OK, typically I am in here asking questions, and not contributing a whole lot to the forums. I thought of this idea earlier today rather than doing actual work in my office...

What are your favorite "original" angle/push/storyline/match or whatever that you have come up with? So many times we ask for suggestions on how to handle a specific situation but rarely do we ever get to gloat about the original ideas we have come up. So here we go, go ahead and gloat!

(Mine will be forthcoming later after I think about it a bit...)

OK, typically I am in here asking questions, and not contributing a whole lot to the forums. I thought of this idea earlier today rather than doing actual work in my office...

What are your favorite "original" angle/push/storyline/match or whatever that you have come up with? So many times we ask for suggestions on how to handle a specific situation but rarely do we ever get to gloat about the original ideas we have come up. So here we go, go ahead and gloat!

(Mine will be forthcoming later after I think about it a bit...)

I ran an angle ripping off the Syndicate in my lengthy NYCW game. Basically it was Grandmaster Phunk, Sean Deeley, and Stevie Grayson as suit wearing *******s called the Empire. I always loved that angle.

I also did a fun angle in CGC where I brought in McWade brothers as McWade security (requested the security alt) where they were protecting George DeColt from the Elite. Then in the end of the angle George DeColt eventually turned heel on his own sons because he said they were spoiled brats.

I am not really sure how original mine really are haha, but I like them. A few of my favorite things ive done in the game I am playing right now...

I have formed an alliance between Hulk Hogan & Superstar Billy Graham who the top heels in the WWF right now (D.O.T.T.) and they were on a mission to get the belt back for Graham, which they did...Then Andre the Giant was named the #1 contender, so they were feuding with him, usually by beating the crud out of Bob Backlund and getting Andre to run in and save him, then attacking him. The one time it looked like Andre needed backlund's help, backlund came out and turned on Andre, and now has joined Hogan & Graham along with his long time enemy The Grand Wizard (who is now his manager). Andre & Bob are set to fight at my End of the Month even now (game is currently in August 83)

Another idea that I am excited about but haven't officially done yet is I have Steve Borden (AKA Sting) in my development territory and when he is ready to be called up to the main roster, I am going to bring him in as Stunning Steve Blassie, the son of Classie Freddie Blassie, who will manage him (if i can "magically" keep the old man from retiring haha)

Im also controlling the MACW but having a tough time getting as involved in that promotion, but i did have a good feud going with Roddy Piper & Ole Anderson, in which Piper was able to shave Anderson's Beard and Head to end the feud...

So yea, nothing really outside the formula of old school wrestling, but enjoyable :)

Probably using stables.

Used a ton of stables and alliances in my Generation Supreme Game. Whether its the fun Big Money Inc, the current Money-Remo-Newton-Biggie group, the Four Kings, the rather useless Golden Faction, or the warring DaVE factions, its been a constant.

But its definitely not just limited to me running the SWF. Its just a format I really like. I had some plans for a TCW diary game, built around stables. Put togehter some ideas for Burning Hammer diary at one point, built around stables. I started messing with a Montreal mod 1997 WWF game, and one of my main storylines was adding the tag team of Batista and Test (good chem, but they both need a spell in development first) to D-X and then having Triple H turn on Michaels to take leadership, setting up a Triple H-HBK feud to take Triple H to the top. Even the ideas I've played around with for a current-day WWE game mostly revolve around stables - several on ECW and one main one on Smackdown headed by CM Punk.

The goals and reasoning behind these alliances change from game to game, but I do like the use of a good stable...

Any excuse to plug the Frontier Combat Kingdom...

I recently ran a bunch of angles in which my roster were being drug tested, which I thought was quite good and fairly original. Sort of taking the real-life backstage drama concerning Wellness Policy violations and whathaveyou and merging it with the on-screen story. I felt there was a reality to it, because if wrestling was real, submitting to drug testing procedures is the type of thing wrestlers would have to do. There's something about seeing Jeremy Stone; The Canadian Wrestling Machine, one of the most famous men in Canada, forced to pee in a cup in front of a small bespeckled man that is both absurd and real to me.

Anyway, I did a lot of research and I thought it was cool. My viewership hasn't responded much to it, but I'm assuming I lost most of them when I took that month-long nap, so I assume they'll catch up. It's a shame though, because it's one of those things where I'm toying with conventions and am wondering if I went too far.

Any excuse to plug the Frontier Combat Kingdom...

