The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

I must admit I hate the idea of the Bragging rights PPV I know its most likely only used as a promotional tool for the new WWE game but seriously wouldnt the Raw Vs Smackdown match be better use as the mainevent for the Survivor Series PPV? considering the whole event is ment to be built around these type of matches?

If that's legit then **** Matt. Because nobody should do **** like that just to get fire. Man, Rey should be pissed as all hell.

I've seeing tons of pictures of Rey Mysterio unmasked over the years. Hell, WCW unmasked him and put him on TV every week. It's not like it's some secret that he looks like a 12 year old. A lot of kids may like him as a masked superhero, but how many of those kids are going to be watching Matt Hardy's weekly Youtube rant? Any that did have probably googled "Rey Mysterio Unmasked" long before now.

Don't get me wrong, it's not cool that Matt did that, but nothing to get worked up over.

I must admit I hate the idea of the Bragging rights PPV I know its most likely only used as a promotional tool for the new WWE game but seriously wouldnt the Raw Vs Smackdown match be better use as the mainevent for the Survivor Series PPV? considering the whole event is ment to be built around these type of matches?

I wish Bragging Rights was done like ;

RAW's champion vs SD!'s champion

IC champion vs US champion

etc.

Not this stupid 7 vs 7, what does that prove to be honest.

I wish Bragging Rights was done like ;

RAW's champion vs SD!'s champion

IC champion vs US champion

etc.

Not this stupid 7 vs 7, what does that prove to be honest.

I think Wrestlemania should always be the Champions vs Champions. That would make Wrestlemania truly the grand daddy of them all. We never see Champion vs Champion and I think we need to every year at the greatest show.

Agreed... why would anyone care who wins out of Raw or Smackdown? It's not like one brand represents a face and one a heel, it's just a stupid idea! I think they need to slowly start phasing out the brand split, Smackdown seems devoid if any big stars at the moment. Would be nice for it to head back towards how it used to be, with guys appearing on both shows.

Agreed, I don't think there's any comparison really... WWE is far too big to be at war with TNA... and I can't see that changing anytime soon (if ever). I really cant see any company ever being in a position to seriously challenge the WWE, which is unfortunate because competition would surely lead to much more interesting shows!

Although I agree that TNA is too small to even consider a war with the WWE (they will get crushed NOW, as it is. However, it CAN happen. Will it happen? Doubtful. Will it happen anytime soon? Probably not. But it can.

How can it happen? TNA has the talent. Has a tv slot on a station that is doing big things with the UFC. Would an old school Tough Enough type of s how help TNA like the Ultimate Fighter helped the UFC? You would probably have to take some people without any pro wrestling experience as the contestants. Then use guys like Kurt Angle, AJ Styles, and Al Snow to train the guys on the show.

I liked Tough Enough and see the flaws in how that show was done. I am sure a lot of wrestling fans would watch the show too. Even if they weren't TNA fans.

Sure, a show like Tough enough could make a small difference (assuming they had the money, a TV slot, etc, etc to do)... but would it make them a serious threat to the WWE? No... not even close. The WWE is so far ahead in terms of everything (money, exposure, etc) that no-one has a realistic chance of catching them anytime soon, if ever!

How can it happen? TNA has the talent. Has a tv slot on a station that is doing big things with the UFC. Would an old school Tough Enough type of s how help TNA like the Ultimate Fighter helped the UFC? You would probably have to take some people without any pro wrestling experience as the contestants. Then use guys like Kurt Angle, AJ Styles, and Al Snow to train the guys on the show.

I liked Tough Enough and see the flaws in how that show was done. I am sure a lot of wrestling fans would watch the show too. Even if they weren't TNA fans.

What the heck are you talking about? I'm saying it CAN, but it just might not be TNA. I never said IT WILL. Did you even read what I said?

It's entirely possible for a promotion the future to reach the WWE's level. It might or might not be TNA. (I'm leaning might not be). Will it happen? No. Can it? Certainly.

What the heck are you talking about? I'm saying it CAN, but it just might not be TNA. I never said IT WILL. Did you even read what I said?

It's entirely possible for a promotion the future to reach the WWE's level. It might or might not be TNA. (I'm leaning might not be). Will it happen? No. Can it? Certainly.

My question was just how CAN it happen? I mean if we are talking about between now and the end of the Earth yeah I guess it CAN happen. I thought you meant that TNA can achieve that level of success.

