seriously...how many times has this been done? (WWE)

Franchise22

I dvr'd raw and watched most of it. saw the announced main event of tag champs vs batista/cena for the gold.... i didnt even need to watch to KNOW the end result..... Really? again? how many times has this stupid story been used in the last handful of years alone? "oh we're bitter enemies, now we are champs, how will we coexsit, oh nooooooesssss" cena alone has done this same crap twice (with michaels last year). im a WWE fan and this really pisses me off.......

I think a second wow needs to be said about dave and jon getting the titles. Dumb move. Just a cheap ploy to add some more heat to the match. Frankly, I am sick of the champs feuding storyline. They have done it 3 times in the last two years now. Cena/HBK, MVP/Matt Hardy, and now again. I really don't like it and I think Rhodes and Dibease were getting some good heat and character development with the belts.

Guest Ransik
Soon as the Main Event was announced I started watching Forensic Files.... knew it was coming. After seeing what they've done to Punk's Title reign.... and now what they've done to Simply Priceless.... the two steps forward they took over a month ago, they took about 5 steps backwards last night... 2 steps for the burial of the Tag Champs... 1 step for putting another Title on Batista... 1 more for having Punk look weak again... and 1 more for rehashing an angle less than a year old. Add Adamle's horrid mic work in the opening... I'll skip a few weeks and hope this Wrestlecrap goes away. I was really enjoying WWE last month... now they're showing signs of WCW 2000 again.

I would say I agree with all of those points except for one (kind of). I agree with you that it sucks that they have been making Punk look "weak" but let's face it, the WWE crowd just wouldn't accept Punk going over guys like Batista, Cena, and JBL. I mean if they learned anything from Cena's rapid rise to the top it is that by giving a good worker so much so early you really generate a lot of scorn from the fans and I give them credit for trying to avoid any negativity towards Punk. I thought the triple threat was very good an actually I felt that Punk came out looking better for it. I mean there were a lot of really close calls where it looked like Punk would do it and the crowd was really into the match and really behind Punk, which is definitely a positive. **Side note- if anyone heard that recently HHH said HBK needs to go heel so he can teach Punk how to work, last night was a prime example of HHH needing to put a a sock in it because Punk and Jericho (whom H also isn't fond of) put on an absolute clinic that had the audience by the throats.** I am absolutely sick of the tag champs are enemies angle and especially with big stars involved in it. Let's recall they also did it with Miz and Morrison so that makes 4 in the last two years. I didn't mind it with those two or with Hardy, MVP as badly because it helped those guys momentum a little bit. Cena and Batista really need no more and I don;t think it really helps the Slam match all that much. It does much more harm than good (as Ransik said) as they killed the recent success they had with Ted and Cody. Now I wonder what the heck is in store for those two... It almost doesn't even make sense for them to have a rematch where Cena/Batista argue and Rhodes and Dibiase steal the belts back, it would just be lame...

I agree with the tag champs/feud thing. It's been done over and over and over again in WWE history and it's getting to the point where it doesn't carry the same "feeling" that it use to. It's come to a point where it's become over-done and really predictable (I think everyone saw the match ending coming). For a second, I thought they may put over the 2nd Generation team by having them beat Cena & Batista... Only... because the WWE would make it look like they couldn't get along at all... Having them sabotage their chance (which would have been better and would have given the 2nd generation team a rub), however, they just took the momentum that the team had and crapped all over it. As for the rest of RAW: * I want to like Adamle... Mostly because that they are pushing him as they are. However, I can't seem to get behind the guy at all. "An Adamle Original" is something that has already become an annoying phrase to hear & I'm sure it will continue on and on as people continue to "not care". * I actually like the way they are pushing Punk. I don't want him to be a "legit threat" as in a realistic way... He wouldn't have a shot to really brawl it out with the big guys... Rather using his luck & psychology of the game to get around them. It would be cool to see the WWE allow his technical side to be focused on a little more however... Pushing him in a "Bret Hart" esk kind of way... Showing that while he may not be a big guy... He can get the job done by physically breaking his opponents down limb by limb. Could be cool. *I LOVE Jericho. I was always a fan of his growing up, but I'm really liking the new "serious" Jericho. I love the dressed up.. Scruffy persona... However... I hate his new ring attire. It looks awkward. I don't know if it's because i'm use to his pants... however... I'm just not a fan of watching any guy wear those things. I'd love to see Jericho add some more people to his alliance though.

