The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

I actually liked it, it was probably more on the attitude era side than I would have liked though.

He just feels like the leader of a cult so, I thought that segment was gonna take Punk to be emo or something

It was fine for the character and such but not for a product that is marketed towards kids. John Cena is marketed towards kids and that feud will be watched by them also. I just feel like for the current product WWE runs it was bad judgement.

Are we really gonna sit there and babysit the contents of the show as to what demographic it fits or not? I guess it's a bizarre but expected contrast from our previous stance on PG mode.

It's pretty clear WWE has never been fully PG and never will be. In fact it seems they've gradually moved on from the days with Hornswoggle throwing candy and glowsticks into the crowd. Once in a while they're gonna do something questionable; every three shows or so, you have smarks exclaiming "omg this is not PG!!?!?!" about things that range from a minor occurrence, to something major or subtle, to something fairly blatant like this. If some serious ish brews from this, such as sponsor loss or fan outcry(which I doubt tbh), then yeah it'll be bad judgment. In the meantime.. who cares?

It was fine for the character and such but not for a product that is marketed towards kids. John Cena is marketed towards kids and that feud will be watched by them also. I just feel like for the current product WWE runs it was bad judgement.

Umm... The WWE is not catering to "kids" or "Just Kids" anyways. They are trying to be a family friendly show is all that was really said about that, meaning you can watch it with your six year old (or should be able to).

Also, the fact that Punk kept talking about the safety harnesses and spotter's, etc, kind of took all the flavor from actually doing something like that anyways. EVEN to a six year old.

How many six year old's do you think were hoping he would jump, anyways?

Umm... The WWE is not catering to "kids" or "Just Kids" anyways. They are trying to be a family friendly show is all that was really said about that, meaning you can watch it with your six year old (or should be able to).

Also, the fact that Punk kept talking about the safety harnesses and spotter's, etc, kind of took all the flavor from actually doing something like that anyways. EVEN to a six year old.

How many six year old's do you think were hoping he would jump, anyways?

I think the whole thing was in poor taste anyway. I mean, was I the only one who was thinking Owen Hart when they watched the segment.

I dug the Punk on the tron thing, because it came off somewhat Castro-ish. The new leader above his subjects, ridiculing their stupidity. Maybe I misinterpreted, but that's how it came off to me. More symbolic than anything.

What freaked me out was Orton hissing. I get it, he's the viper, and he "coils" and "strikes" and whatnot, but he's legitimately hissing now ... that's weird. lol

I think the whole thing was in poor taste anyway. I mean, was I the only one who was thinking Owen Hart when they watched the segment.

I was thinking of Jeff Hardy and Shane McMahon. It almost felt like it was a little poke at Jeff at times.

To be honest, it didn't even cross my mind. I was thinking more like Sting/Raven to be honest.

Now it makes me think of that terrible Vampiro Sting feud.

I thought the Titantron thing was okay though I was expecting something to do with alcohol as the ultimate sacrifice.

I thought about the Owen Hart thing for just a moment. I also thought about the angle the Legion of Doom ran where Hawk was 'pushed' off the Titantron by Droz. I honestly didn't have any issues with it perse. It was definitely a way for CM Punk to gain some heel heat by calling the people stupid and morons for thinking he would do something like that.

I was thinking of Jeff Hardy and Shane McMahon. It almost felt like it was a little poke at Jeff at times.

Now it makes me think of that terrible Vampiro Sting feud.

I thought the Titantron thing was okay though I was expecting something to do with alcohol as the ultimate sacrifice.

Exactly. It was more Jeff Hardy due to their awesome feud in 2009 and how Hardy dirt sheet comments about CM Punk. Plus Owen Hart didn't jump off the Titan tron.

Exactly. It was more Jeff Hardy due to their awesome feud in 2009 and how Hardy dirt sheet comments about CM Punk. Plus Owen Hart didn't jump off the Titan tron.

