TNA's New Beginnings

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Corino is finally giving you some "watchable" hardcore matches. (ratings in the c's instead of D and less).

The new team of MYSTERY STAINS could prove to be interesting over time.

If AJ and Rey rey have the stamina to last an hour, that should be an exciting match. Would expect Shamrock to get some huge wins to build up for a title shot against AJ -- who needs to just file an injuction against Jeff Jarret to ensure the owner doesn't get another title shot for a whle. While Ken may not get the win at the Christmas card, he can still come out looking strong so he can help Styles get some momentum boosts.

I like the idea of an hour long match - but needed to limit the number of other matches to make an impact on expenses. Maybe both of them can hold exhibition iron mans on different weekly ppv's (even if just 30 minutes if there is no one else who has the stamina) or something. Throw a bunch of hype and you might get by with a cheap show? who knows

<p><strong>Explosion</strong></p><p>

Tuesday, week 1, December 2003</p><p>

Chase Family Arena, West Hartford, CT.</p><p> </p><p>

Potter is standing in ring and he welcomes everybody to a new era in TNA and the first episode of Explosion. To celebrate this new dawn, he has booked every champion to defend their titles, against Ernest Miller, Revolution, Amazing Red, Super Crazy and Melina Perez for the World, Tag, X, Hardcore and Ladies Championships respectively. Potter closes by saying he hopes everybody enjoys the show. <strong>C</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Abyss v Shark Boy</strong></p><p>

Abyss is much stronger and toys with Shark Boy for most of the match. He wins in 8:58 by pinfall with The Black Hole. <strong>D-</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>NWA TNA TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP</strong></p><p><strong>

England's Glory v Revolution</strong></p><p>

An average match featuring the usual tag team basics, and it wasn't helped by a lacklustre performance from Bulldog. The champions win when Doug Williams defeated Frankie Kazarian by pinfall with a Chaos Theory. England's Glory make defence number 1 of their NWA TNA World Tag Team titles. <strong>D</strong></p><p>

Spank Wang come to the ring and Spanky starts telling England's Glory how the belts will be theirs after Christmas Cheer. This allows Beer Money to enter from behind and the Tag Team Champions become the victim of a four on two attack. Crowd aren't happy, they want wrestling. <strong>E-</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>TNA LADIES CHAMPIONSHIP</strong></p><p><strong>

Gail Kim v Melina Perez</strong></p><p>

They get wrestling, but it's of a poor quality. The women's matches just can't seem to hit the right spot no matter who is involved. Gail Kim defeated Melina Perez in 7:14 by submission with an Octopus Stretch. Gail Kim makes defence number 2 of her TNA Ladies title. <strong>E</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>TNA X DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP</strong></p><p><strong>

Rey Mysterio Jr v Amazing Red</strong></p><p>

Things improve significantly with the X Division, with Rey putting in a particularly good performance. Rey Mysterio Jr defeated Amazing Red in 13:51 by pinfall with a Springboard Hurricanrana. Rey Mysterio Jr makes defence number 8 of his TNA X Division title. <strong>C-</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Caribbean Cool come down to the ring and Carlito says he has talked to Potter and that his punishment is unchanged and now he is moving on. He and Colt have shifted their focus and will now ensure that they work together in the first ever Ultimate X to enable one of them to walk out victorious and become the number one contender in the X Division. Again, the crowd want less talking and more wrestling, despite Carlito being one of the best stick workers in TNA. <strong>E-</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>TNA HARDCORE CHAMPIONSHIP</strong></p><p><strong>

Ladder Match</strong></p><p><strong>

'Super' Steve Corino v Super Crazy</strong></p><p>

Whilst not a super match, it is still good and showcases the recent upturn in the quality of the hardcore division. Crazy performs a couple of high spots of the ladder, but it is Corino who retrieves the championship belt in 16:05. 'Super' Steve Corino makes defence number 2 of his TNA Hardcore title. <strong>C-</strong></p><p>

Following the match, CM Punk and 'Wildcat' Chris Harris run into the ring and confront Corino. Corino is clearly concerned by their threat. Crowd clearly concerned as they want more wrestling given the new weekly format. <strong>E-</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Ken Shamrock v Jorge Estrade</strong></p><p>

