The Official TNA / Impact / GFW Discussion Thread

Adam Ryland

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Oh, Booker and Scotty never put anyone over? I think Magnus & Doug Williams would like a word with you. <p> </p><p> Booker and Scotty both put people over in their TNA runs at various times. </p><p> </p><p> and Jarrett has put over AJ countless times back before AJ was an established TNA star.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> Losing and putting over are different in my opinion. Lose to them are one thing...putting them over is making them into a star</p>

<p>Booker and Steiner only lost to the BI once and that was in a multi man tag match where Booker was carried out smiling by stretcher and Beer Money where the last eliminated after they had taken out Steiner.</p><p> </p><p>

Agreed saba on the difference. With the adage that it is a star by TNA's standards. On Jarrett I was talking perception. The dude can still go but he is seen as being one of the "old" guys "legends" whatever you want to call him. He is not a true legend without the apostrophes. But being a co founder and due to planet Jarrett he is a TNA "legend" so to speak.</p>

<p>Rumour has it that Micky James will return to TNA on the 10/7 live impact.</p><p> </p><p>

<a href="http://www.tnasylum.com/2010/09/update-on-mickie-james-and-tna.html#more" rel="external nofollow">http://www.tnasylum.com/2010/09/update-on-mickie-james-and-tna.html#more</a></p><p> </p><p>

As always with wrestling rumour take it with a mountain of salt.</p>

Sting put over Abyss and re established AJ as a main eventer last year.

Real Estate Steve aka Sting has barely put anyone over since he arrived in TNA. The only one I can recall him losing to cleanly is AJ Styles, and even then I don't think Styles needed the rub all that much to be seen as a main event calibre talent in the eyes of the TNA fanbase.

I can recall Abyss winning the NWA belt from Sting, but in some lame fashion when the belt could be won on a DQ...thus showing that Real Estate Steve wasn't prepared to put the monster over clean on that occasion and I honestly don't recall Abyss being put over clean by the Stinger since.

The worst case of Real Estate Steve's ego was when he had a chance to put over Christopher Daniels as a main event calibre several years back. They worked a short programme which saw Sting dominate Daniels in a few backstage brawls (despite Daniels being the heel) and then jobbing Daniels out clean in a match that lasted about six minutes. For all the great matches Daniels had with the X-Division, getting the rub from Sting would have truly put him over but Steve's ego got in the way. Instead of helping to put Daniels over, the programme pretty much buried him.

Over the years people have talked about Kevin Nash being selfish but Sting has shown himself to be no better in being prepared to give younger talent the rub.

I hate when people say that.

Do you know that Sting was asked to put over Christopher Daniels? Do you know that he was asked to put over anyone that he refused to do so?

TNA execs have highly prized Sting as made obvious by the fact that they kept giving him the belt at this late stage in his career and getting him a big contract paid by a third party. You assume that because he wasn't putting over a guy like Christopher Daniels that means he was refusing to do so, but based on booking decisions isn't it just as likely that he was never asked? That the booking team valued Sting much more highly than Christopher Daniels and therefore put Sting over in that feud to keep HIS star protected?

When Abyss beat Sting for the NWA title, he did want to lose clean and asked to, but for whatever reason the booking team declined. I think the Daniels things was more because the program was intended to go longer than it did but for some reason they cut it short and they probably figured they may as well put the babyface over if it's only the one match.

I hate when people say that.

Do you know that Sting was asked to put over Christopher Daniels? Do you know that he was asked to put over anyone that he refused to do so?

TNA execs have highly prized Sting as made obvious by the fact that they kept giving him the belt at this late stage in his career and getting him a big contract paid by a third party. You assume that because he wasn't putting over a guy like Christopher Daniels that means he was refusing to do so, but based on booking decisions isn't it just as likely that he was never asked? That the booking team valued Sting much more highly than Christopher Daniels and therefore put Sting over in that feud to keep HIS star protected?

