White on Fedor: ‘We tried everything’

darthsiddus2

On the morning of negotiations with M-1 Global and Fedor Emelianenko, Dana White didn’t just wake with a good feeling. The UFC president says he knew he was going to sign the top-ranked heavyweight in the world.

“This is going to happen,” White said he told UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta. “It’s going to happen today. We’re going to make this thing happen.”

Days later, however, Emelianenko is back in Russia and still outside the UFC. White was adamant during a media conference call Friday that the fault belongs to M-1 Global.

“I was f---ing miserable, miserable … because we couldn’t make this deal,” White said. “I was so confident we were going to get this done because we were willing to do it. We were willing to make a deal at almost any cost.”

The “almost” involves co-promoting. White said he won’t do a deal that includes co-promotion, and M-1 Global President Vadim Finkelstein has said he won’t do one that excludes it.

“We built this business, this entire freaking industry,” White said. “How are they going to come in and help us co-promote? It’s basically them coming and saying, ‘We’ve got this guy and some people say he might be the best heavyweight in the world. So for that, we want half your business.’ Yeah, OK. That sh-t probably works in Russia. Not here.”

White added that the Fertittas’ gaming license would hinder co-promoting with M-1.

“People from other countries just don’t walk in and jump in business with the Fertitta brothers,” he said. “There has to be full background checks and all kinds of crazy sh-t. It doesn’t work that way. It’s impossible; it will never happen.”

Other than co-promotion, White said he had relented on previous sticking points such as allowing Emelianenko to compete in sambo tournaments. He characterized himself as “the nicest Dana ever” during negotiations and described his offer to Emelianenko as “amazing.” No figures were discussed, but White guaranteed the Russian would not be offered a better deal.

“He got offered a f---ing assload of money,” White said. “A ton of money, everything he wanted. He can go fight in sambo every f---ing Thursday night if he wants to. He can do everything he wanted to. We showed them nothing but respect.”

White sounded equal parts angry and exasperated Friday. He had said he didn’t want to discuss Emelianenko but then did numerous times over the hour-long call.

“It’s insanity to turn down a deal like this,” White said. “To turn down a deal like this, you don’t care about proving you’re the best in the world. You don’t want to fight the best in the world. You don’t care about money. How do you deal with something like that?”

Several times White reiterated that the door to a deal was still open, then he kind of closed it by saying he was over the deal and didn’t want to discuss Emelianenko anymore, then he opened it again by saying M-1 could call him right then and they could reach an agreement if they’d budge on co-promoting.

By the call’s end White was back to questioning Emelianenko’s status as the best in the world and wondering why the media cares so much about a heavyweight who will not challenge himself in the sport’s top promotion.

In that way, the UFC wagons have circled. Might as well. M-1’s are going round and round, too, and against everything Dana White was certain of when he woke one morning this week, Fedor Emelianenko is still not in the UFC.

there ya have it according to Sherdog

Why not just let M-1 put their logo on the poster and "co-promote" like with Affliction. its not like anyone here is going to care about M-1 especially after all the b.s. if profits are going to be 80/20 hell why not. Best case scenario for UFC is Brock beats him and poof there goes all of M-1's power and they just paid all that money to legitimize Lesnar and ruin Fedor against top competition. Fedor needs to listen to Aleksander, if it wasn't for Vladim Fedor would literally be set for life (i knows he is already raking in the door) but just to UFC and fight for two years then retire on all that money and go back to help run M-1

nobody wins from this both sides are being selfish....... White wants Fedor and says he's tried everything but in reality he hasn't. You can only chase after something for so long before you have to stop. In all honesty we can sit here and say White is a prick or fedor and his manager are that but really we don't know. We don't know what the problem is we can assume but we just don't know.

Why not just let M-1 put their logo on the poster and "co-promote" like with Affliction. its not like anyone here is going to care about M-1 especially after all the b.s. if profits are going to be 80/20 hell why not. Best case scenario for UFC is Brock beats him and poof there goes all of M-1's power and they just paid all that money to legitimize Lesnar and ruin Fedor against top competition. Fedor needs to listen to Aleksander, if it wasn't for Vladim Fedor would literally be set for life (i knows he is already raking in the door) but just to UFC and fight for two years then retire on all that money and go back to help run M-1

If it works anything like boxing, co-promoters must be certified to promote within each given jurisdiction. This means that both sides have to keep their noses clean and go through the certification process and follow the rules to the letter, together. If one screws up, they're both penalized. It's one reason Bob Arum never wanted to work with Don King (because Don King was notorious for doing shady **** that would reflect badly on his "partner"). That's what Dana was referring to with the background checks and such. UFC is a known quantity. Anywhere they want to stage a fight, they can because they've got their (administrative) **** together. M-1 probably isn't the same way. And with unequal partnerships, one partner has to take up more slack than the other. Does UFC really want to put their rep on the line on behalf of M-1? Obviously not.

