The Official TNA / Impact / GFW Discussion Thread

Adam Ryland

I love the backwards approach that the IWC has taken. Everyone loved Jeff Hardy in WWE the past year, and raved about his performances and his program with CM Punk. Now he signs with TNA and he's a nobody, a nothing and not a big name guy. He was WWE champion because he was arguably the most over guy on the roster, and made them a TON of money on merchandising.

You can hate on his personal issues all you want, but there is no way to objectively claim that he isn't a big acquisition for TNA. I know he was in TNA before and it didn't amount too much, but there are two BIG differances between this time and last time. The first being the fact that Hardy has been out of the spotlight for only a couple of months this time, after spending months front and center in the WWE spotlight. He was a big deal there, and they made his departure a big deal too. The second being that TNA is in a better position now, with more of a mainstream name. Now only time will tell how it all plays out, but this is a smart move by TNA, they have not only gotten one of the biggest available names to sign with them, but he is also the most currently relevant name.

I love the backwards approach that the IWC has taken. Everyone loved Jeff Hardy in WWE the past year, and raved about his performances and his program with CM Punk. Now he signs with TNA and he's a nobody, a nothing and not a big name guy. He was WWE champion because he was arguably the most over guy on the roster, and made them a TON of money on merchandising.

You can hate on his personal issues all you want, but there is no way to objectively claim that he isn't a big acquisition for TNA. I know he was in TNA before and it didn't amount too much, but there are two BIG differances between this time and last time. The first being the fact that Hardy has been out of the spotlight for only a couple of months this time, after spending months front and center in the WWE spotlight. He was a big deal there, and they made his departure a big deal too. The second being that TNA is in a better position now, with more of a mainstream name. Now only time will tell how it all plays out, but this is a smart move by TNA, they have not only gotten one of the biggest available names to sign with them, but he is also the most currently relevant name.

And yet look what they do with him on his debut. THAT's the issue here.

Am I the only one who can't buy into Hardy as a World champion? One appearance in TNA doesn't dictate what his role will be either. Sure, he's a star, but the TNA audience has seen him already in TNA.

I don't think the point is the "TNA audience". The point is to get the WWE Audience or older fans or newer fans to tune in. You know, increase ratings, increase profit. EDIT: This worked on me. I have little-to-no respect for TNA as a television product, but with Jeff on there I'm actually planning to watch it next Thursaday.

As for buying Jeff as a World Champion... In the old days, no, but in the days of Brand Splits and the TNA belt being held by Mick Foley and Itsy Bitsy AJ, I can buy it.

Hmm. CM Punk's still doing a bit of anti-Jeff schtick on Smackdown... Wonder what'll happen to that.

And yet look what they do with him on his debut. THAT's the issue here.

Agreed they could have handled it better but also a lot worse. Instant title contender -> IWC gripes about ex wwe guy getting insta push.

Just a cameo or teasers -> no one believes he has signed.

Promo-> not his strong suit.

This way he can elevate the whole X-Division and it plays to his skills and after that can move on to better things. Haven't a lot of people been clamoring for more X-Division and for them to elevate it? What better way then to Have Jeff Freaking Hardy in it?

What ever your personal opinions on him as a performer/personal life he is a big name no doubt about it, actually the biggest available relevant name they could get. (not counting Rock, Austin and Lesnar here.)

Is TNA taking a risk with his court date looming yes. Could Jeff be more happier in TNA with a lighter schedule and more lifestyle freedom yes.

Could one part of that lifestyle have bad consequences? Yes. Would being in TNA increase the chance of that happening? No imho as Jeff will be Jeff and the heavier schedule puts more stress on him leading to worse choices in that category which balances out the lighter amount of control.

Dude is a big name period, crowd reaction + merchandise + match/feud approval all top notch.

Are the TNA fans sick of seeing him again? Hell No. Different Jeff, different TNA, different and more fans.

This way he can elevate the whole X-Division and it plays to his skills

I don't think it plays into his skills at all. Other than the Whisper In The Wind and the Swanton, Jeff wrestles a pretty typical WWE style. Shine-Heat-Comeback-Finish, basic moves with a couple of highspots thrown in. He's great at that style, his matches with Punk and Morrison and Edge were fantastic, but the X-Division guys do a totally different thing. I watched AJ/ANgle and Orton/Kofi simultaniously last night, and the differences were immense. Apples and Oranges. Jeff's gives good orange juice, but I don't want him near my apple sauce.

I kinda want to see him fight Nigel.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3293/3123977500_9d78bb90d7.jpg

The fact that he became World Champ, and people cheered him and were excited doesn't mean I have to buy into him being a World Champ. Yeah, it happened, but to me, it was still meh.

Does anyone know when the TV ratings will be out?

I'm interested in seeing if TNA was able to do a 1.0 for the 3 hours and I also want to see how big of a drop-off there was between hour 1 and hours 2 and 3.