Having Batista and Cena with the belts... My jaw dropped. Why the heck would they do that? I figured Cody and Dibiase would get over from the ongoing fighting between the two. The only way to "fix" it in my eyes, is to make them a Legitimate team. I don't believe for a minute that they would, as I would not... They have the full capability to carry on a feud between the two, that they don't need title's to "draw". However, if they actually kiss and make up after Summer Slam, and take the belts seriously, there might be reason to do this. A feud between them two and Cody and Dibiase (for one), could really do the younger stars some good, especially if they go over cleanly (or even not so clean, as they are the Heels). I'm thinking Batista/Mysterio vs. MNM rehash... Something else that's been done. If this is going to be a wash and repeat of HBK/Cena, then I am not going to like this at all. The Jericho and JBL vs. CM Punk in a 2 vs 1 match, I thought it was great. Not only did Punk come out looking good, but JBL is the one that won by "Fluke". It was perfectly believable that Punk would either win, or they would not be getting a pin on him.. Fact, I thought there was NOT going to be a pin from the last minute to 4 seconds before the match ended. JBL "Falling" onto Punk from what Jericho did, was not a "Clean" win. It was purposely made to look like a "Fluke", and both Jericho and JBL was able to bring a completely believable match, and make Punk look great in the process. I honestly can't think of anything else to complain about in the show. I thought Adamle did alot better in this position then he did the Announcer's table to be honest. I also thought there were a couple of times when he had great timing as well. The only thing I can complain about right now is Cody and Ted losing the title's. CTC looked as though they were still together (showing them together yacking it up). I'm still finding that interesting, wondering who else might be pulled into that faction. Kofi looked great. Micky James looked great. I am fine with the rest of the show I believe. EDIT: I'm interested in seeing them have Punk go over JBL at Summer Slam. Especially since JBL just kicked Cena's butt in the last PPV. This should help legitimize him, and I love the fact that they are all talking about him being a "Paper" champ (announcer's mainly, saying the locker room refer's to him as such). Him beating JBL will undoubtly help the believability in him going over one of the "Big" two (Batista or Cena). I'm counting on his luck keeping him with the belt for a bit longer.

I don't think it buried Rhodes & Dibiase at all. Having a young, inexperienced team, lose against John Cena and Batista, two of the (kayfabe alert) best wrestlers in the WWE is perfectly reasonable. As long as Cody & Ted don't fade into obscurity, as long as they stay on the microphone, perhaps hassling the new champions, their star will continue to rise. Albeit perhaps a little slower. I agree this enemy-tag-champions thing has been done a lot, but there aren't that many different stories you can do in wrestling. With 5 hours of TV a week to fill, you're going to repeat yourself. If this situation increase interest in their Summerslam match, then all power to it. Although I will say, in general, I don't like main event players getting involved in the tag division. I would have liked Punk to have gotten a little more offense in the handicap match, and perhaps the finish could have not made Jericho look like a fool, but otherwise good. Jericho doesn't really have the legs for the short trunks, but it's a more grown up look, so it fits the gimmick. Adamle did okay. Nothing disasterous. He's getting a reaction from the crowd, which is good.

[QUOTE=Self;475259] Adamle did okay. Nothing disasterous. He's getting a reaction from the crowd, which is good.[/QUOTE] I was impressed with the first few minutes of the show, to be honest. I was actually shocked at the reaction he was getting then, and throughout the show. How many times can people boo or cheer the same man talking in one night? When Kane comes to the ring next Monday to show whats in the bag, you think he's going to come out with the mask already on and scare Adamle away?