I went on a rant after that about something that I think would help their exposure. I don't think TNA will ever be on the level of WWE though.

Is WWE still planning on unifying the World Titles?

This may seem off topic but would you guys consider WWE and TNA at war?

WWE could still have 2 different house show rosters.

No. TNA is probably watched by half of the people in WWE, if not everyone. I'm sure it's nice to see how other's do things, and they have friends over there that they probably are rooting for/talk to etc.

Yes. WWE does acknowledge them as a "The Other" promotion, and obviously don't encourage any talk about "the other" promotion.

No. WWE does not consider TNA a threat in any way, and proved how easily they can hurt them with only a few shows going head to head with them.

Yes. As we all know, people leave WWE and go straight to TNA. They don't work for "Both".

Really, it just depends on how you look at it. Are they in a WAR as in the way a war is described in TEW? Definately not... in fact in TEW terms, they probably have "good" relations... Just too many actual friends in real life, with upper management on both sides for them to have "Bad" relationships. IF TNA ever become an actual threat, and actually went head to head and beat WWE in the ratings at least one time (I mean RAW), they would probably go to war.... However, I doubt WWE would acknowledge them untill they had to (just as with WCW).

The fact that WWE doesn't ever really poach people away from TNA, or try to take away their main stars, shows that they aren't in actual war. However, TNA will and does do this with WWE talent, so TNA probably thinks of themselves as at War... Hope that helps, lol.

War? WWE will destroy them with a span of months if WWE put their game on. Hell, WWE is doing well these couple of past months, and that in-itself has hurt TNA. And they aren't even in War Mode.

WWE doesn't do it because they need to avoid being labeled as a monopoly (which they are close to being), and they know, at the very least, they can't be literally the only promotion in the USA, as it would hurt the business (and already has).

How does TNA do it? Who knows? They are too interally messed right now to do anything.

Just a general wrestling question, I guess it could fit in a few other threads but here we are. Does anyone know of an anthology book or maybe even internet archive of wrestling articles from anytime over the last 20/30 years?

I'd like to hear what journalists of the time thought of the contemporary state of wrestling and who they tipped to fall and who was gonna be a big star, etc etc.

[Obviously written from a smark perspective.]

Your best bet may be Online World of Wrestling, I'd guess.

I've seeing tons of pictures of Rey Mysterio unmasked over the years. Hell, WCW unmasked him and put him on TV every week. It's not like it's some secret that he looks like a 12 year old. A lot of kids may like him as a masked superhero, but how many of those kids are going to be watching Matt Hardy's weekly Youtube rant? Any that did have probably googled "Rey Mysterio Unmasked" long before now.

Don't get me wrong, it's not cool that Matt did that, but nothing to get worked up over.

Nothing for us to get worked up over, for sure. The kids, a lot of them who are fans of Matt and Rey might check them and I guess that's what they would want to avoid. Even though he's been unmasked before and that the evidence is "out there", they just wouldn't want to make more of it.. same as if he filmed Taker going to McDonalds or something. We've seen him at his ABA self, but you know.. keeping the stigma alive.

It's not anything big, I just think lesser of Matt for having to go to those lengths to get sacked.

Agreed... why would anyone care who wins out of Raw or Smackdown? It's not like one brand represents a face and one a heel, it's just a stupid idea! I think they need to slowly start phasing out the brand split, Smackdown seems devoid if any big stars at the moment. Would be nice for it to head back towards how it used to be, with guys appearing on both shows.

May look weird to you, but to a lot of the casual fans it might be an interesting concept. Lotta fans are probably devoted to one brand or the other(because of their channel avaliability or by preference) and they'd like to see an eventual match-up to see who comes out on top. What I do think is they don't need to pull this every year, especially if it's not gonna be at Survivor Series. When the first Raw vs. SmackDown! feud happened, it had a lot of buzz, you'd think they'd wanna keep that stigma alive by making it happen every two/three years. But they milked that cow now and there's probably no turning back, unless they do things really carefully. /shrug

Pretty sure they do this now, to coincide with the game release (Smackdown vs. Raw) as was already said earlier. Figured there was no more explanation needed, but an interesting conversation has come from it.

Smackdown vs. Raw is NOT as big as it once was, and I blame WWE for it by having Vince show up on too many shows, or should I say, showing up at each show as the man in charge. Kind of takes away from the illusion that they are in competition instead of working together.

