RELEASE! 1996 The War Begins Beta

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TNAFever .... Actually while I would prefer all vacancies to be in the history, so as to make it completely accurate, what I was referring to was more a mistake of mine. :o I noticed that while your lineages were pretty solid, the belt file you sent back to me was pretty messed up (FMW titles appearing in Stampede for example) and all the belts seemed to be vacant. That's okay, I can fix that up, but I tried importing my old belt file and that just made things more confusing which lead me to believe you'd sent corrupt data or something.

But yeah, good work and if you want to continue I'd be happy but I've also had another volunteer PM me, so if you are worn out you can take a break I guess and let someone else finish it up?

Im now playing a WWF game properly doing my best to stick as true to real world events as possible.

So ill update you as i can as to things i notice, for anyone who wonders im using the same graphics that game with the know your role mod and they seem to be atleast 70% compatible with this mod, few changes required if anyones looking for a "fill in" untill this mod drops its own for us to download.

Small things i noticed, Bret hart is set to be "social" in his personality, im watching a RF video shoot with Billy gun, and he restates what i already expected to be true, Bret Hart was very quiet backstage according to him. I have also noticed he has no relationship set with Sunny... its a strong rhumer that he had more than a platonic relationship with her backstage... but it was never proven as fact, i would set a friendship atleast since she would babysit his kids on tour.

Around this time the cliqe was according to Billy Gunn(Kip James/etc) more of a backstage problem than i had expected, pulling group strikes if one of them had to put anyone over, and refusing to let anyone lower on the card move past midcard incase they were built into a position were they could be inline for a main event run, they attempted (again according to billy gun's rf video shoot) to put each of them in a main event slot and hold down anyone who would even approach that status, now... i know they most likely didnt have creative control in contracts, but in effect they did have it... by power or politics.

For this reason i suggest each of them for a game mechanic alternative be given creative control (with exception to Hunter, who clearly at this time still "worked the job" when asked). They should be a cancer to the booker, but still be so over that removing them isnt an option.

(This is me assuming most people will try to keep scott hall and nash when their contracts expire when playing with WWF, i assume the AI will also attempt this)

I also think they all need their personalities setting slightly more negative (Scott and Shawn have to be the worst of the bunch, with Kevin Nash been manipulative but more calm than the rest, this is what backstage reports state anyways... eh.. Hunter should also be less of a problem.)

Small things i noticed, Bret hart is set to be "social" in his personality, im watching a RF video shoot with Billy gun, and he restates what i already expected to be true, Bret Hart was very quiet backstage according to him. I have also noticed he has no relationship set with Sunny... its a strong rhumer that he had more than a platonic relationship with her backstage... but it was never proven as fact, i would set a friendship atleast since she would babysit his kids on tour.

For what it is worth in the Bret Hart book he seems to be social with his buddys (Owen, Davey, Neidhart) and guys who respect him and the business (Undertaker, The Harris Brothers and Rick Rude to name a few). He also denies the Sunny relationship but who knows for sure... I don't think it was to protect his image because he talks about a million different girls he has been with in the book.

Yeah I might drop Bret Hart's social and make the Clique guys a bit more of a pain in the butt. I'm hesitant to give them creative control though as I prefer the idea that well ... you can risk pissing them off and maybe lose some of your bigger names, or you can keep them happy and that will hold some other guys down. Creative control in the game is sometimes a bit too much of a be all and end all.

Also I'm a little hesitant to put too many rumoured relationships into the game, which is why so far I have mostly just family relationships or well known friendships such as Flair and Arn. I am open to the possibility of putting more in, but shoot interviews usually give me the impression that at the end of the day everyone just hates everyone else and is massively bitter about everything.

Yeah I might drop Bret Hart's social and make the Clique guys a bit more of a pain in the butt. I'm hesitant to give them creative control though as I prefer the idea that well ... you can risk pissing them off and maybe lose some of your bigger names, or you can keep them happy and that will hold some other guys down. Creative control in the game is sometimes a bit too much of a be all and end all.

Thats definitely true, they had no stipulaton in their contracts to be prima donna's and flat out refuse things like guys later would in WCW.

For what it is worth in the Bret Hart book he seems to be social with his buddys (Owen, Davey, Neidhart) and guys who respect him and the business (Undertaker, The Harris Brothers and Rick Rude to name a few). He also denies the Sunny relationship but who knows for sure... I don't think it was to protect his image because he talks about a million different girls he has been with in the book.