Last thing to be interesting is if the last half hour where Kurt & AJ put on a very good match lifted their numbers any.

Am I the only one who can't buy into Hardy as a World champion? One appearance in TNA doesn't dictate what his role will be either. Sure, he's a star, but the TNA audience has seen him already in TNA.

Yes, yes you are. We've all read your rants about Hardy and they are just as irrelevant now as they ever were. Just let it go.

Agreed they could have handled it better but also a lot worse. Instant title contender -> IWC gripes about ex wwe guy getting insta push.

Just a cameo or teasers -> no one believes he has signed.

Promo-> not his strong suit.

Hey, here is an idea: let him debut against someone that matters even a little bit, to start up a feud? Let him face Morgan, or Lashley, or Steiner, or someone with some small level of main event credibility? Nah, let's have him punk out freaking Homicide on a show that everyone is watching to see Hulk Hogan. Doesn't feel special at all, and it looks like Jeff gets to play in the minor leagues while Hogan does some "which side will he join" shtick where he has to decide which senior citizens' group is right for him.

This way he can elevate the whole X-Division and it plays to his skills and after that can move on to better things. Haven't a lot of people been clamoring for more X-Division and for them to elevate it? What better way then to Have Jeff Freaking Hardy in it?

Have people? Has the x-division ever had any fans other than "indy" fans who love spot after meaningless spot thrown together haphazardly? I don't know, I'd just scrap the division and keep the strong tag and knockout divisions, but that's just me. And, as-stated, Hardy's 2009 style is not the X-division style, and if he changes to fit the division it will basically be wiping away 5 years of in-ring improvement to be a 30-some year old spot monkey.

From a casual viewer with an undying love for WCW, I enjoyed the show. For once, the backstage skits weren't annoying nor felt too long - in fact, I enjoyed them more than most of the matches. And most importantly, the show as a whole left me wanting more. So I'd say it was a success.

Speaking of matches, the main event was pretty damn good. A bit too many near-falls and finishers that left to nothing (which imo damages the perceived threat of a finisher), but overall really really good.

I was a bit dissapointed to see that Hogan brought in The Nasty Boys, Val Venis and Orlando Jordan... but at least Ed Leslie didn't show up. Don't they have enough irrelevant midcarders already? It's not like people Venis and Jordan have any real star power or anything... oh, and Bubba The Love Sponge? Why oh why?

But I enjoyed the segments with Hall, Nash, X-Pac, Bischoff and Flair... and Hogan dressing up in black and teasing going heel several times was interesting. I missed Hardy's appereance, but from what I have read it was a dreadful match and rather wasted use of him. I mean, Homicide... really? But you can also look at it this way: the guy was the WWE's biggest draw not too long ago. Their world champion. And they're dying to get him back and still talk about him quite often. But in TNA, he's just a midcarder... I don't know whether it's intentional, but it kinda sends the signal that being big in WWE doesn't equal being big in TNA. Maybe TNA wants to show that now THEY are a big dog, just like when WWE has taken TNA main eventers like Christian and stuck them into the midcard?

Anyway, the show was overall so exciting because of Hogan and the return of other WCW oldies (added some good matches) that I did not even once bother to switch over to RAW to check out Bret. And looking at their matches, it doesn't really seem like I missed anything they haven't shown 8 times during the last couple of months already...

Well, this show pretty much put the nail in my "enjoying TNA" coffin. Just absolute garbage, with only one redeeming quality. And the AJ/Angle match wasn't even that good. It was OK. Doesn't make up for anything else though. Oh, wait, the knockouts tag match was OK as well. I don't much care about them, but they did a good job.

I thought the Angle/AJ match was great. It was without a doubt my favorite TNA match since I started watching a few months ago. I'm really looking forward to Jeff Hardy in the mix, and I always liked Shannon Moore too. Not the best personality, but his matches were always exciting. I think the only problem is that TNA was trying to do too much. Using the Nasty Boys for comedy spots would be fine with me, but I wish Venis and Jordan hadn't been brought on. And it remains to be seen what they can get out of Hall and Waltman. Hogan is cool, although I was hoping for a face run. And man, Eric Bischoff can still make me hate him without breaking a sweat.

I agree with Hive. It brought back great memories of WCW. If TNA becomes a WCW clone then I will just love TNA even more! :p Besides that, that was the most entertaining TNA Impact ever IMO! Maybe not in match terms, but this has been the first wrestling TV Show in a while that I didn't get bored sitting through the whole thing. By the way, did I miss anything important on RAW?

The fact that he became World Champ, and people cheered him and were excited doesn't mean I have to buy into him being a World Champ. Yeah, it happened, but to me, it was still meh.

agreed. i NEVER have bought him as a main eventer or as Champ. it felt forced. Ive always stated this. With that being said, TNA and the X division is a good fit.

