The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Kingster" data-cite="Kingster" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>You're probably talking about catchweight, but that's different than openweight. A welterweight and a heavyweight are never going to find a catchweight to agree upon.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Ahh yes, I AM thinking of catchweight. Thank you.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="milamber" data-cite="milamber" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It wasn't a good Raw. It wasn't a bad Raw. It was just <em>a</em> Raw.<p> </p><p> Standout parts were Owens (as always), Cena vs AJ promo segment and Reigns vs Rollins hype videos. I admit Teddy Long made me laugh a few times but it was still pretty awful scripting.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> If the idea was to make Rollins seem heelish in those promo's (which were a good change of pace), mission failure. </p><p> </p><p> One guy talks about how he's dreamed about this since he was 7 years old, complete with home video, and talks about how he's always wanted to be the best, and how he rehabbed and rebuilt himself, all for the championship i never got beat for.</p><p> </p><p> One guy goes: yea we had good chemistry as a trio. I was always the muscle, he was the smart one though. He beat me and it made me mad. Now I'm mad at him. I used my maddness to get me to the top. I'm THE GUY and everyone needs to realize that.</p><p> </p><p> And Guy 1 is the heel?</p><p> </p><p> Don't get me wrong, Guy 2 ain't a bad dude, but not exactly a baby face for the ages.</p>

Roman is not the best baby face in the world.....And Rollins seems to be sneaking in a babyface type story which isn't helping. If WWE would just let Roman tell the fans to shove it we would have alot cleaner story telling. But we all know that Vince has lost his touch when it comes to the fans.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="iruleall15" data-cite="iruleall15" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Ummm.... What the hell!!! What WWE writer decided to have Alpha lose the damn titles already! Ruined the entire Takeover special for me.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'm a huge fan of Dash & Dawson so that was the best part of takeover, and the fact that paul ellering is back as a manager.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="iruleall15" data-cite="iruleall15" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Ummm.... What the hell!!! What WWE writer decided to have Alpha lose the damn titles already! Ruined the entire Takeover special for me.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think at this rate we've come to the conclusion that WWE and NXT are two vastly different products produced under the same umbrella, so technically; this might be the fault of someone who helps write the storylines for NXT.</p><p> </p><p> Or maybe they were just meant to be transitional champions? That, or they're heading up the main roster. (Which I hope would be the case)</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="iruleall15" data-cite="iruleall15" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Ummm.... What the hell!!! What WWE writer decided to have Alpha lose the damn titles already! Ruined the entire Takeover special for me.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I assume they are headed for the main roster tag division with the brand split.</p><p> </p><p> This is not my idea, may have even been floated pages previously, but I think the whole sudden reappearance of Teddy Long and his "lets book tag matches playa!" character might lead to him leading a tag team division that crosses over between shows.</p><p> </p><p> Would make sense, you are going to need some acts that can move between shows, and making tag teams thier own separate thing with there own commissioner would do that nicely. But to do it you'd need a few more teams, and American Alpha are likely one of your best face tag teams, even though they haven't set foot on raw or smackdown yet. </p><p> </p><p> Rest of NXT: The End </p><p> </p><p> Opener - Fine, Almas looks ridiculous in that hat. Full sale loves Tye. This was good, just not much there in 5 minutes.</p><p> </p><p> Tag Match - Amazing work from both teams, my match of the night barley edgeing out Nakamara - aries. So many good double team moves and sequences. I was ok with the loss, though it did seem to soon. Least it led to something, though seems like that beat down would have had more impact if done on babyface champs.</p><p> </p><p> Wonder what's next for the revival? NXT has more good heel teams then face at the moment. Guess it could be a slow build against chiampo and Johnny.</p><p> </p><p> Nakamarua vs Aries - Really excellent stuff. Full sail is all in on nakamarua, was cool to hear them sing the theme song. Aries was good here, thought he might have it via count out after the DD setting up a rematch, the story of him wanting to not settle for the Count out and taking to much of a risk was good too. Expecting we'll get a "official" number one contender with them both involved based on Hunter's comments after. </p><p> </p><p> Women's match - This was fine, but highlights the problem of having a very green giant, there isn't much you can do with the smaller face except have her try and fail to knock her down, until she gets lucky. I wasen't a fan of the finish either. You showed me Jax as an unstoppable monster, but then she screams at Asuka and takes really the first solid shot she's taken all match and she's out cold?</p><p> </p><p> This was fine and got the right result, just like i said not alot they can do with Jax right now to have her not go over but maintain her monster presence. Same problem they had with Corbin to a lesser degree. </p><p> </p><p> Finn v. Joe</p><p> </p><p> My disappointment of the night. not that it was bad, it was just...there until the final 4 or 5 minutes and the sick Muscle buster off the top rope. Also, the "you can just walk out the door!" part of these cage matches hurts them so much. It makes guys who try to climb look so stupid. </p><p> </p><p> Should make cage matches pinfall, submission, or over the top. Asking politely to be let out by a ref ruins the whole "you cannot escape me!" part of the gimmick.</p><p> </p><p> Overall, good show, but not one of the all time take overs.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="crownsy" data-cite="crownsy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I assume they are headed for the main roster tag division with the brand split.<p> </p><p> This is not my idea, may have even been floated pages previously, but I think the whole sudden reappearance of Teddy Long and his "lets book tag matches playa!" character might lead to him leading a tag team division that crosses over between shows.</p><p> </p><p> Would make sense, you are going to need some acts that can move between shows, and making tag teams thier own separate thing with there own commissioner would do that nicely. But to do it you'd need a few more teams, and American Alpha are likely one of your best face tag teams, even though they haven't set foot on raw or smackdown yet.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The tag division either needs to cross over both shows or they could copy Lucha Underground and introduce a Trios Tag Title for stables.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="crownsy" data-cite="crownsy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Should make cage matches pinfall, submission, or over the top. Asking politely to be let out by a ref ruins the whole "you cannot escape me!" part of the gimmick.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Then it's basically just a Cell match. What they need is a chain or locking mechanism on the <em>inside</em> of the door so the wrestlers have to spend time opening it themselves.</p>

