The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

I don't know about everybody else i'm just speaking for myself but the name Finn Balor sounds so terrible.. like why does WWE not just let these guys keep their name instead of changing them and watering them down?

I disagree, Finn Balor has an Irish connection, plus a Game of Thrones connection, plus a D&D connection. That's win all around. And it sounds sweet on the tongue.

As for the name changes, branding, WWE trademark and licensing.

A lot of this can be attributed to CM Punk and his recent spat with the WWE. Pretty much every new talent will be rebranded and renamed. They will have input into their new names.

Brodus Clay and Kassius Ohno both 'picked' there names for various reasons.

Kassius for Cassius Clay and Ohno so it would rhyme with KO. Chris Hero deserves a lot of credit for one of the best bad names in recent wrestling history.

NXT Review:

Mojo vs Bull - Squash match.

Breeze vs Gabriel - Breeze attacked Mojo for bumping him on his way up the ramp. Solid match but the pace was slow. Gabriel dominated but lost after a Supermodel Kick/Beauty Shot combo.

Bliss vs Bayley - Solid match won by Bayley who needs a stronger finisher. Bliss was OK but she'll need to work hard to catch up to the other women.

Louis vs Amore - Louis was wearing head gear with a fake wig. His cartoonish facial expressions were fantastic. OK match. Louis was fired up but Enzo ripped his wig off and rolled him up.

Lucha Dragons vs The Ascension (NXT Tag Team Champsionship) - Good match with nice use of team moves on both sides but the ending did neither team a favor. Kalisto pinned Viktor after Itami distracted him. Itami then whooped Konner's ass.

Verdict: Solid show but still room for improvement.

Smackdown Review:

Miz vs Sandow - Good match. Ambrose won and escaped with the MITB briefcase after Rollins and Kane attacked him. Nice setup for Raw.

Battle Royale (Intercontinental Title Shot) - Solid match with a good ending. Cesaro threw Kofi into Swagger to eliminate them both at the same time.

The Usos vs Dust Bros (WWE Tag Team Championship) - Good match. The Usos hit a Doomsday Device/Splash combo and Goldust used his belt to force a DQ.

Natalya & Rosa vs LayRae - OK match. Rosa took the pin and in the 30 seconds she wrestled managed to look worse than Cameron and Eva Marie.

Cesaro vs Ziggler (Intercontinental Championship) - Good match. Cesaro got screwed because he had his hand on the ropes when he was pinned. But it was karmic payback for earlier when he was using the ropes to cheat and hiding it from the ref. This feud should give us a few quality matches.

Rusev vs Big Show - Surprisingly good match. Lana distracted Big Show and Rusev beat him with the Russian flag for a DQ. Then Big Show KO'd him. The match did well to highlight Rusev's selling ability and ring psychology.

Verdict: Good show and better than NXT this week. I wonder if the Head Writer exchange has anything to do with it.

As true as that may be, Andre is only "famous" for his stuff in the 80s since a lot of his prior work is a victim of past times and lack of footage but he was really mobile in his day. By the time WM3 came around he probably shouldn't have been wrestling at all

Look at how he works pretty standard in this match (especially by 70s standards). he even sells a lot and takes bumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbXNrNNVW4

Andre was actually really really a good WRESTLER in his day but by the time stuff got on TV his size was all he had.

He is more agile and flexible than Andre ever was.

And definately more than Khali, who's kinda the only reference now. :p

And I agree that Rosa Mendez is perhaps the worst worker in the business right now. Reminds me of TrAshley. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but she clearly isn't made for the business and is just the 'latino' diva atm. I'd advise them to find someone better. You shouldn't look hard (though I can't name someone). KellyKelly started out as crap as well, but eventually managed to craft her own (watchable) style/moveset. Victoria and Trish were recruited out of nowhere and look where they got... You just need the mindset, and Rosa ain't got it.

And definately more than Khali, who's kinda the only reference now. :p

And I agree that Rosa Mendez is perhaps the worst worker in the business right now. Reminds me of TrAshley. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but she clearly isn't made for the business and is just the 'latino' diva atm. I'd advise them to find someone better. You shouldn't look hard (though I can't name someone). KellyKelly started out as crap as well, but eventually managed to craft her own (watchable) style/moveset. Victoria and Trish were recruited out of nowhere and look where they got... You just need the mindset, and Rosa ain't got it.

