The Green Ranger to UFC?

mjdgoldeneye

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Mighty-Morphin-Power-Ranger-morphs-into-an-MMA-f?urn=mma,186758

Jason David Frank aka Tommy aka The Green/White/Red Power Ranger is trying to become an MMA fighter. As hopeless as it is, I REALLY REALLY want this to happen... :p

Well, he does have a great background with Karate, so... Here's Hoping :p

I heard some rumblings about this on a different board. He looks much different than he did when he was on Power Rangers... Then again that was nearly 14 years ago. Here's a pic I found which shows what he looks like today.

http://i30.tinypic.com/34qr488.jpg

I've also saw one match of his on YouTube. He knocked the guy out fairly early in the match. Couldn't really tell if he was good or if the other guy just sucked. I forget who it was against.

And yes, I was a big Power Rangers fan back in the day.

:p

lol man i already seen the comments on this someones hoping he comes out to go go power rangers... well i liked his karate on the show (i know it was fake) but im not sure if he can make it to mma. does anyone know what types of karate he knows?

I'm pretty sure in the match I saw of his they were calling it a muay thai battle and all that so I assume he's trained in muay thai.

holly crap i just did a wiki search for him after i posted this man the guy did a lot in karate he's a sixth black belt in some type of karate it really didnt say and he also started his own style called Toso Kune Do and he has 4 schools teaching Rising Sun Karate. man he sounds bad but how will he do in a real mma fight? i'd like to know non after reading all of that :)

edit: is this the fight ur talking about?

lol he knocked the guy out!

well i dont know who melvin is but once he gets a few fights he could always change trainers. i read he as a good stand up on you tube but im guessing no one knows his ground game. im taking it he's probably never really did any ground training for mma prior to him wanting to go to mma so he should be training now so who knows how good he's going to be

Melvin is a fighter in the UFC, not a trainer. He isn't at a great camp and he could change camps now. It likely has more to do with him not wanting to relocate to train. Winning fights has nothing to do with that at all. We won't know his true skill until he enters into a true MMA fight... but his "credentials" and who they say he is training with don't lend me to believe this is anything substantial.

so u dont think he will mount to anything in mma because of his training camp and credentials? i for one could see him winning a few fights but i dont think he'll make it to ufc because of his age unless he does ultimate fighter and they pick him up for ratings (even though im sure its not going to make a big difference)

GO GO POWER RANGERS!

This is so awesome. Aaah, the memories.. the evil characters were so great in the series. And of course the mechas. But yeah, seems to be too old. Dragonzord, megazord.. Titanos or whatever it was.. Wow. I have to take a look at youtube once again.

Melvin is a fighter in the UFC, not a trainer. He isn't at a great camp and he could change camps now. It likely has more to do with him not wanting to relocate to train. Winning fights has nothing to do with that at all. We won't know his true skill until he enters into a true MMA fight... but his "credentials" and who they say he is training with don't lend me to believe this is anything substantial.

That is something I can fully Agree with.

Now, If he was training with say ATT or Jacksons or something a little more credible, then I'd really be expecting huge stuff out of the guy. I'm still a power ranger at heart (Loved the series as a kid) and hope the best for this guy

He's also 36 years old, so we'll see how much training he's actually done. Training with Melvin Guillard doesn't impress me.

I'm more amazed that he got away with being a 22 year old playing a 15 year old (or however old they were supposed to be) back then. Was he the guy who kept coming back to train each new group?

I hope you know that he wasnt him in the PR suit right? but an asian stunt double,

But Hate to admit it but I liked power rangers, The original owned and so did Power Rangers in space lol

Tommy was also apart of the crappy PR: Dino Thunder series as the black ranger and mentor to the other rangers lol

Best episode though was "forever Red" where every Red Ranger there ever was returned and teamed up!!!

Well, to be fair most teen shows the actors are always about 5-7 years older than the ages of their characters, at least when I was a kid. The movie Clueless is a good example - Stacey Dash was 29 playing a 17 year old.

Though it happens all the time that is not a good example as she is clearly a witch. Who still looks the exact same, which is gorgeous. I means she is 43 now and hasn't aged a day.

lol y hate on the tattoos? i hope he does ok but im sure he's not going to be great. i still cant wait to see him fight hopefully he lasts past the first round lol. going by his age he should be in his prime if he's been fighting in mma previously right? i noticed a lot of athletes hit there prime in there 30's so shouldn't he be in the best shape of his life?

• 4 weeks later...
I hope you know that he wasnt him in the PR suit right? but an asian stunt double\

Only half true. He didn't do the costumed fights, they spliced together footage from the Japanese versions. But when he was unmorphed you could clearly see that he and Jason (the red ranger) were the only ones with actual martial arts experience.

He's also 36 years old, so we'll see how much training he's actually done. Training with Melvin Guillard doesn't impress me.

Doesn't matter, the guy is a legit monster. He is a 6th degree black belt with over ten awards in his trophy case and an American Karate Association hall of famer. So... yeah. His only deterrent is his age but other than that, I highly doubt he won't find any success in mixed martial arts.

I'd pay to see him fight. In the long run, isn't that what really matters?

This.

Doesn't matter, the guy is a legit monster. He is a 6th degree black belt with over ten awards in his trophy case and an American Karate Association hall of famer. So... yeah. His only deterrent is his age but other than that, I highly doubt he won't find any success in mixed martial arts.

Because as we've seen, this always translates well to MMA. lol.

Archived