• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE=Eisen-verse;527476]This could totally be my issue but I never seem to be able to get into TCW games. Mostly because the roster is so loaded with talent. Yea, I know that sounds weird. With a roster loaded with the likes of Rick Law, Joey Minnesota, Sammy Bach, Wolf Hawkings, Tommy Cornell, Eddie Peak, etc... It just seems to be so overloaded that I don't know who to push and who to take the back seat. hah. How do you deal with having so much talent on the roster? I'm use to playing as small companies who maybe have one or two big superstars and then the rest are just fillers.[/QUOTE] The dilemma with TCW isn't that it's got too much talent, it's that it has too much talent in the wrong place. Except for Cornell, Tornado, and arguably Wolf Hawkins, none of TCW's great talents are in the main event. They're all in the mid to upper midcard. The challenge is getting them moved up without sabotaging your main event. It's amusing that you find TCW to be intractable because of all the talent, and yet profess your love for SWF! ;):D

[QUOTE] It's amusing that you find TCW to be intractable because of all the talent, and yet profess your love for SWF! [/QUOTE] I think with the SWF the plethora of talent is seen in a different light. The realism levels are quite low so it's more about characters then it is about actual in-ring talent. With TCW, the company has a stronger basis of realism... So, their actual abilities are taken much more into account. So, if you have a full roster of amazingly talented superstars then you find yourself not knowing who deserves the push. hah.

[QUOTE=James Casey;527784]So, with TCW, when you start off should you mainly have your main eventers facing one another? Or can they get involved in feuds with midcarders straight off the bat?[/QUOTE] I'd say its best to go with a bit of both. Just remember that protecting your main eventers is key for the first while.

Remember by the time Troy Tornado has recovered you could and should have improved your main event scene... just increase the popularity of your better wrestlers through matches and angles. The main events you need to replace is Rocky Golden and Genghis Rahn. You could feud with ME vs mids or ME vs. ME or mids vs. mids. And still get good results. But you should focus your promos on the MEs

[QUOTE=pepper2008;527791]The main events you need to replace is Rocky Golden and Genghis Rahn. [/QUOTE] I agree about Rahn, but although Golden needs some time to improve in the ring, I wouldn't be so quick to de-push him. He has been steadily improving his popularity in my game just by doing angles and promos and has been gradually improving in the ring. He's not a Cornell/Hawkins type in the ring by any means, but I have him at the point were he can steadily achieve C+ to B level matches with the right opponent and B to A promos and angles, nothing to sneeze at.

Good/Bad chemistry notes with Cornell can be the clincher too for which faces to push. It takes a long, long time to comfortably take Tommy out of the main event and you'll probably find yourself lining up most of the starting main event faces and upper-mids against him at some point. I got screwed in my game as Joey, Koshiri and Tyson Baine all had bad chemistry. Conversely Rocky Golden had good chemistry so I gave him a big push later on when he'd improved in the ring, whereas most people would just let him go.

I will only keep Rocky if he has good chemistry with Tommy, Eddie, RDJ, Wolf, Joey, Sam ,Machines and Troy. Rocky improves really slow for my taste. I want my TCW MEs and Mids to be at least B- in Psych whoch takes Rocky forever. Chris Caufield and Eric Tyler usually goes to SWF 90% of the time. Besides they are too old for the push and they are cult (which is usually against Tommy's goal), I would rather hire different guys. Beside I avoid too many people just enough to reach the next stage in the promotion growth.

Caulfield and Tyler definitely have a place in TCW...I brought them in as part of a "Dave invasion" of sorts inspired by Nemesis and Phil Vibert returning to the business within a week of each other. They're both capable of putting on solid matches, Tyler especially, and they have solid performance skills to train others...again, Tyler especially. Tyler's probably going to retire relatively soon, but he turns into an outstanding road agent or trainer in a child promotion. And I know this has been said a few times, but I think it's worth reiterating that there is absolutely no such thing as using Tommy Cornell too much. Especially early on. At the top of your list of owner goals, write in your own: Tommy Cornell must wrestle on every single show - Critical. Plus at least one six minute angle. Use your house shows and dark matches to test him for chemistry with just about everybody on your roster.

