Breaking Point - Spoilers

wilts

***************SPOILERS*******************

To my surprise, there is no thread up yet about Breaking Point so thought I would start it.

Just a few very quick points.

1. Good to see Legacy good the win, but there were a few spots that should have happened, such as HBK (r or both members of DX) going for, and maybe even getting a Sharpshooter locked it. I also thought there was a slim chance there could be some sort of interference by the Hart Dynasty. All in all though, it was a decent enough match.

2. I have never been a fan of Orton, but I really loved the interview with Josh. He sold his character so well.

3. Glad to see Cena get the win. Yes, I am a Cena fan-boy and will never tire of him being champ.

4. WTF was up with the SD main event? How is it going to play out? Surely wasn't a genuine screw job, although it was sold well enough.

Overall I thought it was a pretty good show.

On a side note, what is up with WWE wardrobe at the moment. I know it isn't exactly new, but I can't stand Jerchios image, but now they are fitting everyone with that template...Dibiase looks OK, but Rhodes looks like the guy at the local swimming pool who doesn't get much sun and spends far too much time with his head buried in his comics. The Miz now has that look too, but the character hasn't changed a bit, so why? His previous image was great.

How long until we see Khali or Henry in a pair of speedos?

I thought the PPV was much better than i thought it would be. It helps when you have a hot crowd and the Montreal fans really made the night for me. I always feel they have the power to bump up the match quality as the wrestlers feed off the noise.

As for the results, i was pleased with the way things turned out. I wanted a Legacy win and Orton and Punk to retain but i knew that having your 4 biggest babyfaces lose by submission on the same night would never happen in a million years. I loved the way Legacy was made to seem not only credible, but dominant. They got a lot of offence in and won without any interference. As for Orton vs Cena, i was slightly disappointed as i'd hoped for a more balanced match, not Orton chaining Cena up and 'torturing' him for 15-20 minutes, only to have him come back 'against the odds' and win at the end. Undertaker vs Punk was the match I was looking forward to the most, and while it was good, I felt it was too short. Definately going to be looking forward to their Hell in a Cell encounter next month!

I was in attendance and we had a great night I would say. Montreal crowds can be a bit irratating sometimes though. At some points, it felt the "heel fan" portion of the crowd was enourmos and it kinda takes a part of the fun away in my opinion. Also, as much as I liked Bret Hart, the screw job happened 12 years ago and people need to get over it.

Not sure about the choice for the opening bout. It made sense for the PPV crowd, but not for the live crowd. Chris Jericho being Canadien, there were good cheers for him. A good match though, that set the tone.

DX vs Legacy was surprisingly good. There was enough action outside the usual brawling involved in Anywhere matchs to keep it interesting. Nice ending and as you might have guessed it got a good pop from the crowd, even though it was quickly overun by boos since the heels won.

It took some time to get underway, but Orton's promo was very good. His match was entertaining, but suffered from the same thing as every other Cena match. As much as I like Cena, he's a good athlete and one hell of an entertainer, I can't stand how they book him. This Superman syndrom is not fun to watch. As usual a very split crowd on Cena.

The Great Khali is not over in Montreal. The crowd was pretty much dead for this match except for a couple of cheers for Kane. Crowd was not really into the ECW title match, but Christain was monstrously over with the crowd.

I wonder how many people watching these days know who is Pat Patterson. Never hurts to get a cheap pop with a local name I guess.

Punk vs Taker was surprisingly even, it made a very good match until the end. The Hellsgate came out of nowhere and left us wondering what just happened and the restart is so overdone, it lost its effect a while ago. As I said before, fans and WWE producers need to get over the damn screwjob and stop making references to it every damn time they come to Montreal.

I was in attendance and we had a great night I would say. Montreal crowds can be a bit irratating sometimes though. At some points, it felt the "heel fan" portion of the crowd was enourmos and it kinda takes a part of the fun away in my opinion. Also, as much as I liked Bret Hart, the screw job happened 12 years ago and people need to get over it.

...Really? on two counts. Firstly the heel cheering is brilliant, shows that fans root for who they want and heels are usually infinitely more awesome than babyfaces. The split in the crowd adds so much more to the atmosphere in any given match. And then...

they don't... its the fans that haven't gotten over something that happened 12 years ago! but the finish to the punk/taker match was just bad booking to be honest.

I'm not sure about the restart, which was more just an excuse to get Teddy Long on stage, but the finish was a great way to maintain the feud, have Punk look like a twat, continue the probation angle (thus turning Teddy heel) and avoid taker having to tap out. Why should they get over it, fans or WWE? It was one of the most notorious incidents in wrestling history and intrinsic to any event in Montreal.

I'd be surprised if the vast majority of fans are chanting "You Screwed Bret!" because they're legitimately upset. It's just become a chant that you do in certain situations. Like "ECW" or "What!". It's fun fan rebellion, not emo-ish crying.

Although it is amazing how much the belt meant back then though, for a screwjob to still be remembered and referenced today. Nowadays the belts and title changes are just worthless.

Glad I didn't watch this show. Not because of the screwjob, but it just doesn't look all that awesome. Once Morrison/Ziggler was taken off I lost most of my will to stay up until 4am to watch.

...Really? on two counts. Firstly the heel cheering is brilliant, shows that fans root for who they want and heels are usually infinitely more awesome than babyfaces. The split in the crowd adds so much more to the atmosphere in any given match. And then...

