RELEASE! 1996 The War Begins Beta

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim Duggan is fine alignment-wise. But the game puts him in as a main eventer which is... well... ridiculous.

I agree, I've been trying to fix this and dropped Duggan's popularity in the US but I think because WCW have such a huge roster and because Duggan is a little more popular outside the US it keeps him as a main eventer. Not sure there is much I can do about that, especially since I don't think there are too many other guys on the roster who quite fit into the main event scene. I'm thinking maybe I should try to set Duggan as an occassional wrestler? I don't know.

Oh and thanks Skummy, I thought that was the case with Guerrero.

I agree, I've been trying to fix this and dropped Duggan's popularity in the US but I think because WCW have such a huge roster and because Duggan is a little more popular outside the US it keeps him as a main eventer. Not sure there is much I can do about that, especially since I don't think there are too many other guys on the roster who quite fit into the main event scene. I'm thinking maybe I should try to set Duggan as an occassional wrestler? I don't know.

Oh and thanks Skummy, I thought that was the case with Guerrero.

Try changing his style to Brawler or Regular Wrestler?

Yeah even as brawler or regular wrestler I am still getting Duggan as a main eventer. The way the game pushes workers is sometimes a bit like that I found, a lot of the wrestlers in ECW are being pushed in not strictly the best way either.

Oh and to go back a bit ...

I haven't gotten through a full year yet, so I'm hoping to see him at #1 by the time it's all said and done. But I'm near WrestleMania XII, and he hasn't had a match below B yet (Highest rating being A* in a cage match with Diesel at In Your House), so I'm actually fine with the stats he has. It just looks weird to see him with those stats, if you know what I mean.

Yeah I know what you mean but I think people get used to seeing workers with high stats in technical, rumble, flying etc and think that is the measure of the worker. Shawn Michaels to me was never a great mat worker, flyer or brawler. He wasn't a Malenko or a Mysterio, he was just good in these areas rather than spectacular. Michaels is someone who sold a lot, did the basics right and knew how to get the most out of a match but wouldn't necessarily do a bunch of flips or bust out the fancy suplexes and submission holds. If you are getting good matches with him, the AI sims good matches with him then yeah ... I'm happy with his stats and think I got them right.

How much adjusting did you do?

Also, was anyone else pushed into the main event to take his place?

ummm not more than like 5 points here and there...

here's some pics.

there was a hole left for a main eventer... it kept changing depending on who I'd adjusted.... I altered various workers slightly, to get this final result. I chose Kevin Sullivan to fill the Main Event void Duggan left, due to his feud with Hogan.

WCW Roster

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/JohnnyFenoli/roster.jpg

Jim Duggan Stats

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/JohnnyFenoli/hacksawstats.jpg

I have to take my hat off to you, BurningHamster. This mod is awesome and I'm having a lot of fun with it. However, I'm not letting myself play too far into it, though. In my mind the only thing this baby is drastically missing is some title histories. Once a version gets released with them included, I'm going all the way with this mod. Any idea when that will happen?

Speaking of title histories, are you not including the Women's title in the WWF? I know it wasn't active in January 1996, but I do want to re-activate it and actually make a solid Women's division.

I agree that Jim Duggan shouldn't be a main eventer (I actually have the same problem in my own mod) - but making Kevin Sullivan main event material is a stretch as well... he was more of an occational wrestler/manager, and did not himself take part in all that many feuds with Hogan iirc. I think it would be better to give maybe The Shark a bit more push. Or what about Arn Anderson? Isn't it a bit too early to have him as an occational wrestler only?

Speaking of title histories, are you not including the Women's title in the WWF? I know it wasn't active in January 1996, but I do want to re-activate it and actually make a solid Women's division.

There was actually a WWF Women's title match (Alundra Blayze vs. Aja Kong) scheduled for the Royal Rumble, but then as we all know Alundra/Madusa jumped ship and dumped her ugly belt (it was partly pink, for god's sake) in the trash where it belonged.

I have an old WWF magazine with a Rumble Preview where the Alundra/Kong match is on the card as well as a Kid/Sid vs. Smoking Gunns match that never panned out.