I recently ran a bunch of angles in which my roster were being drug tested, which I thought was quite good and fairly original. Sort of taking the real-life backstage drama concerning Wellness Policy violations and whathaveyou and merging it with the on-screen story. I felt there was a reality to it, because if wrestling was real, submitting to drug testing procedures is the type of thing wrestlers would have to do. There's something about seeing Jeremy Stone; The Canadian Wrestling Machine, one of the most famous men in Canada, forced to pee in a cup in front of a small bespeckled man that is both absurd and real to me.

Anyway, I did a lot of research and I thought it was cool. My viewership hasn't responded much to it, but I'm assuming I lost most of them when I took that month-long nap, so I assume they'll catch up. It's a shame though, because it's one of those things where I'm toying with conventions and am wondering if I went too far.

I thought it was a brilliant approach myself. I think I lot of readers have held off on commenting to see where you are going with it, to see if its just part of the storylines or what. But its definitely a great idea. And I dobut you've lost your readers.

I thought it was a brilliant approach myself. I think I lot of readers have held off on commenting to see where you are going with it, to see if its just part of the storylines or what. But its definitely a great idea. And I dobut you've lost your readers.

I suppose some ambiguity was inevitable. Diary readers, indeed all internet wrestling fans, are used to a definite separation of kayfabe and 'backstage reality', but that's not how I roll. All kayfabe. All the time.

Stables are always fun. I think the current mindset on them, at least from WWE's standpoint, is 'less is more'. If you don't have a million little factions running around, you can strongly promote one (e.g. Legacy) as being different and especially threatening. Valid to a point, but I can see how a more stable-centric business model could work. It's more old school in a way. You can keep a particular stable vs stable storyline going longer than a singles vs single, due to the wealth of match options, even if some of your guys get hurt or poached.

I suppose some ambiguity was inevitable. Diary readers, indeed all internet wrestling fans, are used to a definite separation of kayfabe and 'backstage reality', but that's not how I roll. All kayfabe. All the time.

Stables are always fun. I think the current mindset on them, at least from WWE's standpoint, is 'less is more'. If you don't have a million little factions running around, you can strongly promote one (e.g. Legacy) as being different and especially threatening. Valid to a point, but I can see how a more stable-centric business model could work. It's more old school in a way. You can keep a particular stable vs stable storyline going longer than a singles vs single, due to the wealth of match options, even if some of your guys get hurt or poached.

As much as I realize you keep everything utterly kayfabe, it still made me hesitate and wonder.

One thing my diary has taught me is the value of moderation. Any angle or match type loses its appeal if you use it too often. And stables are the same, and I think I came close to that overkill point. Its not necessary or even a good idea to have 50 of them. But with three brands, there is really only one true stable in the E currently (Legacy, as I don't really count the Hart Dynasty) and one alliance (Regal, Jackson, Kozlov). Having a stable or two is a great way to give focus to some workers who are just kinda floating aimlessly without much purpose. If the E was trying not to use them to give Legacy more importance, I don't think its a great approach. Having Orton and his cronies booked a bit stronger (in my opinion) would be a better way to do that.

Other storyline I've enjoyed...

NOTBPW Power League. I took the 8 top guys in the company and over the course of 4 months they all fought each other, twice. At the end of the 4 months, whoever won the most matches become the Power League Champion.

It simplified booking, made every fight important, and with everything being so clean and simple, it made even the simplest angle pop. Jeremy Stone took an early lead but halfway through, he was attacked backstage by Bloodstone with single chair shot to the knee, and from there it was all downhill. John Maverick, Harrison Hash and Bloodstone all scoring victories over him by taking advantage of the knee injury, costing him the lead. In the end it came down to Jeremy vs Bloodstone II, live on PPV. Jeremy won, getting revenge, and costing Bloodstone the overall win, which went to Dan Jr.

After waiting a couple of months to let the 3-match-rule wind down, I'm about to start Season 2. Harrison Hash, Tim Westybrook and The Natural were all demoted, replaced by Sean McFly, Steve Flash and Melody Cuthill. Let the battle commence!

One of my favourite storylines (which I think I've mentioned before) was one I was planning for USPW.

Basically, Nicky Champion & Alicia Strong started getting very close. At one point, they're about to kiss when Sam Strong storms in and breaks them up. He drags Alicia away telling her Nicky is no good for him. From here, they have a few more 'encounters' which Sam manages to break-up. Alicia & Nicky keep getting closer and almost always take it that step further, only for Sam to intervene.

Fed up, Nicky & Alicia come to the ring together. Alicia reveals that she has fallen in love with Nicky and demands to know what her Dads problem is. Sam comes out and drops the bombshell. Nicky Champion is not really Nicky Champion....he's Nicky Strong!!!