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;475260] When Kane comes to the ring next Monday to show whats in the bag, you think he's going to come out with the mask already on and scare Adamle away?[/QUOTE] Can you really see the big chap handing over his bag to a guy like Adamle? If WWE want to book Kane properly then it should take the entire heel locker room to pry that bag from his hands, much like it took to get 'Taker in the casket against Yokozuna.

[QUOTE=Blasphemywebleed;475263]Can you really see the big chap handing over his bag to a guy like Adamle? If WWE want to book Kane properly then it should take the entire heel locker room to pry that bag from his hands, much like it took to get 'Taker in the casket against Yokozuna.[/QUOTE] Should be a fun moment. Kane in the ring, fire coming from the posts, and Mike Adamle marching down and demanding the bag... The way it is in my head, I'll be giggling like a schoolgirl.

[QUOTE=Self;475259]I don't think it buried Rhodes & Dibiase at all. Having a young, inexperienced team, lose against John Cena and Batista, two of the (kayfabe alert) best wrestlers in the WWE is perfectly reasonable. As long as Cody & Ted don't fade into obscurity, as long as they stay on the microphone, perhaps hassling the new champions, their star will continue to rise. Albeit perhaps a little slower. I agree this enemy-tag-champions thing has been done a lot, but there aren't that many different stories you can do in wrestling. With 5 hours of TV a week to fill, you're going to repeat yourself. If this situation increase interest in their Summerslam match, then all power to it. Although I will say, in general, I don't like main event players getting involved in the tag division. I would have liked Punk to have gotten a little more offense in the handicap match, and perhaps the finish could have not made Jericho look like a fool, but otherwise good. Jericho doesn't really have the legs for the short trunks, but it's a more grown up look, so it fits the gimmick. Adamle did okay. Nothing disasterous. He's getting a reaction from the crowd, which is good.[/QUOTE] It doesn't bury Priceless to lose to two main eventers, it buries them to take away their heat. (kayfabe alert :p) There's no money in heel's chasing a title. But, there is money in two young smug champions asking to get their butts kicked. But now that Cena and Batista did it, who cares. I completely agree about Adamle though, he did all right. I liked the opening segment untill "grown-up Jericho" started arguing like a child, but that wasn't Adamle's fault.

[QUOTE=scorpion;475267]It doesn't bury Priceless to lose to two main eventers, it buries them to take away their heat. (kayfabe alert :p) There's no money in heel's chasing a title. But, there is money in two young smug champions asking to get their butts kicked. But now that Cena and Batista did it, who cares.[/QUOTE] I can see your point in this.

