The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't watched professional wrestling properly for a while now but I heard (and saw pictures of) Cody working injured so I figured I'd watch the match this morning to see how it went. Cody is rightfully getting a lot of plaudits for the way he worked despite that gruesome injury but for me, the real MVP of that match was Seth Rollins. I've been a fan of his work since he was Tyler Black working in IWA: Mid-South but I honestly didn't think he had it in him to work a match like that. The way he protected Cody whilst simultaneously using the injury to tell a story and be absolute scum was sensational. I hope it was a one time thing and Cody actually takes the time off to recover but for a spectacle with an obvious narrative given to them by the injury, it was one hell of a match. I do think they should have called an audible though and had Rollins win, because it just completely undermines him if he can't win when Cody only has one arm. Considering all the limitations though? Utterly brilliant by two guys who often divide opinion.

Didn't see the match yet, very intrigued though.

Saw somewhere that Cody will talk the injury on Raw... hope Rollins will pull off smth nasty to write off Cody for 6 months and get 'the last laugh' in this feud. 3 PPV losses, and the guy barely ever wins.

If Rhodes will be back for Royal Rumble, he could dump Seth and go to win the whole thing. They might even start the whole match, Rollins #1, Cody surprise #2. I'm prolly looking to far into the future..

Edit: Very good match, smartly done. Liked the moment where Cody had to kick out with the right arm, simple but effective moment. No Ripcord Knee, maybe that would be too much on the pec? Anywho, a nice watch

Maybe it's just me but I can't help but feel uncomfortable when athletes with clearly visible, serious injuries are working through them and risk further injury for something as trivial as a sports entertainment match.

P.S. A lot of people thought it was a work because of how pink it still was. No, that's him actively bleeding, probably from warming up/ taking the cortisone injection. Commissions need to step in.

I forget specifically where I saw it, but it was sometime during Cody's time in AEW where he was talking about the good career advice he was given as a youngster. Things like "you're going to wrestle hurt, but you should never wrestle injured" was one thing that stood out to me at the time.

The irony.

Mad respect to him for being able to have that match, that took toughness and guts to do. But at the same time, I hate the precedent set by doing that and he absolutely shouldn't have had that match.

I forget specifically where I saw it, but it was sometime during Cody's time in AEW where he was talking about the good career advice he was given as a youngster. Things like "you're going to wrestle hurt, but you should never wrestle injured" was one thing that stood out to me at the time.

The irony.

Mad respect to him for being able to have that match, that took toughness and guts to do. But at the same time, I hate the precedent set by doing that and he absolutely shouldn't have had that match.

I understand entirely why he did it. He really didn't have a choice here. He's an expensive act, Vince is a fickle guy. The surest way to get out of favor and get put back in the trashbag is to pull out of a ME match, 3 days before the show, on an event that is already missing Roman, and is having to rebook smaller venues. If he pulls out of that match, even with that pec. Vince is gonna say to himself "See, I was right about that kid all along." and that's the end of this run.

So I don't blame Cody, I would have shot myself full of pain meds and I would have tried to get through the match too in his spot. He's out of chances. He can't go back to AEW with his tail between his legs. He has to make this work, he's 36 now. He won't get another chance to make himself a star on the level he sees himself. There really was no choice.

It's up to the people behind the curtain, guys like Triple H, guys like Seth, guys like the medical staff to protect him. And if that fails it should be the athletic commissions job to step in. Everyone failed here.

Cody shouldn't be under such pressure to perform that he feels he needs to do this. But he was, and he was right to be.

Vince shouldn't have his roster in such a state that he is booking Becky Lynch to be pinned by the 24/7 champion. But he does, and his nipples are rock hard right now.

The boys shouldn't live in a world where they aren't even employees, but they do, and they will continue too.

And Athletic Regulators shouldn't view this as anything different from an MMA event, or a boxing show in terms of health and welness... but they clearly do.

And the fans lapped it up. Was Seth vs. Cody the first WWE Meltzer 5-star match? Embarrassing.

Five Star matches in WWE

CM Punk vs John Cena MITB 2011

Andrade vs Gargano Takeover Philly 2018

Adam Cole vs EC3 vs Killian Dane vs Lars Sullivan vs Ricochet vs Velveteen Dream Takeover Philly

Mustache Mountain vs KOR/Roddy Strong NXT

Adam Cole vs Gargano Takeover New York

Gargano vs Cole Takeover XXV

Walter vs Tyler Bate Takeover Cardiff

Walter vs Dragunov NXT UK

Dragunov vs Walter Takeover 36

If you include when they were WWF:

Razor vs HBK Wrestlemania X

Bret vs Owen SummerSlam 94

Bret vs Austin Wrestlemania 13

HBK vs Taker Badd Blood 97

Who ever came up with this alternate history modification that we're currently living through is a genius as it's entertaining as hell right now, and I'm only in a watcher game. :p I'm going to have to tune into a weekly episodic episode of WWE for the first time in years to see what Vince says tonight. I think we all know the accusations are true as they're not the first he's faced in his career, but it's good to see he can't just bury them anymore and things have changed these days. It's going to be very interesting if he steps down permanently.

Who ever came up with this alternate history modification that we're currently living through is a genius as it's entertaining as hell right now, and I'm only in a watcher game. :p I'm going to have to tune into a weekly episodic episode of WWE for the first time in years to see what Vince says tonight. I think we all know the accusations are true as they're not the first he's faced in his career, but it's good to see he can't just bury them anymore and things have changed these days. It's going to be very interesting if he steps down permanently.

according to sources, Steph is basically just going to be his figurehead on the board, and he's still in charge of creative.

I expect nothing to change but "optics"

according to sources, Steph is basically just going to be his figurehead on the board, and he's still in charge of creative.

I expect nothing to change but "optics"

Yep. It's a scam, same way he got around it with Linda forever ago. Make no mistake every decision is still his, he is still running that company, and the investigation is internal, so expect it to be a giant coverup operation that fully exonerates him.

It's up to the Sean Ross Sapp's and the Dave Meltzer's, as well as investors to get this in front of real media outlets who will run this stuff down.

I am not optimistic.

• 2 weeks later...
A thought occurred to me today. Over the past 2 years, the WWE has released many, many wrestlers and off staff members due to "budget cuts" (despite the company raking in record profits thanks to their TV deals and money from Saudi Arabia). And now, we find out that Vince spent millions in company funds to serve as hush money to cover up an affair. If I were someone who was one of the people released because of these "budget concerns", I'd be very upset right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
It sure felt like Vince was still in charge, especially during the "ImPaulsiveTV" segment.

Rome wasn't built in a day. They've got a booked PPV already. I wasn't expecting HHH to do his football spike promo or anything. The big thing to take away here was No Steph, No HHH, No Taker, No Bruce, No Rock, No Cena, No Titus out to job clean to Vince. Not a word about him all night. No chants, and the stock projections went up.

Extrodandarily good news if you want to see a clean break.

"Can these tag team partners get along in this match?!?" Triple H bringing a bold new vision to WWE's creative programming, let me tell you....

Ehh Liv not wanting to tag Ronda in to prove herself was a nice change to the usual bickering opponents as partners gimmick.

That said, I don't believe we'll see real change until after Summer Slam though.