My current favorite feud/storyline features Sean McFly vs. Tommy Cornell. That alone makes it a blockbuster. Their partners in the feud are Steve DeColt and Wolf Hawkins respectively.

Tommy Cornell is my current league champ, having held the title for close to a year now. McFly is my IC champ and he has held the title roughly the same amount of time.

The matches, segments, etc are all at least rated A. It sorta reminds me of the old Hulk Hogan/Ultimate Warrior showdown years ago in the WWF - except these guys are much better wrestlers.

Another feud that has shocked me with it's success, is Terrible Tim Pea**** vs. Frank the Tank Snyder. I created both of these wrestlers, neither of them are great all around wrestlers. Both are basically brawlers. Pea**** has the slob gimmick while Frank has surfer dude gimmick. These two have been tag team partners for the past 6 years, winning every tag title in my fed. I had them lose a few matches, including their titles. Then, Frank turned on Tim and the feud ensued. The fans love it and the matches have rated A. I was really shocked cuz these guys are by far not near my best workers.

Finally, I have my men's Tag Team tournament. All the tag teams in my fed are entered in it. Teams face off in a best of 3 series each round. The final two teams face off at my December to Remember PPV for the tourney title.

NOTBPW Power League. I took the 8 top guys in the company and over the course of 4 months they all fought each other, twice. At the end of the 4 months, whoever won the most matches become the Power League Champion.

It simplified booking, made every fight important, and with everything being so clean and simple, it made even the simplest angle pop. Jeremy Stone took an early lead but halfway through, he was attacked backstage by Bloodstone with single chair shot to the knee, and from there it was all downhill. John Maverick, Harrison Hash and Bloodstone all scoring victories over him by taking advantage of the knee injury, costing him the lead. In the end it came down to Jeremy vs Bloodstone II, live on PPV. Jeremy won, getting revenge, and costing Bloodstone the overall win, which went to Dan Jr.

After waiting a couple of months to let the 3-match-rule wind down, I'm about to start Season 2. Harrison Hash, Tim Westybrook and The Natural were all demoted, replaced by Sean McFly, Steve Flash and Melody Cuthill. Let the battle commence!

Dude, this sounds like pure gold. I may have to cop this for my next training fed game. Sounds like it could be a very good way to determine a first champion in an overfunded weekly local like I run.

For what I've run in TEW, I would say it was a story arc I ran about a year ago in a training fed. Was testing an arc I'd written up to share but have never really gotten polished to where I'm comfortable doing that.

Anyway, it started when I hired on Willow and the freshly trained Animal Harker. Willow debuted first in a personality role of Air Attack Weasal's ex-girlfriend seeking to reconcile the relationship. Only for AAW to publically announce she was a cheating little skank and he wanted nothing to do with her. This led Willow to seek revenge and seduce the mentally limited Harker. But the whole time she was trying to make Harker crush Weasal, AAW was seeing through the plan and trying to talk sense into him. Willow however did manage to force them together in enough matches so Weasal could prove himself the better man.

So in the second story, Willow sought power in numbers by adding a second recruit. Which didn't work so well because she was becoming disenchanted with Harker and focusing more on the new guy.

Which lead to the third part where Weasal finally got through to Harker that he was being played for a fool. Leading Willow to bring in a outsider (read talent trade) to team with her new man to take out AAW and Harker. A move that was predictably unsuccessful and led to her ultimate shame.

That is an absolutely brilliant idea. Its essentially a KOTR for the main eventers. This must have given you an excellent opportunity to roll some mid and lower midcarders in storylines without irritating the big guns as well...

That is an absolutely brilliant idea. Its essentially a KOTR for the main eventers. This must have given you an excellent opportunity to roll some mid and lower midcarders in storylines without irritating the big guns as well...

I'm only just beginning to explore options. Season 2 suffered by my 2hr TV show deal running out. I had to get a 90 minute one instead, which gave me less room for non-league fighters. The 4 weekly league matches generally took up 60+ minutes and with my 80% match ratio (I like angles) I only really had time for one other storyline. I chose the Women's division. It's going okay. Bit wild and unstructured, but it gets a nice 10 minute foxy-boxing match every week.

Sean McFly and Jeremy Stone went win for win throughout this Season, but in the final match, live on PPV, Jezza locked in the Stone Hold and McFly had no choice but to tap. Your winner of Season 2, The Canadian Wrestling Machine, Jeremy Stone!

Steve Flash, Melody Cuthill and John Maverick were demoted to working dark matches next Season... well... not Melody. She'll get the Chick-Belt back.

Archived