[QUOTE=scorpion;475267]It doesn't bury Priceless to lose to two main eventers, it buries them to take away their heat. (kayfabe alert :p) There's no money in heel's chasing a title. But, there is money in two young smug champions asking to get their butts kicked. But now that Cena and Batista did it, who cares. I completely agree about Adamle though, he did all right. I liked the opening segment untill "grown-up Jericho" started arguing like a child, but that wasn't Adamle's fault.[/QUOTE] 100% aggree with you here. I can't for the life of me imagine what good to have THOSE titles on Batista and Cena is going to do. The only way to "Save" the damage it caused is what I said before... Have them bury the hatchet and make a real run, ala Batista and Mysterio, with the Heels (Cody and Ted) eventually getting one up on them and getting those titles back... Doesn't have to be legitimate and clean, but it does have to have Batista and Cena working as a team throughout the match. Having them get a quick pin, or cheating to win will be good enough. Having Cena and Batista start fighting and not tagging, etc... just won't cut it though. They have to be legitimately looking as if they are a team, and just get outsmarted by the Heels. This could actually help them if they did this. I honestly don't think Batista or Cena would lose so much to have something like that happen, that they couldn't bounce right back to the main event within' a few match's. Now... I seriously doubt that will happen. Goes along with what I said in an earlier post, everyone can't be "Main Event". However, the chance of what I just described happening is way slim, and doubtfull... especially considering their match at Summer Slam.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;475289]100% aggree with you here. I can't for the life of me imagine what good to have THOSE titles on Batista and Cena is going to do. The only way to "Save" the damage it caused is what I said before... Have them bury the hatchet and make a real run, ala Batista and Mysterio, with the Heels (Cody and Ted) eventually getting one up on them and getting those titles back... Doesn't have to be legitimate and clean, but it does have to have Batista and Cena working as a team throughout the match. Having them get a quick pin, or cheating to win will be good enough. Having Cena and Batista start fighting and not tagging, etc... just won't cut it though. They have to be legitimately looking as if they are a team, and just get outsmarted by the Heels. This could actually help them if they did this. I honestly don't think Batista or Cena would lose so much to have something like that happen, that they couldn't bounce right back to the main event within' a few match's. Now... I seriously doubt that will happen. Goes along with what I said in an earlier post, everyone can't be "Main Event". However, the chance of what I just described happening is way slim, and doubtfull... especially considering their match at Summer Slam.[/QUOTE] I agree, if WWE hadn't been so quick to pull the trigger on this match (Cena vs. Batista), they could have made it work. And if somehow, they do start working together it could save the angle, but I have no faith in WWE to do the interesting thing, they always go back to the same old stuff

Speaking of the triple-threat match, I was flipping through the channels and put on the Punk vs. Jericho vs. JBL match, partially to see whats going on in the WWE these days, partially to annoy my fiancee, but she got the last laugh when she pointed out that JBL has some serious bitch tits going on. Now I'm all for wrestlers looking more natural, but I just couldn't help but laugh as his boobies jiggled across the ring :D

I know it's easy to be negative, but shouldn't we wait and see how this turns out? For all we know, they may work to be a cohesive unit for a while (like Batista/Rey). And if it doesn't, then yeah, we should roll our eyes at them re-hashing a storyline within a little over a year. And I don't see MNM version 2 as "OMG, why are they doing this AGAIN!?!", they've turned out to be a solid team. Best we can hope for here is for a cohesive unit for a bit until they go their separate ways (Cena & Batista will be right around the PPVs main events, which simply can't happen with them as Tag Champs).

All I know is that today, I spoke to a friend of mine who is a diehard WWE fanboi and when I asked him if I could come to his place to watch SummerSlam, he said, "I'm not payin' for that ****". :eek: Basically, he (and several of his family members who are also WWE fanatics) doesn't like the idea of JBL in a PPV main event going after a top title. JBL getting a major push while they have quite a few young talents who could step into the breach, is nonsensical to me. Sure, you can use JBL to "make" some people but not at the main event level. He laid down for Punk's first title defense but that wasn't exactly a MOTY candidate or "must see TV". As for putting the tag titles on Batista & Cena, I can't see any other way to promote a face vs face match in present day WWE. Remember, they have an audience with a short attention span (or so it seems by their booking) so you can't have long programs between workers. You especially can't have long programs between two fan favorites. So they need to generate quick heat and there are few quicker ways to do that than the 'can the champs co-exist' storylines. Sure, they could come up with a new way to generate that heat but that would be innovative and innovation is hard. It's a lot easier to just recycle what worked in the past. WWE isn't in the innovation business any more than movie theater owners are in the movie business.

I aggree with your friends assessment on JBL. I find his size makes him believably a threat, but he is definately an annoyance, and comes out on top only out of "luck". I don't see him going over Punk though. If they wanted Punk to lose the title (to a heel), I would think they would have had Jericho be the big winner for it. JBL going down might take him back off the roster, and I for one am ready for him to lose an "I quit" match again. If JBL wins, then we are going to be in for a "more then likely" boring feud between him and Punk. I really don't want to see that to be honest. Far as putting the title's on Batista and Cena for only that reason, it sucks. That might be the only way YOU can see them doing it, but I think enough people already said what they COULD do with it. Now, none of us believe it's going to be different though. They will probably botch up their title defence against someone, and keep feuding to allow this Punk/JBL/Jericho BS to keep going. JBL needs to get out of that ring. I'd be more interested with him going up against Kofi to be honest, that would work. He can't even do the GTS move for Punk right, as he's obviously scared he's going to get his nose broke like Snitsky did (LOL). Who did they say had a broken nose now? Anyone like Matt Stryker on ECW sitting at the announcer's table?