Last thing to be interesting is if the last half hour where Kurt & AJ put on a very good match lifted their numbers any.

Stuff like this in relation to ratings always confuses the hell out of me. If someone isn't physically watching, how would a good match make them tune in? They wouldn't know about 'til afterwards at least!

Ok finally getting to watch this. That was not their normal Steel Asylum setup or quality, yes it is normally red with a dome on top but normally its a lot more stable etc. It really seemed thrown together last minute and the Asylum matches I have seen before have been much better in terms of presentation, length and match quality. DQ in a cage yeah bs can't say more then that. Still Jeff Hardy!!!!! Don't like the tune though or the toned down haircut etc as that is/was part of his allure.

For a good/normal Asylum match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QXXaXLuOLM

Also X-Divison does not equate to spot monkey! Ill give you Red but the rest in that match have shown they can have a very good match . 8 People with so little time was a bad idea though.

Victim of too much hype perhaps. Somewhat mixed on Impact... I guess we'll see the real lay of the land (so to speak) in a few shows time when things settle into place. To be honest, this show reminded me of the first 2 hour Impact where they simply crammed too much in and the lack of focus hurt. I'm disappointed in some respects, but pleased in others... mainly seeing Bischoff onscreen in his old role and Shannon Moore (I've always been a sucker for the Mattitude Follower). Not too sure on Jeff Hardy, although I have to smile at the sudden turn of a few peoples opinions. I would have rather had RVD... perhaps somewhere down the line. I certainly don't think it was the home run hit that TNA were hoping for and the cameos/debuts/redebuts whilst fun, seemed overkill.

Who knows what number the show did. Probably somewhere in the 1.4 region at best. I doubt the 'war' is on and judging by RAW this week, I really hope it wasn't an example of the WWE 'trying' or raising their game. I craved a Bret Hart comeback around the time of Backlash a few years ago when Benoit was facing HBK and thought that was probably the most opportune time if he were ever to step into a WWE return. Now that it's finally happened... it felt so empty and lacking.

Although the Monday Night War 'hype' will be gone, hopefully next week will see better on both counts.

Running commentary from me if ppl don't mind.

Krystal + Lashley: good promo, Halle berry looks, heel turn to face AJ.

Beautifull People: no Love unfortunately but sends strong non PG message and was better done then the ECW version imho.

Motorcade stuff nice to make it all seem extra important and who is the mystery man? Prolly Bischoff or upcoming surprise.

Flair! And he goes into AJ's room?

Hall has gained weight again but was still cool Hey Yo = mark out waltman was ok.

The Hogan promo: Cool entrance with the quasi NWO tune(, should have done same type of tune for Hardy but prolly no time,) and really milking the crowd response imho not so much the bad hip. All Day in the back ok nice snafu but can be forgiven. Other snafu that hasn't been commented on is Hall saying growing up watching Hogan wrestling is impossible as they are close to the same age. 51 - 56.

On the note of them not needing to be there to make the same statement I actually liked it better this way as it also gives you the visual and it works better in a direct confrentation way then just empty promises plus they still have some name value. Bisschoff is still great on the mic and Sting is back in the rafters. TNAManiacs, Earn your spot, learning from mistakes, changing everything for the better in the upcoming time. Good message that came across loud and clear.

PS Dixie in an interview she already gave is promising more surprises to come even in the field of signings. Sry can't remember where I read it but it was a good source imho or wouldn't type it here.

Like Hamada's new T-Shirt although I prefer the robe. The backstage attacks is where it started getting too messy and convoluted imho. Hamada tweaked leg but still toughened it out good on her. I got two words for ya Divas.... Suck It! lolz. Should have done this match second then Tara vs ODB third so that it was unopposed.

Who knows what number the show did. Probably somewhere in the 1.4 region at best. I doubt the 'war' is on and judging by RAW this week, I really hope it wasn't an example of the WWE 'trying' or raising their game. I craved a Bret Hart comeback around the time of Backlash a few years ago when Benoit was facing HBK and thought that was probably the most opportune time if he were ever to step into a WWE return. Now that it's finally happened... it felt so empty and lacking.

Although the Monday Night War 'hype' will be gone, hopefully next week will see better on both counts.

They definitely weren't trying that. I don't think the WWE tried to up their game at all. The Bret appearance was just to put a cherry on the show, and it was something somewhat overdue(at least it happened while Bret is still able to walk). It was funny to see people think that Raw last night was drab and "as usual" when... to be honest, that was the point. They don't give a rat's ass about TNA, so why should they go out of their way to make a really special memorable show with fireworks and the like?

I think this is another case of smarks putting too much hype into this thing(by this, I mean Jan 4th). TNA was gonna pull all the stops, but hardly from WWE's part. It was just a regular night to them, and rightfully so.

I saw a good portion of this show however, mostly the main-event which I loved. But after this match, AJ and Angle better start re-building their finishers and whatnot. :\