[QUOTE=Candyman;527827]Caulfield and Tyler definitely have a place in TCW...I brought them in as part of a "Dave invasion" of sorts inspired by Nemesis and Phil Vibert returning to the business within a week of each other. They're both capable of putting on solid matches, Tyler especially, and they have solid performance skills to train others...again, Tyler especially. Tyler's probably going to retire relatively soon, but he turns into an outstanding road agent or trainer in a child promotion. And I know this has been said a few times, but I think it's worth reiterating that there is absolutely no such thing as using Tommy Cornell too much. Especially early on. At the top of your list of owner goals, write in your own: Tommy Cornell must wrestle on every single show - Critical. Plus at least one six minute angle. Use your house shows and dark matches to test him for chemistry with just about everybody on your roster.[/QUOTE] That's good to know. I plan to have a DaVE versus The Syndicate storyline with Caulfield, Tyler, Sammy Bach, Nemesis and The New Wave trying to take down The Syndicate.

I'm pretty proud of myself. I've gone away from the standard Golden, Law, RDJ, Rahn, and Baine vs. The Syndicate. Instead I got Law, Rahn and Baine messing around in the mid card. I still managed an A show with my first ppv. That is my first A show in the Cornellverse ever so I'm pretty stoked.

I know Rocky isn't a technical powerhouse but he poses a lot of potential to be a big player in TCW. His psychology levels are kind of low (not terrible though) but with the roster being chalked full of people who really know psychology... He doesn't need amazing psychology. Plus on top of that he's a decent brawler with good charisma levels and a major amount of Star Quality. He's even got a C+ for athleticism for a big guy!! That's crazy!! I see Rocky Golden as theoretically as a Glen Jacobs kind of wrestler. Not necessarily Kane (since the character is very gimmicky) but in the sense of being a big man with athleticism, good charisma levels, as well as a very strong star quality levels. In that case he'll probably fluctuate in my game between Upper Midcard and low level Main Eventer through out the game.

[QUOTE=Eisen-verse;528074]I know Rocky isn't a technical powerhouse but he poses a lot of potential to be a big player in TCW. His psychology levels are kind of low (not terrible though) but with the roster being chalked full of people who really know psychology... He doesn't need amazing psychology. Plus on top of that he's a decent brawler with good charisma levels and a major amount of Star Quality. He's even got a C+ for athleticism for a big guy!! That's crazy!! I see Rocky Golden as theoretically as a Glen Jacobs kind of wrestler. Not necessarily Kane (since the character is very gimmicky) but in the sense of being a big man with athleticism, good charisma levels, as well as a very strong star quality levels. In that case he'll probably fluctuate in my game between Upper Midcard and low level Main Eventer through out the game.[/QUOTE] I have to agree. Golden isn't ideal for TCW, but he can definitely develop if you work at it and the combination of Star Quality and entertainment skills makes him valuable. Not someone you going to push to the World title in the first year or two, but he can get there eventually.

When booking TCW I know its fictional but I put it back in the late 80's NWA Flair = Cornell Keith = Anderson only because I see him as the one guy Cornell respects and as the last line of defense for the Syndicate The Machines = Any number of great Horseman tag teams Wolf = Barry Windham, he's young, he's chalked full of talent and he's learning form the master Rocky Golden = Lex Luger big, good looking guy that can move decently and has enough charisma to make up for his lack of technical skills RDJ - Sting only in the sense of his ongoing, forever rivalry with Cornell Rahn - More of a Funk in his later days, wild, crazy, who knows what he's doing or whos side he's on brawler I'm not saying these are perfect, I'm just saying these are the roles I tend to place them into.

[QUOTE=Bigpapa42;528096]I have to agree. Golden isn't ideal for TCW, but he can definitely develop if you work at it and the combination of Star Quality and entertainment skills makes him valuable. Not someone you going to push to the World title in the first year or two, but he can get there eventually.[/QUOTE] He could be World Champion capability since he has a high level of Star Quality and with TCW having a realism level of medium... His brawling ability may work well in his favor. I probably still wouldn't put the title on him, however, I would foresee him getting a major push in some ways given the right storyline (In my game TCW is down to 80% levels for storylines).