<p><strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">NXT Takeover:</span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Perfect 10 vs Andrade 100</strong> - Solid match with a weak finish. I love the double moonsault.</p><p>

<strong>The Revival vs American Alpha</strong> - Contender for Best Tag MOTY. 2 of the best tag teams in the world on the top of their game in front of a hot crowd. I predicted Revival to win because AA need to be on the main roster for the brand split. They can put over the new team on their way out. Smart move giving the Authors of Pain a veteran manager.</p><p>

<strong>Aries vs Nakamura</strong> - Great match. Aries finally impressed. Now he just needs to complete his heel turn. I'd book Joe vs Nakamura vs Aries next.</p><p>

<strong>Nia vs Asuka</strong> - Good match. Better than I expected. Nia continues to improve but I think she would be more believeable as a babyface. With a lack of contenders it might take a multi-woman match for Asuka to drop the title.</p><p>

<strong>Balor vs Joe</strong> - Good match. A few creative spots lifted it to an above average cage match.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Verdict:</span></strong> Above average show even by NXT's high standards.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="milamber" data-cite="milamber" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The tag division either needs to cross over both shows or they could copy Lucha Underground and introduce a Trios Tag Title for stables.<p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> Then it's basically just a Cell match. What they need is a chain or locking mechanism on the <em>inside</em> of the door so the wrestlers have to spend time opening it themselves.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Or just lock it from outside once they enter and don't open it until someone gets a pin or submission. It wouldn't be a cell match, the Cell has a roof to prevent escape.</p>

<p>I love Tye Dillinger. And American Alpha. And Nakamura. And Aries. And Asuka.</p><p> </p><p>

The main event of NXT is its weakest facet. And I don't mean that as an insult really, I'm just bored of Balor and Joe. There's much more interesting stuff going on elsewhere. I fell asleep a bit in the middle of the main event but woke up for the ending. The Muscle Buster was awesome.</p><p> </p><p>

I agree with what you guys were saying, it seems like American Alpha is headed for the main roster after this feud with the Authors of Pain.</p><p> </p><p>

Curious to see how Bobby Roode fits into all this as well.</p>

<p>What's with the combined team songs lately? It's been done before, but these really sound horrible along with the basic lyrics. This way the tag team won't even run longer than the ridiculously long hype for it.</p><p> </p><p>

