The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

Well Joe did move the needle somewhat for TNA's standards but your point stands that in total that is not the same as WWE standards. Also Joe moving that needle for the most part was contingent on his feud with Angle so it was both Joe and Angle that resulted in that. With Angle highly likely taking most of the credit for that.

I don't mean to <snip> out your post like this, but I wanted to concentrate here for a minute. I'm in agreement with you mostly, just want to make sure I'm understood a little bit.

Your talking about Samoa Joe in TNA, right? If this is the case, then I think you can understand where they were at that point compared to where they are now. Joe coming in and being a the badist s. o. b. on their roster isn't something that gave them huge ratings or really anything outside of what Joe already had before he went there... a Huge following for an Indy wrestler. Still bassically the same after all this time, he might have created a "few" more fans, but it's not in the same boat as he would be if he debuted in the WWE and was successfully thrown in the Main Event in the same way. That being said, he probably would (to this day) have a hard time getting him over in the span of months, let alone right away, in the WWE. I think we can look at Umaga (in the fact has some skill, built similar, etc.) and figure that it would take about the same amount of time for Joe to become that popular as well (in the WWE).

The second point you made I can agree with. They have a sort of cookie cutter thing they do with most of the wrestler's... although they've added a few types since the popularity of Mysterio... we now have our Even Bourne's and "flashy" high flying mover types, and they are introduced as such.

These are standards that have proven to be a way to get someone over. I would figure if they can't get any momentum with "standards" then I'm not going to invest alot of time in them working out some other gimmick that might work better. I'll do my best to make the standard work, and then I'll let it go where it seems to go, and hope the worker grasps onto something.

As for people that do end up standing out, I'm going to work something special with them, and hope they stand out even more. However, it's a standard "good" vs. "Bad" that is going to always be there, unless something drastic occurs. I would think you would have to have an amazing skill on the roster to "break" the mold though. I don't see it working just because the creative team decides to do something unique.. it takes the talent to carry it out as well.

well i said joe because he was the first guy who was not ex wwe/wcw wrestler to join that did bring other viewers due to following which was not as big as rvd/hardy/hogan fan following but it was big for an indie guy...

im not saying that good vs evil dont work and what not its just so many of the wwe roster outside of the main event dont seem to have much in the way of personality in some ways. and those that do are basicly the same as each other. i like even bourne and john morrison but they dont seem to get air time when it comes to showing personality (yes jomo gets bits here and there like the free running he did the other week backstage but when did they last give him decent promo time?)

LOL true, i never thought of it that way. the feud with Miz, i assumed was Cena giving him the rub, trying to push him UP a notch not Cena down. I guess I am wrong there as well.

No, you have that right actually. I'm not sure how you took what I said and come to a different conclusion, but I did not intent to make you think differently...

It goes both ways though, Orton as a Heel gave Dibiase and Rhodes a "rub" as well. The only reason I bring that up, is I'm unsure of your reasoning for the statement above, and it almost sounds like you might not realise that Heels give rubs as well (Chris Jericho is the best example I can think of).

Well Joe did move the needle somewhat for TNA's standards but your point stands that in total that is not the same as WWE standards. Also Joe moving that needle for the most part was contingent on his feud with Angle so it was both Joe and Angle that resulted in that. With Angle highly likely taking most of the credit for that.

Angle come when Joe was already established as bassically "The Best" on the TNA roster. Angle went up against Joe to establish himself as a "main" player. The difference here is that Angle didn't need it, and it helped Joe, but.... as I said it must take more then the 1.0 type viewing audience to "make" a big enough difference. So Bassically TNA's roster is stagnant. It don't move much, and the main players are going to remain the same. AJ is never going to be as known as Angle, but putting him in there with Flair, Hogan, Angle, etc. helps an awefull lot. Imagine where he would be in terms of popularity, if they had the viewing audience of RAW. He would be a huge star in my opinion... He could go to the WWE right now and be more then a Midcarder. He is one of the few though, that would be able to start in the middle not the bottum (far as "homegrown" goes).

Are the tag titles being defended tonight? Ya know on the night where all the gold is supposedly on the line?

Drew McIntyre and Dashing Cody Rhodes won a match against Hart Dynasty on SmackDown. When a team beats a champion in a non-title match, they typically get a title shot. Which has to be tonight.

Big Show and CM Punk at least are former World Champions. Night of Champions = Titles are defended. Nothing wrong with a filler match featuring Chicago's own CM Punk.

McCool = undisputed. Continue to roll along as PWI #1 female wrestler. Gotta be the Styles Clash move she executes.

Apparently....Usos? lol. Replacing Dashing Cody Rhodes with the Usos. <-- n/m PWTorch needs to update their page better.

Borne and Henry have tagged in the past (wasn't it Henry who helped Borne out against Edge on 9/12 Raw? yes). Drew and Cody have an alliance the last month against the team of Twitt Hardy and Christian. They were also on the 900th episode of Raw in a no contest. Santino and Kozlov been teaming for over a couple of months. Undefeated as a tag team. But their undefeated streak is irrelevant. They should just add win streaks to it like WCW did to Goldberg. So today's StarrCade 1998 for them. Usos don't belong in there (enhancement talent). R-Truth and Morrison should have taken their place but Morrison has been receiving a singles push the last two weeks (win over Jericho, screwed over in his match against Sheamus by Jericho).

Guess not. Yet they have a non-title match in Show vs. Punk. Figures.

Anyway, the Miz/Daniel Bryan hype video was exquisite. WWE knows how to make 'em.