Guest Ransik
How could they have made the Cena/Batista situation work without putting the straps on them? Here's a list; -Cena & Batista argue towards the end of the match and brawl.... lose by count-out. -Batista finally turns heel... lays out Cena and Cena gets pinned for DiBiase & Rhodes to retain. -The heels bring a chair in the ring and somehow maneuver it so they make Cnea & Batista believe one hit the other which erupts into a brawl and a no contest. I can go on and on and on with this for a loooooooooong time. Simply put; there was no reason to bury Simply Priceless to promote this match and put the already worthless Tag Titles on a duo that will never add anything to their value. DiBiase and Rhodes were starting to fix it... they screwed it up. There's no way to justify it... and if the WWE fans are THAT simple-minded that they can't get into a match with two faces without them winning the Tag Titles.... .... then the WWE needs to reconsider what kind of fanbase they're trying to attract if they're so dense they can't follow a simple storyline. It's the writers and it's creative. Instead of trying to come up with ONE new idea... they just go "ah hell these people will never notice we did this twice in the last year, just do it again."

[QUOTE=Ransik;475588]How could they have made the Cena/Batista situation work without putting the straps on them? Here's a list; -Cena & Batista argue towards the end of the match and brawl.... lose by count-out. -Batista finally turns heel... lays out Cena and Cena gets pinned for DiBiase & Rhodes to retain. -The heels bring a chair in the ring and somehow maneuver it so they make Cnea & Batista believe one hit the other which erupts into a brawl and a no contest. I can go on and on and on with this for a loooooooooong time. Simply put; there was no reason to bury Simply Priceless to promote this match and put the already worthless Tag Titles on a duo that will never add anything to their value. DiBiase and Rhodes were starting to fix it... they screwed it up. There's no way to justify it... and if the WWE fans are THAT simple-minded that they can't get into a match with two faces without them winning the Tag Titles.... .... then the WWE needs to reconsider what kind of fanbase they're trying to attract if they're so dense they can't follow a simple storyline. It's the writers and it's creative. Instead of trying to come up with ONE new idea... they just go "ah hell these people will never notice we did this twice in the last year, just do it again."[/QUOTE] Perhaps. What was brought up earlier was if Batista and Cena make up, and actually go for a Batista/Rey type storyline, and legitimately try to hold on to their tag titles. Ted and Cody winning in any circumstance (even by cheating) with Batista and Cena really working as a team, could do wonder's for "Simply Priceless". We doubt that will happen, but that's kind of what is being hoped for.

[QUOTE=Remianen;475563]As for putting the tag titles on Batista & Cena, I can't see any other way to promote a face vs face match in present day WWE. Remember, they have an audience with a short attention span (or so it seems by their booking) so you can't have long programs between workers. You especially can't have long programs between two fan favorites. So they need to generate quick heat and there are few quicker ways to do that than the 'can the champs co-exist' storylines. Sure, they could come up with a new way to generate that heat but that would be innovative and innovation is hard. It's a lot easier to just recycle what worked in the past. WWE isn't in the innovation business any more than movie theater owners are in the movie business.[/QUOTE] If Batista and Cena, two of the supposedly top guys in the business can't generate heat without the tag titles then they need to get out of the business. The "can the champs co-exist" doesn't help this feud it hurts it, and it hurt Priceless in the process. And, its not about the fans having short attention spans. Thats bs. Its about Vince McMahon having a short attention span and popping buy rates now at the sacrifice of later.

Archived