I could see him being a short term World Champion. Really besides Wolf you have to ask who's ready to take the title away from Cornell. A lot of the actual main event is aging aside from Law, Golden, Wolf. However from what I've seen Law has the same "problems" as Golden.

My biggest issue with Golden and Law is their inability to go long enough for what I would considere a good main event. It's also the reason I'm not to fond of baine or RDJ either. RDj can't go over 15 minutes neither can Law and Golden and Baine are stuck at 10 minutes. And Stamina seems to be the hardest thing to get to raise 9exceot for by the AI).

[QUOTE=Apupunchau@optonline;528123]My biggest issue with Golden and Law is their inability to go long enough for what I would considere a good main event. It's also the reason I'm not to fond of baine or RDJ either. RDj can't go over 15 minutes neither can Law and Golden and Baine are stuck at 10 minutes. And Stamina seems to be the hardest thing to get to raise 9exceot for by the AI).[/QUOTE] I could see that. I tend to have my main events around 20 minutes, so putting the title on the low stamina guys can really suck. However, I'll put them in positions to be Champion from time to time. While Cornell is the guy who should carry the title almost at all points... I still think there is room to put the title on people you wouldn't expect to be champion to spice things up. New Storylines, matches, etc. I guess with TCW, since the popularity levels are just as high as performance people like Law, Golden, and Danny Fonzarelli are just as much fun to book for me as the true technical wrestlers. They (aside from Golden) have great personas and can really work well to bring some "character" to a roster with a bunch of great wrestlers without a sense of persona.

[QUOTE=Eisen-verse;528126]I could see that. I tend to have my main events around 20 minutes, so putting the title on the low stamina guys can really suck. However, I'll put them in positions to be Champion from time to time. While Cornell is the guy who should carry the title almost at all points... I still think there is room to put the title on people you wouldn't expect to be champion to spice things up. New Storylines, matches, etc. I guess with TCW, since the popularity levels are just as high as performance people like Law, Golden, and Danny Fonzarelli are just as much fun to book for me as the true technical wrestlers. They (aside from Golden) have great personas and can really work well to bring some "character" to a roster with a bunch of great wrestlers without a sense of persona.[/QUOTE] Don't get me wrong, I love the characters I think there should be character and talent but I like my main event to go the distance so I think at least for myself stamina is the most important skill. I mean if he doens't have the psych some one else can carry him a bit as long as he has the overness but without the stamina he can't even pull a lengthy main event.

[QUOTE=Apupunchau@optonline;528127]Don't get me wrong, I love the characters I think there should be character and talent but I like my main event to go the distance so I think at least for myself stamina is the most important skill. I mean if he doens't have the psych some one else can carry him a bit as long as he has the overness but without the stamina he can't even pull a lengthy main event.[/QUOTE] True, True. I see what you're talking about. With TCW, I tend to book them like the SWF, however, with more focus on wrestling. So, I guess what you would see more so on Smackdown these days. Entertainment is important too... however... there is more of a focus on what is being done in the ring versus just punching over and over again (a la what you see on RAW).

[QUOTE=Apupunchau@optonline;528127]Don't get me wrong, I love the characters I think there should be character and talent but I like my main event to go the distance so I think at least for myself stamina is the most important skill. I mean if he doens't have the psych some one else can carry him a bit as long as he has the overness but without the stamina he can't even pull a lengthy main event.[/QUOTE] I agree that stamina is important in a main eventer. In TCW, at least. Maybe not so much with SWF. However, there are very few workers in the CornellVerse who can offer absolutely everything - wrestling skills, entertainment skills, psychology skills, stamina, and star quality. And even fewer of them have decent overness in the US. Which is why I'm willing to compromise a bit. So while the likes of Law, Golden, and RDJ don't really have the all-around skills to offer top-level pure wrestling matches, they make up for it with what they can offer in terms of character. They may not give you A matches no matter who you put them against, but they have the entertainment skills to keep storylines hot, which is nearly as important.

Archived