When you're the big dog, you don't let chihuahuas dictate how things are going to go down. Fedor is awesome, but do you really want to set the precedent that UFC can be, essentially, held up, for one fighter? What happens when the next sensational fighter shows up with his own representation? They point to Fedor's deal and say they want the same thing (or better) and because UFC had done it before, they couldn't very well say 'we don't do co-promotions'.

But I think Dana made a mistake here. Tell me, if you're Fedor and Dana goes to the press saying, basically, you aint all that because it's obvious you don't want to face the best in the world (read between the lines: you're skurred) or you're greedy or what-have-you, are you going to be looking to make a deal? Or are you going to stick to your guns, if only to spite him?

i say white should just wait for his contract to run out fedor said he doesn't care if he gets a written contract or not, he only has 3 fights left for m-1 right? i can wait :) hopefully then it works out. but no one can blame fedor he is actually sticking out a contract where he could really make more money somewhere else

To be honest i am not sure what Dana is talking about, Fedor has a contract, it lasts for 3 fights and that is about as simple as it goes. M1-Global see Fedor as their main asset and they are not so interested in loosing that asset, which is understandable.

I actually live in Russia now where M-1 operates and i am more than certain that Fedor is getting good money with them and he is considered a living legend in Russia. Nobody in Russia really cares about the UFC or what goes on there and they see Fedor as someone which can help promote the sport at the national level, which could very well be more important for Fedor than any cash Dana can throw at him.

Personally i would like him to go to the UFC, beat the crap out of Brock and Couture and retire as the best ever (once he beats those 2 there is nobody really at HW worth talking about anyway) I think he will probably join them in about a year and a half when this contract ends, maybe some more stars will climb the HW division by then.

wow this really sucks but i feel ufc i should they be forced to co promote...

Why?

that's what ya get for trying to work like a monopoly when someone else has a product you don't have. Take it or leave it! So tried everything is BS.

Yeah, a monopoly... with tons of other promotions out there. Is the WWE a monopoly because they sign workers to no compete clauses? No, it's smart if you can afford to.

Why not just let M-1 put their logo on the poster and "co-promote" like with Affliction.

They offered allowing Fedor to wear as much M-1 logo oriented stuff, they just wouldn't co-promote saying, "UFC and M-1 Present" as they shouldn't.

White wants Fedor and says he's tried everything but in reality he hasn't.

Well, let's say that Zuffa has tried everything to the point of not hurting itself.

When you're the big dog, you don't let chihuahuas dictate how things are going to go down. Fedor is awesome, but do you really want to set the precedent that UFC can be, essentially, held up, for one fighter? What happens when the next sensational fighter shows up with his own representation? They point to Fedor's deal and say they want the same thing (or better) and because UFC had done it before, they couldn't very well say 'we don't do co-promotions'.

QFT.

But I think Dana made a mistake here. Tell me, if you're Fedor and Dana goes to the press saying, basically, you aint all that because it's obvious you don't want to face the best in the world (read between the lines: you're skurred) or you're greedy or what-have-you, are you going to be looking to make a deal? Or are you going to stick to your guns, if only to spite him?

Dana saying that has had zero effect on the negotiations. Especially since the only thing they are sticking to their guns about is co-promotion.

i say white should just wait for his contract to run out fedor said he doesn't care if he gets a written contract or not, he only has 3 fights left for m-1 right?

To be honest i am not sure what Dana is talking about, Fedor has a contract, it lasts for 3 fights and that is about as simple as it goes.

It should be in quotations. His M-1 "contract". Vidam has been his manager for a number of years and Fedor also owns a peice of M-1 iirc. His "contract" is useless for M-1 because it'll be re-up'd or tinkered with to suit their needs.