The way that Daniels feud panned out just smacked of a big name star protecting his spot and it doesn't matter that it was Daniels, it could have been any other wrestler who had the potential to be molded into a main event star. Had Sting lost that feud, would of his star power have disappeared ? If booked properly, then no....but perhaps it was bookings team fault and maybe I was wrong to directly accuse Sting of being a humungous egomaniac by not putting Daniels over in that feud :D

But the fact is apart from Styles who has he put over when he has been in TNA? I don't think he's the 'good guy' he's been painted to be throughout his career and whilst I don't think he's anywhere Hogan's level of ego, he's not a Kurt Angle or a Chris Jericho either.

The way that Daniels feud panned out just smacked of a big name star protecting his spot and it doesn't matter that it was Daniels, it could have been any other wrestler who had the potential to be molded into a main event star. Had Sting lost that feud, would of his star power have disappeared ? If booked properly, then no....but perhaps it was bookings team fault and maybe I was wrong to directly accuse Sting of being a humungous egomaniac by not putting Daniels over in that feud :D

Agreed, it seemed a strange feud from a booking perspective. I can remember Sting knocking Daniels around the Impact! Zone a couple of times and then going over him without any real fuss. Ignoring whether Daniels should have gone over or not, the 'feud' was one-sided and didn't do anything for either man (other I suppose than reinforce that Sting was higher up the card and could comfortably overcome someone on Daniels level), but then why use TV time in something that didn't even expand either character and produced a completely forgetable match? Of course TNA aren't exactly reknowned for their consistant and logical approach to booking all the time, but it felt like a feud being aborted for one reason or another.

And yeah, Sting passed the torch to AJ at Bound For Glory, which made it all the more annoying that AJ's promising run and a homegrown babyface champion was dismissed in order to make him 'lil naitch 2'. Not that some of Flair and AJ's interactions haven't been classic, but it was a rushed and at the time needless tuwn which cheapened the BFG outcome for me, aided by the fact that Sting has completely ignored AJ throughout the whole "why sting why" storyline.

Desmond Wolfe Health Update

TNA wrestler Desmond Wolfe is expected to be sidelined for at least a few months due to an undisclosed medical situation.

Powell's POV: Wolfe was tightlipped in the locker room at the TNA Impact tapings last week regarding his medical situation that prevented him and Magnus from working the TNA No Surrender pay-per-view. Wolfe was backstage at the Impact tapings last week, but Magnus was not flown in for the shows. There's no word yet on what the company intends to do with Magnus while Wolfe is sidelined.

Source: pw net

TNA wrestler Desmond Wolfe is expected to be sidelined for at least a few months due to an undisclosed medical situation.

Powell's POV: Wolfe was tightlipped in the locker room at the TNA Impact tapings last week regarding his medical situation that prevented him and Magnus from working the TNA No Surrender pay-per-view. Wolfe was backstage at the Impact tapings last week, but Magnus was not flown in for the shows. There's no word yet on what the company intends to do with Magnus while Wolfe is sidelined.

Source: pw net

Well i say Ballocks to that!

Jeff Hardy Legal Update

PWTorch has been in contact with individuals on the ground in North Carolina for a legal update on TNA wrestler Jeff Hardy.

The update we can provide is no date is currently set for Hardy's next Superior Court court appearance in Moore County, N.C. following his scheduled appearance on Thursday, September 9.

Hardy's appearance on Thursday was not a trial proceeding, but an administrative court appearance. We have a call in to the District Attorney's office in Moore County seeking further clarification on the next stage in the legal process.

-- Since being indicted on drug possession charges earlier this year, Hardy has been required to appear in-person to show the court that he is stable. Our understanding is the case has been continued several times with Hardy simply having to make an appearance before the court on a regular basis.

-- Hardy was arrested in September 2009 and eventually indicted on the charges of felony and misdemeanor drug possession in January 2010.

According to one individual we spoke to who covers legal proceedings in North Carolina, the reason for the stiff charges was due to previous cases in North Carolina setting precedent for harsh penalties where alleged drug possession and drug trafficking are involved.