I'm not sure about the restart, which was more just an excuse to get Teddy Long on stage, but the finish was a great way to maintain the feud, have Punk look like a twat, continue the probation angle (thus turning Teddy heel) and avoid taker having to tap out. Why should they get over it, fans or WWE? It was one of the most notorious incidents in wrestling history and intrinsic to any event in Montreal.

here's my 2 cents..... the screwjob reference in the taker/punk match was in bad taste to be honest. to me that insulted my intelligence it should have ended when either punk or taker got the win cleanly.... personally I would have had punk win before the match restart. and even then the restart was just horrible booking.. and fans chanting "you screwed bret" really ruins the segments every time they chant that...... just my opinion

So you'd rather Undertaker tapped out, or Punk's reign ended after just a month? It's hardly insulting your intelligence, if anything it's crediting people to know this was in no way real but will have storyline implications nonetheless.

I would have had punk win and the undertaker get revenge the next smackdown or after the match itself.... instead of using an angle that quite frankly DID insult my intelligence.

There's a difference between cheering for the guys you like regardless of their disposition and cheering systematically for the bad guy. People in a section nearby where I was were doing the latter and I do not find it enjoyable at all.

As for the Taker/Punk, as far as I'm concerned, they booked themselves in a corner years ago with Taker. There's a lot of things you can't do because of the supernatural aura of the character while the rest of your cast is filled with more realistic gimmick; that's why I'm okay with him having months off regularly, otherwise, I get bored by the character. A submission match was adding more to an already subpar situation. Personnaly, I was praying for a no-contest of some sort, preferably through inteference against Taker to give him a short program he could get through before going against Punk for real.

I would have had punk win and the undertaker get revenge the next smackdown or after the match itself.... instead of using an angle that quite frankly DID insult my intelligence.

That would absolutely neuter undertakers character and face pop. He's faced the best of the best, and never tapped, but a modified armbar is so deadly he can't take it and taps like a bitch?

Not to mention it goes contrary to every aspect of the "deadman" gimmick for him to submit due to pain.

There was less chance of that happening than cena the superman saying "I quit"

I thought it was a fine finish, given the PPV's limitations. The problem with the PPV was the submission aspect forced on every match. If i have a gripe it's with this new "outside of the four major PPV's, we need gimmick match M/E's" kick that their on.

Some matches it worked for (DX, surprisingly orton vs. cena, well told match) and some it made no sense for/ sucked. (kane and the Indian statue: still not sure why this fued is getting the billing it is. Would rather have seen knox Finlay for Christ sake and of coursepunk-taker)

I though the best matches, ring work wise were:

Christan-regal

DX- legacy

Kofi-Miz

And the best overall, counting the gimmick and build up were

DX-Legacy

Orton-Cena

Kofi-miz

I will say, I've never been a big miz fan, but Give him this, he's become a solid guy in the ring, and great on the mic as a heel. I don't think he'll get much above the upper mid card, at best, but for the most part he gives you solid work.

As for the Taker/Punk, as far as I'm concerned, they booked themselves in a corner years ago with Taker. There's a lot of things you can't do because of the supernatural aura of the character while the rest of your cast is filled with more realistic gimmick; that's why I'm okay with him having months off regularly, otherwise, I get bored by the character. A submission match was adding more to an already subpar situation. Personnaly, I was praying for a no-contest of some sort, preferably through inteference against Taker to give him a short program he could get through before going against Punk for real.

I agree with this, I've seen some rumors that takers hip surgery didn't give him back the mobility he thought it would either, so this may be his last run. IF so, makes sense to get him in a prolonged fued with Punk and have punk go over via dirty tactics, then have him rest till mania and take on some legend he's never fought to "protect" the streak and let him bow out a winner/ give the unnamed wrestler a big pop.

Oh come on, the "you screwed Bret" chant is simply Montreal's thing. Gonna be chanting that until HBK hits the deathbed. It's not that we haven't gotten over it; it's just our thing. Just like Kurt Angle's You Suck. When he became face, nobody stopped shouting "you suck". The crowds continued doing that thing - even his hometown - and cheered for Kurt immediately after. (some crowds would put a spin on it by saying "you rock" but eh)

Fact is, some crowds and some cities have their own "thing". Things that are notorious to them. Why do you think DX got the biggest pop of the night, or that the crowd chanted "HBK" throughout the match? The Bret chant doesn't mean anything beyond that, and the only reason you think it "ruins the segment" is just because you can't stand it. Instead, you should expect it, and maybe just go with the flow. Nobody's getting hurt here, nobody's getting disrespected.

I was in attendance as well, and the show was quite nice, live experience was solid. We had great chants throughout, great time overall, and I indeed joined in the "you screwed Bret" chant, for kicks. I would've put up a crowd sign for that but didn't wanna push too far on it, would've made me look like I was legit anti-HBK :p

The screwjob I felt was good, because it was the only way for Punk to walk out with the belt, furthering his heel heat in the process(and leading to a promising SmackDown! heel GM-ship). If Taker had tapped out instead, people would've cried buckets. Guess you can't please everyone.

Oh, and for the record, about the wardrobe. I don't think it's them which are putting superstars in some sort of "template". I believe most superstars have a voice when it comes to their own ring attire. Miz probably decided to start sporting trunks from now on, likely as a way to reinvent himself or something of the sort.

Archived