Estrada is off his game in his first big TNA match, and Shamrock shows the gulf in class here. A good match nonetheless, Ken Shamrock defeated Jorge Estrada in 13:52 by submission with an Ankle Lock. <strong>C-</strong></p><p>

'The Ring King' Jeff Jarrett appears on the video screen, and talks about how unhappy he is he will not be getting another rematch for the NWA TNA Championship at Christmas Cheer, and how he's going to take out his frustrations on his assigned opponent instead, Ken Shamrock. The crowd for some reason like this segment. Go figure. <strong>C</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>NWA TNA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP</strong></p><p><strong>

AJ Styles v Ernest Miller</strong></p><p>

A match that suffered due to Miller's poor performance and his tiring towards the end. As a result, AJ wins comfortablyin 17:31 by pinfall with a Styles Clash. AJ Styles makes defence number 5 of his NWA TNA World Heavyweight title. <strong>D</strong></p><p>

Potter then walks out and applauds AJ. He addresses the crowd and says while on the whole he is satisfied with the new format, he feels it needs a little tweaking to get it where he wants it to be. <strong>C</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Show rating: D</strong> - Can be considered a success and increase TNA's popularity (I presume in New England)</p><p>

Attendance: 4370</p><p>

Buy rate: 0.01</p>

<p><strong>Current Christmas Cheer card</strong></p><p>

Sunday, week 4, December 2003</p><p> </p><p>

NWA TNA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT & TNA X DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIPS</p><p>

60 minute Iron Man Match</p><p>

AJ Styles v Rey Mysterio Jr (D+ heat)</p><p> </p><p>

NWA TNA TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP</p><p>

England's Glory v Spank Wang v Beer Money (E+)</p><p> </p><p>

HARDCORE CHAMPIONSHIP</p><p>

Cage Match</p><p>

'Super' Steve Corino v CM Punk v 'Wildcat' Chris Harris (E+)</p><p> </p><p>

ULTIMATE X</p><p>

X Division number one contendership</p><p>

Carlito v Colt Cabana v Frankie Kazarian v Nova v Sheik Abdul Bashir v Psicosis (E)</p><p> </p><p>

Ken Shamrock v 'The Ring King' Jeff Jarrett (C+)</p><p> </p><p>

Sexual Standouts (Mystery & Seaman Stains) v C<em>o</em>cky Connection (E-)</p><p> </p><p>

'The Preacher' Christopher Daniels v Rocky Romero (E)</p>

<p><strong>TNA News</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Xavier has left TNA following expiry of his contract. TNA officials wish him the best in his future endeavours.</p><p> </p><p>

Keiji Sakoda has been signed to a TNA contract.</p><p> </p><p>

TNA has extended the contract by a further six months with the pay per view carrier UrbanXtra.</p>

so a .01 buy rate --- does that make you any money at all? or will this be an expensive couple months without TV? (haven't tried a PPV yet in my small federation, so not sure what costs are involved - or how much money each tick is worth - or the breakeven number of buys)

I'm thinking overall, it could be good as .01 nationwide is better than the 0.0 ratings on small regional tv. Most of your matches were C rated except the most important two (opener and main event) and that's why the overall show was a D. I would have expected better out of Styles (unless he's totally not over in New England where the show was held). Still, if ur E rated in most of the regions, the D show should be a small boost. Now when you get a good C rated show (or b) then you might start hooking more people in.

I do hope the angles are short (less than 6 minutes) so they aren't hurting the show's rating. ;)

NWA TNA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT & TNA X DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIPS

60 minute Iron Man Match

AJ Styles v Rey Mysterio Jr (D+ heat)

Styles can easily carry both titles and bring prestige to both of them.

NWA TNA TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

England's Glory v Spank Wang v Beer Money (E+)

I know it's early still but I'd put the titles on Beer Money and give them a good run with the titles until a more experienced team can challenge them.

HARDCORE CHAMPIONSHIP

Cage Match

'Super' Steve Corino v CM Punk v 'Wildcat' Chris Harris (E+)

I'd put the title back onto Punk and have him hold it for a few months.