This of course could be brought back with his absence, and the absence of "cross" referencing worker's all the time. However, the crossing is needed for house shows at the very least, or as was explained a good while back by Vince himself, he ends up with angry customer's that wanted to see both John Cena and Undertaker. So they have to do this to some extent, ESPECIALLY at PPV's.

There are ways they could keep the illusion of "war" between the two brands, by at least having it look like an "invasion" each time someone from the other promotion comes through. Everyone should be like "What is he doing here? He's not part of this show!" This happens, but not to the extent that it could...... I know that's hard when the Tag Teams are unified and it looks like other title's might see the same thing happen.

Which bring another interesting conversation up, at least to me. I hated the idea of unifying the World Title's, and I didn't like the dropping of the Cruiserweight, the unified Diva's, or the unified Tag titles... at first.

However, now I'm thinking that they could do something with it, and surprisingly I find myself not missing the cruiserweight title at all... It's almost like they got rid of that to let TNA shine in that element, but then TNA changed/followed suit by bassically making the X-Division a very low card division... perhaps even lower then the Knockouts... I think they should be equal, and enhanced, but that's me.

Anywho, I think the idea of unifying the belts kind of achieves something like the old NWA had, but within' a promotion. As long as they don't unify the US and Intercontinental belts, they could work these as the main belts of the two shows, with the World Championship being more for the PPV's then the TV shows..> Sure, talk about it and give it the time it deserves, but keep the PPV as the World Title match's, and give everyone a bigger reason to buy the PPV. Can you imagine how big the US and Intercontinental Title's could be enhanced IF they do it this way? Same could have been done with the Tag Teams, by introducing a World belt, instead of getting rid of the US and Intercontinental ones, but ... we all know they don't like Tag Teams like they used to in the WWE.

This could have been applied for the womens' as well. IN fact, I think I'm going to do this in a game I was thinking of playing. I am playing like 10 different TEW games for some reason, and moving so slowly between them it's not funny... I think I just convinced myself to start up one more with the real world this time, lol.

On a seperate subject, I am listening to a Trish Stratus podcast, talking about everything... to include wrestling. http://www.diva-dirt.com/2010/09/24/exclusive-trish-stratus-speaks-on-autograph-signing-tour-retirement-of-womens-championship-more/

Anyways, she said something that I keep hearing from several people in WWE. I've heard it by Batista, Cena, Miz, and several other's I can't think of right now. Outside of the storyline part anyways (she said she has had about 100% in every storyline she was involved in.. meaning she could evolve it into her own thing). What stood out was talking about given time to do promo's every week, and Vince having the faith in her to go out there and say whatever she wanted bassically... Of course to stay in character and keeping in mind current storylines. But no script. This has been said by people I mentioned and other's.

I've been under the opinion that most everyone goes out there with a script in their head and tries to remember what they are supposed to say. Listening to these people, everyone has an idea, and is told you have two minutes here or an interview there, and you need to "do your thing". Meaning, it really is up to them to shine in these area's, and a script might only be for those that they have no faith in.

Pretty sure they do this now, to coincide with the game release (Smackdown vs. Raw) as was already said earlier. Figured there was no more explanation needed, but an interesting conversation has come from it.

Smackdown vs. Raw is NOT as big as it once was, and I blame WWE for it by having Vince show up on too many shows, or should I say, showing up at each show as the man in charge. Kind of takes away from the illusion that they are in competition instead of working together.

This of course could be brought back with his absence, and the absence of "cross" referencing worker's all the time. However, the crossing is needed for house shows at the very least, or as was explained a good while back by Vince himself, he ends up with angry customer's that wanted to see both John Cena and Undertaker. So they have to do this to some extent, ESPECIALLY at PPV's.

There are ways they could keep the illusion of "war" between the two brands, by at least having it look like an "invasion" each time someone from the other promotion comes through. Everyone should be like "What is he doing here? He's not part of this show!" This happens, but not to the extent that it could...... I know that's hard when the Tag Teams are unified and it looks like other title's might see the same thing happen.

The thing is we see multiple "Cross" brand matches every year and Half the rosters on both Raw and Smackdown have been on the "rivals" roster at one point or another so I find it hard to believe that a superstar can be loyal to a brand when he was apart of the other brand only a few months before hand