Well, it could have been to protect his image, look at it like this, which is more damaging to your image: Flings with random women, or a fling with a chick that's been with everyone on the roster, JR included?

Well, it could have been to protect his image, look at it like this, which is more damaging to your image: Flings with random women, or a fling with a chick that's been with everyone on the roster, JR included?

I bet that was a "Good O'l Slobber Knocker" eh JR? :D

"Buissnes is about to pick up!"

Thats true... but you'd have to be a total queer to not have hooked up with Sunny back then... Bitch was smokin'

I've taken a look at this and it seems like the mod that I'll start playing my first long-term game. I can't get into the Cornellverse, even though I've tried. I simmed two years and things are looking good. Now I'll just wait and see how great it is after all the fixes that are already mentioned in here.

Some notes after two years of simming:

In 1997 both WCW and WWF fell to cult. WCW went in April and WWF in August. But WCW bounced back to global in October. WWF is still ranked as #1 in the world at the end of 1997.

M-Pro has been a hit. They are at cult at the end of 1997, so one size up per year.

These companies went out of business in 1996 USWA in June, WAR in September, AJW in October and FMW in Deccember.

Wrestler of the year Ric Flair 1996 and Mitsuharu Misawa 1997. Young Masato Tanaka 1996 and Juventud Guerrera 1997. Veteran Randy Savage 1996 and Ric Flair 1997. Female Manami Toyota 1996 and Lioness Asuka 1997. Promotion WWF 1996 and AJPW 1997. Improved M-Pro both years. Match Flair - Savage at Nitro 1996 and Misawa - Kanemoto at M-Pro Unexpected 1997. Card WWF Superstars 1996 and WCW Nitro 1997.

Title holders with companies in order of importance:

WWF: Intercontinental Ahmed Johnson, KOTR Ahmed Johnson, Heavyweight Sid Vicious, Tag Yokozuna and Owen Hart.

WCW: US title Honky Tonk Man, Heavyweight Jim Duggan, Tag Bam Bam and Bagwell, TV Bam Bam.

AJPW: All Asia Tag Steve Williams and Mighty Inoue, Top Contender Steve Williams, Triple Crown Kenta Kobashi, World Tag Akira Taue and Kenta Kobashi, Champions carnival Akira Taue, Real world tag Akira Taue and Kenta Kobashi.

M-Pro: Global Takao Omori, Intercontinental Shiryu, Tag Taka Michinoku and Super Delfin.

CMLL: Heavyweight Emilio Charles Jr., Light heavy El Hijo Del Santo, Middleweight Super Astro, Tag, Especto Jr. and Mocho Cota, Trios Negro Casas, Hector Garza and Dr. Wagner Jr., Welterweight Angel Azteca.

AAA: Cruiserweight Rey Misterio, Heavyweight Villano V, Light heavy Konnan, Tag Tineblas Jr. and Rey Misterio Jr., Trios juventud Guerrera, Misterioso and Jerry Estrada, Welterweight Perro Aguayo.

ECW: Tag Rey Misterio Jr., Telvision Brian Christopher, Heavyweight Cactus Jack.

NJPW: Climax Masahiro Chono, Junior Jushin Thunder Liger, Heavyweight Riki Choshu, Tag, Masahiro Chono and Koji Kanemoto.

The rest are regional or below and I won't write them up.

The push of Duggan is the only that in my opinion isn't right, he's B or B+ in USA and his momentum is D+ and he's the champ. Savage, Luger, Hogan, Flair, Road Warriors, Simmons, Sting and Giant all have better popularity and a great momentum, but maybe it is just horrible booking. Maybe they want to go back to cult. Only DDP and Meng are less popular and have weaker momentum of WCW main eventers.