Fedor and, in my opinion moreso, Vidam are wanting to co-promote to extend the name value of M-1 - a competitor with the UFC. That's it. It's not about getting Fedor more money, he already has enough. It's about enhancing their own product which they are using Fedor's name to get recognized and hoping it will grow in the future. Why would any company that has skittles for brains co-promote with a lesser rival where you gain nothing. Sure you get Fedor, but the UFC and MMA will go on without Fedor, and in all honesty in the States where the UFC gathers the majority of their money Fedor is not a great well known name. The "casual" fan could care less if he signs on not. I'll say this one more time: It makes absolutely zero business sense to co-promote with M-1.

When you're the big dog, you don't let chihuahuas dictate how things are going to go down.

How is this sweet? Who is he going to fight in Strikeforce? They have... three decent Heavyweights, not even great heavyweights. And if they ever book Rogers/Fedor they potentially ruin their one heavyweight prospect by making him look a fool.

What a letdown. Strikeforce? Honestly. Who do they even have there? Brett Rogers, Alistair Overeem .. Josh Barnett, eh.

Fedor and his managers, agents missed a huge boat right here.

Here's what Jim Ross had to say on the subject of Fedor vs. Lesnar, etc.

Fedor vs. Lesnar: "O.K. so Fedor isn't scared of Brock Lesnar but I made you look. Fedor's "people" will continue to catch the heat of Fedor not signing with UFC for "ridiculous money" as in BIG bucks but if Fedor wants to compete in UFC then he'll push to get the deal done and fight Lesnar for a reported $5M guarantee. Two things here: Fedor's sponsor/entourage want UFC to facilitate the growth and exposure of their rival MMA company M-1 which is absolutely ludicrous and laughable from a business point of view. Secondly, look for Brock Lesnar to perhaps get a new deal now that all the Fedor $$$$ have been thrown around whether those numbers are accurate or not and my feeling is that they are probably embellished somewhat. I think that UFC officials have already talked too much about a match, Brock vs. Fedor, that they haven't got in their pocket. Why build anticipation for a fight that one can't guarantee?"

It seems like Fedor or his people, think they have control over everything. UFC can't make him sign, and they know it. It's almost that he'd rather try to make UFC look inferior by not having him, which isn't the case.

Sure, UFC would LOVE Fedor, but to think they need him to gain more popularity is ludacris.

It seems like Fedor or his people, think they have control over everything. UFC can't make him sign, and they know it. It's almost that he'd rather try to make UFC look inferior by not having him, which isn't the case.

Sure, UFC would LOVE Fedor, but to think they need him to gain more popularity is ludacris.

plus, they must really not need the money/pop because as far as i can see, strike force is a huge risk with little gain.

If he dominates, people will say it's only because he's facing inferior cans in strike force while ducking brock. If he losses via an upset, he's a joke in the USA.

Seems like a lose/lose to me, done only to say "ha, see your not the only gig in america" to UFC.

If he doesn't want to fight in the UFC, fine, but i wouldn't risk his hype in america, little risk as there is in fighting strike force guys, by giving one of their heavyweights a chance to score an upset.

He still has 3 fights on his M-1 Global and Strikeforce contracts so when he finishes those hopefully the UFC will sign him up before M-1 can put him on lockdown again.

I guess on the brightside this gives Lesnar the time to get more experience and if he can hold on to the UFC belt for the next two years or so and Fedor keeps winning this fight would only be bigger.

Lets hope to see Fedor in the UFC in 2011 lol.

He still has 3 fights on his M-1 Global and Strikeforce contracts so when he finishes those hopefully the UFC will sign him up before M-1 can put him on lockdown again.

Didn't think this needed restating:

Vidam, his manager, is majority owner of M-1 and Fedor is also a part-owner. This "contract" means nothing. They are not going to do anything without M-1.

No ACCbiggz you didnt need to restate it I already know Fedor owns part of M-1. And yes I know he'll probably never sign with the UFC without M-1 "co promoting" the event. Let me restate myself.

Fedor has said in a interview I saw on Sherdog that he is fighting three more fights under M-1 contract looks like those fights will go down as co promotions with Strikeforce. After all that is over I hope he'll agree to a UFC contract without demanding M-1 co promote the event which will never happen nor should it.

I doubt he'll ever fight in the UFC he doesnt really need to he's been the top HW for 6 years if he retired tomorrow he'd be considered the best HW fighter the sport has seen so far but i'd still love to see him take own Lesnar and Couture. And to that same end the UFC doesnt need Fedor they'll continue to grow rapidly without him but if the worlds best fighter doesnt fight in the biggest promotion at some point that sucks for us as fans.

Archived