RELEASE! 1996 The War Begins Beta

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Razor started as a heel in 1992 (feuding with Randy Savage and later Bret Hart), but he started getting cheered pretty quickly. He was still heel at the King of the Ring 1993 (even though he was getting some cheers), but he was definitely face at SummerSlam 1993 where he faced (and beat) Ted DiBiasi. I couldn't really tell you what one incident finally turned him, but it was between King of the Ring and SummerSlam. He remained face all the way until he jumped ship and founded the NWO.

Bret was also face pretty much all the time starting sometime 1990 or 1991 (still in the Hart Foundation) and then through his entire singles run until he finally started gradually turning heel in 1997.

I haven't downloaded the new version yet, but once I do I'll take another look at the alignments in WWF and WCW ;)

Some other small stuff from WWF and WCW:

WWF:

Ted DiBiase doesn't have a gimmick, should probably be Rich Snob, or something.

Jim Cornette isn't the manager of Vader, though Vader is in Camp Cornette.

WCW:

A couple members of Dungeon of Doom (Shark, One Man Gang, Meng and The Zodiac) don't have Jimmy Hart as their manager, probably should have though, although I'm not sure as I'm not all too familiar with the WCW product in early '96.

Other stuff:

Mick Foley should probably have a dislike relationship with Bischoff, so he doesn't go back to WCW.

Also, shouldn't The Steiners be in WCW? (not a 100% sure)

And regarding the pic pack, a few of the file names are too long, therefore the pics can't be used in the game.

Thanks guys, changes will be made to alignments and manager stuff.

According to my research the Steiners were free agents around this time, worked for ECW in late 1995 briefly and then signed with WCW a few months into 1996 I think.

As for picture titles, I hope Justtxyank can shorten a few down for whenever we get around to releasing the next update to the pic pack.

Guest Ransik

I ran the game until December 1996 and I noticed a few things;

Way too many injuries... some workers who only worked for one company would have a small injury and a month after they got back would be out over a year. Dunno if you want to go through the stats to fix those up a bit, not sure if it's the workers themselves being too open to injury or if the Safety stats are too low.

No company is over Cult status... and there are only around 30 active wrestlers with a B rating or higher in Overness in the US. I dunno if this is a stat problem with ring skills... but I have noticed the Superstar stat is incredibly low on most of the workers... only 38 of over 1,400 workers have a superstar stat strong enough to carry over a dozen companies, which is I'm pretty positive why the companies cannot stay afloat. Another 35 or so brink on superstardom while about 50-60 are by superstar stat standards... relegated to upper midcard at best.

Love the mod, but the AI cannot handle the low stats well into the future. Not many companies folded but none of them can even get up to National status.

Thanks for the feedback, Ransik. Safety is something that I have been looking at and actually been boosting for a lot of workers in this version. Maybe I still need to push it higher or work on the toughness and resiliance. Any particular workers you've seen especially prone to injury that you think look suspicious?

Surprised that no company is over Cult at that point .... really surprised to be honest as that has not happened in any of my tests. Usually there will be at least one or two who maintain.

I'll definately investigate the star quality stat because having checked back over the Cornellverse there seem to be a lot more workers who are high in that stat. They have over 50 at A or better while I have around 13, some of whom are deceased. Since the Cornellverse is only around 200 workers more than my mod, obviously that ain't right. I'll adjust the star quality and safety stats and see if that helps, if I'm not happy with that then I might start boosting stats across the board.

Also if anyone feels like playing through a game for a while with any promotion and telling me how it plays (or sending me a savegame) rather than just sims I'd be interested to know the kind of ratings you get so i can compare that to AI booking. I've done tests with most of the promotions but obviously due to time constraints I can't sit and play through 2 years with every promotion.

Guest Ransik

Chavo Guerrero Jr. spent 16 months out with 3 different injuries in a span of 2 years.

Buzz Sawyer is on the list half a dozen times.

A lot of people show up twice... dunno if in 4 years if that's too much or not.

I checked the Economy in the US, too... forgot to do that. They're both in the Bs... so there's really no reason as to why the US promotions at least aren't rising enough.

But the cards are all showing a range of C to B- across the board... only once in a great while am I seeing any kind of high ranked show.

I'll definately investigate the star quality stat because having checked back over the Cornellverse there seem to be a lot more workers who are high in that stat. They have over 50 at A or better while I have around 13, some of whom are deceased. Since the Cornellverse is only around 200 workers more than my mod, obviously that ain't right. I'll adjust the star quality and safety stats and see if that helps, if I'm not happy with that then I might start boosting stats across the board.

This is a huge factor/issue, and it all depends on how you look at the game. I take huge issue with the amount of potential stars in the Cornellverse, because within 10 years, you have 50+ guys at A or A+ overness. That creates a completely unfathomable game world to me that I can't get into. That is partially the result of having so many workers with high star quality. If you want to bump the workers in this mod up, realize that that's what you're doing.

I haven't been following this thread too closely, but I notice the big promotions start with ENORMOUS rosters. I'm not sure that TEW compensates for this. The fact is, the success of the promotion will generally negatively correlate with the size of the roster. Cut the WCW roster from 80 to its top 45, and the promotion will perform much better for the AI. Because the TEW AI is not designed to have rosters of 80+ workers, and then it fills its shows with crap.

That also solves the problem of "Why is _____ pushed as a main eventer?" and "Shouldn't ______ be a main event Title?" If rosters are set somewhere around the recommended requirements for those promotions... maybe 15 more max (I don't have the requirements on me right now), everything will play out a lot closer to how we would like it.