They should have made it a number one contender's match or billled it is a battle between former WHC/ECW Champions.

Borne and Henry have tagged in the past (wasn't it Henry who helped Borne out against Edge on 9/12 Raw? yes). Drew and Cody have an alliance the last month against the team of Twitt Hardy and Christian. They were also on the 900th episode of Raw in a no contest. Santino and Kozlov been teaming for over a couple of months. Undefeated as a tag team. But their undefeated streak is irrelevant. They should just add win streaks to it like WCW did to Goldberg. So today's StarrCade 1998 for them. Usos don't belong in there (enhancement talent). R-Truth and Morrison should have taken their place but Morrison has been receiving a singles push the last two weeks (win over Jericho, screwed over in his match against Sheamus by Jericho).

Doesn't matter Jaysin's point still stands. Just because they have tagged occasionally or lately doesn't make them a tag team. All those undercard real teams could really get a help from the exposure. The thrown together ones are just that thrown together till they figure out what to do with them as singles wrestlers.

Pros of NOC

--------------

Daniel Bryan wins the US title

Kane actually beat UT clean to retain

Cons of NOC

-----------------

The Hart Dynasty got screwed out of their titles in a clusterf*ckmaggedon

The Divas unification match had a horribly botched ending (in my mind) and that actually makes me really sad because it was an historic match

Punk is beaten in less then 5 minutes by Big Show and there doesn't appear to be any storyline advancement on the horizon for the Straight Edge Savoir

Meh of NOC

------------------

Everything else

Doesn't matter Jaysin's point still stands. Just because they have tagged occasionally or lately doesn't make them a tag team. All those undercard real teams could really get a help from the exposure. The thrown together ones are just that thrown together till they figure out what to do with them as singles wrestlers.

But they been thrown together before and participated in more than 5 tag matches together. Participated as a team before. Santino and Kozlov been together since their dance off at Viewer Choice Raw (start of the Summer). Dashing Cody Rhodes and Drew McIntyre formed an alliance the SmackDown after SummerSlam when Dashing Cody Rhodes helped Drew beat the 140 characters out of Twitt Hardy.

However, Borne/Mark Henry and maybe Usos (Santino/Kozlov italian koltov them plenty of times) should have been replaced with Dudebusters and Gate Crashers. But i believe Gatecrashers and Dudebusters are in a best of 99 match series on Superstars. Maybe when they conclude their best of 99 series, they'll get thrown in.

So replace Borne/Mark Henry then with Palace of Truth or Wisdom of Truth team. Morrison / R-Truth. However, looking back the last month, Morrison/Truth had a no.1 contenders match at 900th edition of Raw with Dashing Drew (new tag champs name?). But i think plans changed with Morrison after defeating Jericho two weeks ago and coming close of being the sixth man in the six pack challenge (til Jericho nailed him with a chair).

The Miz should wait for HITC. Cash it in after Satan's Cell match versus cashing it in before hands and having to get into the cage to defend your title two weeks from now.

Cena is making another movie and shooting starts in October. He'll probably spend time w/filming and Raw / PPV appearances.

Kane -vs- The UnderTaker 13th year anniversary = October 5, 2010.... Hell in the Cell 2010 takes place on 10/3. 13 years since the day a masked Kane opened the doors of the Cell and tombstoned the UnderTaker.

It was an okay night. Nothing really outstanding, but not really godamm awful either. Or maybe the Divas match was awful, but I prefered to take care of my laundry during that time. I can't comment either on Kane/Taker match, I barely watched, I have absolutely zero interest in that story.

Main event was pretty entertaining even though the crowing of Orton was predictable. Sign of a new time : Orton was introduced last, not Cena, basically confirming the fact that Orton is very over and has a lot of momentum right now; I might even go as far as saying that he's the number #1 face right now.

For a throw away match, I actually enjoyed the tag titles bout. I thought it was good booking.

I'm glad they gave Miz and Bryan a long time to tell their story. The title switch was expected, it makes a lot of senses in the story, but I'm still not sold on Bryan as a credible threat to anything but career midcarders. Is it just me or The Miz tried to wrestle differently in that match ?

this was the first time, i actually watched, A wwe event in a long time, and it maybe because i was watching it in the early hours of the morning but i really enjoyed it, as predictable as it was i enjoyed the main event

only match i didn't watch was the diva's and didn't have much interest in the Dolph Ziggler? vs Kofi Kingston

so Night of Champions was good for me

Just realized.... Show vs Punk was there because otherwise, all the Smackdown matches had heel wins. They must've realized that early on, s'why they booked the match in the first place...

The problem with smackdown right now, and they need to fix it after this storyline with taker-kane is that the show has three legitimate "monsters" in show, kane, and taker.

Tough to justify any win by a smaller/normal size worker over any of those guys once in a while, never mind a non-monster title run when 3 7 foot guys, two of them established stars and one a living legend.

It's really clogging up the top of Smackdown's card and keeping it stale. They need to finish off this kane/taker fued, which while enjoyable really doesn't need to go on forever, and put that belt on a "regular" size worker so we can get some good title matches from smackdown at PPV's

Edit: overall, a good card. Good match between miz and DB, with the right result. was kinda surprised the show ended 20 minutes early and no swerve happened. IF i had payed for that show, i would have been pissed it essentially ended at 10:30 and had 10 minutes of orton posing.

Also, i hope that's not the way Y2J's WWE career ends. hopefully he signs a new deal and comes back after some time off touring with his band, that would be an awful way to leave it with him.

at least they've set up a face turn when he comes back, and i did like how the whole match stopped because they were all shocked.