But what I was actually going to do is give suggestions for State Patrol. I'm not really a modder myself and I didn't take a look at the stats of enough people in this mod to suggest really accurate stats I'm afraid. What I can give is my overall impression of the two. James Earl was painfully unexciting, mainly a brawler I'd say, and not a very good one. His basics were all right but nothing special there, either. Buddy Lee Parker was a little better in the brawling department, had at least rudimentary technical skills and definitely decent basics (which is probably why he became the Power Plant trainer, eventually). Not the greatest seller, but good in psychology and the other basic stats. And from what I've read over the years I think he's also a legit tough guy.

With Mike Winner, it's difficult. Pretty much all I can recall is him being eliminated in the World War 3 battle royal and that he wore a crappy-looking singlet with black and white stripes ;)

Cagematch.net, my trusted Wrestling database tells me that apparently he replaced Mark Starr to form another version of Men at Work with Chris Kanyon in 1996, but as personal memory goes, I hardly remember anything about him at all.

I agree that Jim Duggan shouldn't be a main eventer (I actually have the same problem in my own mod) - but making Kevin Sullivan main event material is a stretch as well... he was more of an occational wrestler/manager, and did not himself take part in all that many feuds with Hogan iirc. I think it would be better to give maybe The Shark a bit more push. Or what about Arn Anderson? Isn't it a bit too early to have him as an occational wrestler only?

With Arn I agree, he should probably still be active. He wrestled quite a lot until Fall/Winter 1996 (the last big ppv match being against Lex Luger at Halloween Havoc 1996, I think).

But on the other point I'd respectfully disagree. Kevin Sullivan is definitely a better fit in the main event than Hacksaw or Shark (or even Big Bubba, for that matter). True, he didn't wrestle all that much, but he was an important character in main-storylines until about March (when the Hulkamaniacs vs. Dungeon & Horsemen feud culminated in the hilariously bad Tower of Doom match).

Shark, on the other hand, had absolutely no push whatsoever going for him around January 1996. I don't think he appeared in a 1996 PPV match until June or July. Pretty much the only time he did anything at all at the time was when masses of Dungeon of Doom people attacked Hogan and/or Savage.

Who TEW pushes as main eventers isn't all that important too me anyway, though. I don't use auto-push so all it means is I'd have to manually rearrange the roster at the beginning of a game.

Who TEW pushes as main eventers isn't all that important too me anyway, though. I don't use auto-push so all it means is I'd have to manually rearrange the roster at the beginning of a game.

Aye, but it's important for when the promotion is AI-controlled. :)

I would like to suggest making the WCW US Title and the WWF Intercontinental Title both main event titles instead of midcard. After all, it was most often what in the game would be main eventers that held the title - like Sting, Vader, Ric Flair, DDP, Hennig, Bret Hart, Jeff Jarrett, Razor Ramon, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin and so on.

Yes, there were also "lesser" names that held the title - but those are the kind of people the game engine are likely to push to main event or at the very least upper midcard anyway (Duggan is a fine example).

I did this for my own mod, and I'm pretty happy with the results so far.

I would argue that in 1996 the IC title in the WWF was still very much a main event title, Curt Hening, Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels succesfuly elavated that title in the mid 90s to the point it ment more than the World title at the time (hello warrior.. give me a break) to actuall none casual fans.

The title would go on to be miss used and abused untill the likes of goldust started to hold it and it yet again became a midcard title... but i would say in january 1996 it was still very much in the forfront...

I would argue that in 1996 the IC title in the WWF was still very much a main event title, Curt Hening, Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels succesfuly elavated that title in the mid 90s to the point it ment more than the World title at the time (hello warrior.. give me a break) to actuall none casual fans.

The title would go on to be miss used and abused untill the likes of goldust started to hold it and it yet again became a midcard title... but i would say in january 1996 it was still very much in the forfront...

Bret and Hennig as IC Champions...mid 90s? Really? I was totally unaware 1990-1992 was the mid 90s.