Of course, most people want every WCW worker to be under WCW contract. So... I just edit the mod and cut 30 people from those rosters when I start.

I'd say that the point of a historical mod kinda fades a great deal if you don't give the promotions accurate rosters. But if you give some of them PPA contracts instead of written, you can easily cleanse the roster in the beginning of the game if you so desire.

I'd say that the point of a historical mod kinda fades a great deal if you don't give the promotions accurate rosters. But if you give some of them PPA contracts instead of written, you can easily cleanse the roster in the beginning of the game if you so desire.

I agree, heck you can do it with written contracts too. It's not like Ted Turner's WCW could ever run out of money .... right? :D

Soundsofsilver, I agree that it's bit of a balancing act between realism and gameplay, but I am still hoping to get that balance as good as I can. If I cut the roster it would be inaccurate and may make WCW run better but would have knock on effects like numerous other companies signing WCW undercarders. Next thing you know, ECW is not so extreme anymore etc. I'm also being cautious on star quality as I try to be on just about all stats, although given the time period wrestling turning into a bloated industry with too many stars wouldn't be entirely off the mark.

I agree, heck you can do it with written contracts too. It's not like Ted Turner's WCW could ever run out of money .... right? :D

:D

Besides, WCW had problems due to having too many workers (and not using them right) - so why shouldn't they ingame as well?

Guest Ransik

Ok one thing I did notice is Shawn Michaels.

From both HBK's book as well as Bret Hart's book... at this opint in time HBK had a very serious drinking and drug problem. Pretty much to the week this mod starts, Shawn was coming back from an injury where he got piss drunk and loaded up on pills... and got beat up by a group of Navy guys because he was continually hitting on one of their girlfriends.

Personally from reading both books... I'd say Shawn's Small Drug Use should be about 75%.... Hard Drugs at least 50% and Drinking around 60%.

EDIT: You also may want to do a serious uppage with Scott Hall as well... just got to a point where Bret said Hall was basically comatose on Sodoma in a bar and Hennig shaved both his eyebrows off just because the Kliq had been pissing everyone off.

Ok one thing I did notice is Shawn Michaels.

From both HBK's book as well as Bret Hart's book... at this opint in time HBK had a very serious drinking and drug problem. Pretty much to the week this mod starts, Shawn was coming back from an injury where he got piss drunk and loaded up on pills... and got beat up by a group of Navy guys because he was continually hitting on one of their girlfriends.

Personally from reading both books... I'd say Shawn's Small Drug Use should be about 75%.... Hard Drugs at least 50% and Drinking around 60%.

EDIT: You also may want to do a serious uppage with Scott Hall as well... just got to a point where Bret said Hall was basically comatose on Sodoma in a bar and Hennig shaved both his eyebrows off just because the Kliq had been pissing everyone off.

At the same time you don't want them dying in the game.

Guest Ransik
At the same time you don't want them dying in the game.

The whole point is to be as realistic as possible. Hall and Michaels were serious addicts at this time... having them all set to nothing just to keep them from dying seems foolish.

Man, Hennig was all about eyebrow shaving. There was a Marty Jannetty shoot I listened to once and about half of it was about eyebrows.

I'm not against bumping up the drug/alcohol use of these guys but I'm unlikely to go as high as you recommend Ransik for the simple reason that often being that high in multiple vices is certain death very soon. I'm talking Jimmy Snuka DOTT dead within six months every time or your pizza is free levels of mortality which takes more away from the game than it adds.

I agree that you don't want to have a lot of guys with A* overness. To me A* is the absolute peak of popularity and it should be hard to obtain. Hogan, Austin and The Rock would all be A* at the peaks of their careers. If this was a present day mod I wouldn't put anyone at A*. As over as HHH or Cena are can people honestly say they are as popular as those 3 at their peaks. If you are A* (and to a lesser extent A) you are recognisable to not just wrestling fans but also the man in the street.

A* should be a rarity, similaly with a companies popularity. A or A* should be almost impossible to obtain. I would say WWF achieved it twice in their History, once off the back of Hogan and once off Austin/McMahon. I wouldn't say WCW ever achieved A*.

This obviously makes the game tougher but I believe it makes it more realistic.

Just my opinion though

i wouldnt say so i for one preffered the WWF from 1997 to 1998 they may have been the bigger company at that point but deffinatly A* they were not

You seem to forget how huge WCW was at the time. Getting 40,000 people to attend TV shows. Being on Jay Leno a lot. Having Jay Leno, Dennis Rodman, Karl Malone appear on PPV.

No I agree that WCW was bigger than WWF at the time and yes they got huge stars to appear but that also had a lot to do with their money and Ted Turners influence in the media.

All I am arguing is that if A* represents the absolute most popular it is possible to be then it should be hard to obtain. I don't believe WCW ever managed it but realise that is just my opinion and as such you may disagree with it. However in support of my statement.

Highest WCW TV rating ever: 6.03 August 31st 1998. unopposed by Raw

Highest WWF TV rating ever: 8.09 May 10th 1999. Unopposed by Nitro

Highest WCW TV rating opposed: 5.19 August 24th 1998

Highest WWF TV rating opposed: 7.40 May 1st 2000

(Yes I am a geek)

Now I appreciate that is just one way of measuring popularity but I think it clearly shows that whilst WCW was for a long period ahead of WWF at their most popular they were no where near as popular as WWF was at their peak. If WCW were A or A* during this period then what were WWF when they were scoring ratings over 2 points higher?

Archived