The most obvious choice would probably be Rosita from TNA, considering she already works for WWE in some capacity (I think she's just got a generic NXT deal). She's appeared a few times as a Rosebud, but would be an obvious upgrade over Rosa. The other option that jumps out at me as having some form of WWE's look would be Ivelisse from Shine/Tough Enough. I'm sure there's more but those are the first two I can think of that would be upgrades over Rosa in literally every way.

As true as that may be, Andre is only "famous" for his stuff in the 80s since a lot of his prior work is a victim of past times and lack of footage but he was really mobile in his day. By the time WM3 came around he probably shouldn't have been wrestling at all

Look at how he works pretty standard in this match (especially by 70s standards). he even sells a lot and takes bumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbXNrNNVW4

Andre was actually really really a good WRESTLER in his day but by the time stuff got on TV his size was all he had.

Showtime's so right young Andre was a different beast entirely from the one who fought Hogan. Sure he would never be compared to an Eddie Guererro or Chris Jericho with his mobility and technical skills, but when you look at how big men worked especially back then, he was a fabulous wrestler. Almost too good. Rumor has it it was Vince McMahon Sr who made Andre stop doing dropkicks and taking bumps and things like that to really sell his size as a threat.

IMO Andre's the best ever. The dude sold out shows just by being who he was. He was a promoter's dream. What a gift to the business that man was!

The most obvious choice would probably be Rosita from TNA, considering she already works for WWE in some capacity (I think she's just got a generic NXT deal). She's appeared a few times as a Rosebud, but would be an obvious upgrade over Rosa. The other option that jumps out at me as having some form of WWE's look would be Ivelisse from Shine/Tough Enough. I'm sure there's more but those are the first two I can think of that would be upgrades over Rosa in literally every way.

The odd thing about you mentioning Ivelisse is that the WWE had her at one point and for some reason didn't capitalize on it. I understand that the Ivelisse they had isn't the one we know today because she's gotten a lot better. However if they kept her down in NXT long enough she would have eventually gotten to the point she's at now in terms of her in ring skill but the difference would be that it would have happened in the WWE system. Instead they released her and she got better elsewhere which I'm actually happy for her because while women make good money in WWE, they don't get to wrestle like they do on the independent scene.

The odd thing about you mentioning Ivelisse is that the WWE had her at one point and for some reason didn't capitalize on it. I understand that the Ivelisse they had isn't the one we know today because she's gotten a lot better. However if they kept her down in NXT long enough she would have eventually gotten to the point she's at now in terms of her in ring skill but the difference would be that it would have happened in the WWE system. Instead they released her and she got better elsewhere which I'm actually happy for her because while women make good money in WWE, they don't get to wrestle like they do on the independent scene.

They can just sign her back if they need her. WWE never feels like they drop the ball with talent. There's an arrogance there on WWE's part on this issue and almost rightfully so. Velez is a perfect example. They released her and she became the master of her destiny. She chose to work hard, keep at it, travel around, get a lot better (and i very much agree with you she's a lot better now than she was two years ago) and develop off of their payroll. If they felt they needed her back she's literally a phone call away at this point. And they didnt have to pay her for two years to sit on NXT and stagnate when there are/were other female workers they'd rather develop.

WWE doesn't really let talent "slip away" as there's almost no where else for a worker to slip to that WWE can't reach them if they need them.

upgrades over Rosa in literally every way.

In our eyes, but perhaps not WWE's, as they count extra-curricular performance as well (being on their reality show 'total divas'). This match on RAW was a piece of crap, but golden boy Tyson Kidd.

As for the opening segment of RAW. I thought Steph's remark on the particular chants was hilarious (being a Punk fan).

And yet again Ambrose carries RAW. Such funny lines.

I don't get the Rosa hate. She doesn't botch anything at least.

In general I've found the Divas division to be on a steep uprise. AJ and Paige being in the title hunt indefinitely is nothing but good news. Both Bellas are improving. Alicia Fox, Summer Rae, and Layla have solid personalities. Fox in general is going to be lifted by association with Paige.