ULTIMATE X

X Division number one contendership

Carlito v Colt Cabana v Frankie Kazarian v Nova v Sheik Abdul Bashir v Psicosis (E) Bashir feuding with Styles over the X Division title = great.

Ken Shramrock v 'The Ring King' Jeff Jarrett (C+)

I'd have Jarrett win. He has more to offer the company in the long run that Shamrock, although you've done a good job building both of these men.

Sexual Standouts (Mystery & Seaman Stains) v ****y Connection (E-)

This one could go either way and it's not really a match that interests me. I'll go with the Sexual Standouts for comedy value. Both teams aren't good

'The Preacher' Christopher Daniels v Rocky Romero (E)

Daniels has to go over in this one. I know you've said you were struggling with him but simply have him win squash matches like this before big push.

so a .01 buy rate --- does that make you any money at all? or will this be an expensive couple months without TV? (haven't tried a PPV yet in my small federation, so not sure what costs are involved - or how much money each tick is worth - or the breakeven number of buys)

I'm thinking overall, it could be good as .01 nationwide is better than the 0.0 ratings on small regional tv. Most of your matches were C rated except the most important two (opener and main event) and that's why the overall show was a D. I would have expected better out of Styles (unless he's totally not over in New England where the show was held). Still, if ur E rated in most of the regions, the D show should be a small boost. Now when you get a good C rated show (or b) then you might start hooking more people in.

I do hope the angles are short (less than 6 minutes) so they aren't hurting the show's rating. ;)

I never made a profit on any episode of Impact. I made $2003 (don't snigger at the back! :D) on the first Explosion, but that was purely down to taking just over $50,000 on the gate.

Whilst I do have a nationwide audience with the pay per view, I am concerned it's going to lower the buy rates for the main pay per views, and it's nearly three months before TV negotiations can resume.

Styles is only an E for popularity in New England (risen now to E+) which hampered the rating for the main event. I am looking to visit the less popular regions with the weekly pay per views, purely to try and boost popularity there.

Angles were short, took up around 12 minutes of the 2 hour show.

Destiny seems to like CM Punk. :D

I have two ideas with the iron man, one of which involves keeping both titles where they are. I'm undecided which way to go as yet.

Regarding the tag teams, I'm trying to build the division with some regular teams of wrestlers who are likely to stay long term.

As for Daniels, I think one of the reasons his matches are rated lowly is that he isn't over in America yet. They have been slowly improving though.

I never made a profit on any episode of Impact. I made $2003 (don't snigger at the back! :D) on the first Explosion, but that was purely down to taking just over $50,000 on the gate.

Whilst I do have a nationwide audience with the pay per view, I am concerned it's going to lower the buy rates for the main pay per views, and it's nearly three months before TV negotiations can resume.

Styles is only an E for popularity in New England (risen now to E+) which hampered the rating for the main event. I am looking to visit the less popular regions with the weekly pay per views, purely to try and boost popularity there..

hey dude, a profit is a profit!!! Hopefully it doesn't hurt the big PPV, but we'll find out in a couple weeks. I almost wonder if you should run the house shows in the less popular areas and these PPV's in your home bases (SE and Midsouth if I recall) to hopefully get a better show and higher ratings. Would a C+ show help raise the popularity across the board?

of course I see the genius of this plan too - since you were able to go into enemy territory, draw a big crowd, and earn a profit. Once you can boost the pop in these outlying areas, that should increase your buys and also your profits in future visits.

I'll put together some predictions for the supershow too. Only one right off that I disagree with (lol) but may mix up a couple others too

I don't run house shows as TNA is still at cult size and no wrestlers are on, or willing to sign written contracts.

I should be able to do my next episode of Explosion tomorrow.

You could book touring shows, low end, hour long weekly shows with only six or eight people to save money. You might run into that 3 match penalty though really quick though.

- Sonfaro

Explosion

Tuesday, week 2, December 2003

Cowan Spectrum, Moscow, ID.

