/Nationality don't matter with gimmicks. In the WWE alone, white guys have been Asians, Somoans have been Middle Easterners, etc. Yokozuna played a Japanese sumo and he wasn't Japanese at all, he was Somoan. Barry Darsow played a Russian for a while too.

I think that the reason he has asked this question is due to the fact that adam mentioned it specifically in the Dev Journal, but it isnt actually used in the game. I do agree that its not necisary anyway...just thought id clarify why i think he is asking

The way I see it, even though he wanted the feature to be in the game to add more depth, Adam Ryland didn't want to use it himself because he knew that it would just start dozens of endless silly arguments on the boards here. "How dare you say that middle-eastern people can't use this or that? That's so racist!" "Hey, why is it that the Braveheart gimmick isn't suitable for Asians? I mean, hello? Roddy Piper? He's not really from Scotland at all, he's Canadian!" "I noticed that according to you, black people can't play a Native American character. This is just so stupid. Jay Strongbow was actually Italian, you know?"

[QUOTE=Greg2511;433751]I think that the reason he has asked this question is due to the fact that adam mentioned it specifically in the Dev Journal, but it isnt actually used in the game.[/QUOTE] It is used (sparingly) in the actual retail release.

Maybe you're all missing the point slightly here... An Asian guy playing a Cowboy isn't all that spectacular. I mean, just because you're Asian doesn't mean you have to be the Karate Kid or a Ninja. Yang being a good example, obviously, but he's hardly the only one. Sonny Siaki, possibly the world's smallest Samoan guy, played Elvis fahgawdsake. :p I think it's more there to represent the fact that no matter how much he might want to, a Black guy won't make much of a Viking, or a white guy would be a fairly poor Sucka. Could you imagine an Asian guy playing a Comrade? Etc, etc. In other words, some gimmicks just ARE race-specific. It's sort of hard to look like a pale, blonde-haired Norseman when you're African-American. Some races have distinctive characteristics that mean that they can't play certain characters. When you need an Italian-American Mafia Don for a movie, you don't ask Morgan Freeman, no matter how good an actor he may be. Similarly, when you need someone to play a streetwise gang leader from Brooklyn, Al Pacino is possibly not going to be your first choice. It's not racism, it's common sense :p

[QUOTE=alanreao;434133]Common sense has no place in wrestling. According to Mick Foley's book he worked for a promoter who had a black guy playing a Russian.[/QUOTE] And I'm sure the fans readily accepted the gimmick. Just because it happened doesn't disprove that it's a horrible idea.

[QUOTE=D-Lyrium;434068]Maybe you're all missing the point slightly here... An Asian guy playing a Cowboy isn't all that spectacular. I mean, just because you're Asian doesn't mean you have to be the Karate Kid or a Ninja. Yang being a good example, obviously, but he's hardly the only one. Sonny Siaki, possibly the world's smallest Samoan guy, played Elvis fahgawdsake. :p I think it's more there to represent the fact that no matter how much he might want to, a Black guy won't make much of a Viking, or a white guy would be a fairly poor Sucka. Could you imagine an Asian guy playing a Comrade? Etc, etc. In other words, some gimmicks just ARE race-specific. It's sort of hard to look like a pale, blonde-haired Norseman when you're African-American. Some races have distinctive characteristics that mean that they can't play certain characters. When you need an Italian-American Mafia Don for a movie, you don't ask Morgan Freeman, no matter how good an actor he may be. Similarly, when you need someone to play a streetwise gang leader from Brooklyn, Al Pacino is possibly not going to be your first choice. It's not racism, it's common sense :p[/QUOTE] I don't disagree with you. Certain gimmicks should have restrictions for their workability. The problem is that some people are taking this as "only a native american can play a native american" and on down the line. They need to understand that Chief Jay Strongbow wasn't native American, Ricky Steamboat wasn't Hawaiin, and Nikita Koloff wasn't a Russian.

I asked the question, becuase it was a feature in the dev journal yet seems to not be used much in the game. Also while Asians can play a cowboy etc, it normally changes the gimmick, for example it makes Yang more of a comedy gimmick then if someone like Cowboy Bob Orton played it. That was why i was curious

Archived