I'm SO glad the Bellas have two distinct characters now. Bree is now in the underdog face role, a lesser version of her husband's gimmick. And Nikki is almost the 'monster heel' of the diva's division now. And I think WWE should go further with that. When she beat down both AJ and Paige a few weeks ago, it was the first time EVER I found her to be interesting. I've always found Bree to be the better Diva but some good writing could change that.

Raw Review:

The Good - Ambrose and Mizdow were awesome. Ziggler stole the show in a good IC title match. Noble & Mercury made good Authority goons. Cesaro and Orton might be turning babyface soon. Nattie's Husband.

The Bad - Not enough quality matches. Ambrose needs a better finisher. 3 Divas matches on 1 show is overkill. Rosa and Eva Marie.

Verdict: Raw is slowly improving since Ambrose returned but it could be a lot better. Too many predictable DQs and roll-up finishes and not enough quality wrestling.

http://i.imgur.com/GsI5gQB.gif%5B/url%5D

I don't get the Rosa hate. She doesn't botch anything at least.

In general I've found the Divas division to be on a steep uprise. AJ and Paige being in the title hunt indefinitely is nothing but good news. Both Bellas are improving. Alicia Fox, Summer Rae, and Layla have solid personalities. Fox in general is going to be lifted by association with Paige.

I'm SO glad the Bellas have two distinct characters now. Bree is now in the underdog face role, a lesser version of her husband's gimmick. And Nikki is almost the 'monster heel' of the diva's division now. And I think WWE should go further with that. When she beat down both AJ and Paige a few weeks ago, it was the first time EVER I found her to be interesting. I've always found Bree to be the better Diva but some good writing could change that.

Rosa is awkward and slow (and recently out of rehab), what you'd expect from a Tough Enough rookie, not someone who's wrestling on the main shows every week. Her sucking up to Michael Hayes and getting on Total Divas is the reason why she still has a job.

The Bellas are OK when their mic time is kept to a minimum. I expect AJ and Nikki to come out on top to setup a new title feud. I just hope Paige and AJ can have a legit NXT-style womens match at HIAC.

Rosa is awkward and slow (and recently out of rehab), what you'd expect from a Tough Enough rookie, not someone who's wrestling on the main shows every week. Her sucking up to Michael Hayes and getting on Total Divas is the reason why she still has a job.

The Bellas are OK when their mic time is kept to a minimum. I expect AJ and Nikki to come out on top to setup a new title feud. I just hope Paige and AJ can have a legit NXT-style womens match at HIAC.

Giggity

Ambrose is indeed someone who can carry en entire show. Their investment in the Shield has born some fruits at least, as the other two are doing well too.

The diva division could've been awesome, with AJ and Paige carrying the whole thing and Naomi being a good worker, but like many point out it's being dragged down by Eva Marie and Rosa. Why can't they just be on the reality show and appearing as managers for tag teams? Why waste parts of a show by letting them work matches that are barely watchable?

Ambrose is indeed someone who can carry en entire show. Their investment in the Shield has born some fruits at least, as the other two are doing well too.

The diva division could've been awesome, with AJ and Paige carrying the whole thing and Naomi being a good worker, but like many point out it's being dragged down by Eva Marie and Rosa. Why can't they just be on the reality show and appearing as managers for tag teams? Why waste parts of a show by letting them work matches that are barely watchable?

For some odd reason, the general public finds those two interesting. I am truly at a loss as to why, because I feel they have more interesting people on the show then those two... as well as better looking. Examples: I find Naomi/Trinity to be the most level headed person on the show, more interesting, and more attractive. I find Natalya more like-able, way better in the ring, and more interesting. I find Cameron way more interesting in a "I can't wait to see what that crazy _____ does next!" type of way... if I were interested in drama that is. I also think she is more attractive, and better (as she actually seems to be improving) in the ring. I could go on and on to be honest.

As I said, I am at a loss as to why it really seems that the general public is more interested in those two then all the others.

Like someone suggested, they probably suck up to one of the policy makers. I see no other rational reason. I never watch the show so I don't know their characters apart from Cameron/Naomi/Summer/Nattie. Eva Marie's painted red hair is an awful sight imo. But indeed: for some reason she's been hyped as one of the hottest divas, but I fail to see why that is so. My advice (if they're so desperate for in-ring action) is to have them work the lesser shows. Not RAW of all places... For that show, you need to have close to 100% quality ratio. And this week's show... wasn't like that.