Bret and Hennig as IC Champions...mid 90s? Really? I was totally unaware 1990-1992 was the mid 90s.

They did both, however, hold the US title in the mid 90s. The IC title was held by people like Razor Ramon, Jeff Jarrett, Shawn Michaels and Steve Austin in the mid 90s.

No your both 100% right, i was a good 3 years out with the above comment.

Sorry i was playing 1991 mod recently and im in 2002 at the moment, re-playing history seems to have impaired my memory of actuall events :p

Still... Bret/Shawn's IC reigns were still not that far in the past that they didnt impact the belts prestege in 1996. I would even go on to say that Razor's storyline with shawn regards the "real IC title" was still pretty fresh in peoples memorys in 1996... Scott Hall is still with WWF at this point no?

wasnt their a legandary ladder match bettwen them 2 just prior to this time?

One could still argue the IC title was more than a midcard title at this time, even if my orignal recolection was off ;)

Yeah Arn Anderson might be the way to go for the main event. Seriously though, I think you guys are overestimating the ability for TEW to make sense in terms of pushes. WCW's roster has like 80 people on it and I did try this out before releasing but found that they want a certain number of workers at the top of the card. You guys might just have to learn to live with that.

Women's belt should be added in the next version, but as was said ... it had just been dumped in the garbage on WCW TV within the last month before this mod starts.

As for title prestige I might have a play around and see who ends up with what title. So far I found the IC belt is usually competed for by guys in the high midcard which sounds about right to me since from '96 for the next couple of years there wouldn't really be too many main eventers with the belt. Goldust, Ahmed Johnson, Marc Mero, Hunter Hearst Helmsley, Rocky Maivia, Owen Hart etc

WCW US title probably had a bit less prestige since well ... One Man Gang was no Razor Ramon but it was far harder to tell who was ending up with what belt in WCW sometimes.

If anyone wants to sim into the game for a while and tell me who the AI puts the belts on as part of making their case, I will be interested .... unless you've already played around with the data. That would just confuse me needlessly.

Thanks for the info on workers Nachtfelter, Mike Winner probably won't make it in ... he sounds like he had the kind of career that makes entering data meaningless. The other two I should be able to throw in, I'll let you know if I need any more info.

BTW guys, anyone checked out the promotions besides the big two?

2 years into the game simulated... true to form randy and hogan jumped ship... what worries me is that WWF are still global A* and it seems like WCW fell to cult E- ... now that i can understand except for the fact their still putting on A* matches with Ric flair/sting/steiners/road warriors... i guess they fell from international at some point and the loss of all their tv coverage buried their prestige... this may suggests the sustainability of the networks needs to be looked into, or the WWF could just be doing really well...

One thing made me happy, Bret had 10 defenses of the world title, lost it to Shawn... 10 defenses... lost it back to bret, 11 defenses and then ... Kevin Nash WWF champ... outsiders never jumped.

2 Years running Shawn is #1 ... i suppose thats right.

ECW is going strong... Chris jericho seems to be their main guy.

As for title prestige I might have a play around and see who ends up with what title. So far I found the IC belt is usually competed for by guys in the high midcard which sounds about right to me since from '96 for the next couple of years there wouldn't really be too many main eventers with the belt. Goldust, Ahmed Johnson, Marc Mero, Hunter Hearst Helmsley, Rocky Maivia, Owen Hart etc

Yes but while the people you mention there were at that time midcarders in the real world, they're the kind of people the game engine tends to push up to main event pretty fast. Hence why I feel the US and IC titles should be main event. :)

TNAFever, yes thanks I got your title histories and am checking them out. I appreciate the effort since nobody else got back to me about title histories, so to actually get a fair amount of them done is a big help. But there seems to be quite a few mistakes here and there and as you said, the histories are still incomplete because you got burned out.

So I guess to answer DarkMaverick I am not sure when the title histories are going to be complete and in the game. If someone else wants to get on board and continue TNAFever's work then it might be soon, if not then it could be bit of a long wait as I still have a lot of other little issues with the database that need attending to as well as needing a bit of a break from the data to refocus.

Archived