Tuf 10

GatorBait19

I want Kimbo to win, I never even watched his Youtube crap but I know that everyone always hates on him. He's big and he looks powerful, I'm hoping for a few big knockouts by him but if he doesn't win I won't care.

Now I don't know Roy Nelson but I have heard the name before and it said he was a former champion so I don't doubt his ability but has he ever gone 3 or 5 rounds? He does look out of shape but then again looks are deceiving.

Also big Marcus WAS out of shape. Rampage got on his ass a little bit too.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe it's me but sportsmanship always comes first

I dunno about that. In every sport I've ever played, 'sportsmanship' was the consolation prize for the loser ("He's such a good sport"). 'Champion' was usually the term used for the winner(s). I'm not saying you can't be both but one takes precedence over the other IMO.

I'd like to say Roy but I think he's so far above everyone else, he's the one most prone to a letdown (and an upset).

I personally laughed at the good takedown part seeming as if Kimbo is like Matt Hughes who is a great g&p'r

His wrestling isn't terrible, but not really great or anything. But when you think of Kimbo, his wrestling ability is actually fairly shocking.

I want Kimbo to win, I never even watched his Youtube crap but I know that everyone always hates on him. He's big and he looks powerful, I'm hoping for a few big knockouts by him but if he doesn't win I won't care.

I don't hate on him, but I had to laugh at that statement. What upsets me about the people who hate on him is the same thing that upsets me with Brock. Who cares about his past. When he took an official sanctioned MMA bout both trained full-time in MMA with respectable coaches. They take it seriously, and I respect that.

I dunno about that. In every sport I've ever played, 'sportsmanship' was the consolation prize for the loser ("He's such a good sport"). 'Champion' was usually the term used for the winner(s). I'm not saying you can't be both but one takes precedence over the other IMO.

I'd like to say Roy but I think he's so far above everyone else, he's the one most prone to a letdown (and an upset).

I disagree. When I hear someone say they are a good sport in a loss, I think of that person taking the loss well and respectably. I've never come across someone who thought that "sportsmanship" was a consolation prize, and I don't think one takes precedence over the other. What it seems like you are implying is that to be a champion you have to be unsportsmanlike, which I highly disagree with. Just like there is a difference between aggression and violence.

Do we have those unsportsmanlike people? Of course, but that speaks more to the man than one being superior or a "champion". In fact a lot of those type of people don't achieve the highest success, yet achieve only personal success.

But, yeah, I disagree that sportsmanship is seen as a consolation.

Roy Nelson is legit. That being said, he did look in even work shape than usual, and looked like he was gassing out in those clips sparring. He's a great fighter, on the cusp of top ten heavyweight. He's fought great competition and was on his way to winning his fight against Arlovski until he got KO'd after a horrible standup decision by the ref.

I'm pumped to see "Titties" fight, if only to see Rampage's reaction. He's a great prospect and I think one of the brighter spots on the roster.

Also, I don't see Kimbo winning a fight, but he's got some measure of power so anything is possible. I actually thought Abe was put on the cast specifically to be fed to Kimbo; Abe is one of only a couple guys on the show that I really don't think belong. Either way, I love heavyweights, I love that they have some tested veterans and true blue chip prospects on this season, and I love the interplay between the coaches. This is easily going to be the best season of TUF ever, and would have been even if Kimbo wasn't on there. Seeing Kimbo get smoked by someone along the line is gravy.

And even though I don't have much love for Kimbo, I respect him 1000% more than I did before coming on this show. I think it shows a commitment to the sport he has lacked to this point. I was hoping he would end up on Rashad's team, though, if only because of the outside chance of him eventually winding up at Greg Jackson's camp. If Jackson could mold Kimbo into something legit, he's more of a genius than he gets credit for.

I cant believe how unknowledgeable Rampage and his people were about the fighters. You would think if he's doesnt know anything about these guys at least one of his coaching squad would have a clue about who they should pick, but clearly that wasnt the case.

Im shocked Roy Nelson was taken as the ninth overall pick that is insane. Grappling ability to soundly handle Frank Mir, MMA experince against top level fighters, and good stand up. Pretty dumb of both teams but luckily for Rashad Rampage thought he was just some fat guy.

DII national champion dominates guy with next to no wrestling skills..... way to help Rashad out Rampage.

I'll said this on EWB:

I expect Roy to come with a gameplan, but if he brawls... Kimbo has a shot.

But let me also say this; none of the heavyweights have looked in great condition so far this early in the season. So it's possible if Nelson takes this lightly he could gas quickly and leave it open for one of those, "I'm a worse fighter but you are so tired I win" type of fights. :p

I think Shivers got robbed. He gassed badly, but McSweeney only landed leg kicks and spent most of the fight running. Three of the 4 guys that have fought so are nowhere near UFC ready.

i second this wes was landed great counter shots and had a lot of take downs yea he didnt do much on the ground but they was even in submission attempts

i second this wes was landed great counter shots and had a lot of take downs yea he didnt do much on the ground but they was even in submission attempts

I also agree with this even though Wes was gassed so was James and he is a way smaller fighter. McSweeney barely did anything except one submission attempt and kicks and jabs. Shivers royally dominated him.

Kimbo's best chance is standing but when I see Seth Petruzelli ko Kimbo with a jab it doesnt make me confident that Kimbo can stand up to Roy Nelson's punching power. I dont give Kimbo much of a chance but good luck to him.

McSweeny wasnt impressive but his constant leg kicks and jabs left no doubt to me that he won that fight 2 rounds to none. He came close to finishing Shivers at the end of the last round as well. Whenever Shivers took him down he really had no idea what to do with him.

I also agree with this even though Wes was gassed so was James and he is a way smaller fighter. McSweeney barely did anything except one submission attempt and kicks and jabs. Shivers royally dominated him.

That's why he couldn't walk right for two weeks. :rolleyes:

I think you all are really undervaluing leg kicks.

Leg kicks aren't just for wearing someone down. If you are going to discredit someone for doing one thing over and over again I beg of you to never judge a fight. If he scores with the leg kicks and the other guy doesn't do anything (ie, this fight) he wins. Leg kicks can also end fights just view any number of fights where leg kicks have forced a stoppage.

2 times, I'd suggest you watch a third. There is no conceivable way anyone could score the second round for Wes Shivers. 0% chance of that.

The second round there was no action at all. I call it a coin flip. They stood there looking at each other most of the time. Shivers got a takedown in the second and controlled from the top. McSweeney landed a handful of leg kicks, couldn't defend the takedown, and stood around idle as much as Shivers. It was a boring round, I think the takedown and top control are about on par with the leg kicks. Regardless of the second, I don't see how you give the first round to McSweeney. Takedowns, domination on the ground, close submission attempts, etc. And Shivers looked better standing too. He used his range, and was scoring enough on his feet that McSweeney was turning his back away from the shots.

After watching it again, I think I would score the first for Shivers, the second for McSweeney and have them fight a third round. I certainly didn't see any way to give McSweeney the first round.

Honestly this fight was horrible all around really unfortunate that during the

most watched season of TUF ever this was the kind of fight that went down.

With that said however I think you can make a good case for either guy in the first. Shivers got a takedown and got to mount but he did nothing with that position. He landed a some decent shots standing but he was so gassed half way through the round Mcsweeney was able to come back and tag him with quite a few jabs and some nasty leg kicks.

Im not going to fault anyone for scoring the first in either direction it was a close round. No way Mcsweeney doesnt win the 2nd if anyone gives that to Shivers you dont know how to properly score a MMA fight. If anyone scores it a draw I can understand but you should feel thankful you didnt have to sit through another round of that lol.

Archived