Well yeah, I was just making the connection because of the height thing and him wearing a saftey harness. It might not make sense to anyone but me but that happens a lot.:D

Well yeah, I was just making the connection because of the height thing and him wearing a saftey harness. It might not make sense to anyone but me but that happens a lot.:D

/nod, I mean after you brought it up I can see your way of connecting to it, but like I said before, many things crossed my mind (to include the Jeff Hardy thing as well), but never even crossed my mind about Owen.

I tend to look at the glass as half full (or try to) though, so maybe that's why, I don't know. But I was thinking Sting/Raven at first... I didn't know where he was, but I knew he was up high somewhere. So I thought of Sting up in the rafter's, then thought about his style being more Raven-istic, but honestly after he started talking about someone having to be mental I was thinking "I bet Jeff Hardy would do it".

Anyways, I wonder if this same thing was run on TNA if you would have thought about Owen?

I had a similar Owen Hart vibe. I think it was more because I was wary of there being an accident (ala Owen) rather than him being stupid enough to genuinely jump (ala Jeff or Shane). It was a good idea symbolically though.

The whole night was quite biblical. Perfect Jr being carried off as if on a cross, Husky being lashed with the belt, David (Otunga) vs Goliath (except he didn't win...), Punk preaching from above (either from the heavens or Sermon On The Mount)... yeah, Punk is rocking a religious cult vibe right now. He had stigmata on his hands the week he took over Nexus too.

I was thinking Road Warrior Hawk myself, that thing he did on top of the Tron way back when. Can't remember specifics, but I'm thinking there was an angle where he either jumped or fell off the titan tron way back in the Attitude Era.

Edit: nvm - just saw where AngelDayette already mentioned that. That was the incident I was thinking of anyway.

:)

I had a similar Owen Hart vibe. I think it was more because I was wary of there being an accident (ala Owen) rather than him being stupid enough to genuinely jump (ala Jeff or Shane). It was a good idea symbolically though.

The whole night was quite biblical. Perfect Jr being carried off as if on a cross, Husky being lashed with the belt, David (Otunga) vs Goliath (except he didn't win...), Punk preaching from above (either from the heavens or Sermon On The Mount)... yeah, Punk is rocking a religious cult vibe right now. He had stigmata on his hands the week he took over Nexus too.

Ya know, I hadn't even considered that. Can even see a tie with Slater and Gabriel that weaves into that thought. I will say, the shots Husky took made me cringe. Like when you get a chill down your spine, and you do that little shoulder shutter.

The one other thing I wanted to touch on, I don't know if Cena ad-libbed it, getting some semblance of freedom for being the guy, or if it was scripted for him, but I have to admit, I enjoyed the Carlinism. Little sad he fumbled it, but thought it a nice touch.

Ya know, I hadn't even considered that. Can even see a tie with Slater and Gabriel that weaves into that thought. I will say, the shots Husky took made me cringe. Like when you get a chill down your spine, and you do that little shoulder shutter.

The one other thing I wanted to touch on, I don't know if Cena ad-libbed it, getting some semblance of freedom for being the guy, or if it was scripted for him, but I have to admit, I enjoyed the Carlinism. Little sad he fumbled it, but thought it a nice touch.

I noticed that too and he was the anti religious guy and CM now has the religious connotations, weird

I wouldn't have done it because it was stupid to begin with. Not one person was watching thinking that Punk was going to jump, so why tease it? Wouldn't it have been better to tease something that people could realistically buy into as a possibility?

That's the thing though. It looked extremely outlandish and fairly unrealistic, but for at least a split second, he made a big portion of viewers believe he was actually gonna do it. And that, to me, is awesome.

What freaked me out was Orton hissing. I get it, he's the viper, and he "coils" and "strikes" and whatnot, but he's legitimately hissing now ... that's weird. lol

He really did hiss? I thought that was just something some people were saying for fun. Wow, haha.

He really did hiss? I thought that was just something some people were saying for fun. Wow, haha.

Yeah, when he was holding the Miz at bay. They pushed in on Orton in the ring, and he dropped his head a little, and clenched his teeth, and let out this hiss ... it was really surreal. I'm waiting for that point when he starts flickering his tongue during promos. lol