Beer Money v Amazing Red & B-Boy

The opening match features an unlikely pairing in Red and B-Boy, and as a result Beer Money display superior teamwork and class throughout. Beer Money defeated Amazing Red and B-Boy in 15:27 when Robert Roode defeated B-Boy by pinfall with a DUI. D-

Potter is sitting in his office and tells TNA fans that on Thursday for the next two weeks they are going to broadcast a second show, which will be different from Explosion. It will be called Rising Stars and will feature TNA's younger and developing talent. If it proves successful, then the show will continue. Potter starts to tell the fans what TNA has lined up for Explosion and gets as far as saying that Steve Corino, CM Punk and 'Wildcat' Chris Harris will each pick a partner and face off in a hardcore three way tag match when Jeff Jarrett bursts in and gets in Potter's face. He demands that the JWO have a piece of AJ and Rey tonight as he doesn't see why they are in the main event at Christmas Cheer and he is stuck fighting Ken Shamrock. Potter ponders for a moment, before booking a handicap match - AJ, Rey and himself versus four of Jarrett's World Order. As a twist, Shamrock will do colour commentary for the match. C

'Preacher' Christopher Daniels v Shark Boy

Daniels continues his impressive winning start in TNA by showing strong against Shark Boy, winning in 8:56 by pinfall with a Last Rites. D-

Delirious v Keiji Sakoda

Sakoda is dominant in his TNA debut, but the crowd aren't happy with a match essentially between two jobbers. Sakoda wins in 9:13 by pinfall with a Roaring Elbow. F+

Caribbean Cool are in the ring, saying how they will overcome Revolution in tag team action tonight, then do it all again in the Ultimate X at Christmas Cheer. The crowd is dead at the moment. E-

Briscoe Brothers v The Extremeists

This match shows little improvement, with "Boring" chants coming from sections of the crowd. Axl Rotten put in a poor performance. Come back Impact, we miss you! The Extremists defeated Briscoe Brothers in 9:39 when The Sandman defeated Jay Briscoe by pinfall with a White Russian Leg Sweep. E+

Caribbean Cool v Revolution

While things improved a little with this match thanks mainly to Frankie Kazarian putting in a good performance, both members of Caribbean Cool were off their game. Despite this, the more experienced duo won in 15:41 when Colt Cabana defeated Nova by pinfall with a Coolness Personified. D+

The camera is watching British Bulldog walking backstage with a cup of coffee. He reaches outside the locker room of Rey Mysterio Jr. Rey opens the door outwards, just in time to accidentally hit a passing by British Bulldog square in the face, flooring him. Rey doesn't notice what he has done, and walks off while Bulldog is sprawled on the floor, drenched in coffee and looking mad. C-

Hardcore Match

'Super' Steve Corino & Abyss v CM Punk & Sabu v 'Wildcat' Chris Harris & Rocky Romero

Blood flows, weapons aplenty but still the crowd aren't overly enthusiastic. This hasn't been a particularly good night for TNA. Corino gets the win over Romero in 15:31. D-

AJ Styles, Potter & Rey Mysterio Jr v 'The Ring King' Jeff Jarrett, Ernest Miller & England Expects

Shamrock did well on commentary with Tenay and West. An incensed Bulldog pummels Rey after the opening bell, leaving him in a bad way for the rest of the match. He is tenacious and fights back strongly, putting in a great performance. However, the end came in 19:45 when Ernest Miller defeated Rey Mysterio Jr by pinfall with a Thrust Kick. Has this match saved the show? C

Jarrett is recovering from the match when Shamrock spies his chance. He leaves the broadcast table, confronts Jarrett before laying into him with punches, before going in the mount position and laying more punches on Jarrett. Potter eventually gets Shamrock off Jarrett, Shamrock having that familiar 'snapped' look in his eyes as Explosion goes off air. C+

Show rating: D+ - the show can be considered a success and should increase TNA's popularity in the North West.