Due to Hardy possessing excessive amounts of prescription drugs and steroids at the time of his arrest (262 Vicodin prescription pills, 180 Soma prescription pills, and 555 milliliters of anabolic steroids), he was slapped with charges that included felony drug trafficking, felony possession, misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia, and conspiracy to traffic opium.

We will continue to follow the story to provide an update on what's next for Hardy's legal proceeding.

<p>Main Event Announced for Live October 7th Show</p><p> </p><p>

TNA issued a press release on Wednesday to hype the live edition of TNA Impact that will air on October 7 on Spike TV. The press release states that the main event of the show will be a $100,000 battle royal gauntlet match featuring every wrestler who will compete at the Bound For Glory pay-per-view.</p><p> </p><p>

"Bound For Glory 2010’ is TNA's biggest event of the year, and to celebrate we’ve brought every single TNA Superstar competing at the pay-per-view to this live special event on Spike TV," Dixie Carter stated in the press release. “This will be an unforgettable night of action, surprises and some change for TNA.</p><p> </p><p>

Powell's POV: Some change? She's been teasing a major change on her Twitter page. I hope this isn't a sign that the big change she's been teasing for weeks won't be as significant as she's made it out to be.</p>

<p>Report on TNA's critical TV situation in their second-largest market</p><p> </p><p>

TNA's TV situation in the U.K., which is their second-largest TV market, is at critical status right now. By the end of the year, Impact could potentially be off the air due to the changing U.K. TV market.</p><p> </p><p>

Impact currently airs on Bravo, which is owned by Living TV Group. Sky TV (British Sky Broadcasting) has bought out Living TV Group, with the acquisition reportedly going through yesterday after a government review.</p><p> </p><p>

As a result of the acquisition, Sky has stated they will cancel Bravo, which they believe is too similar to their existing variety channel in the market. Sky does not want to run similar programming on side-by-side channels.</p><p> </p><p>

Impact would be left without a home when Bravo is canceled. No timetable has been announced on when the changes will be pushed through and become visible to customers, but indications are that it likely wouldn't happen until early 2011.</p><p> </p><p>

WWE TV currently airs on Sky's programming channels and there is reportedly an exclusivity agreement between WWE and Sky. It's unlikely TNA would be able to hook up with Sky due to the exclusivity protection.</p><p> </p><p>

TNA is reportedly confident they will find a new home for Impact to stay on U.K. TV next year. The importance of having a new TV home in the market is critical ahead of their annual U.K. tour in January headlined by Ric Flair.</p><p> </p><p>

We'll continue to monitor this changing situation and Impact's future in the U.K. market.</p><p> </p><p>

Update: TNA issued a brief statement in response to the news today on Impact's uncertain TV future.</p><p> </p><p>

“Following the acquisition of Virgin Media TV channels (now rebranded as The Living TV Group) by Sky, there has always been the possibility of fundamental changes to those channels, including Bravo. However, we remain confident in TNA’s position due to the outstanding ratings enjoyed in 2010, and our long term contract with the Living TV Group,” TNA executive VP Andy Barton said.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="TheEdgeOfReason" data-cite="TheEdgeOfReason" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I wonder where they would end up? I can't think of too many channels that might take them on. Channel 4 possibly? ESPN?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Channel 4 that would be strange (in a good way) they do need to fill that Big Bro time they have.</p>

<p>I only though that because they used to show the 'E back in the day. It would be a surprise but I think TNA would probably be a ratings winner if given time.</p><p> </p><p>

I can't really think of another channel. I assume Channel One is out of bounds if Sky own it due to the exclusivity agreement. Maybe Dave or G.O.L.D? TNA could actually struggle to get back onto TV.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="TheEdgeOfReason" data-cite="TheEdgeOfReason" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Maybe Dave or G.O.L.D? TNA could actually struggle to get back onto TV.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> They wont struggle - DAVE would love to have TNA, but could only pay peanuts. If they want any money then it's ESPN or... bust.</p>