Decent promo by Corbin on SD! but he missed an small opportunity with "it'll be the end of Dolph Ziggler ['s days]".</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="iruleall15" data-cite="iruleall15" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>So Vince McMahon is the reason Alpha lost... This old man needs to die... now</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> American Alpha could be called up. They can be a really good midcard tag that could really anchor the Smackdown tag scene.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Rickymex" data-cite="Rickymex" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>American Alpha could be called up. They can be a really good midcard tag that could really anchor the Smackdown tag scene.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Midcard? They carried the tag division since they got pushed in NXT. They are the best team in the world. They can carry the company with their ability.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="iruleall15" data-cite="iruleall15" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Midcard? They carried the tag division since they got pushed in NXT. They are the best team in the world. They can carry the company with their ability.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Not even remotely the best team in the world. They're great, but Jordan is still green and looks lost occasionally in the ring.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="iruleall15" data-cite="iruleall15" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Midcard? They carried the tag division since they got pushed in NXT. They are the best team in the world. They can carry the company with their ability.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> You're overrating them right now. They are very good but saying they can carry the company is ridiculous. They can and will improve being the premier midcard tag team on Smackdown.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="iruleall15" data-cite="iruleall15" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Midcard? They carried the tag division since they got pushed in NXT. They are the best team in the world. They can carry the company with their ability.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The best team in the world?</p><p> </p><p> Are you serious?</p><p> </p><p> Now don't get me wrong, I've heard great things about them. But if you're going to compare them to other great teams in the world today such as The Young Bucks, The Addiction, American Wolves and The New Day? You're going to need to give them at least one or two years before we can put them in the rankings of best tag team in the world today.</p>

<p>So who likes my idea of creating a Trios Titles? Once American Alpha & The Revival get called up they should have enough teams. And they could always create some interesting short term Trios pairings like Lucha Dragons & Neville or have guys like The Miz and Balor create their own stables.</p><p> </p><p>

Tag Teams:</p><p> </p><p>

American Alpha</p><p>

Enzo & Cass</p><p>

The Usos</p><p>

Lucha Dragons</p><p>

Golden Truth</p><p>

The Revival</p><p>

Dudley Boyz</p><p>

Vaudevillians</p><p>

Breezango</p><p>

Primo & Epico</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Trios Teams:</p><p> </p><p>

New Day</p><p>

Social Outcasts</p><p>

The Club</p><p>

Wyatt Family</p><p>

The Colons (if they bring back Carlito)</p>

<p>The start of the Balor/Joe match basically summed up in a few minutes exactly why I have been so down on the whole feud. It's a blood feud that needs a steel cage to contain them... these guys are chomping at the bit to fight each other but the match starts and they both try to escape the cage? I don't understand. It's like how the story in the previous matches was Balor surviving the monster that was Joe but considering he was standing, walking and posing as he celebrated, that story just didn't cut it for me neither. He should have won and then been stretchered out, that's how you sell "surviving" a big fight isn't it?</p><p> </p><p>

This is the same inconsistent storytelling that dogs the main roster. The match on Wednesday was just a series of well-choreographed spots and I have no problem with that, if not for it being the yin to the yang of the story they've been building ever since the Dusty tag special. Which was a joke in itself because they put Joe and Balor on a pedestal above their entire tag division, just to have Joe turn on him. The Dusty Special accomplished nothing to me because you could have done that story without the tournament and you could have done it without making your whole tag division look secondary to four singles guys that clubbed together just for the tournament. Although, to be fair, Corbin & Rhyno vs. American Alpha was absolutely brilliant. </p><p> </p><p>

Then they did the title change, just a day or two after Balor broke the record reign. They obviously wanted to do the title change but they felt they couldn't do it until Balor had broken the record. Because he's liked by management, basically.</p><p> </p><p>

But that's only the tip of the iceberg. They then did the title change. On a house show. I didn't agree with this because even if you want to sell it as though <strong><em>things happen on house shows,</em></strong> changing the world champion on a show that 99.9% of your audience won't see is a total slap in the face. You have two minor titles, change one of those if this is the narrative you want to sell. But then, it was revealed that the match was fully recorded for later video packages which makes it even more scumbag that they only showed 30 seconds of it. Just imagine for 30 seconds (the amount of that match you've seen) if TNA pulled that. No NXT, you do not get a free pass for this.</p><p> </p><p>

And the worst part is that I liked most of the TakeOver special. I loved Tye Dillinger getting a great pop, I liked seeing Austin Aries get the spotlight against Nak, the tag title match was awesome and Nia Jax proved again that she's a legitimately good worker. But then I rant like that because of one small section of the show that reminded me of all that is wrong with NXT. A feud that has stunk the brand out for me. An uninteresting champion in Balor, who was working so hard on house shows that he barely did anything on NXT TV tapings. And that in turn lead to weeks of dry television, with skippable matches and a load of average, pre-recorded segments and promos that lacked in energy and urgency and all around quality. There's so much main roster nonsense going on down in NXT now, you can't tell me you watched Balor vs. Joe on Wednesday and thought it was any different from any main roster cage match of the last 10 years.</p><p> </p><p>

Here's to hoping that NXT TakeOver: The End is the end of this nadir and maybe NXT can go back to being a quality alternative again.</p>