Attendance: 3107

Buy rate: 0.02

Current Christmas Cheer card

Sunday, week 4, December 2003

NWA TNA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT & TNA X DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIPS

60 minute Iron Man Match

AJ Styles v Rey Mysterio Jr (C- heat)

NWA TNA TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

England's Glory v Spank Wang v Beer Money (D-)

HARDCORE CHAMPIONSHIP

Cage Match

'Super' Steve Corino v CM Punk v 'Wildcat' Chris Harris (E+)

ULTIMATE X

X Division number one contendership

Carlito v Colt Cabana v Frankie Kazarian v Nova v Sheik Abdul Bashir v Psicosis (E+)

Ken Shamrock v 'The Ring King' Jeff Jarrett (C+)

Sexual Standouts (Mystery & Seaman Stains) v Cocky Connection (E-)

'The Preacher' Christopher Daniels v Rocky Romero (E)

Rising Stars

Thursday, week 2, December 2003

Shakopee Center, Shakopee, MN.

Writer's note - This new show will feature young, developing and emerging talents, and will only feature short write ups on the matches, pretty much what is in the game summary.

Potter is in the ring and address the TNA fans in attendance and details what Rising Stars is all about. He hopes this innovative show will be a big success as it will purely focus on young and emerging talent and wrestling action. C-

Amazing Red v Alex Shane

Amazing Red defeated Alex Shane in 9:26 by pinfall with a Code Red. D-

TNA LADIES CHAMPIONSHIP

Gail Kim v Sara Del Ray

Gail Kim defeated Sara Del Ray in 5:33 by submission with an Octopus Stretch. Gail Kim makes defence number 3 of her TNA Ladies title. E-

Sexual Standouts v B-Boy & Nigel McGuinness

Sexual Standouts defeated B-Boy and Nigel McGuinness in 10:43 when Seaman Stains defeated Nigel McGuinness by pinfall with a Tidal Wave. D-

Abyss v Jimmy Yang

Abyss defeated Jimmy Yang in 19:02 by pinfall with The Black Hole. D

Potter returns to the ring, thanks the fans for the attendance and hopes they enjoyed the show. C

Show rating: D

Attedance: 902

For the money men...

The second Explosion lost me about $20,000, although the attendance was around 1100 less in a less popular area. I may heed advice and keep this to the Mid South and South East.

The first Rising Stars lost me around $700, though at the moment I used Tenay and West as they are my only announcers, so that cost me more than what I lost. I will look to bring in a cheap announcer for Rising Stars.

For the money men...

The second Explosion lost me about $20,000, although the attendance was around 1100 less in a less popular area. I may heed advice and keep this to the Mid South and South East.

The first Rising Stars lost me around $700, though at the moment I used Tenay and West as they are my only announcers, so that cost me more than what I lost. I will look to bring in a cheap announcer for Rising Stars.

A cheaper announcer will help. But I think you should consider nixing a tag match next time. Until you get more popular in the area, I wouldn't suggest having more than eight workers in ring. Heck, If you can get only six, that would benefit right there.

Oh, and is Jarrett on a written contract? If so, He should probably be involved on this show each and every time in some way. His contract is set (if it is written) so use him often.

Of course, this is your game, so, do what you feel man. Again, good job.

- Sonfaro

"Rising Stars" - that sort of show was what I meant by "house shows" - I just used the wrong terminology for the game. Thanks for clarifying Sonfaro!!

another idea to consider on your announcer is one of them (west or tenay) and a young up and comer wrestler with great mike skills. Might be a way to help someone gain some popularity or something (Daniels?). of course signing another young announcer for less money could be an asset too.

Granted, bring out your written contract guys and get your money's worth out of them -- you pay them whether they wrestle, talk, or sit at home. Couple of them in main event might help sell the Rising Stars and boost the rating. Gee - they gave you a D rating which was almost as good as the Explosion ppv with all the stars. a few tweaks and this concept will be a winner for you!

so far your Explosion experiment has netted you a profit. If you are able to alternate between popular areas and the wild frontier, you might even turn a profit for the month!!! Hopefully your buy rate continues to increase each show too

I have no wrestlers on written contracts, I'm not able to sign them at the level TNA is currently at, so having better wrestlers (at least those that are well paid) on Rising Stars isn't an option.

Explosion is now -$18,000 so I'm reverting that back to Mid South and South East, and using Rising Stars to gain popularity in the other areas and to try and develop wrestlers, while not using it to build story lines or hype pay per views. Rising Stars won't be on TV, it will be a small, weekly, one hour event.

Archived