There haven't really been new stars made in the big two, as the popularity levels of workers have stayed quite stable. the rosters have also stayed quite the same. WCW took Goldberg and Sabu out of ECW while WWF took Shane Douglas, Chris Jericho and Road Dogg from ECW. WWF took Eddy Guerrero from WCW. Yes Road Dogg was in ECW, even as their champ for a while, but WWF then took him. Also Goldberg was first acquired by ECW. The Kliq stayed in WWF. HBK is the top draw in WWF. Foley came back to ECW from WCW to be the champ in ECW. ECW has gotten such new workers to their roster like The Big Show, Stevie Ray, Hugh Morrus(all on ppa at WCW and ECW), Kurt Angle, Rey Misterio Jr.(on ppa at AAA and ECW), Marty Jannety and Chavo Guerrero Jr. OMEGA is alive and kicking with a promising roster wit the likes of Chavo Guerrero Jr., Christopher Daniels, EZ Money, Joey Styles, Kid Kash, Kurt Angle, Stevie Richards, Super Nova, Teddy Hart and of course the Hardys. Brian Lawler, Mike Awesome and Rey Misterio Jr. aren't any more with them. OMEGA has only put C- or C shows together.

Looking great, I can't wait for full release!

Randy Savage has been given creative control. WWC titles will be fixed.

Thanks for posting those results The Bus, that is fairly similar to some (not all) of the games I have simmed through except I am surprised to see the big two drop to Cult, at least they seem to have bounced back. I do hope that this mod will be the kind that people are interested in playing long term as I have put a lot of effort in to try to make it

Some of the results you get there are things I have tried to cut down on (and thankfully don't happen in every game). Such as FMW and AJW going out of business that early (USWA and WAR going out of business is fine, since they both did around this time).

Also I'm trying to prevent M-Pro from taking off too much, some games they stay smallish, others they grow at such an insane rate that I think it's a bit ridiculous. Main problem is that like most promotions in TEW, they try to sign the best workers rather than develop their own talent. As if Sasuke, Delfin, Hamada, and Kaientai DX aren't talented enough!

I might also try to make Todd Gordon a bit more of a cheapskate so ECW doesn't end up with as many expensive workers.

OMEGA doesn't sound TOO bad, at least the Hardys are there but yeah, I'm trying to make them a bit more of a low budget promotion too and force them to at least get Shane Helms, Shannon Moore, Cham Pain and a few of those guys in there regularly.

I've made most of the adjustments that you guys have requested and I am going to run another test simming through a few years and see how things are looking.

Bischoff has said a few times that Hogan was the only one who had creative control until Bret came in.

Really? The wikipedia article on the monday night wars says that both Hogan and Savage had creative control. But of course, wikipedia isn't always 00% reliable.

A very small thing, but shouldn't the events have the promotion short form in front of them.

So WWF WrestleMania instead of just WrestleMania.

Is that the way the default data is?

Eh, I prefer without. Otherwise in reports you get World Wrestling Federation helf WWF WrestleMania last night in front of a crapload of fans. Seems a bit like overkill. I only tend to addd the promotion short form on front for Anniversary shows since well ... lots of promotions have the events with the same name, whereas there is only one that has WrestleMania.

Glad you are enjoying it Tripps, yeah WWF having only one hour for RAW does make it a little hard to find time for everyone.

Just a bit of an update as to some things I'm fixing and an explanation of why some things in the mod may look a little unusual to anyone except me.

Terry Funk and Atsushi Onita are both out with an injury I created called "Temporary Retirement" while still being on the roster of ECW and FMW respectively. This may look utterly retarded, but ... I found things like setting them as retired or putting them on hiatas didn't really work. They would either return from hiatas immediately if they had a contract and be working the very next show, or if they were retired they would usually end up working as road agents for some pretty unsuitable promotions. If I had them on hiatas with no contract, when they returned they would either be ignored by all promotions or they would sign for a fairly unsuitable promotion. I found setting things up the way i did to be the best method of making them both comeback to their respective promotions at around the right time and resume their wrestling careers. So yeah, it's just my way of manipulating the gameworld a little bit to give both of these companies a bit of a boost down the line.

Added Survivor Series to WWF schedule.

Changed the importance of a number of events, boosting a few major ones to make it more likely someone will actually end up in the hall of immortals.

Having done a bit more simming I decided that the results for Joshi promotions were a little weaker than I would have liked, so I am boosting the popularity of most Joshi workers to help match ratings out a little. Nothing huge, just a few points here and their with the major names being boosted more than the rookies.

Also gave AJW a bit more money to try to keep them in business a little longer.

I noticed adding the State Patrol to WCW has been a pretty good move as it stops WCW from raiding ECW too early.

That's about it for now, I'm going to keep testing and fixing bits and pieces and I urge all of you guys to keep me updated on any mistakes you find or let me know how your games are going.

Archived